Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,401
zoobyshoe said:
You're welcome, but I hope you looked it up and discovered I used it inappropriately here, as though it were an exact synonym for "discomfort," which it isn't. Not in this case ...

I actually had looked it up, and noticed that the definition didn't seem to quite fit with your sentence, but I'm a fan of leniency when it comes to the definition of words, so I didn't take issue with it. For me, the aesthetic quality of a sentence, and the syntax of it will always trump my care for the precise denotation of words.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,402
I went to a new dentist today. They have a mandatory two-hour initial office visit, but they were running a bit late so it went over two hours. The hygienist was quite thorough, judging by how sore my gums are now.

• #1,403
I submitted a paper to a journal today (yay!)

• #1,404
Pythagorean said:

Cheers, Pyth :smile:!

• #1,405
Pythagorean said:

Yippee and such!

• #1,406
Great Pythagorean! :)

• #1,407
I really need a break, see everyone later...
And Congrats Pyth. :smile:

• #1,408
Evo said:
With cold, you can cover up to regulate how warm you are, when it's hot and humid, you die. Period. End of story.

Today, it's supposed to be 97'F, a new record. And 80+% humidity. It was nice knowing you all. :cry:

• #1,409
OmCheeto said:
Today, it's supposed to be 97'F, a new record. And 80+% humidity. It was nice knowing you all. :cry:
Gets large box fan, points it NW in Om's direction, turns it on high.

Don't worry OM, relief is heading your way!

• #1,410
When it's that hot, a box fan doesn't help.

I am crazy enough to want to hike today after work. Hmm.

• #1,411
HayleySarg said:
Shhhhh, I'm trying to make him feel cooler.

• #1,412
Pythagorean said:
Congratulations!

• #1,413
HayleySarg said:

Technically fans make a room hotter.

• #1,414
dkotschessaa said:
I suppose this is true.

If I need to cool down and have no access to air conditioning, I just do the really stupid thing of putting the box fan in the doorway of the bathroom, and take a shower without the curtain drawn (carefully).

A cold shower.

If that doesn't cool me off, I try to fit in the freezer. Thankfully I've never had to attempt the latter.

Last edited:
  • #1,415
Evo said:
Gets large box fan, points it NW in Om's direction, turns it on high.

Don't worry OM, relief is heading your way!

I have survived, so far.

I did laundry last night, so I could wear my magical hippy tofu fairy dust infused underwear. They carried me through the day.

The humidity also did a dive. Although it's 95'F, the humidity is only 40%.
Thank you for the dry air Evo!

• #1,416
dkotschessaa said:
Fans make me feel cooler.

I'm so happy Tesla invented the quiet, cheap to manufacture, nearly everlasting induction motor. And the main reason I am is: fans.

• #1,417
If the air is dry enough to allow evaporation (not a current condition here) I love fans.

• #1,418
The humidity has been too high for fans to be super effective. So I just add more water and more fans.

• #1,419
It's been raining for two days now! :eek:

• #1,420
Someone that I really admire intellectually said that someone told him about the electrical grid on Oahu and he told me a story and I was flabbergasted about what he was telling me so we discussed it and I told him to email me something regarding the event and I was like...

Wow... This reminds me of a discussion on PF from a month or two ago.

Wow...
me said:
The author of the section you quoted:

Marni Chan
Marni has a M.A. from NYU's Arthur Carter Journalism Institute's Cultural Reporting and Criticism Program, where she studied under Susie Linfield, Katie Roiphe, and Dennis Lim. She also has a B.A. in history and politics from Pomona College. Marni has previously written for Forbes, AOL, and Conde Nast Traveler.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/1...ks-and-why-it-takes-so-long-to-get-power-back

Marni Chan said:
In the U.S. we use the AC system (alternating current) versus the DC system. Unfortunately, like picking the Imperial over the Metric system, we chose the wrong one. A direct current can shoot power out to one spot. But, with an alternating current you need an equal and opposite transition to balance the system, otherwise the system fails. Basically, we already have an AC grid system much more vulnerable to voltage crash, because there are more points of weakness, a.k.a. more opportunities for Sandy to do damage.

me again said:
She talks electric grid gibberish.
I may take this to my science forum.
They have a blast with MA’s who “attempt” to write coherent technical articles.
We had one about 2 months ago. Everyone was laughing.

Good god.

"Direct current can shoot power out to one spot." :smile:

:cry: :smile: :cry:

• #1,421
He has a PhD in Macular Degeneration. I know how power grids work.

We have fun, discussing, things... :smile:

• #1,422
I just had a call for a job interview with Panasonic Company but after they asked me about my expected salary, they have kept silent without emailing me to confirm any more tests or face-to-face interviews. I was telling them about the market price. I certainly don't know about the company's payable amounts for any positions. So sad...But I sure call them directly 1 hour later just to make sure they didn't send an email to an incorrect address.

• #1,425
No school today cause of the rain.. I'll probably go out and walk in the rain.

• #1,426
Gad said:
No school today cause of the rain.. I'll probably go out and walk in the rain.

Are all the people where you live made of sugar or something?

(obviously not you).

-Dave K

• #1,427
dkotschessaa said:
Are all the people where you live made of sugar or something?

(obviously not you).

-Dave K

Cold.

• #1,428
Lol dkotschessaa!

• #1,429

Cheers!

(couldn't get the youtube html tags to work correctly. It's broken. (More likely: I'm broken.)

Edit by Borek: hard to deny :-p

vDvWOkHN-9Y[/youtube] It's "Message to Voyager"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,430
HayleySarg said:
Cold.

Oh I am sure Gad is very sweet, but just not so...soluble.

• #1,431
Not in water anyways.

That pesky dihydrogen monoxide.

• #1,432
No school tomorrow, it's flooding all over the place..

• #1,433
Enigman said:
Can someone please help him, I need a break...

I'm lost. I wouldn't have a problem with "miritary tlaining". But presumably minitary training is the opposite of maxitary training :confused:

• #1,434
Being nice - that's good.

But being kind - that's great o:).

• #1,435
lisab said:
Being nice - that's good.

But being kind - that's great o:).

Being great - that's... someone help me out here.