Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,976
zoobyshoe said:
I suspect the bulk of that must be legal fees for the patent attorney. What's the actual fee charged by the patent office?

I have not a clue. The list of fees is about 7 miles long. But I was warned by an associate that I should not spend less than $10k on attorney's fees. He claims to be the author of some software that is being used around the country right now.

ps. I just spent 3 hours taking the USPTO 30 minute "Basic Patent Training For Independent Inventors and Small Businesses" certification package.

I used to think word problems were hard...

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,977
Migraines are not fun.

• #2,978
OmCheeto said:
I have not a clue. The list of fees is about 7 miles long. But I was warned by an associate that I should not spend less than $10k on attorney's fees. He claims to be the author of some software that is being used around the country right now.

ps. I just spent 3 hours taking the USPTO 30 minute "Basic Patent Training For Independent Inventors and Small Businesses" certification package.

I'm pretty sure a lone inventor would be a "micro-entity," and would be charged $70 for filing. One point of an attorney, I guess, is that he/she would be able to figure out what other of the myriad complications apply to your invention.

• #2,979
zoobyshoe said:
I'm pretty sure a lone inventor would be a "micro-entity," and would be charged $70 for filing.
Sweet!

$40k is almost twice what I paid for my house.

One point of an attorney, I guess, is that he/she would be able to figure out what other of the myriad complications apply to your invention.

It's not complicated at all.

It's the word problems that bother me. Where's berned_you when I need her... :cry:

Last edited:
  • #2,980
mandelbroth said:
the cookie is a lie. :smile:

Half Life 3 confirmed

• #2,981
WannabeNewton said:
Half Life 3 confirmed

I am pretty busy this weekend, but 4/4/14 looks quite promising :biggrin:

• #2,982
zoobyshoe said:
One point of an attorney, I guess, is that he/she would be able to figure out what other of the myriad complications apply to your invention.

Close, but the real point of an attorney is to figure out things that you didn't know about, and then charge you $500 an hour to explain them. The importance and/or level of complication doesn't matter much, so long as you can pay the hourly rate.

Actually, this is the same system that the military used to use for developing new toys to play with, except they called it "cost-plus accounting". Spend as much as you like, send in the bill with a 30% markup, and no questions asked :smile:

• #2,983
Enigman said:
Migraines are not fun.

:frown: I can confirm this.

A low-tech trick: ice pack to the back of your head/neck, and rest in a quiet, dark room. High-tech trick: injectable Imatrex.

Oh and caffeine, of course.

• #2,984
lisab said:

A low-tech trick: ice pack to the back of your head/neck, and rest in a quiet, dark room.

When I had them, the trick was to do this before they fully developed.

• #2,985
lisab said:

A low-tech trick: ice pack to the back of your head/neck, and rest in a quiet, dark room. High-tech trick: injectable Imatrex.

Oh and caffeine, of course.

Thanks milady, but have too much to get done to rest right now.

• #2,986
zoobyshoe said:
I suspect the bulk of that must be legal fees for the patent attorney. What's the actual fee charged by the patent office?

In 2004 it was around $1500-$2000 and about ten-K more for the patent attorney. The patent attorney is probably necessary expense because there's standards for drawings and terminology, and the patent attorney is well connected to translate your idea into that bizarre patent office language.

One can file a "provisional patent" himself for a few hundred bucks BUT - that starts a clock. You have one more year to obtain a real patent, or lose rights to it.

• #2,987
OmCheeto said:
Ideas are expensive.

A lack of ideas is probably more expensive, in the long run.

• #2,988
I'm watching this Beatles tribute on CBS. The last remaining Beatles are shown sitting in the front row: Paul, Ringo, and Yoko.

Less than an hour to go before Paul and Ringo take the stage.

• #2,989
OmCheeto said:

I don't know what you are trying to patent, but you might be interested in this new book, she's a very successful entrepreneur and on the investor TV show "shark tank" where she financially backs inventors.

Review
Advance praise for Invent It, Sell It, Bank It!

“I am used to dealing with Mavericks and Lori fits the bill! Lori Greiner’s insightful and practical book, Invent It, Sell It, Bank It! should be on the required reading list for anyone who wants to take an idea and turn it into a real business.”—Mark Cuban

“While most people write a book to make money, it’s evident in reading Invent It, Sell It, Bank It! that Lori’s goal is to share her secrets with the reader, and make them money.”—Mark Burnett

“Inventors, look no further—Lori Greiner’s book has it all. It’s fast, it’s fun to read, and it’s packed with all the information you need to turn your big idea into a huge success.”—New York Times bestselling author Gary Vaynerchuk, CEO, Vaynermedia

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0804176434/?tag=pfamazon01-20

• #2,990
I should be asleep. I should have done my work. But I'm here on PF...I think I need help :rolleyes:

• #2,991
zoobyshoe said:
I'm watching this Beatles tribute on CBS. The last remaining Beatles are shown sitting in the front row: Paul, Ringo, and Yoko.

Less than an hour to go before Paul and Ringo take the stage.

It was the 50th anniversary of their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964. It's somewhat horrible to know I saw that broadcast.

• #2,992
Evo said:
I don't know what you are trying to patent, but you might be interested in this new book, she's a very successful entrepreneur and on the investor TV show "shark tank" where she financially backs inventors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0804176434/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Yippie! Thank you Evo. Remind me, when this is all over with, that I owe you an extra $20 million.

Available March 11, 2014
I'll pick it up at the local bookstore. In the meanwhile, I should probably read Jim Clifton's book again.

Wow:
wiki said:
Lori Greiner
Her first patent was a plastic jewelry organizer for earrings which generated $500 million in sales.

• #2,993
Why the hell does my bedroom smell like sweaty socks :/

• #2,994
zoobyshoe said:
It was the 50th anniversary of their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964. It's somewhat horrible to know I saw that broadcast.
Like it was yesterday. Parents out for the evening, chair placed 3 feet in front of B&W TV, eyes glued on screen. Outstanding.

• #2,995
I find probability theory hilarious...no idea why.

• #2,996
Enigman said:
I find probability theory hilarious...no idea why.

... :rolleyes: ... ?!

(Probability/statistics was never my area of specialty, but as time goes on I have grown a deep fascination with and respect for the subject. The Central Limit Theorem is one of my favorites. [And contemplating that knowing that the Gaussian normal shape is the wavefunction shape that has minimal uncertainty in quantum mechanics {Although in fairness, the minimal uncertainty can be explained as the result of its Fourier Transform properties}].)

• #2,997
dlgoff said:
Like it was yesterday. Parents out for the evening, chair placed 3 feet in front of B&W TV, eyes glued on screen. Outstanding.
I was 8, and don't vividly remember the performance at all. What I remember was the infectious excitement with which my oldest sister (then age 15) experienced the show. We three younger kids were sucked up into it and hypnotized by her into believing it was the most important television event in the history of the world. Like it beat seeing Oswald get shot live on TV.

• #2,998
There's a show on History Channel called MonsterQuest. I fell asleep this afternoon during their quest for albino sperm whales. I dreamt they reported finding a whole pod of white sperm whales in the Antarctic; an unknown Arctic variety of them. Polar whales, like polar bears.

Anyway, apparently I started a thread about them and dreamt I was checking replies to the thread. I kept scrolling up and down and couldn't make out any of the replies. I just had a vague impression of what they said.

In my case what they say is true: you can't read in dreams.

• #2,999
zoobyshoe said:
There's a show on History Channel called MonsterQuest. I fell asleep this afternoon during their quest for albino sperm whales. I dreamt they reported finding a whole pod of white sperm whales in the Antarctic; an unknown Arctic variety of them. Polar whales, like polar bears.

Anyway, apparently I started a thread about them and dreamt I was checking replies to the thread. I kept scrolling up and down and couldn't make out any of the replies. I just had a vague impression of what they said.

In my case what they say is true: you can't read in dreams.
I can read in dreams, my nightmare this morning was reading an instruction manual for a cell phone. I could read everything just fine, but was having hell making the darn thing work. What was funny was that all of the live information in the lists of calls received and messages left were all in the printed manual and scrollable, as if they were on the phone. They were easier to use enlarged in the manual than on the actual phone. I can control my dreams so made that happen because I was getting frustrated.

• #3,000
Evo said:
I can read in dreams, my nightmare this morning was reading an instruction manual for a cell phone. I could read everything just fine, but was having hell making the darn thing work. What was funny was that all of the live information in the lists of calls received and messages left were all in the printed manual and scrollable, as if they were on the phone. They were easier to use enlarged in the manual than on the actual phone. I can control my dreams so made that happen because I was getting frustrated.
Gferabtt ojjngdt koieeelpp nbbsg jns kkjshdy weroo palsne bd mmanuus paoee pldjyt onjuhdt sddgtf whoud wq s whsbut. Thend ondg okndgfy jg bnoieby agmwot. Npu teow nboslt e.

• #3,001
zoobyshoe said:
gferabtt ojjngdt koieeelpp nbbsg jns kkjshdy weroo palsne bd mmanuus paoee pldjyt onjuhdt sddgtf whoud wq s whsbut. Thend ondg okndgfy jg bnoieby agmwot. Npu teow nboslt e.
ahahahahahaha

• #3,003
I did calculus in my dreams once*, the math made sense while I was dreaming but when I woke up I remembered integrating a bench into something**.
*calculating gravitational jerk in relativistic terms with j as a variable...I couldn't make sense of the math even when I was awake (high school)...mmm, I should throw it at mathematica perhaps. I need to practice using mathematica.
**no, it wasn't a tree.
Edit: Or a floating log bench.

Last edited:
  • #3,004
zoobyshoe said:
... I started a thread about them and dreamt I was checking replies to the thread. I kept scrolling up and down and couldn't make out any of the replies. I just had a vague impression of what they said.
Now that's what I call being a "True PFer". Maybe there should be a PF Member Dreamweaver Award.

• #3,005
dlgoff said:
Now that's what I call being a "True PFer". Maybe there should be a PF Member Dreamweaver Award.
Actually, I think I've only dreamt about PF about twice before in ten+ years. Maybe that's because I can't read in my dreams.

• #3,006
Worst day ever! Wasted the whole day working on a bad cell, turned out I missed one step in the cleaning process, which caused lots of defects. So do other cells. My work for one whole week went to garbage. My day didn't go as planned at all too. I got a violation ticket even though I have a parking permit, how did that parking nazi not see it? I walked down the street mumbling and almost crying saying the only thing that would make my day worse is falling on the ground cause of the slippery ice, and by the time I finished thinking that, I did fall. :cry::cry::cry:

• #3,007
Gad said:
Worst day ever! Wasted the whole day working on a bad cell, turned out I missed one step in the cleaning process, which caused lots of defects. So do other cells. My work for one whole week went to garbage. My day didn't go as planned at all too. I got a violation ticket even though I have a parking permit, how did that parking nazi not see it? I walked down the street mumbling and almost crying saying the only thing that would make my day worse is falling on the ground cause of the slippery ice, and by the time I finished thinking that, I did fall. :cry::cry::cry:

:frown:

*gives Gad chocolate*

*gives more*

• #3,008
Thanks lisab. *sniffs*eats chocolate*sniffs*

• #3,009
I was not expecting that...

Likes 1 person
  • #3,010
22222, I feel like a train.