Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
dkotschessaa said:
Doppelgangers... my least favorite sci-fi cliche plot device. ugh
Doppelgangers are very interesting to me because the probable origin of the concept is the neurological phenomenon of autoscopy, the hallucination of seeing yourself from the outside, from an external viewpoint.

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/165/6/808.abstract

Most cases of this are associated with simple partial epilepsy.

What I think this experience demonstrates is that we require some dedicated neural mechanism to tell us we are located in our bodies. When that mechanism is compromised we aren't sure where we are located and under some circumstances will hallucinate we are seeing ourselves from the outside.

Physics news on Phys.org
wukunlin said:
Having another one of those "WHY AM I EVEN DOING AN MSC!?" moment... stupid setup has been giving me rubbish data for the past week and I just can't find where the problem is :S

ugh.. whatever I'll go back and keep trying to find out...

while that problem is solved. This @#$% lock in amplifier just won't give any data to my computer, aarrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

ImATrackMan said:
(A nice sharp cheddar is best for what follows)

Cook an egg (scrambled for best results) or two, and put all three ingredients IN a carved out, oven crisped cuban bread roll.

Best sandwich ever, and believe me I've done it countless times... And now that I think about it, I should post this in The Food Thread.

Good idea, but I'll have to wait a while; I have been eating so much that I get short of breath just by using the remote.

Bacle2 said:
Good idea, but I'll have to wait a while; I have been eating so much that I get short of breath just by using the remote.
That's inspiring. I can get winded by just changing my mind.

zoobyshoe said:
Doppelgangers are very interesting to me because the probable origin of the concept is the neurological phenomenon of autoscopy, the hallucination of seeing yourself from the outside, from an external viewpoint.

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/165/6/808.abstract

Most cases of this are associated with simple partial epilepsy.

What I think this experience demonstrates is that we require some dedicated neural mechanism to tell us we are located in our bodies. When that mechanism is compromised we aren't sure where we are located and under some circumstances will hallucinate we are seeing ourselves from the outside.

That's possibly one origin, though a bit abstruse. The way it's used as a plot device (and a very worn one) is usually playing on fears that somebody is not who they seem, or basic questions about identity, or whether we are (as you kind of hint at) defined by our physical bodies or something else.

Today's xkcd:

I'm So Random
im_so_random.png

(With mouseover: "In retrospect, it's weird that as a kid I thought completely random outbursts made me seem interesting, given that from an information theory point of view, lexical white noise is just about the opposite of interesting by definition.")

[Source:http://www.xkcd.com/1210/]

Wow. Talk about luck. Picture taken after tornado in Poland, July 2012.

http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/wiadomosci/zwyciezcy-grand-press-photo-2013,5513898,14289195,fotoreportaz-duzy.html

Bacle2 said:

lolol

3 y.o. son of our friends, asked what was for dinner at kindergarten: "meat, potatoes and leaves".

(Note: dinner here is eaten at about the same time you eat lunch.)

The world is getting wiser the wiser are wise arses.

I was hanging out in B&N, and I was by the Philosophy section, when a young kid, around 7-8
asked me what philosophy was. It seemed like too big of a question; I tried for a while, but got
nowhere (probably my own ignorance ) and ended up telling him that it was "about people called
Phil" . Hopefully he'll forget this , because if not, he'll end up confused as hell .

I had the same issue a while back when an older lady asked me where she could buy an internet,
and why they called it the internet (she wanted "the latest model" of the internet). I tried explaining
the little I knew, about networks of computers, about servers "serving" files by request , etc., but the message did not get across ( after 20 min. ,she asked "so, is it like a telephone, or like a TV?" ). So I told her the internet was named that way because of its inventor, Henry Internet. I can imagine her getting into a cab and saying
"quick, take me to the internet".

Then, of course, evolution is about Evo, who is not just a mentor, but also the president of Bolivia.

Last edited:
Bacle2 said:
I was hanging out in B&N, and I was by the Philosophy section, when a young kid, around 7-8
asked me what philosophy was. It seemed like too big of a question; I tried for a while, but got
nowhere (probably my own ignorance ) and ended up telling him that it was "about people called
Phil"

Things I learned today on PF: Harry Stottle's middle name is Phil.

I bought a new set of sheets today. Not sure if this is done outside of the US, but here most stores have a sample of the sheet available to touch. This keeps people from opening the packages.

So I go down the aisle, touching all the samples. Too slippery, too rough, too cold, eww this one catches every rough spot on my hand, etc. Finally I find the perfect sheet, on sale even!

I get home, open the package...and it feels nothing like the sample in the store. I think the only way it could feel like that is if I have several thousand people come rub their dirty paws all over my sheets. Maybe I can run a Craigslist ad? "Looking for volunteers to soften my sheets by touching them." Nah, I guess not.

Yet another first world problem :biggrin:.

lisab said:
I bought a new set of sheets today. Not sure if this is done outside of the US, but here most stores have a sample of the sheet available to touch. This keeps people from opening the packages.

So I go down the aisle, touching all the samples. Too slippery, too rough, too cold, eww this one catches every rough spot on my hand, etc. Finally I find the perfect sheet, on sale even!

I get home, open the package...and it feels nothing like the sample in the store. I think the only way it could feel like that is if I have several thousand people come rub their dirty paws all over my sheets. Maybe I can run a Craigslist ad? "Looking for volunteers to soften my sheets by touching them." Nah, I guess not.

Yet another first world problem :biggrin:.

You think _you_ have (1st world) problems? I sent my butler and my assistant to Madrid for Churros with Chocolate, and they arrived here all soggy ( the churros, that is). Now I'll have to go downtown and get them, even though they are not Spanish Churros; not the real thing.

...I am lost for words. Turns out when a manual says "use a straight through RS232 cable" the device only works when you connect pin 2 to pin 3 and pin 3 to pin 2, not like you know, pin 2 to pin 2 and pin 3 to pin 3...

>_<

9 pin ≠ 25 pin

rs232-cable-pin-out.jpg

I don't understand why they cannot tell you the weather (on T.V)
using a time-of-day v temperature graph, or at least why they cannot
include a graph with the report. You're told the temperature at the time of the report,
then the meteorologists goes on talking for 2 minutes, and it
never seems clear how the temperature will be changing over the day.

Bacle2 said:
I don't understand why they cannot tell you the weather (on T.V)
using a time-of-day v temperature graph, or at least why they cannot
include a graph with the report.

You need a better TV station. Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Click on one of the days in the 5-day forecast to get an hourly forecast, choose the "graph" or "table" options.

You can set the location to anywhere in the UK, but I guess they don't do forecasts for other countries.

AlephZero said:
You need a better TV station. Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Click on one of the days in the 5-day forecast to get an hourly forecast, choose the "graph" or "table" options.

You can set the location to anywhere in the UK, but I guess they don't do forecasts for other countries.

I haven't found online sources giving detailed information either; I usually go by Weather
Underground :http://www.wunderground.com/US/NY/New_York.html?MR=1 . It just seems
like a graph would tell you everything you want to know with a single look. Instead, there is a lot of talk about things most of the audience (in an urban area ) is not likely to be interested in, or affected-by. I mean, are there
people in boats who watch these stations? Why then bother with info on tides? Why bother
with barometric pressure? I hear the pressure is 1012 ? Buy? Sell? I assume people with
more specialized needs have access to their own sources, and do not watch the weather in these stations.

Last edited:
What an idiot:

I usually shake my Naked Juice before drinking it. Still, this time I was looking at this attractive woman
in the other side of the store; this time, I forgot I had opened the juice, and I start shaking it ( the juice!), and I pore it
all over myself. Sure I caused a good impression on anyone seeing me. I couldn't stop laughing.

Been outside with my mallards. Male and female. They return here every late spring to mate. Goes against everything I've ever read about mallards, they're inseparable. The male watches out for the female, let's her eat first while guarding her. I haven't seen their son with them yet this year, maybe he finally found a mate. Although a couple of weeks ago, I saw two very large males frolicking in the stream together. Sadly, in a few weeks the male will start moulting and then they'll both leave, hopefully to return next year. We have never been able to find the nest or the ducklings.

Evo said:
Been outside with my mallards. Male and female. They return here every late spring to mate. Goes against everything I've ever read about mallards, they're inseparable. The male watches out for the female, let's her eat first while guarding her. I haven't seen their son with them yet this year, maybe he finally found a mate. Although a couple of weeks ago, I saw two very large males frolicking in the stream together. Sadly, in a few weeks the male will start moulting and then they'll both leave, hopefully to return next year. We have never been able to find the nest or the ducklings.

You could keep them forever if you had a 12 gauge and a good taxidermist.

trollcast said:
You could keep them forever if you had a 12 gauge and a good taxidermist.
:eek:

Does any else wonder if they'll soon be able to build a 3D printer which prints 3D printers?

Someone must of had that idea :smile:

Saxby said:
Does any else wonder if they'll soon be able to build a 3D printer which prints 3D printers?

there's a topic on another forum about 3d metal printing,
i have not read it yet, just came across it.
i'll see if i can find it.
if it's ok

I'm married to a Puerto Rican beauty whose brother is Married to a Filipino beauty who is also a chef.

I love the leftovers in this house.

-Dave K

Saxby said:

I attend an electronics meeting at a site where other groups also meet. One of the groups builds their own 3D printers. Some of the more advanced guys incorporate parts that were made with a 3D printer. Still have to put it together though.

dlgoff said:
9 pin ≠ 25 pin
haha thanks. On the bright side I spent a week learning everything about baudrate, stopbits, parity bits, databits and all that jazz even though they weren't the problem :)

dlgoff said:
9 pin ≠ 25 pin
Also, pins 2 and 3 are opposite ways round for DCE and DTE devices.

25 pin DTE devices transmit on pin 2 and receive on pin 3.
25 pin DCE devices transmit on pin 3 and receive on pin 2.
9 pin DTE devices transmit on pin 3 and receive on pin 2.
9 pin DCE devices transmit on pin 2 and receive on pin 3.

This is a good example of the First Law of Connecting Things: if there is more than one option, and the first one you try never works.

wukunlin said:
haha thanks. On the bright side I spent a week learning everything about baudrate, stopbits, parity bits, databits and all that jazz even though they weren't the problem :)
and, not to forget, hobbits.

10MB internet should not cost $50 a month. I don't want cable. I don't want a phone. I don't want superfastgamergeekspeed fiber BS. I just want plain vanilla internet and I'm not going to pay a lot for this muffler! er..internet!

I like Sugar Ray's music
I mean, great song and everything, but I'm curious about his interest and enthusiasm about flies.
Why do you want a fly, Sugar Ray? Going fly-fishing? And why don't you just go out in the
garden and swat one?

Last edited by a moderator:
dkotschessaa said:
10MB internet should not cost $50 a month. I don't want cable. I don't want a phone. I don't want superfastgamergeekspeed fiber BS. I just want plain vanilla internet and I'm not going to pay a lot for this muffler! er..internet!

could be worse. We have internet cheaper than $50 a month, but watching 2 youtube videos later you will end up in dial up speed.