Find the Building: Solve the Clues & Show the Map!

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the city is located in France, close to a river and a train station, and it is in the center of the city.
  • #1,086
Not Knox again? But I still don't get it.

Likes tionis
Science news on Phys.org
  • #1,087
ezgif-714839666.gif

• #1,088
Well, that's not what Amanda is actually saying. It looks like "I am you" although my lip-reading isn't good. But anyway, I still don't get it, regardless of whether the Knox is Henry or Amanda. There are various Knox-related places such as Fort Knox, Knoxville and the small town of Knox, NY, but nothing that seems relevant.

Likes tionis
  • #1,089
Me too (not getting anywhere); I've been trying to find some sort of hook or link to some sort of knowledge that I or google might know, or even might be able to look up and learn, but I keep coming up with nothing.

Perhaps a clue/hint that has some sort of semblance to general knowledge, even if indirect, would be helpful.

[Okay, maybe it's just me and I'm still on the wrong track on "our first president" of which I'm probably misinterpreting.]

Likes tionis
  • #1,090
collinsmark said:
[Okay, maybe it's just me and I'm still on the wrong track on "our first president" of which I'm probably misinterpreting.]
I'm assuming that's about a friend of Washington, Henry Knox, whose name ends in "ox" (a more common term for "taurus bos"). And the picture appears to be Amanda Knox.

Likes tionis
  • #1,091
haha I'm not buying it :-p

• #1,092
tionis said:
haha I'm not buying it :-p
Is that meant to be a clue? It's not helpful to me.

Likes tionis
  • #1,093
ok I'm lost you share this is in the U.S. ?

Likes tionis
  • #1,094
Jonathan Scott said:
Is that meant to be a clue?
Yes!

• #1,095
hsdrop said:
ok I'm lost you share this is in the U.S. ?
This site is in the U.S., I think, so yeah I share it here.

• #1,096
tionis said:
Yes!
It's still not helpful to me.

Likes tionis
  • #1,097
Jonathan Scott said:
It's still not helpful to me.
Then I don't know how else to help you :frown:

• #1,098
I can find vague connections between things in the clues, but nothing which seems to help. For example, Lever House was designed by Gordon Bunshaft who also designed an extension to the Albright-Knox art gallery. Also Queens Theatre in the Park (as seen in Men in Black) is sometimes referred to as "QTIP". However, I can't find any connection between those nor any connection with "Look what God has given" (which however reminds me of Samuel Morse and "What hath God wrought"). So I'm stuck and I'm not going to spend any more time on it unless I get a more helpful clue.

Likes 1oldman2, savan patel and tionis
  • #1,099
Jonathan Scott said:
I can find vague connections between things in the clues, but nothing which seems to help. For example, Lever House was designed by Gordon Bunshaft who also designed an extension to the Albright-Knox art gallery. Also Queens Theatre in the Park (as seen in Men in Black) is sometimes referred to as "QTIP". However, I can't find any connection between those nor any connection with "Look what God has given" (which however reminds me of Samuel Morse and "What hath God wrought"). So I'm stuck and I'm not going to spend any more time on it unless I get a more helpful clue.
You did your best. Thanks for playing :smile:

• #1,100
I think it is time to come clean and revel the answer to your riddle as every one is stuck:biggrin:

Likes tionis, hsdrop and 1oldman2
  • #1,101
Okay time for another riddle, first come first go.

Likes tionis
  • #1,102
wolram said:
I think it is time to come clean and revel the answer to your riddle as every one is stuck:biggrin:
I already have. It's embedded in one of the clues :wink:

• #1,103
wolram said:
Okay time for another riddle, first come first go.

OK.

In the land of our first President
I stand piercing the sky
Although in terra firma
Space does come to mind

• #1,104
tionis said:
I already have. It's embedded in one of the clues :wink:
Please can you be more helpful? I spent a lot of time looking at those clues without making any progress. If the name of the town is not well known, we may not have heard of it and would not recognize it.

Likes tionis
  • #1,105
tionis said:
OK.

In the land of our first President
I stand piercing the sky
Although in terra firma
Space does come to mind
That sounds like the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington. Trivial compared with the previous one (still unsolved).

Likes tionis
  • #1,106
Jonathan Scott said:
Please can you be more helpful? I spent a lot of time looking at those clues without making any progress. If the name of the town is not well known, we may not have heard of it and would not recognize it.
When I was checking on the "God has Given" bit previously I came across the fact that "Brother Jonathan" is a personification of New England, and a term used by George Washington and matching the "bro" part of the clue, but the character is fictitious and doesn't have a surname.

However, I've just noticed that in Wikipedia it says that some think this term relates to "Jonathan Trumbull", a historical Governor of Connecticut, and I see his surname also ends in another reference to "Taurus bos".

There's a town called Trumbull after him which has a crafts festival, and which has a Unilever R&D site which deals with products including Q-tips. Is that what you have in mind? If so, please explain how it is "embedded" in a previous clue.

Likes tionis
  • #1,107
Jonathan Scott said:
That sounds like the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington.
Ah! I knew it was too easy lol :partytime:

Jonathan Scott said:
When I was checking on the "God has Given" bit previously I came across the fact that "Brother Jonathan" is a personification of New England, and a term used by George Washington and matching the "bro" part of the clue, but the character is fictitious and doesn't have a surname.

Jonathan was pals with GW, see below:

Wiki said:
Trumbull was a friend and advisor of General Washington throughout the revolutionary period, dedicating the resources of Connecticut to the fight for independence. Washington declared him "the first of the patriots."[5] When Washington was desperate for men or food during the war, he could turn to "Brother Jonathan."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Trumbull#cite_note-6
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Trumbull#cite_note-6

Jonathan Scott said:
There's a town called Trumbull after him which has a crafts festival, and which has a Unilever R&D site which deals with products including Q-tips. Is that what you have in mind? If so, please explain how it is "embedded" in a previous clue.
You have now solved the riddle! :partytime:

The answer is embedded in the gif

48fd4f8cc6.gif

0c86979062.gif

Over 2 U!

• #1,108
tionis said:
The answer is embedded in the gif
I did spot that something was flashing up very briefly, but it just looked like a volume scale or similar, and I don't have any software on any of the devices I normally use to access PF which can freeze a gif or split it up into frames. (I have previously used online sites for that, but didn't expect to need to in this case, especially as I don't like being reminded of the very unpleasant Amanda Knox case).

I've not got any ideas for a new one at the moment, so it may take a while for me to come up with one.

Likes tionis
  • #1,109
A silly one while I'm thinking of a proper one...

Identify the famous building which was demolished by a twinkle in the 1970s.

Likes tionis
  • #1,110
(The building is real but the demolition was a not-very-special effect).

Likes tionis
  • #1,111
Jonathan Scott said:
A silly one while I'm thinking of a proper one...

Identify the famous building which was demolished by a twinkle in the 1970s.
A toughy. Not sure if the demolition is literal or figurative as in demolished by a criticism or something lol.

• #1,112
The demolition was fictitious and Twinkle was furry.

Likes tionis and 1oldman2
  • #1,113
BT Tower :woot:

Likes tionis
  • #1,114
1oldman2 said:
BT Tower :woot:
Yes, that's it!

I was referring to the hilarious award-winning Goodies episode "Kitten Kong" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitten_Kong), in which they are looking after Twinkle the kitten and give it a bit too much growth compound, after which it does a "King Kong" on the BT tower but knocks it over. A picture from that episode featured in the titles of all subsequent episodes.

You're welcome to go next, as I don't have anything better at the moment.

• #1,115
A high tech center is what your looking for.
It shares its home town with the opening and
closing scenes in a very well read story, this
story begins with a Kepler quote,

"But who shall dwell in these worlds if they be inhabited?
...Are we or they lords of the world?...And how are all things
made for man?"

Schiaparelli must have been very amused by the
story I'm speaking of, if he were alive today he
would solve this puzzle in no time flat.
It's about the center, not the story, A name or G-Earth
screenshot would suffice.

Likes tionis
  • #1,116
Likes tionis, 1oldman2 and hsdrop
  • #1,118
I've driven past the McLaren Technology Centre entrance just north of Woking a couple of times recently when trying to find my way home from London to near Southampton in the evening after the M3 motorway has been closed for roadworks. (On the second occasion, I found the A31 was closed just west of Farnham, and the diversion signs took me around a 15 mile loop back to where I started before I worked out which one I had to ignore).

Likes tionis
  • #1,119
Jonathan Scott said:
Good show, that is correct. I thought I'd try a literary twist on the riddle this time. :smile:

Likes tionis
  • #1,120
1oldman2 said:
Good show, that is correct. I thought I'd try a literary twist on the riddle this time. :smile:
Interesting landmark, thanks. The quote was familiar to me, and was confirmed by the Schiaparelli reference, but it was also very easy (perhaps too easy) to find using Google. I thought the War of the Worlds story started in Ottershaw (between Chertsey and Woking), but after a bit of Googling I guessed you meant Woking as the town. It took me a little searching and thinking to decide what hi-tech centre you had in mind, as I think of McLaren as being near Woking rather than in it.

The McLaren Technology Centre looks amazing. See the Wikipedia entry for more about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_Technology_Centre

I don't have another one at the moment. I'll see if I can think of one later, but again anyone else is welcome to submit a new one.

Back