Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,996
dkotschessaa said:
Flying up north (to PA from FL) to see my dad in the hospital. They still haven't diagnosed him. He's having hallucinations and nightmares and can't speak. This is rotten.
Oh no. So sorry to hear this, I hope your father recovers soon.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,998
dkotschessaa said:
Such a different attitude towards its citizens than we have. I can imagine proposing something like this in the U.S. People would complain about having to share the sunshine.

Or worse they would complain the reflection is too bright or it melts the snow, dries out my plants and gives me a sunburn in the shade...

• #2,000
jedishrfu said:
Or worse they would complain the reflection is too bright or it melts the snow, dries out my plants and gives me a sunburn in the shade...

Like...the SUN? :)

• #2,001
I am happy to learn a new word today. It is "flat hierarchy". Like! Anyone knows the disadvantages of such systems ? ?Esp from a laborer's stand? :)

• #2,002
When 11-year-old Peyton Robertson saw the devastation caused by Superstorm Sandy, he knew he had to help. But instead of volunteering or donating money, he decided to invent something -- a new type of sandbag that can help prevent saltwater flooding in future storms and disasters.

The difference is that his sandbags don’t actually contain any sand. Peyton explains that traditional sandbags are heavy, difficult to move and leave cracks where water can enter. Instead, he fills the bags with a mixture of polymer and salt.

“I used polymer because when you add it to water it expands,” Peyton explains.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/beyond-the-headline-abc-news/young-scientist-invents-sandbag-better-protect-against-flooding-223645741.html?vp=1

So what have you been doing lately?

• #2,003
Astronuc said:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/beyond-the-headline-abc-news/young-scientist-invents-sandbag-better-protect-against-flooding-223645741.html?vp=1

So what have you been doing lately?

On Saturday, I did laundry.
On Sunday, I went to the river, drank beer, and tossed a tennis ball for my friend's dog.
Other than that, I've been going to work.

I don't think I'll have time to work on my patents until I retire.
They should cut foreign oil imports by 3/4, cut world coal consumption in half, employ 16 million Americans, and reduce global CO2 levels substantially.

I think I will enjoy being retired, and finally be able to get some useful work done.
:smile:

• #2,004
I'm sitting with a radiologic tech, his spouse, and a few other people. We are discussing; "who knows how MRI's work?".

Life is good when you are surrounded by intelligent people.

Being surrounded by laughing, silly, and temporarily semi-intelligent people, makes life even better.

• #2,005
This woman, Jo, is 58 years old and has 7 grandchildren, she is the ex-wife of Rolling Stones member Ronnie Wood.

article-2375091-1AF34ACF000005DC-439_306x448.jpg

Jo in 2013 http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/23/article-2375091-1AF34ACF000005DC-439_306x448.jpg

Ronnie Wood http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...jpg/220px-Ron_Wood_2011_in_Sydney_cropped.jpg

I've been watching the show and she is just the sweetest, most likeable person, and so cute!

Last edited:
  • #2,006
OmCheeto said:
I'm sitting with a radiologic tech, his spouse, and a few other people. We are discussing; "who knows how MRI's work?".
My wife explained to her mother that the MRI machine was a souped up version of the nuclear magnetic resonance machines she used in the lab. The nurse turned to her and said severely that they "don't use the N-word in this hospital". :D

• #2,007
I am probably the only person dumb enough to manage spraining a rib while asleep.

Last edited:
  • #2,008
Enigman said:
I am probably the only person dumb enough to manage spraining a rib while asleep.

Did you fall out of bed?

• #2,009
AnTiFreeze3 said:
Did you fall out of bed?

No idea. The last thing I remember before waking up and noticing the injury was Rowling flying on a broom and crying 'the brother did it'. A contention which I very much doubt...

• #2,010
I'm about to hook up my latest science experiment.
If you don't hear back from me in the next 24 hours, please tell my family and friends, that I loved them.

Thank you,

Om

---------------------------
ps. fish have very small brains.

• #2,011
OmCheeto said:
I'm about to hook up my latest science experiment.
If you don't hear back from me in the next 24 hours, please tell my family and friends, that I loved them.

Thank you,

Om

---------------------------
ps. fish have very small brains.

I wonder if I should go into my bomb shelter...:eek:

Meanwhile I just planted 4 kinds of garlic, almost 150 cloves...whew.

Romanian Red, Korean Mountain, Inchelium Red, and Silver White.

• #2,012

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,013
lisab said:
I wonder if I should go into my bomb shelter...:eek:

Meanwhile I just planted 4 kinds of garlic, almost 150 cloves...whew.

Romanian Red, Korean Mountain, Inchelium Red, and Silver White.

survived...

ps. I have elephants, if you are looking for more species. :smile:

• #2,014
Just listened to the Ride of the Valkyries and Devil's Trill back to back...
The effect was sublime...
Nice change after the neighbourhood cacophony.

• #2,015
I've been hanging out with my friend EDGAR. He's full of information but you have to know how to ask the right questions.

• #2,016
Borg said:
I've been hanging out with my friend EDGAR. He's full of information but you have to know how to ask the right questions.

There he is! I was looking for Edgar since the beginning of this month, until around the 16th or so, when I just gave up on him. It's good to see that he's up and running again.

• #2,017
The topology of my right sock has changed. It is now a torus.

• #2,018
Mmm... torus

Hmm. With a sufficiently sharp knife you could construct two linked, holey socks from your one sock.

• #2,019
http://phys.org/news/2013-10-monkey-purrs-cat-species-amazon.html

• Vegetarian Piranha: This new species of piranha, Tometes camunani, can span 20 inches wide and weigh up to 9 pounds, and is strictly herbivorous. The freshwater fish inhabits rocky rapids associated with seedlings of plants that grow among the rocks, its main source of food. Tometes is described from the upper drainages of the Trombetas River basin, Para, Brazilian Amazon.
• A brightly coloured snake from the "Lost World": Found in the mountains of Guyana, this brightly-colored snake species was named Chironius challenger after Arthur C. Doyle's fictional character Professor George Edward Challenger in the novel, The Lost World. (Mr.E- Yay! \o/)
• Caqueta titi monkey: This new species, Callicebus caquetensis, is one of about 20 species of titi monkey, which all live in the Amazon basin. The babies have an endearing trait, "When they feel very content they purr towards each other," explained scientist Thomas Defle

• #2,020
Misty, our female cat, loves Chobani yogurt, and particularly pineapple. She buried her face in the cup, and wouldn't leave me alone to eat the yogurt.

• #2,021
The local game company changed the flash version and I lose 3/4 of my bets :biggrin:

• #2,023
Borg said:

From the article:

The singer’s top hits, like “Oops! I Did It Again” and “Baby One More Time,” when blasted at approaching Somali raiders, have proved to be the most effective at deterring kidnap attacks, merchant navy officer Rachel Owens revealed, according to the U.K.’s Metro.

“Her songs were chosen by the security team because they thought the pirates would hate them most,” said Second Officer Owens. “These guys can’t stand Western culture or music, making Britney’s hits perfect … It’s so effective the ship’s security rarely needs to resort to firing guns.”

“As soon as the pirates get a blast of Britney, they move on as quickly as they can,” she added, the U.K.’s Mirror reported.​

But wouldn't such tactics work on pretty much anybody?

• #2,024
collinsmark said:
But wouldn't such tactics work on pretty much anybody?
Still, I'll never understand the third world. It's OK to kidnap and murder but you have to run like hell to avoid being influenced by pop music. I'm also having a hard time picturing the 1st Air Cav flying into Somalia playing Hit Me, Baby, One More Time instead of Ride of the Valkyries.

• #2,025
Borg said:
I'm also having a hard time picturing the 1st Air Cav flying into Somalia playing Hit Me, Baby, One More Time instead of Ride of the Valkyries.

Hit Me, Baby still sounds like a better choice than Imagine.

At least assuming you don't fly into the area to give warlords flowers and peace symbols.

• #2,026
Just mixed green tea, coffee, sugar, honey and a small bar of Bournville...
...Now to drink it...

Last edited:
  • #2,027
Enigman said:
Just mixed green tea, coffee, sugar, honey and a small bar of Bournville...
...Now to drink it...

Okay...not as bad as I expected...could do with less sugar though.

• #2,028
Borg said:
Still, I'll never understand the third world. It's OK to kidnap and murder but you have to run like hell to avoid being influenced by pop music. I'm also having a hard time picturing the 1st Air Cav flying into Somalia playing Hit Me, Baby, One More Time instead of Ride of the Valkyries.
Germane:
3092.png

Enigman said:
...could do with less sugar though.
It is a crime to say these words! :-p

• #2,029
Please. ...:( i like an ipad