Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,731
I've developed a habit of mixing up astronomy and astrology. Not that there's much difference to me. They both seem to simply divine things from thin air.

I arrived at a grand, climactic epiphany today. Dating is like evaluating contour integrals over ##\mathbb{C}##. It's complex, and you end up following a winding path to, more often than not, end up right back where you started. And, in the end, you're only left with the painful residues of your love and adoration for another.

...It's been a pretty awful day.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,732
Ah, schadenfreude...

• #2,733
collinsmark said:
And they would invariably look at me dumfounded, "what? Astronomy involves math?"

I am guilty of ridiculing my Mom when she told me "chemistry requires math". She didn't know anything about chemistry, she was an EE. I wasn't even 15 at the time. I remember it to this day :redface:

• #2,734
Mandelbroth said:
Dating is like evaluating contour integrals over ##\mathbb{C}##.

Except that it's racist to exclude all Poles when dating.

Sorry it's not going well.

Likes 1 person
  • #2,735
Enigman said:
Ah, schadenfreude...

Such an awesome word.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a mutt*. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.”
― James Nicoll

*The original quote has been altered. Go google if you're curious.

• #2,736
WannabeNewton said:
What kind of class has an exam on the third day? We must protest with flaming pitchforks and badly crafted picket signs a la !

Anyways if it makes you feel better, in one of my electrodynamics exams I forgot that the area element on the unit sphere has a ##\sin \theta## in it so I fudged up the entire problem :frown:

awwww *hugs wbn* I could never feel better about you making a mistake--you are my relativistic perfection, my physicist in a shining lab coat, my big bright star sitting in space-time curvature :)...my Rigel :-p

I'm with you on the flaming pitchfork bit...I was like who does this?

Evo said:
Evo Child's teacher in her first astronomy class gave them an end of semester test the second day. Apparently he was a a jerk like that the first couple of weeks until half the class withdrew. Then he became an awesome teacher with a much smaller class. He said he always did that on purpose to weed out students that weren't serious.
Yes I think this prof is like that too. It just sucks because the exam is 20% of my grade and I am not clearly grasping everything yet.

lisab said:
brillevil.
this is really so great :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,737
Is the universe trying to figure itself out?

Here's a big question that keeps popping into my mind every so often.
Humans keep trying to figure out how the universe works.
Yet there is no denying that we are a part of the universe.

So by implication, the universe itself is devoting some of itself to figure itself out.
And most humans are doing the same thing, trying to figure themselves out to some degree.

Is there some cosmic function at work in both instances that is staring us in the face, yet is so ubiquitous that we miss what should be readily apparent?

Any work being done on a similar principal that anyone is aware of?

• #2,738
This is so deeply "philosophical" it would get you instantly banned if posted in any other thread. At the same time I am not convinced it is random enough for this one.

The only related principals I am aware of are forum Mentors. You risk their wrath. Please read the forum rules.

• #2,739
I am devoting part of myself to producing insulin, because my pancreas does so.

But mostly I don't care.

• #2,740
Borek said:
This is so deeply "philosophical" it would get you instantly banned if posted in any other thread. At the same time I am not convinced it is random enough for this one.

The only related principals I am aware of are forum Mentors. You risk their wrath. Please read the forum rules.

It sounds like a rehashed, fluffed up version of what Carl Sagan once said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaj407ofjNE​

• #2,741
I love my headphones. It is wonderful how people leave you alone when you are wearing them...doesn't matter if it's playing or not.

• #2,742
Enigman said:
I love my headphones. It is wonderful how people leave you alone when you are wearing them...doesn't matter if it's playing or not.

I love going right up and talking to people who are wearing headphones, which makes them have to remove the headphones to listen to me.

:devil:

-Dave K

• #2,743
dkotschessaa said:
I love going right up and talking to people who are wearing headphones, which makes them have to remove the headphones to listen to me.

:devil:

-Dave K

I don't listen to people with or without my headphones. Wearing headphones just decreases the frequency of the times I need to block someone out mentally.

P.S. Though there was that time when I was listening to the final few seconds of moonlight sonata and someone took my headphones off...I punched the guy, solar plexus, hard. He didn't talk after that.
:smile:

• #2,744
Thanks for the warning Borek

I did read them and thought maybe I might get a notice or an infraction.
And thanks for the memory jog OmCheeto, I was a big fan of Carl and the series.

Maybe that's where the seed was planted, and the weed just won't die in my subconscious.

I know professional physicists tend not to dwell on "unanswerable" questions, but when I found this forum, I thought who better to pose the question to.

And dkotschessaa your comment seems to imply yet another example of said function at work.
I am not implying the Universe is consciously trying to figure itself out.

Yet life itself seems to constantly be trying to figure things out and adapt, and learn and grow.
It just seems for it to be so widespread, there might be an underlying principle.

Sorry If I picked the wrong forum. I'm just an ordinary layperson, who has been fascinated by science and the cosmos, and thought I'd reach out and see why it seems most scientists tend to think that humans and human behavior are somehow separate from the universe at large. So I posted an example to illustrate that idea.

Again apologies to those who think these thoughts are outside the realm of this forum. There are so few places you can talk about such things seriously.

Lately really excited on how life uses quantum effects. What an exciting field that should grow into!

• #2,745
Nilessteve said:
I did read them and thought maybe I might get a notice or an infraction.
And thanks for the memory jog OmCheeto, I was a big fan of Carl and the series.

Maybe that's where the seed was planted, and the weed just won't die in my subconscious.

I know professional physicists tend not to dwell on "unanswerable" questions, but when I found this forum, I thought who better to pose the question to.

And dkotschessaa your comment seems to imply yet another example of said function at work.
I am not implying the Universe is consciously trying to figure itself out.

Yet life itself seems to constantly be trying to figure things out and adapt, and learn and grow.
It just seems for it to be so widespread, there might be an underlying principle.

Sorry If I picked the wrong forum. I'm just an ordinary layperson, who has been fascinated by science and the cosmos, and thought I'd reach out and see why it seems most scientists tend to think that humans and human behavior are somehow separate from the universe at large. So I posted an example to illustrate that idea.

Again apologies to those who think these thoughts are outside the realm of this forum. There are so few places you can talk about such things seriously.

Lately really excited on how life uses quantum effects. What an exciting field that should grow into!
Now that you know this is not what this thread is for, let's not continue to discuss it. :smile:

• #2,746
Siesta time.

• #2,747
Enigman said:
Siesta time.
I think you mean "Es el tiempo para fiesta."

• #2,748
Preschooler Zeno's Paradox: If, every time you are handed a glass of milk, you drink exactly half of what remains, will you ever grow up into a big strong boy?

• #2,749
Ibix said:
Preschooler Zeno's Paradox: If, every time you are handed a glass of milk, you drink exactly half of what remains, will you ever grow up into a big strong boy?

An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first one orders a beer. The second one orders half a beer. The third one orders a quarter of a beer.

The bartender gets frustrated, and pours two glasses of beer. He yells, "You all ain't the only ones who know their limits!"

• #2,750
Enigman said:
Though there was that time when I was listening to the final few seconds of moonlight sonata and someone took my headphones off...I punched the guy, solar plexus, hard. He didn't talk after that.

Oh, my.

I'm trying to picture the situation in my head.

• #2,751
lisab said:
An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first one orders a beer. The second one orders half a beer. The third one orders a quarter of a beer.

The bartender gets frustrated, and pours two glasses of beer. He yells, "You all ain't the only ones who know their limits!"

Meeeeeee! Pick me! I know my limit!

I got between a borscht, religion, poetry, and something else argument tonight, at the bar.

I told my bartender to cut me off, permanently...

Unfortunately, he had his hands over his ears also.

My only solution to the whole thing, was to shout out: 2nd Peter, 3:16*!

and leave...

-------------------------
*It involves idiots, and their demise.

• #2,752
Enigman said:
Though there was that time when I was listening to the final few seconds of moonlight sonata and someone took my headphones off...I punched the guy, solar plexus, hard. He didn't talk after that.

Screenshot2014-01-17at83748PM_zps83f5f6f8.png

• #2,753
I iz bored.

• #2,754
A friend of mine once worked as a Russian translator for the military and directly under the control of the NSA. His job was to monitor and translate Soviet transmissions. He had a top secret clearance and, due to his position, met [or was in the same room with] the director of the NSA on two occasions.

He was telling me tonight that he was once given an award for his work. Someone came in, called him to attention, showed him the medal he had been awarded, congratulated him, and then said that he can't keep it. They could only show him the medal. He never even knew why he had been honored. Apparently he translated something that became important information. His military record shows that he received an award for classified work but it doesn't offer any explanation as to why or for what.

Last edited:
  • #2,755
Ivan Seeking said:
A friend of mine once worked as a Russian translator for the military and directly under the control of the NSA. His job was to monitor and translate Soviet transmissions. He had a top secret clearance and, due to his position, met [or was in the same room with] the director of the NSA on two occasions.

He was telling me tonight that he was once given an award for his work. Someone came in, called him to attention, showed him the medal he had been awarded, congratulated him, and then said that he can't keep it. They could only show him the medal. He never even knew why he had been honored. Apparently he translated something that became important information. His military record shows that he received an award for classified work but it doesn't offer any explanation as to why or for what.
Sounds like he didn't have a need to know. :-p

• #2,756
zoobyshoe said:
Screenshot2014-01-17at83748PM_zps83f5f6f8.png

Shame on you, Zshoe!
I am lactose intolerant. I take my adrenochrome with green tea.
:mad:

• #2,757
Enigman said:
Shame on you, Zshoe!
Quick! Get the Stilton from 5 pages ago! :-p

• #2,758
Mandelbroth said:
Quick! Get the Stilton from 5 pages ago! :-p

Then I will win the P F art competition, if you catch my drift...

• #2,759
Enigman said:
Then I will win the P F art competition, if you catch my drift...
Are you referring to the gas and diarrhea that are common symptoms of lactose intolerance, or are you saying something less immature? :smile:

I'm not an adult yet. I can enjoy immature humor if I want to. :-p

• #2,760
Whatever rolls you on the floor.
:biggrin:

• #2,761
Cute baby pictures.

http://www.viralnova.com/here-are-12-unborn-animals-in-the-womb-theyre-absolutely-beautiful-especially-the-dolphin/

• #2,762
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/animals_in_utero_11.jpg
Luke I am your brother.
now that introductions are out of the way, let's play peek-a-boo!

• #2,763
Enigman said:
Luke I am your brother.
No. I am. I'm batman.

• #2,764
Enigman said:
Shame on you, Zshoe!

We should all strive to be more tolerant, Mr E.

• #2,765
lisab said:
We should all strive to be more tolerant, Mr E.

And funnier too, milady!
-------------------------------
don't know if you got the joke or if I missed something...
"en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_(A_Clockwork_Orange)" - guy from zshoe's picture.
Adrenochrome

Last edited by a moderator: