COVID-19 Coronavirus Containment Efforts

In summary, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) Coronavirus named 2019-nCoV. Cases have been identified in a growing number of other locations, including the United States. CDC will update the following U.S. map daily. Information regarding the number of people under investigation will be updated regularly on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
  • #4,936
Great News!

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-masks-cdc-guidelines-9d10c8b5f80a4ac720fa1df2a4fb93e5
WASHINGTON (AP) — In a striking move to send the country back toward pre-pandemic life, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday will ease indoor mask-wearing guidance for fully vaccinated people, allowing them to safely stop wearing masks inside in most places, according to a person briefed on the announcement.

The new guidance will still call for wearing masks in crowded indoor settings like buses, planes, hospitals, prisons and homeless shelters, but could ease restrictions for reopening workplaces, schools, and other venues — even removing the need for masks or social distancing for those who are fully vaccinated.

The CDC will also no longer recommend that fully vaccinated people wear masks outdoors in crowds. The announcement comes as the CDC and the Biden administration have faced pressure to ease restrictions on fully vaccinated people — people who are two weeks past their last required COVID-19 vaccine dose — in part to highlight the benefits of getting the shot.

Biology news on Phys.org
  • #4,938
russ_watters said:
The outdoor part makes a lot of sense to me (or I should say the outdoor mandates didn't make much sense), but I have concerns about the indoor part; how do you prove vaccination status? Imo, businesses/indoor public places should still require masks.

It's a government mandate being removed, not a order to not wear a mask. So like what happened in Texas with private entities, they could still require masks.
No shirt, no shoes, no vaccine

I don't think proof of VAX will be required beyond a narrow range of activities.

Likes Astronuc
  • #4,939
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

Interim Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People​

• Update that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask or physically distance in any setting, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance
  • Update that fully vaccinated people can refrain from testing following a known exposure unless they are residents or employees of a correctional or detention facility or a homeless shelter

• #4,940
russ_watters said:
or I should say the outdoor mandates didn't make much sense
I agree. If I am on one side of a screen door, I am perfectly fine. On the other side, I'M GONNA DIE! I'M GONNA DIE!

Is the virus the size of a bumblebee?

• #4,941
russ_watters said:
but I have concerns about the indoor part; how do you prove vaccination status?
In an office setting you can ask the employees individually. In a supermarket that's impractical of course.

• #4,942
States are following the CDC recommendations. https://www.king5.com/article/news/...ople/281-5b9dd348-fae8-4d76-b85c-1a1f7f556b8b
Washington state lifting mask mandate for fully vaccinated people
People who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will no longer need to wear a mask in most indoor and outdoor settings, Gov. Jay Inslee said Thursday.
https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavi...ns-in-most-public-settings-governor-says.html

Mask requirement lifted for fully vaccinated Oregonians in most ‘public settings,’ governor says

Fully vaccinated Oregonians can ditch their face masks in most public settings, Gov. Kate Brown announced Thursday, aligning the state with new federal guidance on the ubiquitous mainstays of pandemic life.

• #4,943
mfb said:
In an office setting you can ask the employees individually. In a supermarket that's impractical of course.
I love how COVID-19 has made my medical records public business lol.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
  • #4,944
No one said anything about public.
"You might have to show that you are vaccinated in order to do X" is nothing new either, for e.g. measles this has existed for far longer.

Likes Astronuc and pinball1970
  • #4,945
mfb said:
No one said anything about public.
"You might have to show that you are vaccinated in order to do X" is nothing new either, for e.g. measles this has existed for far longer.
Heard of it for travel, but never for day-to-day activities like going to work or shopping. Might be an American thing.

• #4,946
Likes Astronuc and russ_watters
  • #4,947
Mayhem said:
Heard of it for travel, but never for day-to-day activities like going to work or shopping.
This is because modern medicine has largely eradicated the most dangerous infectious diseases. One of the risks in the modern world is that many people no longer have the experience or knowledge of infectious diseases that can kill. This leads to everything from complacency of the dangers to outright denial that such diseases have been controlled by mass vaccination programs.

I guess the logic is that you've lived to the age of X years without encountering a disease such as COVID-19 and now that you are encountering it, you can't understand why it should change everyday life in any way?

• #4,948
nsaspook said:
Fully vaccinated Oregonians can ditch their face masks in most public settings...
I'm not fully convinced about this kind of thing. In short, we (general 'we') are selectively boosting the R value for any immunity-bypassing variant.
I do understand that restraint is inconvenient and already too long but as long as there is such 'healthy' sized gene pool manufacturing variants for the virus this may become a very dangerous practice.

Likes Astronuc and russ_watters
  • #4,949
Mayhem said:
Heard of it for travel, but never for day-to-day activities like going to work or shopping. Might be an American thing.
Basic childhood vaccinations are mandatory, but there are exemptions (too many, imo). Proof of vaccination may be required by schools. This varies by state(schools are state regulated). Workplaces with high risk such have healthcare and nursing homes may require employees to be vaccinated.

General businesses requiring it of employees and customers ("day-to-day") would be unusual, but we'll have to wait and see. I suspect it won't happen. Per discussion above, in the absence of that, businesses may require everyone to keep wearing masks.

Likes PeroK
  • #4,950
PeroK said:
This is because modern medicine has largely eradicated the most dangerous infectious diseases. One of the risks in the modern world is that many people no longer have the experience or knowledge of infectious diseases that can kill. This leads to everything from complacency of the dangers to outright denial that such diseases have been controlled by mass vaccination programs.
There is a third, non-crazy issue/option: for eradicated diseases the vaccine carries more risk than the disease. People are bad at weighing such risks and don't trust governments who tend to be more interested in collective risks than individual ones...and optics. Optics are often more important to governments (and businesses) than logic.

• #4,951
That discussion started with the idea "if you are vaccinated you can stop wearing a mask in certain places". That doesn't require anyone to show proof of vaccination to anyone.

• #4,952
Just as a general observation: although masks are still officially mandatory in the UK, they are pretty much optional now. Many people in shops, at the gym and on public transport are not wearing them anymore. There are still signs and announcements but in practice if you don't want to wear a mask you can go largely unchallenged.

The "security" staff at the local supermarket just let people in now, masks or not. For a month or two they were actually, in very un-British fashion, not letting people in without masks - although, I think all you had to do was say you were exempt.

• #4,953
PeroK said:
Just as a general observation: although masks are still officially mandatory in the UK, they are pretty much optional now. Many people in shops, at the gym and on public transport are not wearing them anymore. There are still signs and announcements but in practice if you don't want to wear a mask you can go largely unchallenged.

The "security" staff at the local supermarket just let people in now, masks or not. For a month or two they were actually, in very un-British fashion, not letting people in without masks - although, I think all you had to do was say you were exempt.
Interesting. A week ago they were still pretty much mandatory in my area. Enforcement is spotty, but largely unnecessary; everyone just wears them. I haven't been anywhere except a pharmacy since the CDC guidance changed, and I'll be interested to see how that changes.

• #4,954
COVID-19 pandemic was a ‘preventable disaster,’ made worse by a lack of global coordination and dithering, independent panel finds
Last Updated: May 12, 2021 at 2:03 p.m. ET
First Published: May 12, 2021 at 7:22 a.m. ET
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/c...dithering-independent-panel-finds-11620818573

The COVID-19 pandemic that has cost the lives of 3.3 million people around the world was a “preventable disaster” exacerbated by a lack of global coordination and dithering at every point of the outbreak, an independent panel said Wednesday.

The Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response (IPPPR), a team of experts convened by the World Health Organization’s member states last May to review the world’s handling of the crisis, found weak links at every point in the chain of preparedness and response.

“Preparation was inconsistent and underfunded,” the panel said in a report. “The alert system was too slow—and too meek. The World Health Organization was under-powered. The response has exacerbated inequalities. Global political leadership was absent.”
And what was WHO's role in this? If they thought Chinese government was not being forthcoming, why didn't they sound the alarm? Also, governments are responsible for border control, which includes ensuring folks are not bring in communicable diseases from outside. If there was suspicion that a communicable respiratory (SARS-like) illness was being spread in China, then ALL passengers should have been surveilled before departure, or at the very least, everyone one on the planes should be wearing masks.

• #4,955
mfb said:
That discussion started with the idea "if you are vaccinated you can stop wearing a mask in certain places". That doesn't require anyone to show proof of vaccination to anyone.
It does if we want the guidance to be followed!

It would be interested to poll (if one could accurately) the vaccinated and unvaccinated to see which are more likely to stop wearing masks, given the new guidance.

• #4,956
russ_watters said:
It does if we want the guidance to be followed!
No one is forced to show anything to anyone with such a rule. Everyone has the option to keep wearing a mask.

• #4,957
Astronuc said:
COVID-19 pandemic was a ‘preventable disaster,’ made worse by a lack of global coordination and dithering, independent [WHO] panel finds...

And what was WHO's role in this?
Self-service.

Sure, it's technically true that we could stop a pandemic like this in its tracks, but in practice it requires compromises that people are probably never going to be willing to make anywhere but the most autocratic societies. "Lack of coordination and dithering" made the pandemic worse, but didn't create it, and good coordination and decisiveness would not have prevented it. Maybe the actual report is more helpful than that, but the press release tagline there isn't.

Likes nsaspook
  • #4,958
mfb said:
No one is forced to show anything to anyone with such a rule. Everyone has the option to keep wearing a mask.
You're missing the point/looking at the issue backwards. The point is everyone has the option to stop wearing a mask. And the people who will take that option are likely to be the ones who shouldn't.

• #4,959
russ_watters said:
You're missing the point/looking at the issue backwards. The point is everyone has the option to stop wearing a mask. And the people who will take that option are likely to be the ones who shouldn't.
But if you argue that way, you can say the ones who are mostly likely to take the wrong option would not have worn a mask in the first place, so the change in policy effectively doesn't have to take them into account.

• #4,960
A second thought - perhaps the calculation is that wearing a minimum standard mask (cloth, non-surgical, not N95) only cuts transmission by x. Vaccination still permits transmission by asymptomatic cases, by z (estimates range from 50-90%). If x is approximately z, then vaccination reduces transmission by the same amount as wearing a minimum standard mask, so they are interchangeable. So the question is what are reasonable estimates of x and z?

• #4,961
atyy said:
But if you argue that way, you can say the ones who are mostly likely to take the wrong option would not have worn a mask in the first place, so the change in policy effectively doesn't have to take them into account.
No, the prior policy was that everyone had to wear a mask. That means enforcement doesn't require proof of anything/invasion of privacy. You just station someone at the entrance to the supermarket (restaurant, mall, whatever) to police it. In my experience, this was essentially 100% effective at ensuring compliance. Very few people even tried to violate it and those who did seemed to be looking for Youtube fame (which they usually regretted later). Fewer still violated it successfully.

A "partial mandate" makes enforcement impossible; it's the same as no mandate.

Likes atyy
  • #4,962
russ_watters said:
No, the prior policy was that everyone had to wear a mask. That means enforcement doesn't require proof of anything/invasion of privacy. You just station someone at the entrance to the supermarket (restaurant, mall, whatever) to police it. In my experience, this was essentially 100% effective at ensuring compliance. Very few people even tried to violate it and those who did seemed to be looking for Youtube fame (which they usually regretted later). Fewer still violated it successfully.

A "partial mandate" makes enforcement impossible; it's the same as no mandate.
But at some stage we have to transition to not wearing masks. Presumably that is when everyone has been offered a vaccine? Is the US not there yet?

• #4,963
atyy said:
But at some stage we have to transition to not wearing masks. Presumably that is when everyone has been offered a vaccine? Is the US not there yet?
Exactly. My wife still doesn't feel comfortable going to indoor gatherings of 20 - 50 people where she knows that there are people who refuse to vaccinate. I've tried to explain to her that she is at little risk now that we're vaccinated and that the mask is mostly for the benefit of people who aren't vaccinated.

Someday in the future, people will mostly not wear masks anymore. We would be there quicker if we had herd immunity because everyone got vaccinated like they should. Unfortunately, that may never happen because a sizeable portion of the population won't vaccinate when there is plenty of opportunity to do so. At what point do you take the attitude with the purposely unvaccinated that we're not going to keep trying to protect you from your own stupidity?

• Love
Likes dlgoff, nsaspook, russ_watters and 1 other person
  • #4,964
atyy said:
We're about 2 weeks from the point where everyone who wants to be fully vaccinated with some urgency can be*. Of course eventually we'll have to get to a mask-free policy (and maybe soon). But that's not really what we're discussing. We're discussing the current policy.

Current CDC guidance/policy is that people who are not vaccinated should still wear masks. The value (lack thereof) of this policy is what I'm pointing out that people seem to have a hard time grasping.

*Technically if we include the J&J vaccine we're there now, but almost nobody is taking the J&J vaccine anymore. April 19 was the date the vaccines became available to everyone (minus the J&J pause). That puts us roughly to May 31 for everyone who wants it immediately to have it.

Last edited:
Likes atyy
  • #4,965
Borg said:
Exactly. My wife still doesn't feel comfortable going to indoor gatherings of 20 - 50 people where she knows that there are people who refuse to vaccinate. I've tried to explain to her that she is at little risk now that we're vaccinated and that the mask is mostly for the benefit of people who aren't vaccinated.

Someday in the future, people will mostly not wear masks anymore. We would be there quicker if we had herd immunity because everyone got vaccinated like they should. Unfortunately, that may never happen because a sizeable portion of the population won't vaccinate when there is plenty of opportunity to do so. At what point do you take the attitude with the purposely unvaccinated that we're not going to keep trying to protect you from your own stupidity?
Also, I'm not sure the vaccines will provide herd immunity even if everyone gets vaccinated, because one can still get an a mild or asymptomatic infection after vaccination, and transmit the virus. The estimates on how much the vaccines reduce transmission range from 50-90%. At the lower end, the vaccine would not provide herd immunity, even if everyone got vaccinated. So I think the vaccine is to protect oneself from serious disease (fortunately they seem very effective for that), but probably not so much for herd immunity.

Likes russ_watters
  • #4,966
Yes, I agree with all of that. Herd immunity is a bit of a mis-statement because being vaccinated doesn't truly keep you from getting Covid.

Likes pinball1970 and russ_watters
  • #4,967
Borg said:
Yes, I agree with all of that. Herd immunity is a bit of a mis-statement because being vaccinated doesn't truly keep you from getting Covid.
It does enough to prevent a pandemic so that we can lead normal lives. Everyone accepts that eradicating COVID is impractical, but mass vaccination allows us to return to near normality.

That's essentially what herd immunity is, surely. That there is enough immunity on average to prevent the disease spreading widely.

There are plenty of things we can all die of besides COVID.

Likes Borg, nsaspook and russ_watters
  • #4,968
atyy said:
Also, I'm not sure the vaccines will provide herd immunity even if everyone gets vaccinated, because one can still get an a mild or asymptomatic infection after vaccination, and transmit the virus. The estimates on how much the vaccines reduce transmission range from 50-90%. At the lower end, the vaccine would not provide herd immunity, even if everyone got vaccinated. So I think the vaccine is to protect oneself from serious disease (fortunately they seem very effective for that), but probably not so much for herd immunity.
Agreed, and because the range is wide/uncertain, and the current caseload still pretty high in the USA, I'd prefer to keep the mask mandates in place a little longer (at least in the USA).

• #4,970
Here's my attempt to explain the rationale behind the current CDC guidance:

Prior to vaccination, scientific evidence mainly pointed to regular cloth masks as effective at preventing infected people from spreading the disease but not very effective at preventing exposed people from becoming infected (as time went on and we learned more about the virus, evidence did begin to emerge for cloth masks being able to protect from infection). Under these circumstances (esp given shortages of N95 and similar masks that do protect against infection), a mask mandate makes sense since individuals need to rely on the actions of other to protect themselves from serious disease.

Now that the vaccine is widely available in the US, individuals do have a means to protect themselves against the risk of infection and serious disease. Therefore, people do not need to rely on the actions of other to make normal social activity reasonably safe. Yes, vaccines are not 100% effective at preventing infection, but for vaccinated individuals, infection will likely lead only to a mild cold and very rarely leads to hospitalization or death. In the pre-pandemic times, risking getting a mild-moderate cold was an acceptable risk of life.

A few counterarguments that one could raise: 1) The vaccine is not available to young children (age <11) and is not expected to be available in the US until the Fall. However, even unvaccinated young children are at low risk of serious disease, so this may be an acceptable risk. 2) Certain individuals either cannot be vaccinated (e.g. because of allergies) or vaccinations would not be expected to be effective for them (e.g. because they are immunocompromised). These populations would be at risk of serious disease (and in the case of immunocompromised individuals, elevated risk), and these populations would benefit from maintaining universal masking requirements.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc, pinball1970 and atyy