Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,786
dkotschessaa said:
OMG. I thought my restrictions were bad. What the heck is left? Pretty much it looks like you're allowed to have... I mean I can't even think of anything.
There really is nothing, and I'm very cranky. I did find out that coffee and tea will help block iron, so I drink a lot of those all day since most foods contain some iron. I am giving blood to reduce my blood iron levels.

And is this a temporary thing or a permanent change?
Hopefully temporary for some of it. I have very high ferratin serum levels which destroy your heart, kidneys and liver, cause raised blood sugar levels (mimics type II diabetes), and causes high blood pressure. So, when we get my iron reduced, the other health issues will not get worse, and some may improve, so I can get back to a more normal diet.

Wishing you the best.
Thanks, my diet is making me irate, I have a daily online food journal that automatically tracks the nutrients in everything I eat. :frown:

The good news is that I no longer feel like I'm dying every day, still very tired though (been doing this for a couple of months).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,787
Evo said:
The good news is that I no longer feel like I'm dying every day, still very tired though (been doing this for a couple of months).

It kind of echoes what I have with the reactive hypoglycemic thing. I was glad to find that there was a way to make me feel better, but it is very restrictive and very easy to do something wrong and feel pretty crappy, like accidently eating too many carbs.

Well, at least we have the nutrition science to tell us these things. I often think how in more primitive times I simply would have been considered lazy or stupid when really a diet change was all that was needed to correct my energy and brain-fog issues.

• #1,788
dkotschessaa said:
It kind of echoes what I have with the reactive hypoglycemic thing. I was glad to find that there was a way to make me feel better, but it is very restrictive and very easy to do something wrong and feel pretty crappy, like accidently eating too many carbs.

Well, at least we have the nutrition science to tell us these things. I often think how in more primitive times I simply would have been considered lazy or stupid when really a diet change was all that was needed to correct my energy and brain-fog issues.
Sorry to hear, but glad that you found out.

• #1,789
Evo aren't you supposed to be hospitalized for such a condition? You can barely consume anything.

• #1,790
Akaisora said:
Evo aren't you supposed to be hospitalized for such a condition? You can barely consume anything.
I'm getting an average of 500-600 calories a day, which since I'm not really moving due to pain, is all I seem to need. One day I might not feel like eating anything and they next day I might eat 700 calories. I am dizzy, which might be lack of food, but I think I'll adjust. My iron could be back to normal in 6 months to a year. Then I just have to give blood occasionally to keep it controlled, unless something temporary was causing it. Who Knows? My doctor surely doesn't, I had to insist on tests, which he should have done years ago. I've been treated for high blood pressure for ~9 years and not once did he even check my cholesterol levels even though my family has a history of dying young from heart failure (my dad was only 53, my grandfather same or younger). The heart issues could have been caused by iron. If anyone has high BP, blood sugar, etc... they should get their iron levels checked. The body cannot excrete excess iron. Being tested takes less than a minute and is cheap and could save your life.

• #1,791
Evo said:
I'm getting an average of 500-600 calories a day, which since I'm not really moving due to pain, is all I seem to need. One day I might not feel like eating anything and they next day I might eat 700 calories. I am dizzy, which might be lack of food, but I think I'll adjust. My iron could be back to normal in 6 months to a year. Then I just have to give blood occasionally to keep it controlled, unless something temporary was causing it. Who Knows? My doctor surely doesn't, I had to insist on tests, which he should have done years ago. I've been treated for high blood pressure for ~9 years and not once did he even check my cholesterol levels even though my family has a history of dying young from heart failure (my dad was only 53, my grandfather same or younger). The heart issues could have been caused by iron. If anyone has high BP, blood sugar, etc... they should get their iron levels checked. The body cannot excrete excess iron. Being tested takes less than a minute and is cheap and could save your life.

A lot of my family members have diabetes, high blood sugar and high blood cholesterol. I have gotten the latter. So I added more omega-3 fatty acids into my diet.

Anyway, I will consider taking a blood test.

• #1,792
This has become non-random, but maybe it could save someone's life. My doctor has "diagnosed' me with hemotomachrosis, yet he's just going by serum ferritin, and has done no diagnostic tests. But I have liver damage, borderline kidney damage, and everything else I mentioned, I'm going for a heart scan. No one in my family was ever diagnosed with this, but he says that's only because they died and didn't get diagnosed. :rolleyes:

Here is info on it http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/177216-overview

So, if you have a couple of these symptoms, it's not a bad idea to get your iron levels checked.

• #1,793
Interesting to hear that docs in America are comparably stupid to those we have here.

• #1,794
Llamas are great animals.

• #1,795
lisab said:
Llamas are great animals.
Did you know that "llama" is the only word in the English language that begins with double consonant letters (as in two of the same, consonant letters)?

(At least that's what I'm told.)

• #1,796
Mm! I did not know that.

• #1,797
Amazing! President Ilham Aliyev of Azerbaijan is so popular, he won the election handily before voting had even begun!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ction-results-before-voting-had-even-started/

Azerbaijan's big presidential election, held on Wednesday, was anticipated to be neither free nor fair. President Ilham Aliyev, who took over from his father 10 years ago, has stepped up intimidation of activists and journalists...

...So it was a bit awkward when Azerbaijan's election authorities released vote results – a full day before voting had even started.

He won with 72.76% of the vote. Amazing!

• #1,798
turbo said:
Mm! I did not know that.

Zzz.

(Well I guess that's a triple.)

• #1,799
collinsmark said:
Did you know that "llama" is the only word in the English language that begins with double consonant letters (as in two of the same, consonant letters)?

(At least that's what I'm told.)

Well, it's not exactly an English word, and there are plenty of Welsh place names starting with ll.

Llandudno, Llanberis, etc, as well as the infamous
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

• #1,800
AlephZero said:
Well, it's not exactly an English word, and there are plenty of Welsh place names starting with ll.

Llandudno, Llanberis, etc, as well as the infamous
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

I just checked my dictionary. (As it so happens, I just happened to have a dictionary right in front of me next to various translations of the Eddas and a copy of Beowulf [translated]. :smile:) It wasn't difficult to check since there are only 21 possible locations that could contain a word beginning with a double consonant.

According to my dictionary, "llama" is the only word that begins with a double consonant (two of the same consonant letters).

Place names are proper names, so they don't count, nor are they even in the English dictionary. "Zzz" is not in my dictionary (according to my dictionary, "zzz" is not a word).

• #1,801
Stop changing the rules :biggrin: Your first post said "word". It didn't say anything about dictionaries. Are you arguing that "London" (for example) isn't a "word"?

Anyway, Llama is a Peruvian word, not English, and the ll spelling was probably from Spanish, not English. (So it really ought to be a yiama, not a llama).

• #1,802
"Sequipedalian" is the only word in the English language that means what it means.

• #1,803
OK my 2 cents
since Alphazero commented on stop changing the rules "word in the English language" as he said was what was first said. and nothing about proper names etc
Therefore I submit Lloyd as a common spelling version of the guys name. Sometimes a single 'L' sometimes double

cheers
Dave

• #1,804
Malala.. Putin... Really?

• #1,805
zoobyshoe said:
"Sequipedalian" is the only word in the English language that means what it means.

Along the same lines-
hippomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of long words.

Last edited:
  • #1,806
Llano is technically a Spanish word but, most of the Wikipedia articles refer to US rivers, towns and counties. Similarly, would the name of a language (Llanito) count?

• #1,807
Gad said:
Malala.. Putin... Really?

"www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQy5FEugUFQ" vs. Putin...that's a tough one...
hopefully Putin gets [strike]shoe smacked[/strike]*...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,808
Ladies and gentlemen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJBZDrUEYYo

Found out yesterday. :)

• #1,809
dkotschessaa said:
Ladies and gentlemen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJBZDrUEYYo

Found out yesterday. :)

Wait...really? WOW congrats! o:) yay :thumbs:!

• #1,810
lisab said:
wait...really? Wow congrats! O:) yay :thumbs:!

yep!

• #1,811
Ok, there's several things you need to know: breastfeeding makes your babies smart. There's no evidence that that breastfeeding causes intelligence. Crying it out causes brain damage. There's no evidence that cry it out causes brain damage. Reward/punishment is not an appropriate form of discipline for humans. Reward/punishment is an appropriate form of discipline for humans.

Also:

This Be The Verse, By Philip Larkin:

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

Or maybe not:

Judith Rich Harris:
How sharper than a serpent’s tooth
To hear your child make such a fuss.
It isn’t fair—it’s not the truth—
He’s ****ed up, yes, but not by us.

enjoy! (an congrats)

• #1,812
dkotschessaa said:
yep!
Boy am I sloooow.

Congratulations!

• #1,813
Pythagorean said:
Ok, there's several things you need to know: breastfeeding makes your babies smart. There's no evidence that that breastfeeding causes intelligence. Crying it out causes brain damage. There's no evidence that cry it out causes brain damage. Reward/punishment is not an appropriate form of discipline for humans. Reward/punishment is an appropriate form of discipline for humans.

My wife already knows I am a logic nerd and a skeptic. But now she's really going to feel the wrath of it, I'm afraid. Every time I hear some bit of advice (some bit of folk wisdom, let's say) I ask if it came from a reputable source. "What does the research say?" "That doesn't make sense." "Just because they did X doesn't mean it worked (regression to the mean)." "Let me look that up first."

Also:

This Be The Verse, By Philip Larkin:

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

Or maybe not:

Judith Rich Harris:
How sharper than a serpent’s tooth
To hear your child make such a fuss.
It isn’t fair—it’s not the truth—
He’s ****ed up, yes, but not by us.

enjoy! (an congrats)

Thank you!

I've got all kinds of great plans for messing up my kid. I've already learned how babies habituate in order to develop number sense. They stare at stuff until they are familiar with it. So they stare at 1 light, then 2 lights, then 3, but between 3 and 4 they can't tell the difference until a certain age. I'm going to use this information. Somehow.

Also, alphabet blocks. 4 sets of them. Set theory. I think i can do that at 10 months.

I have a background in music and almost have a math degree. My wife has a bachelor's in theatre and a masters in journalism. Our baby will be prepped for the road to geekdom.

Of course, that means the most likely outcome is that our kid will want to be a complete jock.

oh yes, we've got this kid thing alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll figured out

-Dave K

• #1,814
Okay...getting mistaken for a mentor can get realllly awkward...
:redface:

• #1,815
Enigman said:

I saw it! Actually it was delightfully melodramatic. The poster reacted to your post as if he suddenly realized he was in the presence of royalty. I laughed.

• #1,816
Enigman said:
:smile:

• #1,817
dkotschessaa said:
My wife already knows I am a logic nerd and a skeptic. But now she's really going to feel the wrath of it, I'm afraid. Every time I hear some bit of advice (some bit of folk wisdom, let's say) I ask if it came from a reputable source. "What does the research say?" "That doesn't make sense." "Just because they did X doesn't mean it worked (regression to the mean)." "Let me look that up first."

Thank you!

I've got all kinds of great plans for messing up my kid. I've already learned how babies habituate in order to develop number sense. They stare at stuff until they are familiar with it. So they stare at 1 light, then 2 lights, then 3, but between 3 and 4 they can't tell the difference until a certain age. I'm going to use this information. Somehow.

Also, alphabet blocks. 4 sets of them. Set theory. I think i can do that at 10 months.

I have a background in music and almost have a math degree. My wife has a bachelor's in theatre and a masters in journalism. Our baby will be prepped for the road to geekdom.

Of course, that means the most likely outcome is that our kid will want to be a complete jock.

oh yes, we've got this kid thing alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll figured out

-Dave K

May I suggest the Meltzoff experiment? It worked wonderfully with both of my daughters. We are also geekdocrats: one of our daughters is named Darwin.

• #1,818
Pythagorean said:
May I suggest the Meltzoff experiment? It worked wonderfully with both of my daughters. We are also geekdocrats: one of our daughters is named Darwin.

Fantastic!

• #1,819
Congratulations, Dave! Alphabet blocks are a great idea, IMO. I'm sure your little one will be well challenged.