Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
Evo said:
So far they've been pretty quiet, I hope they're not party throwers.
I'm happy for you too Evo. Especially knowing what you had to go through before.

Physics news on Phys.org
None of my neighbors speak to me, except for this little boy who says "hi" to me sometimes when I'm coming home from school or work. I'm also fairly certain that the people living across the street from me are growing marijuana.

lisab said:
Yay! I'm happy that you (hopefully) have good neighbors. It's one of the little things in life that can mean so much.

My newest neighbor is single, and works the graveyard shift. We've said; "Hi!", about twice in the last three years. IMHO, he is the perfect neighbor.

I'm sure by now that everyone is aware that I'd like to institute Sharia Law in America, due to my last few sets of "Crack-***" neighbors...

Evo said:
Oh no, are your liver enzymes elevated? And your doctor is taking care of this, right?

I will save you scary details of how the health care in Poland works lately. I have seen a doctor, and let's stay at that. I am definitely getting better.

Last edited:
I think I've been dieting too long. I saw a thread titled "The reason pi is not rational", and my first thought was, too much sugar!

Ivan Seeking said:
I think I've been dieting too long. I saw a thread titled "The reason pi is not rational", and my first thought was, too much sugar!

lol. I get this on a level that most people here won't, Ivan.

-Dave K

I am literally shaking after watching a movie ( not sure how to classify it, probably social or psychological drama). I suppose that means it was a good movie.

Borek said:
I am literally shaking after watching a movie ( not sure how to classify it, probably social or psychological drama). I suppose that means it was a good movie.

What movie was it? Any chance it's available in the US?

OK. So I finally managed to took this picture of me. But the camera broke down falling from hands. So I just had the film. I developed it myself and it did not look correct. So I scanned the photo and did some correction to it. So I am happy that finally PF will know how I look like.

Here it comes ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=59010&stc=1&d=1369466794.png

Attachments

• neckbeard.png
    neckbeard.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 414
Borek said:

Or you need to stop watching movies outside in your underwear in freezing weather.

lisab said:
What movie was it? Any chance it's available in the US?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2209300/

No idea about availability. But if you are interested, let me know, I can try to arrange something.

My computer is named Clubber Lang.

Last edited by a moderator:
AnTiFreeze3 said:
None of my neighbors speak to me, except for this little boy who says "hi" to me sometimes when I'm coming home from school or work. I'm also fairly certain that the people living across the street from me are growing marijuana.

hmmm...maybe we live in the same neighborhood :-p

If one of the neighborhood kids wanted to learn about what you do, would you teach them?

ChiralWaltz said:
If one of the neighborhood kids wanted to learn about what you do, would you teach them?

I would get out a solar panel, an old fish tank, the bilge pump out of my boat, fill the tank with water, hook everything up, and ask them;
How do you think this works? I haven't plugged anything into the wall, and there aren't any batteries. Do you think this is magic?

Then I would pretend to know the answers to the questions they asked me. :-p

HeLiXe said:

Well next time you're driving by at night, look for a kid out in his driveway using a telescope :smile:

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Well next time you're driving by at night, look for a kid out in his driveway using a telescope :smile:

And don't tell him that he's holding his telescope backwards. He's very sensitive.

micromass said:
And don't tell him that he's holding his telescope backwards. He's very sensitive.

That would explain so much.

Jumbo artichokes were on sale and I bought two. Artichoke party for Evo tonight! :!) I just boil them whole then peel off and eat each leaf bottom, dipped in melted butter with lemon and garlic. Heaven.

Evo said:
Jumbo artichokes were on sale and I bought two. Artichoke party for Evo tonight! :!) I just boil them whole then peel off and eat each leaf bottom, dipped in melted butter with lemon and garlic. Heaven.

I don't know about the rest of the food, but I saw melted butter, so it sounds delicious.

micromass said:

funny you said this,
i had a neighbor who did this,
he could not figure out why his telescope was not showing anything(refractor ,he's use to reflector),
i tried to tell him his tube was backwards,
at first he did not accept what i was saying,.
a week or so after this, he came to me apologizing.

micromass said:

Backwards telescopes! I wonder what the red button does? Hmmm...

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm eagerly anticipating the images that the James Webb telescope is going to be taking.
6.5-meter primary mirror. Hubble's is only 2.4 meters. *drooling*:bugeye:
isim3_med.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ChiralWaltz said:
Backwards telescopes!
On the other end of the spectrum, I'm eagerly anticipating the images that the James Webb telescope is going to be taking.
6.5-meter primary mirror. Hubble's is only 2.4 meters. *drooling*:bugeye:

Me too.

In addition to the bigger mirror, the James Webb telescope will be heavily biases toward the Infrared part of the spectrum. This has two major advantages, scientifically. It can more easily "see through" dust, which presently obscures a fair amount of our galaxy and anything behind it. And it can be better at observing more distant galaxies since more distant galaxies are more red-shifted. Better observations of more distant galaxies are akin to better ability of "looking back in time," when it comes to galaxy formation.

On the other hand, I don't expect the James Webb telescope's images to look as "pretty" as Hubble's. That might just be a price we have to pay.

HeLiXe said:

*wonders if HeLiXe is into, um, farming :biggrin:*

AnTiFreeze3 said:
maybe this is the sort of environment star lovers find themselves in XD
micromass said:
:smile:
lisab said:
*wonders if HeLiXe is into, um, farming :biggrin:*

nope! not into hydroponics either :approve:

I was drawing in a coffeehouse this afternoon and a guy with a camera came up and asked if he could take some shots of me drawing. He was some sort of a photo buff with a new camera out looking for interesting things to shoot. He ended up taking about 75 shots. I approve. Shows he was serious about exploring the subject matter. It was also fun to be on the other side of the lens for once.

It seems I'm losing one of my friends to" new-ageism". We used to have a good time hanging out , making jokes, and now he starts bringing up all sorts of tales about piramids, cristals, reincarnation, etc., and I just can't go along with it and take it seriously.

We are , I guess, a sort of odd pair, with me obsessing and upset over signs that read things
like " All Burgers $2.95 " , and him supporting the claims in his conspiracy theories " because he read it somewhere on the web".

Last edited:
Bacle2 said:
It seems I'm losing one of my friends to" new-ageism". We used to have a good time hanging out , making jokes, and now he starts bringing up all sorts of tales about piramids, cristals, reincarnation, etc., and I just can't go along with it and take it seriously.

We are , I guess, a sort of odd-couple, with me obsessing and upset over signs that read things
like " All Burgers $2.95 " , and him supporting the claims in his conspiracy theories " because he read it somewhere on the web".

I would carry an emergency aluminum foil cap, and make this face any time he is around.

tinfoil_hat.and.crazy.smile.jpg

I have friends, who I used to think were geniuses. One by one, they turned out to be idiot savants. I thought they were geniuses, because they could memorize and regurgitate things ad-absudum. Something that I have never been able to do.

And no, they are not autistic savants. They are all idiots.

Trust me.

tinfoil_hat.and.crazy.smile.jpg

Likes WWGD
Bacle2 said:

We are , I guess, a sort of odd-couple, with me obsessing and upset over signs that read things

I have some friends with some wacky beliefs, but luckily they're the type of people who don't bring them up very often, and when they do, they don't mind my ridiculing of them. Of course we agree about most everything else, except for these few outlying abnormalities, otherwise I wouldn't put up with their crap :smile:

This is starting to remind me of some lines from a Joni Mitchell song:

Oh but now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost but something's gained
In living every day

Unfortunately, "something lost", seems to be my old friends minds, lately... :frown:

Bacle2 said:

This has happened to me as well on several occasions (e.g. homeopathy, paranormal stuff, various conspiracy theories etc.) :frown:. May I suggest Michael Shermer's Baloney Detection Kit (clip)? Whenever I get crystals oscillating in harmony with the Universe thrown at me, I get consolation from this clip :smile:. In some cases, it might even help new agers, who knows? Or at least, be a start, perhaps. Dunno, thought I might as well share the clip.

'Dreamt I had a pet chicken.

collinsmark said:
'Dreamt I had a pet chicken.

And what did it taste like, then?

Italian Pistachio Gelato

Thanks for the advice;it seems others have been in the same situation. At least I convinced my friend to not go see shaman Rahi. I did some checking, and Rahi's real name is Bernie Schwarz , from teaneck N.J. Bernie apparently got his "shamanship" certificate by taking courses in some mall somewhere in Miami Lakes, so we know Rahi is a real shaman; after the courses, he sent $12.95+S&H , so he does have a certificate.