Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,506
lendav_rott said:
how can I disable this whole "thread subscription" business, I don't want an email every time someone has posted somewhere :/
Use the https://www.physicsforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions link in the https://www.physicsforums.com/usercp.php page. Change the Default Thread Subscription Mode to No Email Notification.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,507
Check out today's google tribute!

• #1,508
the birthday tribute?

• #1,509
lendav_rott said:
the birthday tribute?
Yes, it's pretty.

• #1,510
Evo said:
Yes, it's pretty.

I just noticed that its got an animation too. Click on the clock on right and two sliders appear...fun!

• #1,511
44 years ago today, Hendrix died. We lost a guitar monster.

• #1,512
I want to see the one in the Pantheon :D
Nov 27 will be probably for Jimi Hendrix

• #1,513
Evo said:

I just did I've seen it once what is this phenomena called and where can I find an explanation to it?

• #1,514
ABD EL HAMEED said:
I just did I've seen it once what is this phenomena called and where can I find an explanation to it?

The magnifying glass to the right.

• #1,515
Enigman said:
The magnifying glass to the right.

Ahh I see it now

• #1,516
Evo said:

Cool! We have one of these in our physics building. It's very...expensive.

• #1,517
  • #1,518
We had a 3 story* high Foucault pendulum in the engineering building of the university I used to attend. The pendulum was in the building's main atrium, which spanned all three stories.

*(with pretty generously high ceilings for each story)

A quick Google search suggests the pendulum is not there anymore though.

• #1,519
dlgoff said:
The reason: Coriolis effect

So this happens because the Earth is spinning?

• #1,520
You know you're from _____ when...

(Wait, you don't know where you're from?)

-Dave K

• #1,521
*thinking whether I should take a painkiller or not*

• #1,522
  • #1,523
Gad said:
If they are good I'd probably take two more. :devil:

• #1,524
Gad said:

Then take half of one.

Math solves everything.

• #1,525
Gad said:
what's the matter, darling?

• #1,526
dlgoff said:
http://img1.catalog.photos.msn.com/Image.aspx?uuid=efd5eb42-6829-47cb-a25c-8089584c8c47&w=628&h=498&so=2

One of the joys of my job is the the surrealness of the official reports of aviation incidents that drift through my work email.

Like the time a 747 was making its landing approach into Anchorage, Alaska, when the flight crew spotted a bald eagle flying ahead of them, with a large salmon held in its talons like a torpedo.

When the eagle became aware of the 747 it took evasive action, and jettisoned the fish - which scored a direct hit on #3 engine.

Moral: don't get fish-slapped by an eagle.

• #1,527
See? Even eagles like salmon

• #1,528
lendav_rott said:
See? Even eagles like salmon
Evidently so do 747 engines.

• #1,529
We had some fun speculating about the weight of the fish, compared with the certification test requirement of ingesting an 8-pound bird (the engine doesn't have to work after doing that, so long as it doesn't fall apart, catch fire, etc).

The fish went straight through without doing much damage, but probably got chopped into salmon steaks by the fan blades.

• #1,530
Oh the agony, I have a long day tomorrow and no sleep yet. :cry:

• #1,531
Life would be boring if it was too easy, namsaying?

• #1,532
AlephZero said:
We had some fun speculating about the weight of the fish, compared with the certification test requirement of ingesting an 8-pound bird (the engine doesn't have to work after doing that, so long as it doesn't fall apart, catch fire, etc).

The fish went straight through without doing much damage, but probably got chopped into salmon steaks by the fan blades.
CSI, or some such show, had an episode where a guy was found dead in the desert. Cause of death was massive blunt force trauma to the head, and foul play was suspected. The murder weapon seemed to be a tortoise, of all things. A fresh, broken tortoise shell was found nearby.

Eventually they learned a local species of raptor had learned to open tortoise shells by flying them up into the air and dropping them onto rocks. They surmised the deceased's bald head had probably looked like a rock to the bird.

Given your salmon story, it's conceivable there may someday be a jet engine vs tortoise contest.

• #1,533
zoobyshoe said:
CSI, or some such show, had an episode where a guy was found dead in the desert. Cause of death was massive blunt force trauma to the head, and foul play was suspected. The murder weapon seemed to be a tortoise, of all things. A fresh, broken tortoise shell was found nearby.

Eventually they learned a local species of raptor had learned to open tortoise shells by flying them up into the air and dropping them onto rocks. They surmised the deceased's bald head had probably looked like a rock to the bird.

Given your salmon story, it's conceivable there may someday be a jet engine vs tortoise contest.

Good God! Is nothing sacred? That story is a shameless rip-off of how Aeschylus died.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeschylus
wiki said:
Valerius Maximus wrote that he was killed outside the city by a tortoise dropped by an eagle which had mistook his head for a rock suitable for shattering the shell of the reptile. Pliny, in his Naturalis Historiæ, adds that Aeschylus had been staying outdoors to avoid a prophecy that he would be killed by a falling object.

• #1,534
I wonder when they don't suspect foul play in CSI/CSI-ish shows. :D

• #1,535
zoobyshoe said:

Actually, raptors are a pain for aviation. They are big, and they stooge around for hours at the top of thermals at 20,000 feet, waiting for their next meal to die.

You would be surprised at the things that really have got into engines. Somebody once tried (and failed) to ingest a horse that was running loose on an airfield. During the flight there were some complaints from the passengers about a strange smell in the cabin, the source of which was identified in the official incident report as "partially digested grass".

We have an open-air facility for doing bird strike tests. The birds (humanely killed beforehand) are fired from a device that looks like Rube Goldberg invented a cross between a multiple RPG launcher and a medieval siege weapon. One day, it had been loaded up with a salvo of ducks when some problem caused a delay. By the time that was fixed everybody decided to postpone the test till the after lunch and went off to eat.

The test should have been routine, but the result was a loud bang and a shower of broken bits of engine. Inspection of the damage revealed the curious fact that some of the ducks apparently had black and white fur instead of feathers. And the factory cat was never seen again...

I guess it had a nice lunch of fresh duck, curled up for a little nap, and then got a BIG surprise!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

• #1,536
zoobyshoe said:
Eventually they learned a local species of raptor had learned to open tortoise shells by flying them up into the air and dropping them onto rocks.

I've seen herring gulls doing that to crack open shellfish - but only from a height of about 10 feet.

• #1,537
I give up. TL-WN725N v2 won't work with Raspbian and my router using DHCP.

Actually after spending last two days trying to configure it I think I am going to explode. Dongle works out of the box with DHCP under XBMC, my other Pi works without any problems with some older Raspbian, DHCP and TL-WN725N v1, using current Raspbian and TL-WN725N v2 I can see my home wireless with iwlist scan, but I can't connect and get IP from DHCP. No, nil, null, zilch, nada. Whatever.

• #1,538
AlephZero said:
I've seen herring gulls doing that to crack open shellfish - but only from a height of about 10 feet.

Oh yes, a fairly common sight here too, but from 20 or 30 feet (are our clams tougher here :biggrin:?). But only the dumber ones do the dropping.

The smart ones hang out on the ground, waiting to swoop onto just-dropped clams.

All the parking lots at a marina near where I live are covered in shells from this activity!

• #1,539
Enigman said:
Good God! Is nothing sacred? That story is a shameless rip-off of how Aeschylus died.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeschylus
Wow, I'd never heard this story! You're right, they must certainly have used it as the template for the episode.
AlephZero said:
And the factory cat was never seen again...

I guess it had a nice lunch of fresh duck, curled up for a little nap, and then got a BIG surprise!

:cry: :cry: :cry:
That's sad. Cats don't seem to do well in science. (Schrodinger, and all that).

• #1,540
Borek said:
I give up. TL-WN725N v2 won't work with Raspbian and my router using DHCP.

Actually after spending last two days trying to configure it I think I am going to explode. Dongle works out of the box with DHCP under XBMC, my other Pi works without any problems with some older Raspbian, DHCP and TL-WN725N v1, using current Raspbian and TL-WN725N v2 I can see my home wireless with iwlist scan, but I can't connect and get IP from DHCP. No, nil, null, zilch, nada. Whatever.
Hmm, have you tried using reciprocating dingle arm?