Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,346
zoobyshoe said:
I don't like David Bowie peddling stuff on TV.

Since I don't watch TV, I had no idea what you were talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpTwgRk2aUU​

I don't buy Louis Blah Blah, so I don't see it as an advertisement.

But thank you for mentioning it. I like it on every level.

Om's ears said:
I'd rather be high, I'd rather flying

I'd rather be dead, or out of my head
than training these guns, on the men in the sand.

I'd rather be high, I'd rather be flying...

At least that's what I heard.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,347
zoobyshoe said:
I don't like David Bowie peddling stuff on TV.

I agree. He is much better out of the TV.

• #2,348
Aladdin the chinese pauper or the assassin lord of Alamut?

• #2,349
Enigman said:
Aladdin the chinese pauper or the assassin lord of Alamut?

In the original arabic versions, the story is nominally set in China, but all the characters have arabic names and behave like Muslims or Jews.

Modern (Disneyfied) versions have mixed up the story with Ali Baba and the 40 thieves, which is probably where Alamut comes in.

Burton's translations of the originals here: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/burt1k1/tale30.htm
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/burt1k1/tale31.htm

That's the same Sir Richard F Burton who discovered the source of the Nile, and disguised himself as an Arab to get into Mecca for the Hajj pilgrimage, among other things. Quite a character, even though he never married Liz Taylor!

• #2,350
AlephZero said:
Modern (Disneyfied) versions have mixed up the story with Ali Baba and the 40 thieves, which is probably where Alamut comes in.

Actually Aladdin Muhammad was the sixth of the Seven Assassins Lords of Alamut during 1200s till around 1250, just before the mongols razed the fortress in 1256.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Nizari_Ismailism#The_Seven_Lords_of_Alamut
The only reference I have ever heard of linking the three stories Aladdin (chinese), Ali Baba and Aladdin of Alamut is from Barbara G. Walker's Women's encyclopaedia of myths and secrets which generally twists everything to suit the author's perspective, trading facts for speculations...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_G._Walker

Right now I am looking for any collaborative and reputable sources about the Assassins and Alamut.
(This is all in lieu of a plot device I have been thinking for a story based during the Crusades.)

Last edited:
  • #2,351
Just curious Enigman, is this material useful for your story? :biggrin:

• #2,352
Gad said:
Just curious Enigman, is this material useful for your story? :biggrin:

Will know when I find it...don't even know if the story is viable right now...

• #2,355
Weall...didn't want to get banned...
OP said:
":)

We wouldn't be complete without this post in the Philosophy forum, would we?"

• #2,356
Enigman said:
Weall...didn't want to get banned...
Using "wanna" will get you banned. :devil:

• #2,357
Evo said:
Using "wanna" will get you banned. :devil:

I never thought I would be getting banned for lack of erudition...you seem to be just asking for all my thees and thous Milady... Then so be it, Shakkerwock* I shall.
(*Shakespearean jabberwock)

• #2,358
Enigman said:
I never thought I would be getting banned for lack of erudition...you seem to be just asking for all my thees and thous Milady... Then so be it, Shakkerwock* I shall.
(*Shakespearean jabberwock)
:-p Berkeman and I are fighting a losing battle to stop slang. A guy I dated once told me that my use of proper English when speaking made me sound Shakespearean, and he didn't mean it as a compliment.

This would be me. "On what did you step?" :redface:

When Can a Sentence End with a Preposition?
Here's an example of a sentence that can end with a preposition: What did you step on? A key point is that the sentence doesn't work if you leave off the preposition. You can't say, “What did you step?” You need to say, “What did you step on?” to make a grammatical sentence.

I can hear some of you gnashing your teeth right now, while you think, “What about saying, 'On what did you step?'” But really, have you ever heard anyone talk that way? I've read long, contorted arguments from noted grammarians about why it's OK to end sentences with prepositions when the preposition isn't extraneous (1), but the driving point still seems to be, “Nobody in their right mind talks this way.” Yes, you could say, “On what did you step?” but not even grammarians think you should. It sounds pedantic.

I've read long arguments about why it's OK to end sentences with prepositions when the preposition isn't extraneous, but the driving point still seems to be “Normal people don't talk that way.”

- See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/ed...tence-with-a-preposition#sthash.SxM7TSQV.dpuf

Back when I was in school, in the last century, speaking like that WAS normal. I think part of it was that my mother, being French, used very proper English when she spoke English. I guess it rubbed off.

Last edited:
  • #2,359
“Nobody in their right mind talks this way.” Yes, you could say, “On what did you step?” but not even grammarians think you should. It sounds pedantic.

I've read long arguments about why it's OK to end sentences with prepositions when the preposition isn't extraneous, but the driving point still seems to be “Normal people don't talk that way.”
Safe then I am.

• #2,360
Enigman said:
Safe then I am.
:biggrin:

Oh dear, I have such a strong urge now to start yet another grammar thread. The use of "should of" instead of "should have". Then someone pointed out that it could be worse, "should of" can be contracted into "shoulda", which leads to "woulda" and "coulda". (shudders)

Lol, this was a cute thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=172163

Last edited:
  • #2,361
Evo said:
This would be me. "On what did you step?" :redface:

Don't you mean "On what steppedst thou?" :devil:

Normal people don't talk that way

There are no normal people here. That's why those that are here, are here.

• #2,362
AlephZero said:
:smile: Yes, much better.

Good point!

• #2,363
No idea what is the subject this discussion is on.

English grammar.. gimme a break.

attachment.php?attachmentid=64566&stc=1&d=1386439203.jpg

Attachments

• 1451586_10152113430117780_1320257566_n.jpg
    1451586_10152113430117780_1320257566_n.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 410
  • #2,364
Borek said:
attachment.php?attachmentid=64566&stc=1&d=1386439203.jpg

The problem is, first the English spoke something similar to Welsh. Then we got invaded by the Saxons, the Romans, and the French. After that we have spent about 1000 years figuring out how to merge four incompatible languages and grammars into one.

And of course our former colonies have invented their own solutions to the problem.

• #2,365
AlephZero said:
The problem is, first the English spoke something similar to Welsh. Then we got invaded by the Saxons, the Romans, and the French. After that we have spent about 1000 years figuring out how to merge four incompatible languages and grammars into one.

And of course our former colonies have invented their own solutions to the problem.

This reminds me of a FB post from the other day:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/1450859_540960849322591_130338161_n.jpg​

Oh dear. I just googled that.

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

:confused:

I think I'll take a nap.

• #2,366
Oh my. It gets worse:

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct sentence in American English...

I should have taken my advice, and taken a nap...

• #2,367
AlephZero said:
After that we have spent about 1000 years figuring out how to merge four incompatible languages and grammars into one.

But the good news was, our language was such a mess that nobody even tried to invade us again (except for the Spanish in 1588 and the Germans in 1945, and nether of them got very far).

• #2,368
AlephZero said:
But the good news was, our language was such a mess that nobody even tried to invade us again (except for the Spanish in 1588 and the Germans in 1945, and nether of them got very far).
Lol.

• #2,369
AlephZero said:

I think she's saying ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which she will not put.

• #2,370
dkotschessaa said:
I think she's saying ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which she will not put.

:thumbs:

• #2,371
AlephZero said:
:smile:

AlephZero said:

You forgot the Vikings and the Danelaw :cry:. My ancestors tried to fix the Roman and Saxon mess, but your ancestors did not listen. And then the French came and really messed it up :-p.

I remember having heard that the word "window" came from Norse, and it seems so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window#Etymology

Wiki said:
The word window originates from the Old Norse 'vindauga', from 'vindr – wind' and 'auga–eye', i.e., wind eye. In Norwegian Nynorsk and Icelandic the Old Norse form has survived to this day (in Icelandic only as a less used synonym to gluggi), in Swedish the word vindöga remains as a term for a hole through the roof of a hut, and in the Danish language 'vindue' and Norwegian Bokmål 'vindu', the direct link to 'eye' is lost, just like for 'window'. The Danish (but not the Bokmål) word is pronounced fairly similarly to window.

Window is first recorded in the early 13th century, and originally referred to an unglazed hole in a roof. Window replaced the Old English eagþyrl, which literally means 'eye-hole,' and 'eagduru' 'eye-door'. Many Germanic languages however adopted the Latin word 'fenestra' to describe a window with glass, such as standard Swedish 'fönster', or German 'Fenster'. The use of window in English is probably because of the Scandinavian influence on the English language by means of loanwords during the Viking Age.

So the English word "window" seems to come from Norse, and the Swedish word "fönster" from Latin. We're all messed up.

Likes 1 person
  • #2,372
(pregnant) wife: I feel bloated and gassy.
Me: Sweety, Jupiter is big ang gassy, and it's the most beautiful planet in the solar system.
wife: Oh sweetie!

I think got this expecting father thing down.-Dave K

[note, the spellings above are correct. I am referred to as Sweetie and she is referred to as Sweety]

• #2,373
OmCheeto said:
Oh my. It gets worse:

I should have taken my advice, and taken a nap...

Posted this to FB and a response from my cousin was:

Is hamandcheese correct?

No you need a space between ham and and and and and cheese. 5 ands in a row!

• #2,374
dkotschessaa said:
(pregnant) wife: I feel bloated and gassy.
Me: Sweety, Jupiter is big ang gassy, and it's the most beautiful planet in the solar system.
wife: Oh sweetie!

Two points:
  1. You just got away with telling your wife that something is more beautiful than her.
  2. Jupiter has got some furious storms.
- I would run before she realizes them.
:devil:

• #2,375
Enigman said:
Two points:
  1. You just got away with telling your wife that something is more beautiful than her.
  2. Jupiter has got some furious storms.
- I would run before she realizes them.
:devil:

Nope, I am very careful. I said it was the most beautiful *planet* Not the most beautiful *thing*.

She would agree with the second point.

Likes 1 person
  • #2,376
EDIT-
Bah humbug... I went to eat my hat and found that the March Hare had already eaten it...there goes my fedora.

Last edited:
  • #2,377
Okay angels have grown bolder and German wisdom is a prime example of... well, german wisdom.

• #2,378
I had a dream that somebody gave me a bunch of ritalin or something. The pills were all very colorful and different shapes.

• #2,379
Enigman said:
Okay angels have grown bolder

Something stinks...

• #2,380
AlephZero said:

Evo said:
Lol.

Come to think of it, when was the last time that any country with English as its first language was invaded?