Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
  • #1,016
tionis said:
OK, here it is. All the clues that you ever going to need are there:

Oh child of our first President
What brought you to this town?
To agitate il popolo
And subjects of the Crown?
I'm stuck after researching Enrico De Nicola, the first president of the Italian Republic. I can't seem to find any mention of his children, if he even had any. I did find that he died unmarried, for what that's worth.

So I think I must be off track.

Likes tionis
Science news on Phys.org
  • #1,017
tionis said:
A town. We are looking for a town lol.
Well, that explains quite a lot. It appeared that we were supposed to be looking for the answer to "What brought you to this town?" so I didn't expect it to be the town! However, I'm still not making any progress.

The phrase "subjects of the Crown" usually refers to the British Empire, but it could be something else. "Il popolo" is "the people" in Italian and was also the name of Benito Mussolini's newspaper, but that doesn't seem to help. The only recent relationship between Britain and Italy which comes to mind is Malta, which has links with both, but I can't find any obvious link with the president clue. I can't find a link with a bloody knife either (although to me the combination of Italy, Britain and a bloody knife suggests Verdi's Macbeth).

Is any of that correct?

Likes tionis
  • #1,018
Jonathan Scott said:
The phrase "subjects of the Crown" usually refers to the British Empire
Correct

Jonathan Scott said:
"Il popolo" is "the people" in Italian
Correct.
collinsmark said:
I'm stuck after researching Enrico De Nicola, the first president of the Italian Republic. I can't seem to find any mention of his children, if he even had any. I did find that he died unmarried, for what that's worth.

So I think I must be off track.
Totally off track.

OK, so here is the entire riddle with a new clue added. Good luck. :smile:

Oh child of our first President
What brought you to this town?
To agitate il popolo
And subjects of the Crown?

Well done, Mr. 1oldman
Three nations in strife
To finish this sad riddle
Just add a bloody knife

Knife that much trouble is causing
No one can sense make
Only I hold the answer
Xeroxed in my brain

Ah, distinctly I remember, tho it was not a bleak December
Mystery that made many shudder
As they read the news and chatter
No one failed to opine and blabber and no motive left unturned
Deep into this riddle peering, now the lounge grows very weary
As they search for clues in Italy where this sad event occurred

• #1,019
I've now spotted your new initial clues and know the answer, but I don't think it's a good thing to be reminded about. But I still don't get the "president" reference unless it's a very vague reference to her previous educational institution.

Likes tionis
  • #1,020
Jonathan Scott said:
I've now spotted your new initial clues and know the answer, but I don't think it's a good thing to be reminded about. But I still don't get the "president" reference unless it's a very vague reference to her previous educational institution.
I knew you would. The president reference is in allegorical form; she was born there, so she is indeed a child of that state.

• #1,021
Over to you, Mr. Scott.

• #1,022
Sorry, but I think this one was in poor taste. I'm not going to give the answer or explanation of the clues myself, and I don't feel like trying to set up another puzzle right now.

Likes tionis
  • #1,023
Jonathan Scott said:
Sorry, but I think this one was in poor taste. I'm not going to give the answer or explanation of the clues myself, and I don't feel like trying to set up another puzzle right now.
I'm sorry you feel that way. But the subject was a town where an unfortunate historical event occurred. Would you feel any different if it would have been The Battle of Hastings instead?

• #1,024
tionis said:
Would you feel any different if it would have been The Battle of Hastings instead?
That didn't involve people who are still very much alive now and living with the personal consequences of the event.

If you consider this one answered, please explain the answer for the benefit of others.

Likes tionis
  • #1,025
Jonathan Scott said:
That didn't involve people who are still very much alive now and living with the personal consequences of the event.
I fail to see your logic. Just recently, I watched a newly-made documentary about this event, not to mention reading a memoir released from one of the characters involved. Are they also in ''bad taste'' for doing it? What is the difference? They write books, make documentaries (for profit), but you judge me for making a riddle?

• #1,026
Jonathan Scott said:
If you consider this one answered, please explain the answer for the benefit of others.

Don't be hasty, let's give other people a chance :wink:

• #1,027
tionis said:
Just recently, I watched a newly-made documentary about this event, not to mention reading a memoir released from one of the characters involved. Are they also in ''bad taste'' for doing it?
Well, in my opinion, they probably are, but that's not the point. I've assumed this thread is for primarily for entertainment and education, and when I realized the answer referred to a nasty fairly recent murder and wrongful imprisonment case I didn't find it very entertaining or educational.

Likes 1oldman2 and tionis
  • #1,028
Okay this makes sense now, after following the recent exchange its pretty clear the town in question is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perugia if that's incorrect I have to join the "confused" group and reconsider things seriously. (I personally avoid murder and violent topics so although I have heard of this case I'm not very familiar with it.)

Likes tionis
  • #1,029
Jonathan Scott said:
Well, in my opinion, they probably are, but that's not the point. I've assumed this thread is for primarily for entertainment and education, and when I realized the answer referred to a nasty fairly recent murder and wrongful imprisonment case I didn't find it very entertaining or educational.
The answer refers to a town, not an event or a particular person. Those are just clues that lead you to the answer. Perhaps the OP should further specify that locations around the world where crimes have occurred are not welcome.:wink:

• #1,030
1oldman2 said:
Okay this makes sense now, after following the recent exchange its pretty clear the town in question is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perugia if that's incorrect I have to join the "confused" group and reconsider things seriously. (I personally avoid murder and violent topics so although I have heard of this case I'm not very familiar with it.)
Perugia is the correct answer, but Jonathan beat you to it. If he doesn't mind, you can go ahead and post one if you like :smile:

Likes 1oldman2
  • #1,031
I didn't even give the answer, nor point out what name the first letters of each line of the last two verses of the clues spell. @1oldman2 is welcome to continue.

I have to go to an orchestra rehearsal for a few hours now.

Likes 1oldman2 and tionis
  • #1,032
So if JS has no time to submit a riddle the quiz is open to any one.:biggrin:

Likes tionis
  • #1,033
well lol i could give it another go at it if you guys want

Likes tionis
  • #1,034
hsdrop said:
well lol i could give it another go at it if you guys want
Proceed, Sir.

• #1,035
Here is a quick one to fill in,
This watery construction is made from seven individual sections,joined together by walk ways, find the co lour of the sand to help solve the riddle.

Likes tionis and collinsmark
  • #1,036
sorry guys it took me a little wile to word ever thing right lol but hear it is

The place can only be seen from the street
and remember to keep a stiff upper lip
regardless of what you mite think my
dimension are not what they seem
it's not the end of the line or underground
so don't let earl's court convict you
hope you guys like this one and only a pic will do to solve this one hehehe

Likes tionis
  • #1,037
hsdrop said:
Too many clues again! My daughter passes a few yards from that spot every day on her way to lectures.

Likes tionis
  • #1,038
wolram said:
This watery construction is made from seven individual sections,joined together by walk ways, find the co lour of the sand to help solve the riddle.
Not so quick for me. I've spent some time searching but can't find any way to narrow it down.

Likes tionis
  • #1,039
Jonathan Scott said:
Not so quick for me. I've spent some time searching but can't find any way to narrow it down.

They were built for one specific reason in the 1940s.

Likes tionis
  • #1,040
wolram said:
They were built for one specific reason in the 1940s.
Ah, got it now, thanks.

Edit: Turns out the method I was using to search would have worked nicely if I'd used the obvious colour.

Likes tionis
  • #1,041
wolram said:
I guess I should give the answer: Red Sands Fort, one of the Maunsell Forts in the Thames Estuary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunsell_Forts
(I tried searching for the combination of various colours with the keywords sands and walkway but for some reason limited myself to what I considered plausible sand colours such as: golden, yellow, silver, grey, black. If I'd searched for red sands walkway the answer would have come up immediately).

Likes tionis, 1oldman2 and wolram
  • #1,042
I'll give the one from @hsdrop a bit more time (and space) to let others have a go.

Likes tionis and hsdrop
  • #1,043
Jonathan Scott said:
Ah, got it now, thanks.

Edit: Turns out the method I was using to search would have worked nicely if I'd used the obvious colour.
I was wondering if it was Bahama sand or Volcanic sand color.

Likes tionis
  • #1,044
Jonathan Scott said:
I guess I should give the answer: Red Sands Fort, one of the Maunsell Forts in the Thames Estuary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunsell_Forts
(I tried searching for the combination of various colours with the keywords sands and walkway but for some reason limited myself to what I considered plausible sand colours such as: golden, yellow, silver, grey, black. If I'd searched for red sands walkway the answer would have come up immediately).

Well done, you are quick on the draw:biggrin:

Likes tionis and 1oldman2
  • #1,045
hsdrop said:
sorry guys it took me a little wile to word ever thing right lol but hear it is

hope you guys like this one and only a pic will do to solve this one hehehe
OK, I think it's time to answer this one.

As far as I can see, it's no longer possible to go inside from Street View, although there are photos of what it looked like. That must be a fairly recent change.
Here's a Google Street View link which I hope should show the outside:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...0DTL5YyNexrFXjAgaI5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

This was not actually intended to be the TARDIS (as suggested by the first letter of each line) but simply the most recently installed police box in London, which was built and installed in 1996 as an actual police box, with CCTV security cameras and a phone for contacting the police. It appears that the reason for the old appearance is that in 1996 the BBC were seeking to register as a trademark the police box design for the TARDIS, which the police themselves had not used for many years, and this was an attempt by the police to establish that they were still using the old design. However, it failed, as the police had made no attempt to register the design during that time, and the BBC now owns the trademark.

The Google Street View of the inside of the TARDIS was added later in about 2013 as part of the celebrations of 50 years since the first episode of "Doctor Who?". It seems to have been removed quite recently.

Likes 1oldman2, tionis and hsdrop
  • #1,046
As I'm sure about that one, I'll post the next one now:

A building shouldn't move this way, especially if it's tall,
But though that's what its name implies, it doesn't move at all.
A country village down the road gave the place its name,
Though the quite unique abode now has greater fame.
Stories say a ghost helped out when it was designed;
Even if this isn't true, it's still best of its kind.

Likes 1oldman2, tionis, hsdrop and 1 other person
  • #1,047
Jonathan Scott said:
As I'm sure about that one, I'll post the next one now:

A building shouldn't move this way, especially if it's tall,
But though that's what its name implies, it doesn't move at all.
A country village down the road gave the place its name,
Though the quite unique abode now has greater fame.
Stories say a ghost helped out when it was designed;
Even if this isn't true, it's still best of its kind.
Leaning Tower of Pisa!

• #1,048
tionis said:
Leaning Tower of Pisa!
You mean Pizza don't you ? :wink:
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Likes tionis
  • #1,049
tionis said:
Leaning Tower of Pisa!
No, it doesn't lean, nor does it do what its name suggests.

And it's in "my region".

Likes tionis
  • #1,050
Likes hsdrop and tionis