Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,822
Pythagorean said:
one of our daughters is named Darwin.

Shouldn't that be Darwina?

(And you could then name another daughter Darloosa...)

• #1,823
If the millions of women who haul water long distances had a faucet by their door, whole societies could be transformed.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/04/water-slaves/johnson-photography

The Burden of Thirst
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/04/water-slaves/rosenberg-text
In wealthy parts of the world, people turn on a faucet and out pours abundant, clean water. Yet nearly 900 million people in the world have no access to clean water, and 2.5 billion people have no safe way to dispose of human waste—many defecate in open fields or near the same rivers they drink from. Dirty water and lack of a toilet and proper hygiene kill 3.3 million people around the world annually, most of them children under age five. Here in southern Ethiopia, and in northern Kenya, a lack of rain over the past few years has made even dirty water elusive.

• #1,824
Astronuc said:
If the millions of women who haul water long distances had a faucet by their door, whole societies could be transformed.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/04/water-slaves/johnson-photography

The Burden of Thirst
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/04/water-slaves/rosenberg-text

This reminds me of the time I got an infraction, and Evo said I was right, and I told her she was wrong.

It was a few years ago, so please:

Think! Before you argue about the ease of growing tomatoes...

• #1,825
Is it really the tenth day of the tenth month of this year?

Where has this year gone?

• #1,826
AlephZero said:
Shouldn't that be Darwina?

(And you could then name another daughter Darloosa...)

uhhhh... down with the patriarch!

• #1,827
:-p Happy Friday everyone!

• #1,828
Not yet, it'll be a long Friday for me [STRIKE]tomorrow[/STRIKE] today. T_T

• #1,829
Ruminate on this:

The words "vaccination" and "vaccine" come from the Latin word "vacca" which means cow.

• #1,830
zoobyshoe said:
Ruminate on this:

The words "vaccination" and "vaccine" come from the Latin word "vacca" which means cow.
Although I haven't researched the etymology of this word, and I'm totally guessing at this point, it might have to do with smallpox. The vaccination for smallpox* was to intentionally expose the human subject to cowpox: a virus not dangerous to humans, but one that would make the subject immune to smallpox. Cowpox was a similar virus that was quite dangerous to cows.

*(the full story behind this is pretty freaking freaky, historically speaking, but worth the research in my opinion, none-the-less.)

• #1,831
I hate it when I say something smart and find out that someone already had posted the same minutes before me...
Anyway, the story
In May 1796, Edward Jenner found a young dairymaid, Sarah Nelms, who had fresh cowpox lesions on her hands and arms (Figure ​(Figure33). On May 14, 1796, using matter from Nelms' lesions, he inoculated an 8-year-old boy, James Phipps. Subsequently, the boy developed mild fever and discomfort in the axillae. Nine days after the procedure he felt cold and had lost his appetite, but on the next day he was much better. In July 1796, Jenner inoculated the boy again, this time with matter from a fresh smallpox lesion. No disease developed, and Jenner concluded that protection was complete ...
... The Latin word for cow is vacca, and cowpox is vaccinia; Jenner decided to call this new procedure vaccination...
*ED-Someone got there before Jenner, Benjamin Jesty
wiki said:
esty and two of his female servants, Ann Notley and Mary Reade, had been infected with cowpox. When an epidemic of smallpox came to Yetminster in 1774, Jesty decided to try to give his wife Elizabeth and two eldest sons immunity by infecting them with cowpox. He took his family to a cow at a farm in nearby Chetnole that had the disease, and using a darning needle, transferred pustular material from the cow by scratching their arms. The boys had mild local reactions and quickly recovered but his wife's arm became very inflamed and for a time her condition gave cause for concern, although she too recovered fully in time.Blue plaque commemorating Jesty's pioneering work at Upbury Farm at Yetminster.
Jesty's experiment was met with hostility by his neighbours. He was labelled inhuman, and was "hooted at, reviled and pelted whenever he attended markets in the neighbourhood’". The introduction of an animal disease into a human body was thought disgusting and some even "feared their metamorphosis into horned beasts". But the treatment's efficacy was several times demonstrated in the years which followed, when Jesty's two elder sons, exposed to smallpox, failed to catch the disease
-Just to prove to myself that I'm not completely redundant...

Last edited:
  • #1,832
So you want to be an astronaut?

“I think returning from space is a huge struggle for astronauts,” says Bondar. There have been cases where astronauts have fainted during press conferences because they had not recovered sufficiently. “Down here on the ground,” explains Bondar, “we need about five liters [of water] running around in our intravascular volume. In space flight, we pee out about two of those liters in the first 24 hours because the fluids float up to the heart.” The heart dilates, which sends a signal to the kidneys to urinate out the extra fluids. “This fluid volume is replaced with water and salt tablets during re-entry to keep the blood volume up,” she says.
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/10/09/real-life-astronaut-weighs-in-on-gravity/

• #1,833
I love classical music and The King's Singers!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,837
sign me up

o:)
Dissociative recombination
:rolleyes:

• #1,838
collinsmark said:
*(the full story behind this is pretty freaking freaky, historically speaking, but worth the research in my opinion, none-the-less.)
Yes, I'm reading a book called, "The Demon in the Freezer" which is all about the variola virus.
Enigman said:
*ED-Someone got there before Jenner, Benjamin Jesty
That's interesting, I had not heard about Benjamin Jesty.

• #1,839
Prenatal yoga with my wife/tadpole tonight.

• #1,840
Prenatal yoga sounds... ambiguous :devil:

• #1,841
It was great. My wife and her tadpole seemed to enjoy it, and my hips are nice and open as well. Those postures are good for anyone! I'm in a perpetual state of fascination about this child-construction process.

• #1,842

• #1,843
dkotschessaa said:
It was great. My wife and her tadpole seemed to enjoy it, and my hips are nice and open as well. Those postures are good for anyone! I'm in a perpetual state of fascination about this child-construction process.

I know! I mean, growing a person, wow. Isn't it a bizarre and wonderful thing?

• #1,844
Wait until you see it reasoning logically when a couple of years earlier it didn't even know how to feed itself. How do we all do it?

• #1,845
dkotschessaa said:
... my hips are nice and open as well. ...

:confused:

Maybe it's my age, but prenatal yoga sounds like hip replacement surgery.

• #1,846
That wasn't the sticky I was expecting...

• #1,847
I can't figure out what is going on

• #1,848
lisab said:
I know! I mean, growing a person, wow. Isn't it a bizarre and wonderful thing?

Yes. My wife's been tired all day and spent a lot of time on the couch. She says "I haven't done anything all day!" I said, " Yeah, except, you know... MAKE A HUMAN!"

I mean sheesh.

I sure as hell can't make humans.

(apparently ours is made out of french bread).

-Dave K

• #1,849
My mailman, didn't bat an eye, as I filled two coffee container lids, and an ashtray, with cat food, on the roof of one of my derelict automobiles.

mailman.didnt.bat.an.eye.jpg

I must live in a strange place.

• #1,850
i-vsILeJ8_8[/youtube] Be honest - ...to watch this movie after seeing the trailer?

• #1,851
Borek said:
i-vsILeJ8_8[/youtube] Be honest ...I laughed. And by that I mean uncontrollably.

• #1,852
Reminds me of the trailer for Time Bandits, the best movie the Monty Python guys made, better than "The Holy Grail".

Why is my DVD missing? Wait, Holy Grail is also missing! Darn kids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd4DBq8a2y0

• #1,853
Borek said:
i-vsILeJ8_8[/youtube] Be honest ...he trailer?[/QUOTE] That was a lifetime ago.

• #1,854
Evo said:
Reminds me of the trailer for Time Bandits, the best movie the Monty Python guys made, better than "The Holy Grail".

Why is my DVD missing? Wait, Holy Grail is also missing! Darn kids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd4DBq8a2y0

Both great movies, but I think Life of Brian is probably the most genius.

• #1,855
Speaking of trailers, today traffic was backed up on the freeway because a car towing a boat on a trailer had overturned somehow. The car and trailer were upside down, and the boat was down the road a ways, having broken loose from the trailer. People tow boats quite a bit here, but this is the first such accident I've seen.