Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,031
Mandelbroth said:
3092.png

Maybe he didn't draw it before because "Die Zauberflöte" was by Mozart, not Bach.

(And anyway, he should have been asking the Queen of the Night for teleportation, not Mozart).

(And when I typed that, my browser spell checker thinks "Mozart" is a valid word, but "Bach" isn't.)

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,032
What would you trade your heroes for?

• #2,033
lisab said:

Ghosts?

• #2,034
lisab said:

Death.

• #2,035
Dad didn't make it. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cjd/detail_cjd.htm. Trying to figure out how to pick up my semester from here. Profs can put off tests for me but that doesn't really give me time to go through my process. ugh. Thank goodness for my wife.

• #2,036
dkotschessaa said:
Dad didn't make it. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cjd/detail_cjd.htm. Trying to figure out how to pick up my semester from here. Profs can put off tests for me but that doesn't really give me time to go through my process. ugh. Thank goodness for my wife.

:frown: I'm so sorry to hear it! How are you doing?

• #2,037
Oh no - I'm so sorry to hear that. I'll be thinking of you.

My colleagues picked up my slack for a while after my Dad died (and I've done the same) - people are pretty decent for the most part.

• #2,038
dkotschessaa said:

So sorry, DK. Give your thanks to your wife - I'm sure she is suffering, too. My best wishes, and good luck getting through your studies.

• #2,039
lisab said:
:frown: I'm so sorry to hear it! How are you doing?

I'd be ok if I had time to go through everything. I went through this with my mother. I just sort of became lazy for awhile, worked half-assed and watched spongebob for awhile, went to counseling, let the process happen. But right now it's very overwhelming to have studies hanging over me. There is no bereavement leave. I mean I could cancel the whole semester (they allow for that) but that's so drastic.

Sorry to use the random thoughts thread for this. May not be appropriate, but I like chatting with you folks.

• #2,040
Ibix said:
Oh no - I'm so sorry to hear that. I'll be thinking of you.

My colleagues picked up my slack for a while after my Dad died (and I've done the same) - people are pretty decent for the most part.

My math club officers are taking care of the meeting tomorrow, thank goodness.

• #2,041
Sorry to hear that, dkotschessaa :(

• #2,042
Sorry to hear that, DK. OTOH - if I read what have happened correctly that was pretty fast. Its a lucky way.

• #2,043
Borek said:
Sorry to hear that, DK. OTOH - if I read what have happened correctly that was pretty fast. Its a lucky way.

Yeah, for somebody scientifically minded I found the randomness of it, along with the quickness, kind of re-assuring. There were no questions like "What could we have done differently?" Also, he had a living will, which made things very easy.

• #2,044
So sorry for your loss.

• #2,045
Best wishes dkotschessaa. That's a tough one. :frown:

• #2,046
That's awful, dkotschessaa. I'm sorry for your loss. :frown:

• #2,047
Enigman said:
No idea. The last thing I remember before waking up and noticing the injury was Rowling flying on a broom and crying 'the ... did it'. A contention which I very much doubt...
Next time I disregard authors speaking to me in dreams shoot me...
Back to Ellery Queen now.

• #2,049
Depression

• #2,050
dkotschessaa said:
I can relate to your loss. Keep your chin up.

• #2,051
I kind of feel bad sending the thread in that direction now.

Lots of other things in life are good. Wife is still pregnant, happy (circumstances notwithstanding) healthy and hungry. I just saw Gravity and might go seen Enders game (finished the book this morning). Life is beautiful. Just often difficult.

• #2,052
dkotschessaa said:
I kind of feel bad sending the thread in that direction now.

Lots of other things in life are good. Wife is still pregnant, happy (circumstances notwithstanding) healthy and hungry. I just saw Gravity and might go seen Enders game (finished the book this morning). Life is beautiful. Just often difficult.

:smile: Yep, you can't have good without bad, light without dark, up without down...isn't that just like life?

• #2,053
lisab said:
:smile: Yep, you can't have good without bad, light without dark, up without down...isn't that just like life?

You should write a song. :wink:

:cry:

Last edited:
  • #2,054
2*3*5*7

Primes, are funny.

But the people who label them, are funnier still, IMHO.

Good night. :zzz:

• #2,055
OmCheeto said:
2*3*5*7

In two weeks it will be 142 (and less than week ago it was 63).

• #2,056
Borek said:
In two weeks it will be 142 (and less than week ago it was 63).

I don't think I've had this much fun with numbers since I was a child. I think I was about 10 years old when I was introduced to the concept of the different base systems. I was so fascinated by the fact you could count in other than base 10, that I wrote out the multiplication tables for all the bases from 2 through 16. Of course, that was long before computers, so I'm sure I did it all on paper. But when computers did finally arrive 8 years later, I probably said to myself; "I recognize that number system. That's base 16!"

Today I was not able to do the calculation in my head. Though I think only savants and numerophiles would know the factors of 209.

ps. I think google is broken. When I googled "what are people that love numbers called?" it came up with:

Obamacare's Website Is Crashing Because It Doesn't Want You To ... :confused:
Proper Course: Anal-Retentive People Like Numbers :mad:
Whoops! President Infomercial: You guys, just use the phone - Twitchy :confused:
No More Apologies: Why Obama Has to Get Mad About His Broken :confused:
Polyamory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :redface:
Summer of Love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :smile:

• #2,057
I think I mentioned the other day, that they are shutting down one of our satellite campuses, and they've been transporting their library books to our main campus "old" library.

Yesterday, I checked out the latest batch of books, and saw the following titles:

Journal of Insanity 1910
Journal of Hygiene 1908​

I laughed.

• #2,058
A friend has a book that he got when his university library was having a clear out. It was published in the 1920s and explains that atoms are made of a protons in the centre with electrons orbiting. Some workers claim that there might also be a neutral particle in the nucleus, but this is obvious rubbish. :D

• #2,059
  • #2,060
OmCheeto said:
"I recognize that number system. That's base 16!"
What you think you said: "That's base 16 (excitement)."
What you really said: "That's base 20922789888000."

Isn't math wonderful? :smile:

• #2,061
Evo said:
These books instantly made me think of Om.
http://www.workman.com/products/9780761156871/
http://www.workman.com/products/9780761150206/
For micromass
http://www.workman.com/products/9780761163749/
Found a book for Gad
http://www.workman.com/products/9781580175746/
I'm going through their catalog, I loved these kinds of books as a child.

They had these books when we were children?
Why did I never see these books?

:cry:

You know me too well, Evo.

That video not only recounts what you know of my life, but also, what you don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EYgZKKPlM

I had a professor the other day, trying to get eggs shipped from Texas, without breaking.

She had tried both FedEx and UPS. Eggs broken!

So she used USPS, and her eggs, once again, arrived broken.

I theorized that the eggs were being flown in an airplane, in an unpressurized compartment, and were exploding.

I suppose now, I should run to the store, buy some eggs, put them in some type of chamber, figure out what the atmospheric pressure is at 30,000 feet, draw that vacuum, and see what happens.

--------------------------
Numerous researchers at my institution use embryonic fertilized eggs for scientific research.

• #2,062
OmCheeto said:
2*3*5*7

I've often wondered why the people who invented CD audio picked the sample rate 44100 = 22*32*52*72

• #2,064
AlephZero said:
I've often wondered why the people who invented CD audio picked the sample rate 44100 = 22*32*52*72

I've never wondered such a thing. But now that you mention it, I'm wondering too.

:confused:

googling yielded some logical information:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/audio/44.1.html

In 60 Hz video, there are 35 blanked lines, leaving 490 lines per frame or 245 lines per field, so the sampling rate is given by :

60 X 245 X 3 = 44.1 KHz

Even though CD has no video circuitry, the equipment used to make CD masters is video based and determines the sampling rate.

Though it has been so long since I've looked at video numbers of old, this may be all make believe gibberish.

• #2,065
OmCheeto said:
In 60 Hz video ...

But not in Europe with 50Hz mains electricity. The CD system was invented by Philips, IIRC.

And for some obscure reason, the NTSC standard is actually 29.97 frames /sec (times 2 with interlaced frames), not "60 Hz".

But in Europe, we think NTSC means "Never Twice the Same Color".

Last edited: