Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #3,291
HomogenousCow said:
I was compensated with some ice cream...

That doesn't sound like the NY I know and love.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,292
I just received basically my first non A/A+ grades in a major class. An A- in algebra 2 and a B+ in upper div EM 1.

To be honest, I'm happy. I've always had a fear of not getting As. But you know what? I learned a lot. I took graduate courses, have been working on a senior paper, have been tutoring, have been grading homeworks, and I've been living.

I'm happy and relieved in a weird way. Could I have studied more and gone for those As? Yeah, but I've been too busy with the graduate class and research. I had a total of 20 units and 4 of them were grad.

I mean the main thing is I DID learn. I had fun and learned. My GPA overall will still be around 3.7, and my major/minor GPA will still be something like 3.8/9. I'm happier than I would be if I had gotten As. Just because I'm so relieved.

I mean also, I had fun. I had quite a few nights of smoking and drinking with friends and enjoying life. I can get so caught up in being "smart", like it's a part of me. I'm glad I didn't this time. I'm happy.

• #3,293
I should be graduating soon and hopefully going to grad school (applying in the Fall, have one quarter or so left).

This might sound arrogant, but I guess I'm kind of moving beyond that kinda stuff now. I've been working on research and graduate classes and spending a lot of time on those, along with learning my own stuff. I posted earlier I was invited to lecture at a seminar for advanced graduate students and professors, which I'm excited for. My graduate class is crazy hard. I mean the stuff I'm learning in algebra and EM is important, and I'm learning it, I just don't feel the need to kill myself over getting out the last few points.

• #3,294
I got As in my classes and I never cared for it :/ I don't get it, what is the fuss about? Does getting an A somehow say that in practice you will perform better?

• #3,295
Wait is "Random Thoughts" also "Rant about grades and flaunt arrogance"...? My how things have changed.

• #3,296
Haha seems to be!

Currently watching world war z and eating donuts. The film isn't too bad but has far too many plot holes for my liking. Most people refuse to watch films with me as I point out why things wouldn't happen or inconsistancies throughout.

I'm going to look at some kittens later. They are not ready to leave their mum yet but I'm considering getting two.

• #3,297
turbo is AWOL since March 6th.

• #3,298
Borek said:
turbo is AWOL since March 6th.
I have been worried about him for a while. I just sent him an email. I hope I'll get a reply.

• #3,299
dlgoff said:
I have been worried about him for a while. I just sent him an email. I hope I'll get a reply.
Now I'm really worried. I just got a "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)‏". :cry:

• #3,300
I needz to sleep T_T

• #3,301
I sure hope turbo is ok

• #3,302
1 week ago, it was snowing and there were blizzards. Today, 1 week later, everything has melted away.
http://www.upload.ee/image/3959657/EstonianSpring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,303
dlgoff said:
Now I'm really worried. I just got a "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)‏". :cry:
That doesn't sound good. :frown:

• #3,304
That just means he no longer uses this particular email. If the email was not bounced it wouldn't mean anything either.

Sadly, I just realized I lost part of my email database, most likely together with turbo's address. I have a backup, but stupid The Bat! crashes instead of restoring it.

• #3,305
I really should learn to use LaTeX

• #3,306
Another child celebrity has taken a bad turn.

tumblr_n2u9n7r43v1rk54eco1_500.jpg

tumblr_n2u9n7r43v1rk54eco2_500.gif

• #3,307
WannabeNewton said:
My how things have changed.
The sad thing is that I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. :smile:

• #3,308
johnqwertyful said:
I should be graduating soon and hopefully going to grad school (applying in the Fall, have one quarter or so left).

This might sound arrogant, but I guess I'm kind of moving beyond that kinda stuff now. I've been working on research and graduate classes and spending a lot of time on those, along with learning my own stuff. I posted earlier I was invited to lecture at a seminar for advanced graduate students and professors, which I'm excited for. My graduate class is crazy hard. I mean the stuff I'm learning in algebra and EM is important, and I'm learning it, I just don't feel the need to kill myself over getting out the last few points.

Doesn't sound arrogant to me - sounds like maturity.

• #3,309
Borek said:
I have a backup, but stupid The Bat! crashes instead of restoring it.

Yeah, the joys of backup software. Last week I bought a Seagate 1 TB USB drive, which came with its own backup software. Installing that was NOT a good idea. First it insists of permanent internet access to a free trial of a cloud server backup service (and what's the point of a free trial backup service once the trial has timed out? Not to mention the fact that I bought a 1TB drive because I want 1TB of backup storage, not 5GB of a free trial to something!)

Apart from that, it installed a few copies of Microsoft DLLs that are older than the ones that were already installed. And after I blocked its internet access, next time I rebooted the PC it retaliated by disabling my firewall.

But at least the drive works fine as a vanilla-flavored disk drive :smile:

I added "professionally written software" to my list of oxymorons years ago.

• #3,310
AlephZero said:
Last week I bought a Seagate 1 TB USB drive, ...
This is a nice fast drive. I use one for my backups.
[QUOTE}... which came with its own backup software. Installing that was NOT a good idea.[/QUOTE]Do you not have a desk-top pc with an extra drive bay? I installed my Seagate internal to my Dell running Windows 7, so no other hardware supplier "user" software or transfer cable firmware required. It's a great backup drive.

Apart from that, it installed a few copies of Microsoft DLLs that are older than the ones that were already installed. And after I blocked its internet access, next time I rebooted the PC it retaliated by disabling my firewall.

Microsoft isn't in the business of keeping up with the most current non-operating system/computer hardware specific driver. But I found this DriverUpdate software recommended by Microsoft that will check your pc's operating system software and computer specific hardware for the current/most up-to-date drivers. At the time, they offered a special lifetime license for two machines for $30, which I have. The first time I searched for up-dates, there were over 20 out-of-date/ancient drivers and the download/update processes worked beautifully with noticeable results. Mind you, this Dell isn't that old and running Windows 7 but Microsofts "Windows Update's" database won't find these updates as Microsoft has more important things to do than get drivers for say, all High Definition audio or network chip set manufacture drivers. I even had several Intel chip set drivers for PCI ports and SMbus controller drivers that were several years behind the times.

Now it appears the cost is $29.97 for a one-year license, but I'm totally sold that, it's worth it.

• #3,311
dlgoff said:
Do you not have a desk-top pc with an extra drive bay?

This is an external, portable, USB drive (like this one, except mine is a different color).
http://brain.pan.e-merchant.com/4/4/21812044/l_21812044.jpg
It works fine as a disk drive without any external software.

Backups to an internal drive don't eliminate "common mode failure" risks like power supply faults, house fires, etc.

Microsoft isn't in the business of keeping up with the most current non-operating system/computer hardware specific driver.

Sorry, but it wasn't Microsoft that replaced some runtime DLLs for one of its own software products, with versions that were about three years older than the current MS version, and stopped the MS software from working. It was Seagate who wrote the code that did that, without asking.

The Seagate software installer automatically downloaded the latest version of itself from the Seagate website before installling, so that wasn't the problem.

Mind you, this Dell isn't that old and running Windows 7
Those "driver update" apps are only as good as their databases. They usually work OK for fairly new hardware, but they can be useless for anything "old" (i.e. not the latest version). Some bits of this PC's hardware date back to the 20th century!

Even if Microsoft "recommend" it, if the MS Windows Update database doesn't contain the relevant driver information, it's a reasonable inference that the app's database didn't come from Microsoft.

Last edited:
  • #3,312
I just manually back up a couple work files and important personal documents and use Google Drive and Dropbox for cloud back-up, if it's really important, I probably have it somewhere in my e-mail too. Virus software and backup software are two of the worst things you can do to your computer.

• #3,313
WannabeNewton said:
Wait is "Random Thoughts" also "Rant about grades and flaunt arrogance"...? My how things have changed.

If you read that carelessly, it looks like "Rant about grades and flatulence".

Just my random thought for the day.

Hey!

Why aren't I banned?

-------------------------
/me runs off to check private messages...

• #3,314
I'll have to watch the latest Cosmos episode online in a non official/allowed way. That's what you get when you weren't born American. However, I'll watch it on TV a week later when it gets aired here for the first time

cb

• #3,315
This is going to hurt...
T_T

• #3,316
What's wrong Enigman?

• #3,317
I don't think that in this thread you're meant to post actual random thoughts. There is no reason not to explain what is going to hurt in that post, I guess.

Well, anyway, I've just finished watching the episode three of cosmos. By far it is the best one. In this episode I actually learned new stuff. It was pretty interesting and, as I said in the cosmos thread, they didn't exaggerate on the special effects and stuff.

cb

• #3,318
Cosmobrain said:
I don't think that in this thread you're meant to post actual random thoughts. There is no reason not to explain what is going to hurt in that post, I guess.

Well, anyway, I've just finished watching the episode three of cosmos. By far it is the best one. In this episode I actually learned new stuff. It was pretty interesting and, as I said in the cosmos thread, they didn't exaggerate on the special effects and stuff.

cb
Actually, this thread is for random thoughts.

• #3,319
15 <- as random as I could think of

• #3,320
Baby, it's pretty warm outside!

• #3,321
drizzle said:
What's wrong Enigman?

The space-time continuum; that or my minkowski diagrams.
:-p

As for what's going to hurt:
##\mathfrak Mr. \mathcal E##
:devil:

• #3,322
Evo said:
Actually, this thread is for random thoughts.

oh well, who am I to argue then

cb

Last edited:
  • #3,323
I overheard this barista at the Newtonian Cafe chatting with a customer about her psychological difficulties in getting to work on Mondays. She said once, on a Monday morning, she dreamt she had broken her leg and couldn't go to work. When she woke up, she said she was sad her leg wasn't really broken.

• #3,324
I had a nightmare about Justin Bieber last night.

• #3,325
I love this forum. However, you guys can be quite annoying sometimes. Every explanation has to be 100% correct and accurate. I guess that's how science works, right.

cb