Why Do Female Students Listen to Male Students' Questions Without Interacting?

• Thread starter theoritician
  • Start date
In summary, the old professors were talking and the female student wanted to leave but couldn't because the male student was talking. The female student has a big crush on the male professor and when she couldn't interrupt, she just left. The male professor is attracted to her and thinks she is smart.
rewebster said:
I agree that there are some women who appear to have no morals (some men are just out for one night stands only), but me 'asking' a woman out for 'dinner' , to me, means I pay---if the situation progresses, I tend to look at each situation (date) differently as they are initiated and the next one may be different.

"men are suckers"
If the man asks for the first date, he pays, if the woman asks for the first date, she pays. After one or two dates with a man, I then insist on paying at least every other time, I work, why not. For many years I made much more than the men I dated and it really did not feel right to have them pay.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Then you're a very honorable and above average woman with a morality that's rare in this world

-----------------

(most are married, or single again and know what makes it real)

--------------------------

and maybe its just maturity and avoiding the 'metasex'

Last edited:
No,all of the PF Sisterhood feel the same.

Evo said:
No,all of the PF Sisterhood feel the same.

"feel the same" about what?---which thing are you referring to?

rewebster said:
"feel the same" about what?---which thing are you referring to?
About paying their fair share.

Evo said:

they should date cyrus

rewebster said:
they should date cyrus
We all want to date cyrus, he has crabcakes.

Evo said:
We all want to date cyrus, he has crabcakes.

huh---so that's his secret--his crabs

rewebster said:
Then you're a very honorable and above average woman with a morality that's rare in this world

-----------------

(most are married, or single again and know what makes it real)

--------------------------

You can ask zenmaster to verify this if I ever lure him back here again. He definitely does NOT get to pay for all the dates. We take turns. Since we live in two different cities, it's been kind of working out that whichever of us pays for the travel expenses, the other pays for the meals, and we split the other costs of doing stuff together. It would be pretty crappy to expect him to pay for everything. Even on our first "date," we each paid part of it (though he got through on a loophole that he was technically traveling for business when I met up with him, so I let him pay for more since he got to expense it anyway).

rewebster said:
huh---so that's his secret--his crabs

:smile: :devil: That's awful! :smile:

rewebster said:
I've seen a lot of 'chumps' with money buy women drinks all night long

I was lamenting recently that I've grown too old. I never used to have to buy my own drinks when I went out to a bar. :rolleyes: I felt guilty, but it never stopped me from accepting them. If a bunch of losers wanted to buy me drinks to get me to talk to them, I'd accept the drinks and move on when I was done with that drink. The ones who came over to just talk without buying drinks were usually the ones I ended up swapping numbers with. They didn't need to bribe women to talk to them because they actually had something going for them besides their money. :-p

As for those with BMWs, I'll pass. The guys driving BMWs are always the a-holes out on the freeway who arrogantly think they own the road...just owning a BMW loses a few points on my scale of men.

Tonight, there were a bunch of guys out revving their Harleys while those of us sitting outside the bar were trying to drink and chat (outside tables) and it kept disrupting conversation. Yeah, they got attention from us women sitting there, as I commented, "Yep, too bad the Harley is the only thing between their legs worth showing off." :devil:

rewebster said:
What's "metasex"?

Evo said:

I agree completely. If a guy wants to pay for everything, every time, it seems like he wants to "buy me" like a prostitute, or he's treating me as an inferior, like a father treats a daughter. Neither inspires me romantically.

zoobyshoe said:
What's "metasex"?

Once you've had meta, you'll never go back. :smile:

I never bought a girl a drink in my life. I never even offered.

A girl most show me she's worth it before I'd even consider it.

morphism said:
Chump? So, say, if you pay for your girlfriend's dinner you're a chump? :smile:

I just read the rest of your "advice" and the tales of your glorious feats. Man, you got to love internet studs. :smile:

Come down to DC and I will take you out to a bar so you can watch and learn, stud. There not "glorious feats", there common occurrences. Thats what happens when you go out and can have a good time because you have a <personality>. I am merely pointing out what being a chump gets you. If you think I am wrong, just go read what the women in here are posting and reread what I said.

Last edited:
Wow this thread increased posts suddenly.

JasonRox said:

Same as me. One reason why my action have been sluggish with this girl is that she isn't extremely pretty. However appealing enough that if she shows large interest in me than I would too. However her other features seem to look promising like similar age, sharing similar interests in maths and physics, infact a bit of a mathematician/statistician herself. So I give her a high overall score and woman like her may be hard to find. That is why I still have my hopes with her and want to give it a chance even after this long.

Right now I am thinking of a study date. But we are not enrolled in the same subjects so it might be a serious problem with this route?

Last edited:
theoritician said:
Same as me. One reason why my action have been sluggish with this girl is that she isn't extremely visually appealing.
What does she look like?

theoritician said:
Wow this thread increased posts suddenly.

Same as me. One reason why my action have been sluggish with this girl is that she isn't extremely visually appealing. However appealing enough that if she shows large interest in me than I would too. However her other features seem to look promising like similar age, sharing similar interests in maths and physics, infact a bit of a mathematician/statistician herself. So I give her a high overall score and woman like her may be hard to find. That is why I still have my hopes with her and want to give it a chance even after this long.

Right now I am thinking of a study date. But we are not enrolled in the same subjects so it might be a serious problem with this route?

You had a crush on her almost 2 months ago. Your window of opportunity shut after about day 2 if she really had any interest in you. In fact, its probably going to be really really awkward now talking to her after this long. Id say find another girl to talk to, trust me there are lots and LOTS of other girls.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
You had a crush on her almost 2 months ago. Your window of opportunity shut after about day 2 if she really had any interest in you. In fact, its probably going to be really really awkward now talking to her after this long. Id say find another girl to talk to, trust me there are lots and LOTS of other girls.
Cyrus, you ever spontaneously sat on a girl's lap?

cyrusabdollahi said:

I have talked to her and it was all good many posts back. No awkardness although it took a month before I did that. Now I am ready for the next step which will not be too awkard provided she stays interested.

But for some reason this girl may also have the X factor in that she might share my personality which is truly a rarity. I can't see why go for another girl before this one is totally crossed out.

Last edited:
theoritician said:
I have talked to her and it was all good many posts back. No awkardness although it took a month before I did that. Now I am ready for the next step which will not be too awkard provided she stays interested.

What does she look like?

zoobyshoe said:
What does she look like?

Don't get me wrong, she is appealing and desireable. But her look just dosen't make me have goosebumps or make me immediately shut my eyes and dream...

I can't describe what she looks like. Nor could I describe anyone else.

Last edited:
theoritician said:
Don't get me wrong, she is appealing and desireable. But her look just dosen't make me have goosebumps or make me immediately shut my eyes and dream...

Height to weight ratio. Hair color and length. Eye color. Complexion status: light, medium, dark. Zits? Long face, wide face, oval face, triangular, square? Breasts: large, medium, small? Nicely shaped, OK shaped. Strangely shaped (i.e. hound dog noses, bananas, empty wallets?) Butt: bubble butt, pear shaped, flat, cellulite city:two old baked potatos. You ought to start building up a vocabulary to describe women.

Ok zooby, that's a bit much. And personal tastes differ.
And Moonbear, I like BMW's, heck I wouldn't mind owning one, are you saying I am an A-hole? I thought educated persons avoided un-founded generalisations. Mercedes drivers are the real a-holes imo.

Anyway, theoritician, what you need to do is hsow her your sense of humour. As you are leaving the class say somethin humourous (sp?) to her, then jump into a conversation, about anything really. Things will flow from there. oh yes, the quip shouldn't sound too rehearsed, even if it s.

qspeechc said:
Ok zooby, that's a bit much. And personal tastes differ.
I don't mind if you're partial to hound dog noses.

zoobyshoe said:
What's "metasex"?

Quantity, not quality---approaching hedonism (not the homonym-heathenism)---one night stands (girls, girls, girls)---going for just the feeling of it, rather than any emotional ties

Moonbear said:
You can ask zenmaster to verify this if I ever lure him back here again. He definitely does NOT get to pay for all the dates. We take turns. Since we live in two different cities, it's been kind of working out that whichever of us pays for the travel expenses, the other pays for the meals, and we split the other costs of doing stuff together. It would be pretty crappy to expect him to pay for everything. Even on our first "date," we each paid part of it (though he got through on a loophole that he was technically traveling for business when I met up with him, so I let him pay for more since he got to expense it anyway).

is he your 'main squeeze'?

Math Is Hard said:
I agree completely. If a guy wants to pay for everything, every time, it seems like he wants to "buy me" like a prostitute, or he's treating me as an inferior, like a father treats a daughter. Neither inspires me romantically.

The women that 'like' being bought drinks and 'everything' probably don't come to a 'physics' forum---a lot of girls like to be 'taken care of' and see that as part of it.

JasonRox said:

then you may see yourself as having other talents or attributes to 'attract' girls

I think most people go through a 'trial and error' period of meeting the opposite sex, I had my fair share of 'metasex' when I was in that thinking.

Looking back is a whole lot easier than looking at yourself---

theoritician will probably do that and say to himself, "that wasn't so bad,--I don't know why I had so much trouble with it."

Last edited:
theoritician said:

Take Zoobs advice and learn how to describe people. Also, no girl should make you shut your eyes and dream. Thats a bit much...*please* don't say anything like that around her, or any other woman. Just go out and practice talking to people. Anyone, everyone. Go to McDonalds and talk to every person standing in line. Talk to people in line at the movie theater. Talk to people in your class. Talk talk talk. Don't try to get dates from people, just learn how to hold a conversation. I am willing to bet you're not comfortable doing that, so asking her out is trying to go from 0-60 with no wheels. You need to get used to being around people that don't do physics all day long.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Also, no girl should make you shut your eyes and dream.

(different strokes for different folks, I guess)

I do

Thats not normal behavior. I don't know a single guy that does that. Its either "Shes looks good", or "I'll pass".

You don't want dreams to be the only thing you have between you and her.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Thats not normal behavior. I don't know a single guy that does that. Its either "Shes looks good", or "I'll pass".

You don't want dreams to be the only thing you have between you and her.

one of my 'talents' is x-ray vision when I close my eyes--on that first look

--------------------
I don't know a single guy that doesn't

Last edited:
I don't follow you. I don't close my eyes when I look at a girl, ever. I look at her face, or her chest/ass, and then back up at her face.

What you just described is - creepy.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
I don't follow you. I don't close my eyes when I look at a girl, ever. I look at her face, or her chest/ass, and then back up at her face.

What you just described is - creepy.

no--human nature---women are even better at it than men----I've seen some women glance up for 1/10th of a second to 'check out' "body shape" as one of their first prerequisites for being interested in a guy or not from far away---from before any of what you mentioned is visible (on the guy)----you may be near-sighted---that's maybe why you have to be so close

cyrusabdollahi said:
Also, no girl should make you shut your eyes and dream. Thats a bit much...*please* don't say anything like that around her, or any other woman.
That just means you haven't met one who truly knocks your socks off yet. It does happen. But, the rest of it is right...don't say something like that to anyone. And, you don't *have* to feel that way to ask someone out and be attracted. For many people, the rest of that comes after you've gotten to know them better so that there's much more to the attraction than just a pretty face.

Just go out and practice talking to people. Anyone, everyone. Go to McDonalds and talk to every person standing in line. Talk to people in line at the movie theater. Talk to people in your class. Talk talk talk. Don't try to get dates from people, just learn how to hold a conversation. I am willing to bet you're not comfortable doing that, so asking her out is trying to go from 0-60 with no wheels. You need to get used to being around people that don't do physics all day long.

This is really good advice. Just talk to random strangers and get practice getting comfortable with it. At first, it'll be awkward, and they may look at you strangely and walk away, but if it's just a stranger you'll never see again anyway, there's no harm in that happening. And each time you talk to someone else, you'll have the previous experiences to learn from and gain understanding of what types of things you can say that will engage conversation, and what will annoy people. That way, when you finally talk to someone with whom the outcome matters to you, you'll know what things to say that won't scare them off. And, in the meantime, you might accidentally make some new friends. Also, as important as studying is, get your nose out of the physics books once in a while and spend time learning about more things around you so you can talk to people on a variety of topics. Flip through the news and see what's going on in politics, local events, the latest entertainment scandals/gossip, which sports team is playing or what the scores were of the most recent game. Go see some movies so you can talk about those.

Thats what I said, checking someone out. You said you *close* your eyes. THAT is creepy.