Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,961
Got my flu shot today, a bit later than normal, but hopefully not too late.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,962
dkotschessaa said:
June-ish.

People keep asking if we want to know the sex early or not. I keep saying "What is the point?" Like yeah, let's start pigeonholing as soon as possible, eh?

If it's a boy, I'm going to do my best to train him to be a super music/math/science/book/yoga/foodie nerd. If it's a girl, I'm going to do my best to train her to be a super music/math/science/book/yoga/foodie nerd. Just like his/her awesome parents.

end rant

Anyway, I don't have a kid yet and I clearly know everything. So there.

-Dave K

YES! I didn't want to know the gender either, I wanted to be surprised. I didn't get the ultrasound early on, because I didn't want the whole process to be so "medicalized". I figured, this has been done, what - 10 billion times? The vast, vast majority did not have ultrasounds, and everything turned out fine most of the time.

But it's not like I gave birth under a tree with a witch doctor :biggrin:. I used a midwife, but gave birth in a hospital.

• #1,963
Evo said:
Got my flu shot today, a bit later than normal, but hopefully not too late.

This year the shot gave me a slight fever the night I got it. I hope that means my immune system is in butt-kick mode now :devil:.

• #1,964
lisab said:
This year the shot gave me a slight fever the night I got it. I hope that means my immune system is in butt-kick mode now :devil:.
Thanks, I'll be prepared. Oddly, I've been getting flu shots forever and never even a sore spot, but shortly after the one today, my arm was sore enough for me to take an ibuprofen, I wonder what's different this year (or am I just getting old?).

• #1,965
lisab said:
YES! I didn't want to know the gender either, I wanted to be surprised. I didn't get the ultrasound early on, because I didn't want the whole process to be so "medicalized". I figured, this has been done, what - 10 billion times? The vast, vast majority did not have ultrasounds, and everything turned out fine most of the time.

But it's not like I gave birth under a tree with a witch doctor :biggrin:. I used a midwife, but gave birth in a hospital.

My grandmother was born in a barn, and the lack of presence of any descriptive time-devices ensured that her birthday will forever be unknown. For a time, she and her family believed she was born on, say the 20th, whereas her official birth certificate claimed the 21st. I think she just celebrates on whichever day seems better that year.

• #1,966
In my home, if we have some money and would like to celebrate someone's birthday we just go ahead and do it. That means the person being congratulated his/her birthday is not celebrating his/her birthday to entertain people around. It's nice to know "who celebrates what for who", I may be in a wrong sense to make this statement and am sorry about it if it is so.
By the way, if you love your (grand)mother, make any day be her birthday, for a good memories of relatives and close relationships. I find little olden good memories last best.

• #1,967
inotyce said:
In my home, if we have some money and would like to celebrate someone's birthday we just go ahead and do it. That means the person being congratulated his/her birthday is not celebrating his/her birthday to entertain people around. It's nice to know "who celebrates what for who", I may be in a wrong sense to make this statement and am sorry about it if it is so.
By the way, if you love your (grand)mother, make any day be her birthday, for a good memories of relatives and close relationships. I find little olden good memories last best.

My grandmother is an exceptionally sweet and hard-working woman, but I find it difficult to form a bond with someone whom I see maybe three times a year. I'm the same way with most of my cousins and other relatives; I'll get along with whomever I'm naturally inclined towards, regardless of the closeness of our genes.

Although this has made me a little curious as to how I'll react upon learning that a non-immediate family member (not my sister, not my dad, and not my mom) has died. My mind tells me indifference, but I feel as though I've been conditioned to feel otherwise. This is coming from someone who has yet to experience the death of a loved one, be they a friend, family member, anything. It's a bit sickening to know that, at this virgin state of my life, I'm faced with the certainty that either a loved one dies and I suffer, or I die and a loved one suffers.

• #1,968
AnTiFreeze3 said:
My grandmother is an exceptionally sweet and hard-working woman, but I find it difficult to form a bond with someone whom I see maybe three times a year. I'm the same way with most of my cousins and other relatives; I'll get along with whomever I'm naturally inclined towards, regardless of the closeness of our genes.
I never consider trust path finding is important to lead my life through any hardships. Things move around come around. I find myself also in love with what I define as myths even in a relationship and I expect open mindedness to get rid of barriers in debates and communication however serious they might be. What I expect may miserably violate rules set to build up the power hierarchy that is instituted with young managers while they keep self-claiming "that" is supposed to be professional. I have been educated in a system that is far more well-structured and sociable than what a tiny group of people can just offer and actually be.

Although this has made me a little curious as to how I'll react upon learning that a non-immediate family member (not my sister, not my dad, and not my mom) has died. My mind tells me indifference, but I feel as though I've been conditioned to feel otherwise. This is coming from someone who has yet to experience the death of a loved one, be they a friend, family member, anything. It's a bit sickening to know that, at this virgin state of my life, I'm faced with the certainty that either a loved one dies and I suffer, or I die and a loved one suffers.
I think you are free to imagine further from what comes to mind. I am emotional, and self-absorbed man, I find that I am then more relaxed to share with people what and how I feel as soon as something gets on my nerve or caught in sight. I don't care whether or not it will be the guns and bullets people use to point at me later. But my emotion generally does not get too high because I know when and where I am in the mood, so I rarely or almost never get sickened by whatever else comes. Sometimes I just feel like crying for a dead dog thinking that my dog may probably die one day of the same cause. Everyday I have my relatives cook my meals but one day I would miss them a lot if I no longer see them around.

• #1,969
lisab said:

We are using a midwife as well, but in a birthing center. Probably a water birth, and using the bradley method. Lots of pre-natal yoga, etc. They can transfer to a hospital if needed, but it happens less than 5% of the time. The whole 50 blood tests and 20 ultrasounds and everything seems very stressful to us. As my wife keeps saying "I'm pregnant, not sick."

-Dave K

• #1,970
One thing that's fun about being an adult in school is seeing the kids "stand for something." It's so...cute... This is from a facebook page they created about textbooks.

"(1) We want to take down the textbook publishing industry. (2) We want to replace it with an open-source system. (4) Textbooks and pharmaceutical meds have one thing in common: their manufacturers market their products to someone other than the person who actually has to pay for it. (5) The publishing industry no longer has a product to sell, because modern technology (the Internet, wiki structures, etc) can better facilitate the relationship between content authors, editors, professors and students. (6) According to the capitalist narrative, a better system or product should compete and win against an incumbent piece of crap. This hasn't happened though, due to the position of the textbook publishers in what we now call /the academic-industrial complex/. (7) Therefore, we must overthrow the incumbents, and we will attempt to do so having learned from the success' of the hacker ethos against the recording industry. (8) We will hold teach-ins in front of our campus for-profit bookstore and share knowledge about where to find free textbooks online. (9) We aim for maximum financial impact against the publishing industry and maximum political impact among the University administration and faculty. This will force the complicit parties to declare which side they want to stand on."

• #1,971
dkotschessaa said:
We are using a midwife as well, but in a birthing center. Probably a water birth, and using the bradley method. Lots of pre-natal yoga, etc. They can transfer to a hospital if needed, but it happens less than 5% of the time. The whole 50 blood tests and 20 ultrasounds and everything seems very stressful to us. As my wife keeps saying "I'm pregnant, not sick."

-Dave K
:eek: Wow. Well, your decision, of course. I am into traditional medical care, and thank goodness. Everything in my first pregnancy was completely normal, up until I went into labor. I won't go into the details, but with the blood loss due to hemorrhaging during labor, the baby not turning and was born face up and almost drowned, she had to be rushed into the ICU and I didn't even see her the first day, which was ok, because after 42 hours of the most horrendous pain beyond anything I could have ever imagined (since she hadn't turned, her spine was pressed against my spine), I was not in any condition to hold a baby. It was six months before nerves healed enough that I got any feeling back in my left thigh, it was completely numb from nerve damage. I gave birth naturally thanks to the epidurals to stop pain, without them I would not have had the strength to have pushed her out naturally.

As a result of her almost dying when born from near drowning, we lived with a nasal aspirator for 2 years, it was named the "snoogie".

When it comes to something that can go so wrong with no notice and risk my life and the life of my baby, for me, that's not the time to turn my back on the latest medical care.

I had a private "cottage style" birth room that was just adorable, the hospital had a new maternity wing with an incredible private suite for each mother that did not look like you were in a hospital. There was a regular bed for my husband, mine was flooded with blood running off onto the floor.

If we hadn't been in a major hospital with an ICU for babies that got her immediately from the delivery room, she could have died or suffered brain damage had there been a delay.

Last edited:
  • #1,972
Evo said:
Thanks, I'll be prepared. Oddly, I've been getting flu shots forever and never even a sore spot, but shortly after the one today, my arm was sore enough for me to take an ibuprofen, I wonder what's different this year (or am I just getting old?).
Older than dirt people like me get the double-dose shots. Did you just get old maybe? :rolleyes:

• #1,973
dlgoff said:
Older than dirt people like me get the double-dose shots. Did you just get old maybe? :rolleyes:
Ack, they're double-dosing us old ones? I should've gotten TWO lollipops instead of one!

• #1,974
Evo said:
Ack, they're double-dosing us old ones? I should've gotten TWO lollipops instead of one!
I'm starting to understand that old people "childish" thing. At least you got one. :cry:

• #1,975
I just added on my phone watches of time in London, Toronto, Melbourne and Bangkok to monitor when my chat mates are online

• #1,976
I go out of my way to opt out of any type of marketing with every company that I deal with. Apparently one of them believes that it was still OK to pass my name, birthday and phone number to a company that calls you to wish you a Happy Birthday. I understand the gesture but my preferences should come first. Now a company that I have never dealt with has a database entry that associates my phone number with my name and birthday. I wonder who they will sell that information to or how long it will be before their database gets hacked? <sigh>

• #1,977
another night of frustratingly little sleep. That means i work on humanities rather than math classes today. snore

• #1,978
dkotschessaa said:
another night of frustratingly little sleep

You will learn what "little sleep" means in the next few months :-p

• #1,979
If the data is in the table, is it it tabulated or tabularized? Like in "use tabulated/tabularized data to solve the problem"?

• #1,980
Borek said:
If the data is in the table, is it it tabulated or tabularized? Like in "use tabulated/tabularized data to solve the problem"?
I think it's "tabulated."

I say that in part because this is the first I've heard the word "tabularized." However, "tabulated" data is pretty common.

• #1,981
Loooooooooonnng day...

• #1,982
Borek said:

I'd avoid it by using 'use the data in a tabular form to solve the problem'. Which I think is correct however I'm doubting now.

• #1,983
Borek said:
You will learn what "little sleep" means in the next few months :-p

Yeah, I'm practicing now.

• #1,986
dlgoff said:
So what the heck is it supposed to be? I've given my tithe to PF. :wink:
I would guess it's an affliction which causes excessive tithing. :-p

• #1,987
Evo said:
I would guess it's an affliction which causes excessive tithing. :-p
:smile:

You :devil:

• #1,988
Doesn't it cause you to give 10% of your viruses to the church?

• #1,989
1. A card dealer cheated on me to register his company credit card He told me it was free but now he says I have to spend $$$ for the first few times within xxx months before it becomes free of charge. My decision is never activate it then.
2. I had a small talk with several members in my lab and I realize my lab policy has recently become quite like a cancerous lump, which sufferers had to endure the whole last month before they passed away.
It's *pass away*, I am respecting myself too, as I am one of them.

Last edited:
  • #1,990
Sooo...I need to plan a murder and doing so I have to maximize emotional trauma on a 12 yr old...May be if I found an equation I could differentiate it to find the stationary points on the curve...
Hmmm...might need to increase the age of the kid for it to work out...
Okay, now I need to focus Probability and stats... and not murders...stop procrastinating E!

• #1,991
Flying up north (to PA from FL) to see my dad in the hospital. They still haven't diagnosed him. He's having hallucinations and nightmares and can't speak. This is rotten.

• #1,992
dkotschessaa said:
Flying up north (to PA from FL) to see my dad in the hospital. They still haven't diagnosed him. He's having hallucinations and nightmares and can't speak. This is rotten.

:frown:

• #1,995
pyzicslolito said:
Is Norway a developed country ?

Very.