Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
  • #1,051
1oldman2 said:
You mean Pizza don't you ? :wink:
View attachment 107962
post-65446-alexandra-daddario-laughing-gi-4bPT.gif

Science news on Phys.org
  • #1,052
Jonathan Scott said:
No, it doesn't lean, nor does it do what its name suggests.

And it's in "my region".
I've search for names of buildings in the UK but none suggest a motion so far. :frown:

• #1,053
tionis said:
I've search for names of buildings in the UK but none suggest a motion so far. :frown:
Try the other way; it's probably the most obvious undesirable type of motion for a tall structure. And it's hidden in the clue.

• #1,054
is the building have something to do with kinetic architecture?

• #1,055
hsdrop said:
is the building have something to do with kinetic architecture?
Sorry, definitely not.

• #1,056
when you said movement are you implying directional (up-down, side to side, exc..) or the name of a type of movement (walk, roll, slide, exc..)?
or maybe another little clue if you would:headbang:

• #1,057
It's a movement action (like "walk", but something that can actually happen a bit for a tall building). And as I said before, it's hidden in the clue (in the first line).

Likes hsdrop
  • #1,058
  • #1,059
OCR said:
Rotunda ...?
No; I can't see why you think that relates to the clue.

• #1,060
Jonathan Scott said:
No; I can't see why you think that relates to the clue.
A building shouldn't move this way, especially if it's tall,
But though that's what its name implies, it doesn't move at all.
Well, I thought you might be implying ... rotation.

Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,063
wolram said:
Yes, that's the place!
The Wikipedia article mentions the relevant building. The tower is known as "Sway Tower" or as "Peterson's Folly" after the person who had it built. I hid "Sway" in the first line of the poem.
Jonathan Scott said:
A building shouldn't move this way, especially if it's tall,
But though that's what its name implies, it doesn't move at all.
A country village down the road gave the place its name,
Though the quite unique abode now has greater fame.
Stories say a ghost helped out when it was designed;
Even if this isn't true, it's still best of its kind.
It's now better known that the nearby village of Sway itself.

There are stories that Peterson used a medium to get help from the long-dead Christopher Wren on the design!

It's the tallest structure in the world that's built of plain concrete, as opposed to reinforced concrete.

It's also considered one of the finest "follies" ever built in the UK, and is currently a luxury home (with the top three floors rented out as space for communications equipment).

It's probably just about visible from the Needles, my previous landmark.

Likes collinsmark and tionis
  • #1,064
The stage is open for a new riddle, unless i think of one first:biggrin:

Likes tionis
  • #1,065
I want an area for this one:
This machine was made circa 205BC by Greek scientists, and was found in a ship wreak circa 1901
It consisted of many meshing gears.

Likes tionis
  • #1,068
wolram said:
TO quick i must make my riddles harder:biggrin:
I think I'd have guessed that last one from just the words "Greek" and "machine".

Yes, it's a lot more work making up the riddles than solving them. Please feel free to have another go; it could be some time before I can get round to one.

Likes tionis
  • #1,069
Find the lady in this circa 33000 year old nannies hole
Part of the answer is in the sperm whales.

Last edited:
Likes tionis
  • #1,070
Likes tionis
  • #1,071
OMG, JS, you should be in Jeopardy!

Try this one:

Perhaps you need a strong bull
Perhaps you need a Q
Perhaps you need a lever
Perhaps you need a tip
Which town am I?

• #1,072
tionis said:
Perhaps you need a strong bull
Perhaps you need a Q
Perhaps you need a lever
Perhaps you need a tip
Which town am I?
Mentions of "bull" and "lever" bring Archimedes of Syracuse to mind, but in that case I can't make the rest fit.

Likes tionis
  • #1,073
Why does the word "Canterbury" keep turning up in my mind... o_O

images.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Ah nuts, scratch this post, I'm lost.:sorry:

Likes tionis
  • #1,074
Jonathan Scott said:
Mentions of "bull" and "lever" bring Archimedes of Syracuse to mind, but in that case I can't make the rest fit.
No, it is a town in the U.S.
1oldman2 said:
Why does the word "Canterbury" keep turning up in my mind... o_O

Ah nuts, scratch this post, I'm lost.:sorry:
See above.

• #1,075
tionis said:
No, it is a town in the U.S.
I can find vague connections of the terms (bulls, "Q", lever, tip) with many places but nothing that seems to be particularly relevant.

I'm stuck; I even scanned a list of all such towns to pick out those with "Q" into see if that helped, but I didn't spot anything useful.

Likes tionis
  • #1,076
please can we get a nother clue

Likes tionis and 1oldman2
  • #1,077
Jonathan Scott said:
I can find vague connections of the terms (bulls, "Q", lever, tip) with many places but nothing that seems to be particularly relevant.

I'm stuck; I even scanned a list of all such towns to pick out those with "Q" into see if that helped, but I didn't spot anything useful.
I keep getting directed to the Merrill-Lynch bull in New York, nothing else makes any sense. I'm hoping for another clue. (of course Chicago Bulls also, but nothing makes sense there either.)

Likes tionis
  • #1,078
"Q" is initial letter for "troubled" securities; "tip" is something you seek to avoid troubled securities; "leverage" is whatever buyer/seller's premium ...?

Likes tionis and 1oldman2
  • #1,079
Oh, Look what God has given!
For that is my true name
My crafts have reached your ears
And that's my claim to fame

• #1,080
Bystander said:
"Q" is initial letter for "troubled" securities; "tip" is something you seek to avoid troubled securities; "leverage" is whatever buyer/seller's premium ...?
lol no.

• #1,081
1oldman2 said:
I keep getting directed to the Merrill-Lynch bull in New York, nothing else makes any sense. I'm hoping for another clue. (of course Chicago Bulls also, but nothing makes sense there either.)
In my searches, I noted that both Q-tips and bulls are associated with Chicago. I've not found any specific connection with lever, although Lever Brothers seem to have had a significant presence in the area.

tionis said:
Oh, Look what God has given!
For that is my true name
My crafts have reached your ears
And that's my claim to fame
Not registering anything yet.

If the first line is meant to be a translation of the original name, it would help if we knew the language. My own name "Jonathan" means loosely "God has given" in Hebrew!

Likes tionis
  • #1,082
Jonathan Scott said:
In my searches, I noted that both Q-tips and bulls are associated with Chicago. I've not found any specific connection with lever, although Lever Brothers seem to have had a significant presence in the area. Not registering anything yet.

If the first line is meant to be a translation of the original name, it would help if we knew the language. My own name "Jonathan" means loosely "God has given" in Hebrew!
Too hot to the touch! You have basically solved the riddle without knowing it lol.

• #1,083
tionis said:
Too hot to the touch! You have basically solved the riddle without knowing it lol.
Well, in that case I'm just getting cooked. It would help to know which of my speculations were relevant and which were off target.

Likes tionis
  • #1,084
I should also point out that I had already established that Q-tips and bulls are (obviously) associated with New York as well.
Edit: And of course Lever Brothers, as in Lever House.

Likes tionis
  • #1,085
Jonathan Scott said:
Well, in that case I'm just getting cooked. It would help to know which of my speculations were relevant and which were off target.
All of them are relevant minus the Chicago one. Put it together with this final clue:Was tight with our first President
He even called me ''bro''
What happened to my surname
That ends in taurus bos?