Why does my social life suck so much?

• Thread starter proton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary: I'm not sure what you mean by striking up a conversation. Do you mean talking to classmates during class? If so, then that's a good way to make friends.In summary, a junior at their new school is having a hard time making friends and is struggling with confidence. They are also worried about their lack of social life and fear that they will have a hard time getting a good job if they do not improve their skills.
pblackblackblackblackffft. If you want attention you should get this one because you will look suuuuuuuperrrrrrrrrrr...

http://www2.hugestore.com/swatches/pink_sport_coat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dude, are you kidding me? Fuzzy white **** sticking out the cuffs?

I honestly think you're a little confused. All of the fashions you've posted are decent (with the exception of the dork in the ugly flannel shirt), but they're all decidedly boyish. I mean... totally, undeniably boyish.

That's the reason Moonbear is so critical of your choices. Men don't dress up in fancy shirts and then put on some silly looking retro bomber jacket!

- Warren

I was trying to be funny, but you saw the old version of my post. :smile:

Cyrus said:
I was trying to be funny, but you saw the old version of my post. :smile:

LOL okay, good! :smile: But some of your fashion picks really do look pretty boyish. You got to admit it.

- Warren

Show me which ones and Ill see if I agree with you. I say this because I've seen older guys pull it off and it looks good and makes them look older but at the same time 'cool'. Late twenties, early 30s at clubs/bars.

I will say this. The coolest cat I saw was an old asian dude one time. He had black frame glasses, a suit top, jeans, a go-tee, and spiked hair. The thing is the guy was a lot older than everyone else (had some gray hair), but he looked damn cool.

Last edited:
Ah man I don't know if I have the patience to go back and dig through 17 pages of BS to find the pictures, lol.

It was mostly the first couple of pics you put up. The later ones with George Clooney et al. were looking a little more mature, heh. And trust me, no one over the age of 19 should be walking around with any kind of bed-head hair, particularly if it's planned. That's not a "personal style," it's a mistake. I find it kinda weird that you've advocate the dork in the flannel shirt in the same thread as George Clooney in a $2k suit.

- Warren

Last edited:
Variety is the spice of life.

P.S. Clooney is the MAN.

Last edited:
I can't believe that grown men -- or almost-grown men -- actually admit to wearing clothing (and saying the word, even) called a "hoodie". Honest to Pete. It sounds like something you'd dress a two-year-old in, not an adult. And certainly not an adult male. I realize that's what the article of clothing in question is called, but, seriously, y'all. Hoodie. Please.

The only hoodie I own is black, with a large California Vehicle Code sign on the back, the one with a bicycle icon and the words "ALLOWED USE OF FULL LANE." It's from the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. I love it. It ends up starting at least one conversation every time I wear it.

- Warren

chroot said:
LOL okay, good! :smile: But some of your fashion picks really do look pretty boyish. You got to admit it.
I agree. I think the only older men wearing them would be the ones trying to hit on younger women. I could certainly see the 21 y.o. set wearing things like that and getting away with it, but if you want to be taken seriously in the workplace, or want to look more mature, there are more conservative looks that are still very nice.

GeorginaS said:
I can't believe that grown men -- or almost-grown men -- actually admit to wearing clothing (and saying the word, even) called a "hoodie". Honest to Pete. It sounds like something you'd dress a two-year-old in, not an adult. And certainly not an adult male. I realize that's what the article of clothing in question is called, but, seriously, y'all. Hoodie. Please.
:smile: Yep, seems like hoodies should be sold next to the onesies, huh? I think of it as a style for teenagers...high school kids and younger.

chroot said:
The only hoodie I own is black, with a large California Vehicle Code sign on the back, the one with a bicycle icon and the words "ALLOWED USE OF FULL LANE." It's from the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. I love it. It ends up starting at least one conversation every time I wear it.

I can only imagine the conversation...guess it depends on whether you encounter another bicyclist or the Hummer-driving road hog. :biggrin:

I have one hoodie, I wear it when I need to shovel the snow, and last week, wore it out at the farm when the furnace wasn't working because I desperately needed to stay warm and was going to be too filthy to care what I was wearing (scrubs don't keep you warm).

I don't understand this resistance to dressing nicely. It's so different from when I was in college. We used to actually worry about how we were seen by others. I was sort of the "unfashionable" one who only put on nice clothes and didn't fuss for an hour with hair and make-up before going to the 8 AM class. We noticed the people who looked like they just rolled out of bed, because we were laughing at them for looking like they just rolled out of bed! Nobody was dressing up in cutting edge fashion and $2000 suits, we were poor college students, but we did make an effort to dress neatly every day.

People do read things into what you choose to wear, because it is an outward expression of your personality. Look like you just rolled out of bed, it says, "I don't care about myself, hygiene, or any of you who have to be around me when I'm wearing what I slept in," and if you take time to look very well groomed, it says, "I care about putting my best foot forward, I'm sharp and on top of things, I'm motivated to succeed," and if you wear things like super-trendy, bright, flamboyant outfits, it says, "I want attention, look at me, talk to me!"

Okay, so its 9:05 right now. I woke up at 8:58, washed my face, shaved, brushed my teeth, put on deodorant, after shave, lotion on my face, and dressed myself. It took a whooping 7 mins.

I was awaken by a phone call from school asking me to come into fill out some forms to get paid to attend school. Isnt that a nice way to start your day.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
Okay, so its 9:05 right now. I woke up at 8:58, washed my face, shaved, brushed my teeth, put on deodorant, after shave, lotion on my face, and dressed myself. It took a whooping 7 mins.
I stare into my bathroom mirror for at least 7 minutes before I can cope with even being up.

I don't wear jeans, I find them uncomfortable and they look awkward. I have very long, thin legs, short waisted, narrow hips. If the length is right, the waistband comes above the bottom of my rib cage, the crotch is hanging near my knees. And there is too much loose in the caboose. They tend to look like clown pants. Slim fit doesn't help since the waist won't fit and then there is that REALLY uncomfortable camel thing. I'm still looking for a pair of women's jeans that fit. Actually, that's a lie, I stopped looking.

Evo said:
I stare into my bathroom mirror for at least 7 minutes before I can cope with even being up.

I don't wear jeans, I find them uncomfortable and they look awkward. I have very long, thin legs, short waisted, narrow hips. If the length is right, the waistband comes above the bottom of my rib cage, the crotch is hanging near my knees. And there is too much loose in the caboose. They tend to look like clown pants. Slim fit doesn't help since the waist won't fit and then there is that REALLY uncomfortable camel thing. I'm still looking for a pair of women's jeans that fit. Actually, that's a lie, I stopped looking.

Jeans that fit? Urban legend! You can of course get the low rise ones that won't come up to your rib cage, but then those go to the other extreme and leave your behind exposed.

I know it doesn't take that long to get dressed, because I roll out of bed about a half hour before I need to leave the house, take a quick shower, brush my hair, teeth, cat (yeah, the cat has become part of the bathroom routine :rolleyes:), trip over the cat at least twice, get dressed, walk downstairs (sometimes starting a load of laundry on the way), pick up the cat food bowl, walk to the kitchen, start the coffee, fill the cat food bowl and water bowl, turn on the computer, get my cup of coffee, and I usually still have 15 or 20 min to post on PF while imbibing my coffee and waiting for the caffeine to kick in...it would probably take less time to do everything in the morning if I could move the coffee pot to the nightstand and have coffee before I had to attempt anything else.

Wow, I'm impressed you do so much before coffee! My most unpleasant chore in the morning is ironing - hate it. And I don't know why I bother, I'm under a big lab coat most of my workday.

As for jeans, I'm with you, Evo. Who in the world are they making all those jeans for? Not for me or any of the women I know!

The only jeans that I can find that are comfortable are the loose-fit ones. Not regular fit, definitely not tight fit. My junk is just squished in those. And I'm not even trying to brag or anything, I just think they are made way too tight.

Why don't you just go to a tailor and have the jeans fitted? It can't cost that much compared to the price of some of those jeans to get at least one pair done.

-------

ps--this thread should have been split a long time ago

Last edited:
You have two options.

a) A cheesy chat up line. "Hey Baby, you're legs must be tired cos' you've been runnin' round my mind all day"

b) Go to the physics jokes thread.

These will guarantee long term success with woman.

Oh, and the best fashion tip of all.

Smile!

JasonRox said:
Oh, and the best fashion tip of all.

Smile!

you bet---but not too much--too much is as bad as not at all

rewebster said:
you bet---but not too much--too much is as bad as not at all

Quite honestly, no one smiles these days. I'm not afraid that someone would take this advice and smile too touch. People are most likely to not smile enough.

No, the best fashion tip IMO: whatever you wear, it had better be CLEAN. Clothes, even if they're well-tailored and flattering, smell bad after even one wear. You may not be able to pick up on it but others can.

lisab said:
No, the best fashion tip IMO: whatever you wear, it had better be CLEAN. Clothes, even if they're well-tailored and flattering, smell bad after even one wear. You may not be able to pick up on it but others can.
I thought you said after one year. I was thinking you were pretty laid back. :-p

lisab said:

Hmm.. I do wear some of my dress shirts more than once before washing them. Washing is just so incredibly hard on clothing. If people can really tell I've worn it once already (I personally cannot), well... that's scary. :rolleyes:

- Warren

chroot said:
Hmm.. I do wear some of my dress shirts more than once before washing them. Washing is just so incredibly hard on clothing. If people can really tell I've worn it once already (I personally cannot), well... that's scary. :rolleyes:

- Warren
If you're clean, and don't sweat a lot, don't smoke, and use deodorant, you can probably get away with wearing it twice.

Think of a jacket, you don't clean it every day. At least I don't. :rolleyes:

chroot said:

- Warren

I'll wear pants 2-4 times before washing them and shirt at most 2 times.

Washing all the time will fade all your clothes in no time.

Yeah, and I usually wear undershirts for normal dress shirts at work, but I usually do not when I'm wearing something fancy to go out in. There's also the fact that bars and clubs here are smoke-free, and I'm usually only wearing the shirt for a few hours a night. It seems a little silly to subject them to washing after only a few hours of wear.

On the other hand, I have a relatively weak sense of smell, and I probably would not be able to detect my own odor. Everyone who's ever commented on my hygeine has said that I'm more meticulous about showering and keeping my mouth clean than most people, but I've never considered that my shirts might smell without my even knowing it... Thanks lisab, you've just given me a complex!

- Warren

Cyrus said:
I was awaken by a phone call from school asking me to come into fill out some forms to get paid to attend school. Isnt that a nice way to start your day.

You joined the military? :eek:

It seems sad that people here honestly believe that wearing the right clothes corresponds to social success. How superficial is that? Perhaps it's true what they say about Americans: "Scratch the surface and what do you find? More surface."

Fair enough, invest in some new clothes to make yourself feel better, to fit in, to enjoy the experience of simply going shopping; but don't for a minute think this will make you an instant hit amongst your peers. The most important thing is to make an effort ---approach people, follow them up on their offer to go to lunch, or if the offer isn't there, initiate it yourself! Get their numbers, call them, meet up outside of school.

Whatever you do don't get caught in the vicious circle whereby you consider yourself "not good enough" for friends because you haven't got any; perhaps you think you have nothing to say to people, or that what you do say isn't cool enough. Don't think like that, often the hardest part is learning to trust people and you must also accept that they have to learn to trust you, only then can a friendship blossom -- this can take time at first and for some people it takes more time than others (if you think you are not good enough, and don't allow yourself to interact with people, this time could be forever), in England we call this "breaking the ice". It's worth hacking away at the ice, oftentimes you will find a shallow pond, or just more ice the more you hack, but just occasionally you will find a majestic ocean, even if you only find one such ocean it makes the search worthwhile. So hack away.

billiards said:
It seems sad that people here honestly believe that wearing the right clothes corresponds to social success. How superficial is that? Perhaps it's true what they say about Americans: "Scratch the surface and what do you find? More surface."
I know women so shallow that they won't talk to men if they don't like the men's shoes.

I was also reading an article about why people don't get hired and one HR person at a large company said that she won't hire anyone that doesn't wear designer shoes. :bugeye:

Such is life.

It's worth hacking away at the ice, oftentimes you will find a shallow pond, or just more ice the more you hack, but just occasionally you will find a majestic ocean, even if you only find one such ocean it makes the search worthwhile. So hack away.

:smile: You read too many new age self help books.

Gimme a break. This is true in any culture in any country on the planet. People who are social go out and talk with people that are into things, like culture. Fashion is a part of that local culture and is unique to the group in terms of style. Fashion has been around for hundres of years, to deny its importance is ignorant.

Who wants to be around someone dressed like a bum?

Last edited:
Hmm...I will wear pants twice if I've managed to keep them clean, but shirts I always wash after one wear, even with deodorant, I just don't feel like the armpits are clean enough after wearing the shirt all day to wear it again. Maybe if for some reason I tossed it on for just an hour or two and then took it back off, I'd wear it again. Though, for guys who wear undershirts under a dress shirt, yeah, I can see wearing the dress shirt twice, but don't dress shirts usually need to be dry cleaned anyway?

Evo said:
I know women so shallow that they won't talk to men if they don't like the men's shoes.

Such is life.

I walked up to a woman like 'that', said something, she gave me the once over turned around and started talking catty about some other woman. It makes you think for a minute or two, then passes. She may not have been there to meet anyone, and my impression was just-- what a snoootttie immature girl (not a woman).

It's hard sometimes at someplaces to find people to talk to that are open enough to say hello then a conversation---that may be where 'did you get lucky?' came from---were to lucky enough to find someone wanted to converse and more. That's why 'new' places to go can be fun.

---It seems the younger you are, the field is larger due to not having a niche yet.

Moonbear said:
don't dress shirts usually need to be dry cleaned anyway?

Nah, most don't. I usually wash mine on delicate and then air-dry them. And then iron them. And then starch them. And then hang them. And then realize how much time I could save if I just wore a hoodie instead.

- Warren

Moonbear said:
Though, for guys who wear undershirts under a dress shirt, yeah, I can see wearing the dress shirt twice, but don't dress shirts usually need to be dry cleaned anyway?
I wear undershirts under the dress shirts, and use a new shirt each day. Dress shirts are cotton, well the one's I have, and they are washed in normal laundry, tumble dry and place on a hanger.

Suits are usually dry cleaned, but I prefer pants that can be washed in a washing machine, e.g. Dockers. I don't pay a lot for my clothes, and I really don't want to.

http://www.dockersstore.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2271557&clickid=topnav_men_dropdown

Last edited by a moderator:
chroot said:
Nah, most don't. I usually wash mine on delicate and then air-dry them. And then iron them. And then starch them. And then hang them. And then realize how much time I could save if I just wore a hoodie instead.

- Warren

:smile: Or how much time you could save taking them to a dry cleaner. :biggrin: Maybe that's why all the guys I know get their dress shirts dry cleaned...they don't want to be bothered with ironing AND starching.