Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,926
Has anyone noticed how expensive road bikes are these days.

I was looking at one retail store, and the least expensive road bike was ~$750, otherwise the prices ranged from $900 to $1850. I went to a specialty shop where the majority of bicycles were in excess of $1000, with several in the $2000 to $3000 range.

I remember selling bikes for $90 to $200, and a $200 bike was pretty fancy. Of course, that was about 40 years ago.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,927
Astronuc said:

I was looking at one retail store, and the least expensive road bike was ~$750, otherwise the prices ranged from $900 to $1850. I went to a specialty shop where the majority of bicycles were in excess of $1000, with several in the $2000 to $3000 range.

I remember selling bikes for $90 to $200, and a $200 bike was pretty fancy. Of course, that was about 40 years ago.

Got mine for $80 at Walmart, but seeing as it's walmart, it's probably made from the fillings of 1000 children.

We got my wife a nice one at a local pawn shop though, for $100 or so.

Most of the specialty shops are ridiculous...or are they? Maybe their prices are reasonable but we are spoiled by mass corporations who undersell?

-Dave K

• #1,928
Astronuc said:

Inflation accounts for a factor of about 5 over 40 years, according to http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

So $750 today = $150 back then. Not much change, in real terms.

• #1,929
Back when I was a young teenager, I thought I was doing well to make 25 cents/hour building and repairing bicycles. I would have had to work 400 hrs for an inexpensive bicycle, or about 800 hrs for a good one.

• #1,930
No chat today?

• #1,931
I brought a knife to a gun fight...didn't end well...time to C4 them up...I love CS.

• #1,932
Astronuc said:
Back when I was a young teenager, I thought I was doing well to make 25 cents/hour building and repairing bicycles.

You lose track of the long term effects of inflation. When I was at school (above the legal drinking age in the UK) we had a temporary boycott of the town's pubs when the last one put up its beer prices to ... 2 shillings a pint. That's 10p in post-decimal UK currency, or 16 cents at the current pound/dollar exchange rate.

The wages for my first full-time job were just under £10 a week (about $16). And after paying the rent, that left more money than I knew what to do with!

• #1,933
Astronuc said:
Back when I was a young teenager, I thought I was doing well to make 25 cents/hour building and repairing bicycles. I would have had to work 400 hrs for an inexpensive bicycle, or about 800 hrs for a good one.

I had a bike repair shop once. I think I was about 8 years old. My best friend and I put a sign pointing to my cellar advertising repairs. My friends would come and we'd "fix" stuff, which usually meant inflating tires, until the day we inflated one so much it popped, and we had to close the shop. I think the whole venture lasted about 3 days.

-Dave K

• #1,934
A neighbor has apparently flipped out, and headed down into the woods with a gun and his wife called the cops. All the vehicles at that house are gone, except one belonging to a sheriff's deputy, and he is warning people away. Not good.

• #1,935
turbo said:
A neighbor has apparently flipped out, and headed down into the woods with a gun and his wife called the cops. All the vehicles at that house are gone, except one belonging to a sheriff's deputy, and he is warning people away. Not good.

Yikes. What's the advice for you? Don't leave the house? Go away?

• #1,936
I paid $400 for my Peugeot bicycle back in 1979. According to Aleph's inflation calculator, that's equivalent to $1300 today.

I loved that bike. It took me on many a grand adventure. My friend and I once bicycled from Orlando to Cocoa Beach one sunny weekend. 120 mile round trip.

I'd always been an avid cyclist, from a very young age. My mother was flabbergasted one day, when I called her up and asked for a ride home, as my tire had gone flat. I was 10 years old, and 15 miles from home.

hmmm... Do children still do that?

I must be getting old, as this is bringing back way too many memories.

I was quite jealous of my older siblings, as they had cars and access to boats, and could travel to exotic islands. So my friend and I would ride our bikes to the river, paddle across the river in inner-tubes, and visit with them. I see now, on Google Earth, that it was a 1/2 mile from shore to the island. I was probably about 12 by then.

hmmm... Whatever happened to inner-tubes?

I won't share my 100 other memories of bicycles, as I appear to be rambling... :redface:

• #1,937
I'm pretty sure kids don't bike like that anymore, or go that far from home at all without supervision. On one hand I understand, but they are missing something.

But hey, you grow up and you just get a bike again and you go.

I'm having much more fun as an adult than I did as a kid, because now I do very may of the same things, but I know how to do them right.

• #1,938
dkotschessaa said:
I had a bike repair shop once. I think I was about 8 years old. My best friend and I put a sign pointing to my cellar advertising repairs. My friends would come and we'd "fix" stuff, which usually meant inflating tires, until the day we inflated one so much it popped, and we had to close the shop. I think the whole venture lasted about 3 days.

-Dave K

I love bicycle stories.

Bicycles were mentioned in my very first PF thread.

Does anyone remember Chroot?

pf.Chroot.2013.03.27.jpg

• #1,939
Weird, I got this email:
title: (no subject)
This message has no content

• #1,940
Supposing that I am offered 2 jobs, one as a Project leader and one as a Senior developer given that both would pay me the same amount of money each month, I don't know which one would be better for me at all.

• #1,941
What are the responsibilities of each job, and what are the possible upgrade paths from each? Titles mean little or nothing.

• #1,942
Neighbor is still on the loose. Apparently, he is angling for a "death-by-cop" situation, based on last night's scanner traffic.

Doors are locked (too odd!) and the dogs and I are hanging out.

Last edited:
  • #1,943
turbo said:
Neighbor is still on the loose. Apparently, he is angling for a "death-by-cop" situation, based on last night's scanner traffic.

Doors are locked (too odd!) and the dogs and I are hanging out.

Hope you yourself are not in any danger!

• #1,944
This morning I made my wife oatmeal (groats, the good stuff), a fried egg, a quarter of a large avocado, and toast on the side. She said "I'm still hungry" *while* she was eating. I said "You're at least supposed to wait until you're finished eating to say that..."

She's pretty much eating on the hobbit schedule, (Breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper) plus a few more meals at night. We just leave snacks by the bed.

We bought her first maternity clothes yesterday. She looks great. :)

-Dave K

• #1,945
dkotschessaa said:
Hope you yourself are not in any danger!
I don't think so, unless he hopes to play the "death by neighbor" card. Everybody around here has guns, so he can't just pull off a home invasion with no repercussions. I'd rather that none of us neighbors have to get involved in this, though.

• #1,946
turbo said:
I don't think so, unless he hopes to play the "death by neighbor" card. Everybody around here has guns, so he can't just pull off a home invasion with no repercussions. I'd rather that none of us neighbors have to get involved in this, though.

I'm surprised law enforcement doesn't yet have better methods/technology for dealing with situations like this. (Like, Idunno, sleeping gas or something involving sound). Sometimes I feel like we're in such primitive times.

• #1,947
dkotschessaa said:
This morning I made my wife oatmeal (groats, the good stuff), a fried egg, a quarter of a large avocado, and toast on the side. She said "I'm still hungry" *while* she was eating. I said "You're at least supposed to wait until you're finished eating to say that..."

She's pretty much eating on the hobbit schedule, (Breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper) plus a few more meals at night. We just leave snacks by the bed.

-Dave K

Is there a due date yet?

• #1,948
dkotschessaa said:

-Dave K
Make sure she talks to her obstetrician about weight gain, it's not healthy for the mother or baby for the mother to gain too much. I'll share an old saying I heard "yes, you're eating for two, but one of you is the size of a golfball". Although women differ, I didn't start to show until my fifth month, which seems common, and only gained the 24 pounds that my doctor recommended for my height and frame. If you consider the size of the fetus and uterus prior to the 5th month, they most likely will not be large enough to make a woman show unless she's just gaining weight unrelated to the baby, again, I'll insert the disclaimer "can vary". A lot of women go crazy when they get pregnant, believing all of the myths and old wives tales and actually talk themselves into believing that stuff. Hope she has a happy, healthy, and safe pregnancy. :smile:

This is a cute "tracker" of baby size and weight.

Week 14

Baby's Length: 3.25-4 in.

Baby's Weight: 1-1.50 oz.

Baby's Size: Peach

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/st...-big-is-your-baby-in-second-trimester/#page=1

Last edited:
  • #1,949
Evo said:
Make sure she talks to her obstetrician about weight gain, it's not healthy for the mother or baby for the mother to gain too much. I'll share an old saying I heard "yes, you're eating for two, but one of you is the size of a golfball". Although women differ, I didn't start to show until my fifth month, which seems common, and only gained the 24 pounds that my doctor recommended for my height and frame. A lot of women go crazy when they get pregnant, believing all of the myths and old wives tales and actually talk themselves into believing that stuff. Hope she has a happy, healthy, and safe pregnancy. :smile:

I told her from the outset to remember she is married to a skeptic, so I will not be subscribing to any unsubstantiated folk wisdom when it comes to our child. So when we started hearing "let her eat whatever she craves because it's her body telling her," we corrected that somewhat to "Yes but there may be healthier alternatives to what she is craving. (i.e. whole grain bread with butter instead of french bread with fake spread.)

It's been beautiful. :)

-Dave K

• #1,950
dkotschessaa said:
I told her from the outset to remember she is married to a skeptic, so I will not be subscribing to any unsubstantiated folk wisdom when it comes to our child. So when we started hearing "let her eat whatever she craves because it's her body telling her," we corrected that somewhat to "Yes but there may be healthier alternatives to what she is craving. (i.e. whole grain bread with butter instead of french bread with fake spread.)

It's been beautiful. :)

-Dave K
The breakfast you made her not only sounds delicious, but is healthy and balanced (I've been learning way too much about food and nutrition lately due to illness).

• #1,951
turbo said:
The neighbor was picked up today around 2pm and was hauled off in an ambulance. According to another neighbor, the guy took a whole bunch of painkillers left over from his knee surgery, and freaked out.

• #1,952
lisab said:
Is there a due date yet?

No worries, we're here waiting for pics whenever the baby sees the light. :)

• #1,953
I bought berry fruit bars today for the first time since my baby, The Fruit Bat, passed away unexpectedly last May. :cry: He LOVED those fruit bars.

• #1,954
lisab said:
Is there a due date yet?

June-ish.

People keep asking if we want to know the sex early or not. I keep saying "What is the point?" Like yeah, let's start pigeonholing as soon as possible, eh?

If it's a boy, I'm going to do my best to train him to be a super music/math/science/book/yoga/foodie nerd. If it's a girl, I'm going to do my best to train her to be a super music/math/science/book/yoga/foodie nerd. Just like his/her awesome parents.

end rant

Anyway, I don't have a kid yet and I clearly know everything. So there.

-Dave K

• #1,955
turbo said:
The neighbor was picked up today around 2pm and was hauled off in an ambulance. According to another neighbor, the guy took a whole bunch of painkillers left over from his knee surgery, and freaked out.

Whew!

• #1,956
I'm glad that he is out of the picture for now. The cops were ramping things up again today. He's lucky that he's not dead. The cops had a couple of tricked-out Hum-Vs there this morning. Got troopers in camo with flak-vests and carrying automatic weapons? Check, check, check. At least he can be evaluated now and not autopsied...

• #1,957
dkotschessaa said:
People keep asking if we want to know the sex early or not.
According to my father in law, you count up the letters in the parents' names. If the total is odd, the firstborn will be a boy; even means a girl.

In response to my wife's incredulous look, he commented that they did not have television in the village where he grew up...

(Irritatingly, his method worked with my son.)

• #1,958
Evo said:
I bought berry fruit bars today for the first time since my baby, The Fruit Bat, passed away unexpectedly last May. :cry: He LOVED those fruit bars.
:cry: I miss The Fruit Bat too (going by the pictures and descriptions).

• #1,959
collinsmark said:
:cry: I miss The Fruit Bat too (going by the pictures and descriptions).
Thank you! {{{hugs}}} :cry:

• #1,960
Ibix said:
According to my father in law, you count up the letters in the parents' names. If the total is odd, the firstborn will be a boy; even means a girl.

In response to my wife's incredulous look, he commented that they did not have television in the village where he grew up...

(Irritatingly, his method worked with my son.)

I like your father in law.