Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
Would it taste good?

Hm. Not sure if I should be ashamed by that pondery.

Physics news on Phys.org
I dreamed I was drunk and posting all sorts of crazy posts on PF.

collinsmark said:
I was up most of the night deleting your crazy posts. :-p

Lol Evo!

Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange
-Inception

I still wish I could control my dreams. I would just fly around everywhere.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
I still wish I could control my dreams.
You can train yourself to do this. But it does take some effort.

Go through your normal waking hours as usual, except every twenty minutes or so ask yourself if you are dreaming. Then stop and really think about it. Do the things around you truly make sense?

Get into the habit of doing that. But don't get into the habit of mindlessly answering yourself, "no, I'm not dreaming." You really need to stop and think about it. That's where the effort comes in.

Eventually this habit will carry over into your dreams. And when it does happen in a dream, you'll be able to tell. And assuming you don't wake up immediately, you'll be able to control you dream, now called a lucid dream, at least for awhile.

Once you stop putting in the effort in your waking hours, the lucid dreams will taper off accordingly.

lol anti,
for me that leads to the question of,

how deep does this rabbit hole go.

Last edited:
I dreamt of flying. I also dreamt of skating on water multiple times, and it all felt so real. It was fun too, but I can't control my dreams... I can only imagine how wild my dreams would be if I can control them. :-p

I generally dream about problems I'm trying to solve. Nothing too fun for me!

HayleySarg said:
I generally dream about problems I'm trying to solve. Nothing too fun for me!

I once had a looooooooong dream where I was standing at a kitchen sink washing dishes :frown:. But it wasn't as boring as it sounds. It focused a lot on colors bouncing off the soap bubbles.

Ooh that doesn't sound so terrible! Apparently it plagues my father too. He told me he once got a page in the middle of the night, got up and read it, when back to bed and had solved the ticket in his head by morning. Nuts! I'm not at that level yet. If only! I could fall asleep on my books and when people wake me up at the library I could legitimately claim "Hey, I'm studying!"

After I saw Inception, I had several dreams about dreams that I had after I went to sleep in my dream.

krash661 said:
Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange
-Inception
Well, that's not true. I often realize that I am dreaming. Since I was a small child I could stop a dream, rewind it and change it going forward. I called it "directed dreaming" since I'd never heard of anyone doing what I could do.

dkotschessaa said:
I'm not making cocktails with it or anything.

Really? I think it is swell with a whisper of Yoohoo and some gasoline.

Though I think it should be made into a cologne. I love the smell.

It is actually the fumes that can be toxic. I'm not an expert, but I've read that when you use it for more than a small amount of time, you should open the windows. I looked for a definitive answe re the alleged toxicity:

http://www.cuil.pt/r.php?cx=0028257...FORID:10&ie=UTF-8&q=Is+WD-40+toxic?&sa=Search

But I don't have the training in Chemistry to filter out the noise.

Last week, at a small meeting, I was causing a great impression with my quick, razor-sharp mind, multiplying three-digit numbers by three-digit numbers in my head, with a pained look of intense concentration in my face...until someone had the common sense to take-out a calculator and double-check. Now they're all angry at me for some reason. I thought it was kind of funny.

Bacle2 said:
Last week, at a small meeting, I was causing a great impression with my quick, razor-sharp mind, multiplying three-digit numbers by three-digit numbers in my head, with a pained look of intense concentration in my face...until someone had the common sense to take-out a calculator and double-check. Now they're all angry at me for some reason. I thought it was kind of funny.
Were you right or wrong?

Evo said:
Were you right or wrong?

I don't know, I was making the whole thing up. Only tried to make sure the rightmost digit
was right, e.g., the product of 383 and 657 should end in 1 . I know a nice trick for
squaring numbers, but it takes me a few minutes (even 5-or-so) to do any two 3-digits. It is an exercise in focusing.

Bacle2 said:
I know a nice trick for
squaring numbers...
The sum of a2 + 2ab + b2? That one?

Borg said:
After I saw Inception, I had several dreams about dreams that I had after I went to sleep in my dream.

Wt..

Wow. No random thoughts in nearly 24 hours. That's random.

OmCheeto said:
Wow. No random thoughts in nearly 24 hours. That's random.

Yeah, I was waiting for one to come along, but all my thoughts for the past 24 hours have been ordered and deliberate.

Huh. I know I was laying around my house trying to stay cool. It was legitimately 105 here yesterday, and the sun hits my apartment for most of the day. I have no air conditioning.

It was even too hot for my computer to be running.

On the History Channel they just said that over 2.5 billion digital photos are added to Facebook every month.

Evo said:
Well, that's not true. I often realize that I am dreaming. Since I was a small child I could stop a dream, rewind it and change it going forward. I called it "directed dreaming" since I'd never heard of anyone doing what I could do.

I control them quite often, or at least I'm aware of them. I onced threatened a guy in my dream that was being snarky with me by saying "Hey, I made you with my mind you know." Just one of those lines I never get to use IRL...

zoobyshoe said:
On the History Channel they just said that over 2.5 billion digital photos are added to Facebook every month.

But aliens are responsible for how many of them?

AnTiFreeze3 said:
But aliens are responsible for how many of them?

I'm not saying aliens are responsible for any of them, but...aliens are responsible for all of them.

zoobyshoe said:
The sum of a2 + 2ab + b2? That one?

It's a little more involved, but looks pretty impressive to others if they do not know you're using it.

Take a, as the number to be squared. Then the method consists of :

1)Adding b to a, getting a+b
2)Subtracting b from a, to get a-b ( We always take b<a)
3)Squaring b, to get b^2.

( Note : (a+b)(a-b)+b^2 =a^2-b^2+b^2= a^2+(b^2-b^2)=a^2 ; simple but powerful).

The key idea is to make a wise choice for b .

A couple of examples:

Example 1)Take a =988, so we want to calculate 988^2

2)We choose a value b , and calculate a+b and a-b .The idea is to choose b wisely. In this case, b=12 is helpful, since a+b =1000, so we multiply by 1000, which is equivalent to tacking zeros at the end. Then a-b is 976, and b^2 =144.

So we have:

988^2 =(988+12)(988-12)+12^2 =(976)(1000)+12^2 =976000+144=976144

(Check with your calculator!).

Example 2)

Take a=113 , to find 113^2 . We choose b=13 , since a-b =100 . Then:

1)a+b =113+13=126

2)a-b =113-13=100

3)b^2 =13^2 =169

Then we calculate : (a+b)(a-b)+b^2 = (126)(100)+13^2 =12600+169=12769

Note that this trick works better with some numbers than others, but with some practice you can use it for all numbers.

Let's practice, what is :

i)198^2
ii) 311^2
iii) (XMV)^(II) ?

collinsmark said:

I dreamed I was replying to your post in PF.

Maybe there should be a subthread within 'Baby it's hot outside' called, 'Baby it's cold inside'. There are all these places where one needs a coat to go indoors, with temperatures on the mid-50's. Seems the difference between Winter and Summer is on whether you wear your coat outdoors or indoors.

Bacle2 said:
I know a nice trick for
squaring numbers, but it takes me a few minutes (even 5-or-so) to do any two 3-digits.
Bacle2 said:
It's a little more involved, but looks pretty impressive to others if they do not know you're using it.
I misunderstood the first statement. I thought you meant you knew a nice trick for squaring 2 digit numbers in your head but multiplying (not squaring) 3 digit numbers took so long you made the answer up.

Anyway, I see what you mean about the choice of b.
Bacle2 said:
Let's practice, what is :

i)198^2
ii) 311^2
iii) (XMV)^(II) ?
i) b=2
ii) b=11
iii)?

I think the Terminator trilogy with Schwarzenegger is the most successful trilogy ever made. That is: all three movies were equally good.

Indiana Jones 2 and 3 were awful. 4 was a lot better due to Cate Blanchette and good chase scenes. I could have done without the aliens, though.

zoobyshoe said:
I think the Terminator trilogy with Schwarzenegger is the most successful trilogy ever made. That is: all three movies were equally good.

Indiana Jones 2 and 3 were awful. 4 was a lot better due to Cate Blanchette and good chase scenes. I could have done without the aliens, though.

No no no...What are you talking about? Indy 2, Temple of Doom was the best of the series, Then Raiders, then 3. 4 barley passed. Who's with me?

I just saw World War Z tonight. Talk about an intense movie. I looked like this through the whole 2 hours :eek:

aye...mommy...today I know I am lowly paid. (:cry:)

inotyce said:
aye...mommy...today I know I am lowly paid. (:cry:)

Better than being unemployed??

What are you going to do?

I'm paid terrible for the work I do. But then again, it beats flipping burgers or stocking shelves.

I'm sure I'll find some reasoning for my low pay post-degree as well.

=/