Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,591
Well god-damn, didn't know people are so serious about college and university over in USA, everytime yous speak of it, I get the feeling like you're all subconsciously speaking of a matter of life and death.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,592
lendav_rott said:
Well god-damn, didn't know people are so serious about college and university over in USA, everytime yous speak of it, I get the feeling like you're all subconsciously speaking of a matter of life and death.
Perhaps because (unlike much of the developed world), college is not publicly funded. Students try to balance costs with potential benefits, and prepare to leave college with some massive debt. It's not a good situation.

I was fortunate to live in a mill-town, so I could work some insane hours on my summer break to save money for college, and when I was at school I bought, repaired and sold guitars and amplifiers. Never took out a loan, so no debt.

• #2,593
Of course one will go through all that if determined enough to go through with it in the first place. The thing I am amazed about is that going to college and university is like a principle rather than a goal. Go to uni just for the fact that you've been there, done that, got the diploma. How many actually go on to study something they know they want to do later?

• #2,594
Back from very long, very expensive road trip up to PA for my Dad's memorial and to see my family. Not much christmas to speak of - most of the money went towards hotels and feeding ourselves with one of us (my wife obviously) being pregnant. Didn't feel like I got much of a break there.

• #2,595
I am excited about classes starting up again though.

• #2,596
Welcome back! I've had "breaks" like that before, that leave me more exhausted than before. I hope things settle down soon.

• #2,597
lisab said:
Welcome back! I've had "breaks" like that before, that leave me more exhausted than before. I hope things settle down soon.

oh they won't. lol.

Semester is like the last one (busy), then graduation, then baby, then grad school. Things should settle down in 35 years or so when I'm 70+ and the baby moves out.

• #2,598
dkotschessaa said:
oh they won't. lol.

Semester is like the last one (busy), then graduation, then baby, then grad school. Things should settle down in 35 years or so when I'm 70+ and the baby moves out.
You are an optimist
dk, :-p

• #2,599
dkotschessaa said:
I am excited about classes starting up again though.
Amen to this. I finally start getting to do some real math this semester. :biggrin:

• #2,600
Someone at work today pointed at my computer monitor, and laughed at how many icons were on it.

I told him that each icon represented a monumental task, that had to be completed, before I retired.

Then, I found a way for the computer to count the number of icons on my monitor.

Then, I discovered, that I had fewer days left to work, than I had icons on it.

I laughed an evil laugh.

:devil:

• #2,601
Yesterday I walked twice as much as usual. Today my feet started cramping up. I almost had to crawl home on all fours.

• #2,602
In other news, the United States has been attacked by what they're calling a "polar vortex." This hasn't affected San Diego temperatures, but there has been a massive volunteer effort mounted here to box up warm air and send it back east.

• #2,603
I just spent 3 hours on 9gag.

• #2,604
dkotschessaa said:
oh they won't. lol.

Hey, atleast you won't be bored for a while. :)

• #2,605
I guess we started a little bit younger and Junior was quite eager to leave the nest, but with some luck things can settle down much earlier.

What about being 50 and free? :biggrin:

• #2,606
When I got 23, my older brother told me, hey, you'll be 30 before you know it. I hope he's wrong :eek:

• #2,607
lendav_rott said:
When I got 23, my older brother told me, hey, you'll be 30 before you know it. I hope he's wrong :eek:

He is wrong. You will be much older and you will still not know when it happened.

• #2,608
How do yous use the latex business? Is it all a code, do you have to memorise all the different strings? I remember last time there was a latex toolbox somewhere, but I can't find it :s

• #2,609
lendav_rott said:
How do yous use the latex business? Is it all a code, do you have to memorise all the different strings? I remember last time there was a latex toolbox somewhere, but I can't find it :s
From the main menu:

PF Lounge
Forum Feedback & Announcements
Physics Forums FAQ and HowTo
How to Type Mathematical Equations

I don't see anything called a "toolbox", but they do have a "sandbox".

Last edited:
  • #2,610
lendav_rott said:
How do yous use the latex business? Is it all a code, do you have to memorise all the different strings?

Use OmCheeto's direction. Or alternately, there is a link in my signature to a pdf file that you can print out to keep handy.

Trust me on this though, practice [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] equations for just a little bit, and it will become second nature quicker that you'd expect.

I remember last time there was a latex toolbox somewhere, but I can't find it :s

You won't see it when posting to the General Discussion forum, but on other forums, click on the [itex] \Sigma [/itex] symbol in the "advanced" editing window (It's in the upper toolbar toward the right-hand side).

But again, trust me on this one: I never use that toolbox and I use a lot of [itex] \LaTeX [/itex]. Instead I find it far quicker and easier just to type it in. It only takes a little practice, and soon enough it's second nature.

• #2,611
^
I think I'd use the word "alternatively" instead of "alternately", but that may be archaic or cultural?

• #2,612
You have a point. While alternately and alternatively can be synonymous depending on the context and culture (and they are here, in terms of context anyway), I agree that alternatively might have been the better choice.

• #2,613
Its strange, I think the former sounds better or more succinct, but I doubt I'd use it.

• #2,614
Oh, he wants the P.

• #2,615
collinsmark said:
Trust me on this though, practice [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] equations for just a little bit, and it will become second nature quicker that you'd expect.
I would have thought you were joking when I first started here. I actually tried. Now, ##\LaTeX## is actually really natural. It's a lot easier than just copy-pasting symbols, and it looks better. :biggrin:

• #2,618
[tex]\frac{\alpha^n}{\sin\gamma} This\ looks\ much\ better,\ why\ didn't\ I\ use\ Latex\ before?\\ It's\ not\ that\ difficult\ at\ all,\ although\ it\ gets\ tiresome\ to\ add\\\ one\ of\ these\ slashes\ after\ each\ and\ every\ word\ it\ considerably\ slowers\ my\ typing\ speed\ :(\\
It\ is\ like\ adding\ ;\ in\ C\ after\ each\ line.
\\ \left(\begin{array}{cc}a&b&c&d\\D&C&B&A\end{array}\right)
I'm\ getting\ the\ hang\ of\ it\\

[/tex]

The weird part is I can't mess up a single thing or the entire latex displays as rubbish, just a code, not displaying any of it. I can't add \mbox{blablabla} without it ruining everything :/
[tex]\mbox{how is this supposed to work, though?} [/tex]

aah, the webpage doesn't display the code right away, makes me think I messed something up.

Last edited:
  • #2,619
All this ##\LaTeX## talk...but did anyone know that latex paint contains no actual latex?

• #2,620
lisab said:
All this ##\LaTeX## talk...but did anyone know that latex paint contains no actual latex?
It's a good thing as this happened to me during my last Lab job before retiring.

It is possible to have used latex gloves for years and to suddenly have a progression to systemic symptoms.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0101/p93.html#afp19980101p93-t2

• #2,621
lendav_rott said:
[tex]\frac{\alpha^n}{\sin\gamma} This\ looks\ much\ better,\ why\ didn't\ I\ use\ Latex\ before?\\ It's\ not\ that\ difficult\ at\ all,\ although\ it\ gets\ tiresome\ to\ add\\\ one\ of\ these\ slashes\ after\ each\ and\ every\ word\ it\ considerably\ slowers\ my\ typing\ speed\ :(\\

[/tex]

The weird part is I can't mess up a single thing or the entire latex displays as rubbish, just a code, not displaying any of it. I can't add \mbox{blablabla} without it ruining everything :/

aah, the webpage doesn't display the code right away, makes me think I messed something up.

Doesn't display at all on my phone.

• #2,622
lisab said:

I did not know that.

• #2,623
Enigman said:
Who moved your cheese?
It hasn't been moved. There's a shortage that Kraft declines to explain. Makes me think they caught a big batch of it full of e-coli or something just before it left the factory.

• #2,624
lendav_rott said:

[/tex]

No I don't think you messed anything up. It takes a while on my machine, too, but it does show eventually. Anyone else have a delayed display?

Delayed display - I like those words together :smile:.

• #2,625
Enigman said:
Who moved your cheese?
I am boredddddddddddddd.

zoobyshoe said:
It hasn't been moved. There's a shortage that Kraft declines to explain. Makes me think they caught a big batch of it full of e-coli or something just before it left the factory.

If your cheese starts to move itself, that's another problem altogether. Like maybe an e-coli collective mind.