Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,066
AlephZero said:
But not in Europe with 50Hz mains electricity. The CD system was invented by Philips, IIRC.

And for some obscure reason, the NTSC standard is actually 29.97 frames /sec (times 2 with interlaced frames), not "60 Hz".

But in Europe, we think NTSC means "Never Twice the Same Color".

I don't know much about Europe.
I was only there once, when I was 11. My mom dragged me there.
She was from there.

All of her siblings made fun of me. They would stand around, and say; "ELF? ELF! ELF? ELF!".

I never went back.

-----------------------
I think I may have been a bit short for my age

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,067
OmCheeto said:
I don't know much about Europe.

I know that I'd love to live on the border of Germany and Spain, but France is kind of in the way. Not that I have a problem with France. But if they could just sort of swap it with one of the other two. That'd be great.

Maybe I should just move to the middle of France.

-Dave K

• #2,068
dkotschessaa said:
I know that I'd love to live on the border of Germany and Spain, but France is kind of in the way. Not that I have a problem with France. But if they could just sort of swap it with one of the other two. That'd be great.

Maybe I should just move to the middle of France.

-Dave K

I thought you lived in Florida?
I spent a year in Florida. I loved it. (Jacksonville and Orlando, 6 months each)
But I was young then...

ps. Andre has a relative with a bed-n-breakfast in France. as I recall.
Just go visit, and then decide.

People are always telling me how wonderful Alaska is.
I lived there. It's a nice place to visit, but it really sucked living there.
Om's friend; "Look at how pretty it is!"
Om; "Yah, right... Until the mosquitoes, horse-flys, and no-see-ums, suck the blood out of you..."

• #2,069
OmCheeto said:

Château de Montcru

• #2,070
Borek said:
Château de Montcru

http://www.au-chateau.com/Montcru.htm
au Château Banner
Château de Montcru has closed and is no longer on our site.

:cry:

[many expletives deleted...]

:cry: :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,071
OmCheeto said:
:cry:

[many expletives deleted...]

:cry: :cry:

I am not sure it means the site closed - can be just the web site. They are still listed in many tourist directories. Not that it means anything.

• #2,072
OmCheeto said:
I thought you lived in Florida?

I do!

I spent a year in Florida. I loved it. (Jacksonville and Orlando, 6 months each)
But I was young then...

I'm in Tampa, which is kind of a rip-off. When you come from the north, the word "Florida" brings to mind sandy beaches and sunny days and bikinis and palm trees and paradise all year round.

Then one moves to Tampa. Tampa is a giant swamp, filled in with sand, with some houses and roads built on top. It's native residents are roaches given the polite name of "Palmetto Bugs," and the humidity is measured in units known as "armpits." Or "gym socks." I forget which. It is completely flat. This is great, because it allows the sun to be completely unimpeded from boiling the land's residents alive from 7 am until 10 pm, where it cools down to a slow simmer. The smart thing the early residents did also, was to cut down as many trees as possible, so that when you go for a walk you are in the sun all the time. This makes it so you don't have to go biking or running or any of that exercise and outdoors nonsense, and you can stay inside in the air conditioning.

Just go visit, and then decide.

People are always telling me how wonderful Alaska is.
I lived there. It's a nice place to visit, but it really sucked living there.

Sometimes I think I'm somehow not ready for France. Like it's something I'll appreciate when I'm older. That makes no sense, does it? However, for some reason, I like every movie from France I've ever seen.

-Dave K

• #2,073
dkotschessaa said:
I do!

I'm in Tampa, which is kind of a rip-off. When you come from the north,
You're from the north, and moved to Florida?

BIG mistake...
the word "Florida" brings to mind sandy beaches and sunny days and bikinis and palm trees and paradise all year round.

Then one moves to Tampa. Tampa is a giant swamp, filled in with sand, with some houses and roads built on top. It's native residents are roaches given the polite name of "Palmetto Bugs," and the humidity is measured in units known as "armpits." Or "gym socks." I forget which.
Now you've done it. You've taken me back to my teen years in F.L.A.

My roomie walked into the barracks one day, seeing me completely naked, in some contorted, "I'm going to die from this heat, if I don't figure out how to position myself in the ideal thermo-convective/conductive position".

I don't remember his exact words, but I'm sure one of them started with an "F".

It is completely flat. This is great, because it allows the sun to be completely unimpeded from boiling the land's residents alive from 7 am until 10 pm, where it cools down to a slow simmer. The smart thing the early residents did also, was to cut down as many trees as possible, so that when you go for a walk you are in the sun all the time. This makes it so you don't have to go biking or running or any of that exercise and outdoors nonsense, and you can stay inside in the air conditioning.

Sometimes I think I'm somehow not ready for France. Like it's something I'll appreciate when I'm older. That makes no sense, does it? However, for some reason, I like every movie from France I've ever seen.

-Dave K

Hmm... I have a friend in Tampa who is a retired Air Force Colonel. She's old, like me. She seems to have acclimated to the climate. Though, she comes back North every few years.

• #2,075
OmCheeto said:
You're from the north, and moved to Florida?

BIG mistake...

But I did it for love!

Now you've done it. You've taken me back to my teen years in F.L.A.

My roomie walked into the barracks one day, seeing me completely naked, in some contorted, "I'm going to die from this heat, if I don't figure out how to position myself in the ideal thermo-convective/conductive position".

I don't remember his exact words, but I'm sure one of them started with an "F".

Hmm... I have a friend in Tampa who is a retired Air Force Colonel. She's old, like me. She seems to have acclimated to the climate. Though, she comes back North every few years.

Seems that the more...vintage population has a better time with it.

-Dave K

• #2,076
Astronuc said:

I am totally on board with this kind of thinking. We could do Little Palm Island.

I was enamored with Key West Florida for about 3 seconds, before I realized it's one street full of bars(I don't drink), which is then surrounded by "watch your back" neighborhoods.

But the drive there and back, I saw lots of great places and wanted to go back.

-Dave K

• #2,077
dkotschessaa said:
I am totally on board with this kind of thinking. We could do Little Palm Island.

I was enamored with Key West Florida for about 3 seconds, before I realized it's one street full of bars(I don't drink), which is then surrounded by "watch your back" neighborhoods.

But the drive there and back, I saw lots of great places and wanted to go back.

-Dave K
My wife and I were there last year and we didn't feel that way at all. We stayed at a great B&B about 6 blocks from Duval St. and walked to Duval and back through multiple back streets including past the main cemetary. The biggest threats were one strong lightning storm and the ever-present roosters. We visited lots of little hole-in-the-wall places like museums and a Cuban restaurant. It was fun just to walk through some of the zig-zag streets. The houses were pretty unique. BTW, we didn't go to the bars either but we had a great time.

• #2,078
Borg said:
My wife and I were there last year and we didn't feel that way at all. We stayed at a great B&B about 6 blocks from Duval St. and walked to Duval and back through multiple back streets including past the main cemetary. The biggest threats were one strong lightning storm and the ever-present roosters. We visited lots of little hole-in-the-wall places like museums and a Cuban restaurant. It was fun just to walk through some of the zig-zag streets. The houses were pretty unique. BTW, we didn't go to the bars either but we had a great time.

I'm exaggerating slightly. We went there twice. Once for a 6 hour excursion from a cruise and the second time from a weekend. The first time we thought we wanted to move there. Walked Duval, of course, and visited some cool spots there. The second time, we did the Hemingway house, some cool places on and off Duval, the ripley museum, etc. But by the end of the second day of the weekend trip we were starting to feel like that was pretty much it. After all the cliche "southernmost point" things and 40 bars and entirely too much jimmy Buffett.

The high point was the chickens walking around though. (Turkeys you say? hmm). We actually saw one cross the street. I'd never seen that. We asked it why it was doing that. It didn't answer. So we asked a local. "Got someplace to go!" he said. Well, at least we got that timeless question answered.

-DaveK

• #2,079
dkotschessaa said:
Then one moves to Tampa. Tampa is a giant swamp, filled in with sand, with some houses and roads built on top. It's native residents are roaches given the polite name of "Palmetto Bugs," and the humidity is measured in units known as "armpits." Or "gym socks." I forget which. It is completely flat. This is great, because it allows the sun to be completely unimpeded from boiling the land's residents alive from 7 am until 10 pm, where it cools down to a slow simmer. The smart thing the early residents did also, was to cut down as many trees as possible, so that when you go for a walk you are in the sun all the time. This makes it so you don't have to go biking or running or any of that exercise and outdoors nonsense, and you can stay inside in the air conditioning.
-Dave K

:smile:

• #2,080
Borek said:
I am not sure it means the site closed - can be just the web site. They are still listed in many tourist directories. Not that it means anything.
Where is that Andre anyway? I miss him and his photos.

• #2,081
dlgoff said:

He visits now and then, but other than that is apparently busy with other things. Like grandkids for example :smile:

• #2,082
dkotschessaa said:
I'm exaggerating slightly. We went there twice. Once for a 6 hour excursion from a cruise and the second time from a weekend. The first time we thought we wanted to move there. Walked Duval, of course, and visited some cool spots there. The second time, we did the Hemingway house, some cool places on and off Duval, the ripley museum, etc. But by the end of the second day of the weekend trip we were starting to feel like that was pretty much it. After all the cliche "southernmost point" things and 40 bars and entirely too much jimmy Buffett.

The high point was the chickens walking around though. (Turkeys you say? hmm). We actually saw one cross the street. I'd never seen that. We asked it why it was doing that. It didn't answer. So we asked a local. "Got someplace to go!" he said. Well, at least we got that timeless question answered.

-DaveK
We spent three days there. It wasn't someplace that we wanted to move to but it was nice to see. We met a couple at the B&B who happened to live just a few miles from us in DC - small world sometimes. They were there for their 17th visit to the same B&B. I don't think that I would go that many times - too many other places to see. Now about the first picture in Astronuc's link...

• #2,083
dlgoff said:

Top notch photos, I hope he gets back too.

• #2,084
So I got to visit Chicago this weekend. Such a lovely city, I definitely am putting University of Chicago on my "totally not obtainable but get my heart dead set on it" list for graduate schools.

• #2,085
HayleySarg said:
So I got to visit Chicago this weekend. Such a lovely city

· Aug 12: Moved to our new home in Chicago. It is so beautiful here. The landscape is so majestic. Can hardly wait to see it with snow. I love it here,
· Oct 14: Chicago is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turned all the colors and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful country and saw some deer. They are so graceful, certainly they are the most wonderful animal on earth. This must be paradise. I love it here.
· Nov 11: Deer season will start soon. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will snow soon. I love it here.
· Dec 2: It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looked like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snowball fight (I won), and when the snow plow came by, we had to shovel again. What a beautiful place. I love Chicago.
· Dec 12: More snow last night. I love it. The snow plow did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here!
· Dec 19: More snow last night. Couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling. Damn snow plow.
· Dec 22: More of that white **** fell last night. I've got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snow plow hides around the curve and waits until I'm done shoveling the driveway. *******!
· Dec 25: Merry @*!@#@! Christmas! More friggin snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-***** who drives that snow plow, I swear I'll kill the bastard. Don't know why they don't use more salt on the roads to melt the ice.
· Dec 27: More white **** last night. Been inside for 3 days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snow plow goes through every time. Can't go anywhere, car's stuck in a mountain of white ****. The weatherman says to expect another 10" of the stuff again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10" is?
· Dec 28: The friggin weatherman was wrong. We got 43" of that white **** this time. At this rate it won't melt before next summer. The snow plow got stuck up the road and that bastard came to the door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the **** he pushed into the driveway, I broke the last one over his head.
· Jan 4: Finally out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a damned deer ran in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $3,000 damage to the car. Those friggin beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed ALL of them last November.
· May 3: Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from that lousy salt they put all over the road.
· May 10: Moved to Texas. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would want to live in that God-forsaken state of Illinois.

• #2,086
Oh the snow isn't an issue. I'm from Detroit, so I'm used to "4' of snow? The city still runs"

I remember being weirded out that in MD, no one has the undercarriage of their car coated to protect it from the salt on the roads.

They do silly things here when it snows. Like put salt on the roads at 2pm after it snows. =/

• #2,087
lol, Borek.

• #2,088
First make up test (Combinatorics) since losing a couple of weeks of school with my Dad's passing. It wasn't as disastrous as I thought, though It'll probably be my "drop" test. My professors are so understanding.

• #2,089
Lawrence Krauss is coming to my school!
http://humanities-institute.usf.edu/
My nerd dilemma is that I have to leave combinatorics early, and we'll be doing graph theory, which I am also excited about.

• #2,090
Good lord, this thread is like 4 years old and going strong.

• #2,091
10th.

• #2,092
Borek said:
10th.

You're retiring soon too?

:biggrin:

• #2,093
seven sevens.

• #2,094
My director suddenly decided that today would be my last day in the company

Last edited:
  • #2,095
Hello.

• #2,096
Sigh, actually 11th.

• #2,097
inotyce said:

I don't know where you were working or what you were doing, but it sounds like it's time for something better?

• #2,098
Got my mojo back enough to start doing schoolwork again
Caught a Cold

arghen blarghen

• #2,099
inotyce said:
On to better things inotyce! Their loss.

• #2,100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlATOHGj9EY