Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
1oldman2 said:
View attachment 97675 Just a shot in the dark, is this getting closer?
That's correct, yes! :partytime:

The picture of the cathedral is actually St. Louis Cathedral which is adjacent to Jackson Square (just barely outside of it). That said, the image that you posted was taken by a photographer standing inside Jackson Square. So that counts.

Jackson Square was the location I was looking for.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...2!3m1!1s0x8620a611a0452e69:0xdeff093f17dfbe8f

I'll explain my clues here, in case anybody has any objections. For reference, here are my original clues:
collinsmark said:
  • There is a city. Some have called it big and others think it's easy. Perhaps it's both.
  • Within the city is a neighborhood. If Blanche had exactly one grandparent from France, this neighborhood's name would be that part of Blanche.
  • Within the neighborhood is an outdoor place, a 2-dimensional cube, so to speak.
  • It shares part of its name (no family relation) with the surname of a king of sorts.
  • This king is the king of something, where this something goes by another name for a sugary soda drink, and is the sound a balloon makes when it bursts.
Where is this place?

Working forward through the clues:
  • The city is New Orleans, Louisiana. A nickname for New Orleans is "The Big Easy."
  • The neighborhood is "The French Quarter." If Blanche has only a single grandparent from France, that would make her 1/4 French, and that part of her would be her French quarter.
  • One might call a two dimensional cube a square. So the place is some sort of outdoor square.
  • The place shares part of its name (although no family relation) with the surname of Michael Jackson, the "King of Pop."

Working backward through the clues:
  • Another name for a sugary soda drink is "pop." That's also the sound a balloon makes when it bursts.
  • Michael Jackson is called the "King of Pop."
  • His surname is Jackson.
  • The place is Jackson Square.

Last edited:
Likes EnumaElish, Sophia, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
Science news on Phys.org
So @1oldman2, I believe you are up.

(If @wolram wants to battle you for it, you two can figure that out. :smile:)

Likes 1oldman2
It is your go !oldman2

Likes 1oldman2
collinsmark said:
That's correct, yes! :partytime:

The picture of the cathedral is actually St. Louis Cathedral which is adjacent to Jackson Square (just barely outside of it). That said, the image that you posted was taken by a photographer standing inside Jackson Square. So that counts.

Jackson Square was the location I was looking for.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...2!3m1!1s0x8620a611a0452e69:0xdeff093f17dfbe8f

I'll explain my clues here, in case anybody has any objections. For reference, here are my original clues:Working forward through the clues:
  • The city is New Orleans, Louisiana. A nickname for the City of New Orleans is "The Big Easy."
  • The neighborhood is "The French Quarter." If Blanche has only a single grandparent from France, that would make her 1/4 French, and that part of her would be her French quarter.
  • One might call a two dimensional cube a square. So the place is some sort of outdoor square.
  • The place shares part of its name (although no family relation) with the surname of Michael Jackson, the "King of Pop."

Working backward through the clues:
  • Another name for a sugary soda drink is "pop." That's also the sound a balloon makes when it bursts.
  • Michael Jackson is called the "King of Pop."
  • His surname is Jackson.
  • The place is Jackson Square.
That is an amazingly ambiguous (but totally sensible) bunch of clues. I wouldn't have been even close without wolrams guesses , I got hung up over at Loyola university. :smile:

Okay here goes.
Satan keeps on track while we race towards the valley of the shadow.
The Playa may give this one away. :wink:

Hee hee. :DD I think I know the answer. But I'm reluctant to post my guess since I just went. (Somebody else guess!)

Likes 1oldman2
collinsmark said:
Hee hee. :DD I think I know the answer. But I'm reluctant to post my guess since I just went. (Somebody else guess!)
I know what your thinking, I should have added something else for the folks who aren't so familiar with US landmarks. (how about in the US one can't get much lower than Morte)

collinsmark said:

If you know it please have a go:biggrin:

If one gets in a rage one sees red, two eyes are better than one, this thing starts with the same as it ends, another way of saying i saw one once.

My gosh, these are hard. Either you all are extremely brilliant or I am extraordinarily naive and ignorant. I haven't a clue . . .

Likes Sophia
ProfuselyQuarky said:
My gosh, these are hard. Either you all are extremely brilliant or I am extraordinarily naive and ignorant. I haven't a clue . . .
You have to look hard, these are the best of there kind

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
You're not alone :-)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
wolram said:
You have to look hard, these are the best of there kind
Well it may be the best, but I can't even think of what the "kind" is. My brain is working hard on this one.
Sophia said:
You're not alone :-)
Phew! Thought I was :biggrin:

This is off topic, but @1oldman2 the fact that you are 1 like away from getting a new trophy is irritating me. Here's a like for you:

:thumbup:

Likes 1oldman2
They are on an island

wolram said:
They are on an island
When you said "valley of sliding stones" I was thinking of Death Valley, but now it's on an island? Easter Island? The Moai statues? :confused:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
When you said "valley of sliding stones" I was thinking of Death Valley, but now it's on an island? Easter Island? The Moai statues? :confused:

Your getting you clues mixed Profusely we have finished with the sliding stones one
This is the first clue:

If one gets in a rage one sees red, two eyes are better than one, this thing starts with the same as it ends, another way of saying i saw one once.
They are on an island very high up.

The last thing I can think of is a volcano--like Kilauea in Hawaii.

That's all I have. Sorry Wolram :sorry:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
death valley devils race track was the correct answer:smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
will be back for more fun soon :wink:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
The last thing I can think of is a volcano--like Kilauea in Hawaii.

That's all I have. Sorry Wolram :sorry:
You are so close geographically, you have to think of two things high up, and two red eyes.

Okay:
Two red eyes
On an island
Very high up
To see is to___________:
Begins the same as it starts.

wolram said:
To see is to
believe (?)

ProfuselyQuarky said:
believe (?)

NO, if you see some thing you ----------It

I'm thinking two red (infrared) eyes
106603434.jpg

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
1oldman2 said:
I'm thinking two red (infrared) eyesView attachment 97695
Where's that located? In Hawaii?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Yes, Mauna Kea on the big Island.

1oldman2 said:
Yes, Mauna Kea on the big Island.
Then that's probably the answer. Gah! I can't believe I worked on the riddle for so long yet you found something plausible so quickly. Praise to you, 1oldman2!
:bow:
Yet Wolram shall tell us if you're officially correct :biggrin:

Likes 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
I'm thinking two red (infrared) eyesView attachment 97695
ProfuselyQuarky said:

I believe the image is the Keck telescopes (I think)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._M._Keck_Observatory

I was thinking about the Large Binocular Telescope earlier, but I gave up there (not on an Island).

Let's see how this Keck observatory stacks up:
Two red eyes: Well, there are two "eyes" sort of. Near-infrared counts as red I guess. So "Check."
On an island: Check
Very high up: Check
To see is to___________: Observe? Observatory? I'm still stuck on this one. I've been playing with peak <==> peek, but haven't gotten far.
Begins the same as it starts. Check. "Keck" both starts and ends with "K".

Well, that's at least around 4 out of 5.

@wolram will tell us for sure.

Likes 1oldman2
collinsmark said:
Two red eyes: Well, there are two "eyes" sort of, but unfortunately, they operate in the visible range.
Well, at the least the eyes are infra . . . red.

Likes 1oldman2