Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,366
OmCheeto said:
hmmmm... What is that? A three-phase light bulb?
No, definitely not! It is the old obsolete Bohr model which keeps haunting me in my dreams. And now I even see it in the new PF site logo :cry:.

EDIT: Oh, I see now that your t-shirt thing was an actual reply to my previous rant. :smile: I just instinctively saw a Bohr t-shirt and started ranting again - a good example of what the Bohr model has done to me! :blushing:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,367
Looks like I have to go back to symbolic computation :cry:

• #1,368
To write or not to write, that is the question...

• #1,369
baah

• #1,370
Enigman said:

Write! No doubt about it, and post it here for us to read. :-p

• #1,371
zoobyshoe said:
It's completely allowed, I've just never authentically needed one. Normally the Summer hot spell is not this intense, extended, or, most importantly, humid. The humidity has been uncharacteristically high this past month. Normally it's so dry here that 85˚ doesn't cause any discomfort: your sweat evaporates almost instantly, and you just don't feel that hot. In fact, it's easy to get dehydrated without realizing it, which has happened to me a lot. I end up with muscle cramps, and they go away when I drink enough water. When it's humid, though, you can't escape the sensation of being hot.

Since this is not normal, it could break at any time. So, I make do with a good fan. If I got hold of an AC unit for now, I'd have to find somewhere to store it for 4-5 years till the next humid spell like this.
I just hate to know that anyone is suffering from heat since heat makes me so physically ill. I have to keep my place no warmer than 68F in the summer.

• #1,372
Evo said:
I have to keep my place no warmer than 68F in the summer.

I started to shiver just by reading.

• #1,373
Evo said:
I just hate to know that anyone is suffering from heat since heat makes me so physically ill. I have to keep my place no warmer than 68F in the summer.

Hmmm...with the meaning of your name( italian -eternity) and the above comment my image of you just changed* into the ice queen from Narnia...A more benevolent version who doesn't ban me for bad comparisons...o:)

EDIT: *or should I say Evolved into...

• #1,374
Evo said:

I'd like to invite you to my place in the middle east. :devil::biggrin:

• #1,375
Gad said:
I can stand a lot of heat - it's the humidity that chokes me. Kind of ironic because I spent many years of my life working on or around paper machines and the combination of heat and humidity would floor anybody not used to it.

• #1,376
Gad said:
Heat makes me REALLY sick, I will break out with swollen oozing welts, I'll stop perspiring, my lower legs and feet swell until I can't see my toes or move my ankles, then my body temp drops and I pass out.

Other than that, no problem. :biggrin:

• #1,377
Enigman said:
Hmmm...with the meaning of your name( italian -eternity) and the above comment my image of you just changed* into the ice queen from Narnia...A more benevolent version who doesn't ban me for bad comparisons...o:)

EDIT: *or should I say Evolved into...
My name actually means Evil. I used to joke that my daughter was (spoken with a certain southern accent) a chile o' evo (child of evil), so that made me, obviously, Evo.

• #1,378
Evo is the etymological root of evolution. Originally latin aeveum- vital spirit.
Also Lady Eternity sounds much better than Lady Evil...Not to mention it suits your biography...
I will stick to Eternity for you,
Gad's Grace or Rose or Liza(rd),
Lisab's Basil cause she's greeeen...Too much coffee, sorry.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
  • #1,379
Evo said:
I'm really the opposite. I can take high heat and with little discomfiture. In fact, 80F is my favorite temperature. I can't stand cold at all. In the Winter here I crank the interior temperature up to 80 whenever I'm home.

I'm not so tolerant of high humidity, but like I said, it's rare here.

• #1,380
Interviewer: @@8495jhs89đ843j98i894@@ (sorry random interview questions)
Many Italian business people in the US: "Oh well, Sorry everyone, I have been out of Italy for almost 30 years (I am 60 now), I forget Italian, let me answer your question in English; <Pronunciation is too bad, incorrect grammar usage, jerking while speaking :shameless:>"

Incredible! Then I guess that if anyone coming out from the US uses English incorrectly, blame it on the American English used by American non-natives.

• #1,381
zoobyshoe said:
I'm really the opposite. I can take high heat and with little discomfiture. In fact, 80F is my favorite temperature. I can't stand cold at all. In the Winter here I crank the interior temperature up to 80 whenever I'm home.

I'm not so tolerant of high humidity, but like I said, it's rare here.

I'm the opposite to your opposition. I love cold weather. Warm weather makes me feel too groggy, whereas cold weather gives me that nice, vibrant feeling in my veins. Plus snow can be just damn fun.

I would also like to thank you for introducing me to the word "discomfiture".

• #1,382
AnTiFreeze3 said:
I'm the opposite to your opposition. I love cold weather. Warm weather makes me feel too groggy, whereas cold weather gives me that nice, vibrant feeling in my veins. Plus snow can be just damn fun.

Same here. My brain shuts down when it's too hot weather, and it can make me feel sick too. I tend to quickly move into shadows and get some cold drinks. Piña coladas, anyone? And I'm a fan of fans.

• #1,383
Enigman said:

As Rainer Rilke said in his first letter in the series Letters to a Young Poet:

Go into yourself. Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread its roots into the very depths of your heart; confess to yourself whether you would have to die if you were forbidden to write. This most of all: ask yourself in the most silent hour of your night: must I write? Dig into yourself for a deep answer. And if this answer rings out in assent, if you meet this solemn question with a strong, simple "I must", then build your life in accordance with this necessity; your whole life, even into its humblest and most indifferent hour, must become a sign and witness to this impulse.

• #1,384
The piece in question is a prose about one of the oldest character in fiction, still portrayed who has been overly abused by his followers and has probably the greatest number of authors linked to his name. I've always been critical of these petty authors who continue till date to write drivel about him; while they do mean well they succeed in adding nothing to the canon and write only too defile it further. My quandary lies in the doubt of my abilities to do the character justice where so many like minded have phenomenally failed...Not to mention that I'm supposed to be self learning QM right now and dealing with my course work...
There would have been no question if the piece were a poetry, prose on the other hand takes a lot of energy and time.

• #1,385
It's drizzling outside. What an awkward feeling of nostalgia.. not sure for what/who?

• #1,386
AnTiFreeze3 said:
I would also like to thank you for introducing me to the word "discomfiture".
You're welcome, but I hope you looked it up and discovered I used it inappropriately here, as though it were an exact synonym for "discomfort," which it isn't. Not in this case.

Anyway, most people I know are like you, and say they would rather be too cold than too hot. I'm pretty sure you are all stark raving lunatics. Dante understood the intrinsically evil nature of cold and put cold at the very center of Hell, where Satan himself was frozen in ice.

Hockey, by this criteria, is the most evil of all team sports. In case you were wondering.

• #1,387
Gad said:
It's drizzling outside. What an awkward feeling of nostalgia.. not sure for what/who?
If you were a drizzle girl, I would image you like this.

http://www.joewadefineart.com/kohn/AKohn_MidsummerDrizzle_24x10_oil.jpg

Copyright © 2013 Joe Wade Fine Art.com

• #1,388
How..But..:bugeye:

Edit: Btw, that's what I call a portrait of a lady. Thanks for sharing, dl. Beautiful.

Last edited:
  • #1,389
zoobyshoe said:
Anyway, most people I know are like you, and say they would rather be too cold than too hot. I'm pretty sure you are all stark raving lunatics. Dante understood the intrinsically evil nature of cold and put cold at the very center of Hell, where Satan himself was frozen in ice.
He probably stole the idea from the Norse 'Hel' (etymological root of hell, obviously)
a frozen realm presided by a Goddess of the same name (She's also probably the prototype of the White Witch in Chronicles of Narnia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hel_(being)

• #1,390
With cold, you can cover up to regulate how warm you are, when it's hot and humid, you die. Period. End of story.

• #1,391
Yeah, the weather is gross again. It's 92 here. It was 60 last week.

Yuck!

• #1,392
Evo said:
With cold, you can cover up to regulate how warm you are, when it's hot and humid, you die. Period. End of story.
I'm not dead.

• #1,393
Evo's correct. Due to the heat, your brains are getting scramble-fried like little eggie-weggies and you're hallucinating that you're alive.

• #1,394
^ Yup, I saw it on history channel. must be fact.

• #1,395
Pythagorean said:
Evo's correct. Due to the heat, your brains are getting scramble-fried like little eggie-weggies and you're hallucinating that you're alive.
Yup, zooby's a zombie.

HayleySarg said:
^ Yup, I saw it on history channel. must be fact.
YOU'RE BACK!

• #1,396
Evo said:

lol

I keep trying to tell my wife this.

I sleep with the a/c running and a fan on me. She has an electric blanket.

• #1,397
I had a lot of work eating up my time, and some family stuff. Starting back in school this spring though! bwahahah.

I missed it here.

• #1,398
Pythagorean said:
Hallucinatio ergo sum.

• #1,399
Evo said:
Yup, zooby's a zombie.
I don't think so. I might have become one had I stayed in Minnesota and died in a snowbank like so many Minnesotans, but I left.

• #1,400
A bit of a break in the heat wave here, sort of [comparatively, at least]. Maybe it's just temporary.

Coincidentally, I dreamed of zombies again last night! They were the slow moving type, which made getting around a lot easier. I had to backtrack once because I forgot my keys, necessitating the weaving and dancing routine in and out of the zombie pack. It all went pretty smoothly though, more-or-less.

In other news, I played a little Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs last night before going to bed.

Last edited: