Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,696
So far two out of three tutorials didn't work as advertised, sample code was not doing what it should do, and a feature I need is implemented with known bug, not corrected since 2009. Tutorials are targeted at an older IDE (I was advised against using it) and the new IDE by default creates projects which are not compatible with the tutorial. Took me half a day to find and install drivers to connect my smartphone to computer and IDE.

I was expecting a steep learning curve, but I never expected cliff covered with lubricant.

So its the former, not the latter.

Thanks for cheering me up.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,697
Sorry to hear about that Borek. Don't worry about it, cheer up. It will work fine eventually.

• #2,698
I have to admit that I don't play well with others who don't play well with others.

• #2,699
[note to self] It will be OK.. It just takes time.. It will be OK [/note to self]

• #2,700
Had another stroke yesterday. Note to self "If you're going to have a stroke, don't do it where you can fall on a roaring-hot wood stove." The whole right side of my body is bruised, scraped and sore and I lost a pretty large patch of skin on my right arm (burned off).

• #2,701
turbo said:
Had another stroke yesterday. Note to self "If you're going to have a stroke, don't do it where you can fall on a roaring-hot wood stove." The whole right side of my body is bruised, scraped and sore and I lost a pretty large patch of skin on my right arm (burned off).
Crap! :cry:

• #2,702
dlgoff said:
Crap! :cry:
Yep. Not my best day in recent months. I am really lame and sore, and it's hard to get around the house. When I "came to" I was lying on the floor bleeding next to a hot wood stove. Duke and Lola were no help. During my last stroke, I collapsed on the back lawn, and Duke went back to the house to alert my wife. She came down to the back lawn and helped me get on my feet and get me back to the house. I'm so glad that I didn't collapse in the raspberry/blackberry patch.

• #2,703
I don't mean to nag, Turbo, but I really think you should go to the hospital immediately following a stroke. Timely, stroke treatment trumps pretty-much any other possible malady that might otherwise keep you from the hospital.

• #2,704
collinsmark said:
I don't mean to nag, Turbo, but I really think you should go to the hospital immediately following a stroke. Timely, stroke treatment trumps pretty-much any other possible malady that might otherwise keep you from the hospital.
Thanks for the advice. I don't know if I could survive a trip with an ambulance crew and a hospital visit. My reactions to fragrances (even in laundry detergents) can be severe, and they don't resolve for several days. Not fun.

• #2,705
The silver lining (if there is one in this case), medical professionals know the time-constraints of stroke treatments too, so if you show symptoms of a stroke, you'll be rushed to the front of the line.

• #2,706
turbo said:
Thanks for the advice. I don't know if I could survive a trip with an ambulance crew and a hospital visit. My reactions to fragrances (even in laundry detergents) can be severe, and they don't resolve for several days. Not fun.

Why are you calling these episodes "strokes", by the way? Since you don't go to the doctor, how do you know they're not, say, syncope or drop seizures?

• #2,707
zoobyshoe said:
Why are you calling these episodes "strokes", by the way? Since you don't go to the doctor, how do you know they're not, say, syncope or drop seizures?
I don't know. The first happened many years ago, and it took me 3-4 days to learn to walk again (if you can call shuffling along on a flat floor "walking". I lost the sensation of balance and joint position in my left leg and sensation of temperature in my right. The German-born neurologist (now working with US troops) had me scanned and she showed my how "lucky" I was that the stroke had not exhibited elsewhere in the brain-stem, since the loss of function could have been much worse.

• #2,708
turbo said:
I don't know. The first happened many years ago, and it took me 3-4 days to learn to walk again (if you can call shuffling along on a flat floor "walking". I lost the sensation of balance and joint position in my left leg and sensation of temperature in my right. The German-born neurologist (now working with US troops) had me scanned and she showed my how "lucky" I was that the stroke had not exhibited elsewhere in the brain-stem, since the loss of function could have been much worse.
So, you did go to a doctor back when the first one happened, and she's the one who called it a stroke.

• #2,709
Sorry to hear about that, turbo. What did the doctor say?

• #2,710
Gad said:
Sorry to hear about that, turbo. What did the doctor say?
I dare not see a doctor, since neither they or their staff have a clue about being "fragrance free" as they all claim. Those people all come to work in clothing saturated with fragrances from laundry detergents and fabric softeners and pretend that If they did not apply anything from a bottle called "perfume" or "cologne" that they are fragrance-free. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

People with MCS are pretty much screwed. Nobody understands it and only family and close friends can accommodate it, if they can be bothered to try.

• #2,711
Need magnets...Beware all speakers, hard drives, motors...I come. Or I could make an electromagnet and magnetize some coins...what's the curie temperature for stainless steal? google...google... google... scroogle. 623K-673K.
Ah well, Neanderthallic approach is more fun anyways...track, scavenge and hit (hard).

• #2,712
My dogs are on facebook because my wife's friend put them there.

• #2,713
Enigman said:
Need magnets...Beware all speakers, hard drives, motors...I come. Or I could make an electromagnet and magnetize some coins...what's the curie temperature for stainless steal? google...google... google... scroogle. 623K-673K.
Ah well, Neanderthallic approach is more fun anyways...track, scavenge and hit (hard).

You can't permanently magnetize stainless unless it's first hardened, and not all stainless can be hardened. It has to have the right other elements in it to be harden-able. I bet you're talking a special alloy for that. (The curie temp is not important in magnetizing anything. That's important when you want to de-magnetize a permanent magnet.)

Regardless, old speakers are a great source for ceramic ferrite magnets. Those are much stronger than hardened steel magnets. Strongest of all, of course, are rare Earth magnets, such as found in hard drives. You can also buy them in myriad configurations online. ebay has a huge selection. The larger they are, though, the more expensive.

• #2,714
zoobyshoe said:
You can't permanently magnetize stainless unless it's first hardened, and not all stainless can be hardened. It has to have the right other elements in it to be harden-able. I bet you're talking a special alloy for that. (The curie temp is not important in magnetizing anything. That's important when you want to de-magnetize a permanent magnet.)

The curie temp should 'loosen' out all moments and after that cooling in a magnetic field should theoretically* give better aligned domains/moments/squiggly arrows/whatever than just using an electromagnet. The coin is of Ferritic stainless steel (about 20% chromium very less nickel) and which (the coins) to my experience does indeed magnetize.
*well, probably...
:redface:

• #2,715
I'm going to get a copy of Quantum Mechanics For Idiots...or is it Dummies? Been out of school for a little bit and can't even remember how to integrate a classical wave function -_- That exam on the third day of class made me feel like even more of an idiot. so sad.

• #2,716
HeLiXe said:
That exam on the third day of class made me feel like even more of an idiot. so sad.

What kind of class has an exam on the third day? We must protest with flaming pitchforks and badly crafted picket signs a la !

Anyways if it makes you feel better, in one of my electrodynamics exams I forgot that the area element on the unit sphere has a ##\sin \theta## in it so I fudged up the entire problem :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,717
HeLiXe said:
I'm going to get a copy of Quantum Mechanics For Idiots...or is it Dummies? Been out of school for a little bit and can't even remember how to integrate a classical wave function -_- That exam on the third day of class made me feel like even more of an idiot. so sad.
Evo Child's teacher in her first astronomy class gave them an end of semester test the second day. Apparently he was a a jerk like that the first couple of weeks until half the class withdrew. Then he became an awesome teacher with a much smaller class. He said he always did that on purpose to weed out students that weren't serious.

• #2,718
Evo said:
Evo Child's teacher in her first astronomy class gave them an end of semester test the second day. Apparently he was a a jerk like that the first couple of weeks until half the class withdrew. Then he became an awesome teacher with a much smaller class. He said he always did that on purpose to weed out students that weren't serious.

So he realizes he gets paid the same whether there are 40 students in his class or 20, and thinks, well why not?

I can't decide if he's evil, brilliant, or brillevil.

• #2,719
lisab said:
So he realizes he gets paid the same whether there are 40 students in his class or 20, and thinks, well why not?

I can't decide if he's evil, brilliant, or brillevil.
At first I hated him because Evo child was so devastated that she didn't know most of the answers, then he finally admitted she wasn't supposed to. She almost quit because she figured that she was supposed to know this stuff, then she found out that everyone failed. He turned out to be the best teacher ever, but apparently he only wants to teach those that are driven to learn and excel. Of course he could be scaring away kids that might really do well, but are insecure. Ok, I am mad again.

• #2,720
Enigman said:
The curie temp should 'loosen' out all moments and after that cooling in a magnetic field should theoretically* give better aligned domains/moments/squiggly arrows/whatever than just using an electromagnet.
They don't really need loosening. They'll realign in a strong enough external field.

The way they magnetize permanent magnets in industry is to place them in a coil and energize the coil very briefly with a high current discharge from a bank of capacitors. Simple ones, like refrigerator magnets, they stack them and run them on conveyer belts into the coil, zapping them at the proper time. The belt never stops. Specially shaped magnets need a special electromagnet with dedicated pole pieces, and may have to be magnetized one at a time.

That's only half the story, though. The other half is how well the material holds the magnetism. That's a matter of how hard you can make the material. The softer it is, the easier it is to knock the domains out of alignment. Pure, soft iron basically loses all magnetism as soon as you remove the external field (That's what you want for the core of an electromagnet, or for a motor).Ceramic ferrite magnets, on the other end of the gradient, won't show any degradation for a couple hundred years (they reckon in the book I read). I don't know about rare earth, but I'd bet it's at least as long.

Anyway, if you heat your coins you'll have to quench them fast or they'll not be hard. Heating a coin to cherry red ought to be doable with a common propane torch.

• #2,722
Spike Milligan's autobiography mentions similar competitions in barracks during World War 2. Lit matches sometimes added to the 'fun'.

• #2,726
Dark times for an Holmesian. The canon seems to be corroding faster than ever and anyone writing about a cold reader seems to be gunning for the name.

• #2,727
Enigman said:
Dark times for an Holmesian. The canon seems to be corroding faster than ever and anyone writing about a cold reader seems to be gunning for the name.
Could you translate into Japanese, please. And illustrate all wind passed, if you would.

• #2,730
Evo said:
At first I hated him because Evo child was so devastated that she didn't know most of the answers, then he finally admitted she wasn't supposed to. She almost quit because she figured that she was supposed to know this stuff, then she found out that everyone failed. He turned out to be the best teacher ever, but apparently he only wants to teach those that are driven to learn and excel. Of course he could be scaring away kids that might really do well, but are insecure. Ok, I am mad again.

If it was any other subject besides astronomy, I might have different words than this: He might have actually had the intention of doing the students a favor -- particularly those who dropped the class.

There are many colleges and universities in my town, and on several occasions I've met students who just enrolled in an upcoming, university level, astronomy class. Being very interested in the subject myself, I would typically get excited and mention something about math. And they would invariably look at me dumfounded, "what? Astronomy involves math?"

Mathematics seeps its way into astronomy all different angles. Even in an introductory course there are still lots of algebra and arithmetic, from creating/studying formulae for a calendar, to calculating planetary orbits, to determining the age of the universe, to even looking at some common nuclear reactions. Can you imagine determining -- objectively -- that some celestial bodies (like the planets) elliptically orbit other celestial bodies (like the sun), based solely on observational data of the bodies' observed positions in the Earth's sky (i.e. repeating Kepler's findings)? 'Lots of math in that one.

But alas, a huge portion of students think -- at the time that they enroll in the class -- that astronomy is little more than recognizing the constellations and looking at pretty pictures through a telescope.

Giving students a heads-up on what the class is really about let's them make the choice of whether they want to drop the class while they have the chance, rather than finding out later and failing after it's too late.