Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #1,366
On TV it just said that crocodiles kill more people than any other predator on earth. However, this site puts them at #3, behind snakes and scorpions:

http://www.animaldanger.com/most-dangerous-animals.php

Regardless, crocodiles kill way more people than sharks. In fact, elephants kill way more people than sharks. In fact, Cape Buffalo kill way more people than sharks. It's all psychological. You yell, Cape Buffalo!, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell, "Shark!, and we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July!

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,367
zoobyshoe said:
On TV it just said that crocodiles kill more people than any other predator on earth. However, this site puts them at #3, behind snakes and scorpions:

http://www.animaldanger.com/most-dangerous-animals.php

Regardless, crocodiles kill way more people than sharks. In fact, elephants kill way more people than sharks. In fact, Cape Buffalo kill way more people than sharks. It's all psychological. You yell, Cape Buffalo!, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell, "Shark!, and we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July!

I've heard that cows kill 10 times as many people as sharks.

pf.2014.09.11.0903.killer.cows..jpg

We should fear them too.

• #1,368
OmCheeto said:

Which animals kill more people per year in the United States, cows or great white sharks? Although a German tourist was recently killed by a shark in Hawaiian waters, the answer is overwhelmingly “cows.” How can this be? You rarely hear about a cow killing a human, but it happens about 20 times every year. Between 2003 and 2008, 108 people in the United States died from injuries caused by cattle, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That’s 27 times the whopping 4 people killed in shark attacks in the United States during the same time period, according to the International Shark Attack File.
http://www.physiciansweekly.com/statistics-cows-vs-great-white-sharks/

• #1,369
OMG. These cow memes are killing me.

THEY CAME WITH A1

WE CAME WITH C4​

:smile:

• #1,370
zoobyshoe said:
Sorry, that's wrong. It's :

hic haec hoc
huius huius huius
huic huic huic
hunc hanc hoc
hoc hac hoc
Not content with British and American English, it seems there is also British and American Latin.

The Brits put the parts of speech in the order nominative, vocative, accusative, genitive, dative, ablative. That goes back as least as far as the Alice in Wonderland's complaint that learning how to address a table in Latin was pointless.

The USA seems to have used nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, vocative, ablative for some reason.

But even Latin pedants have to give up at the notion of the vocative case of a demonstrative pronoun, hence Zooby's table only has 5 rows not 6.

• #1,371
OmCheeto said:
I suspect cows also kill 10 times as many people as bulls, which might be surprising. Bulls aren't very interested in humans, unlike cows which are quick to "circle the wagons" to protect their calves, even if they don't actually have any calves to protect.

• #1,372
AlephZero said:
I suspect cows also kill 10 times as many people as bulls, which might be surprising. Bulls aren't very interested in humans, unlike cows which are quick to "circle the wagons" to protect their calves, even if they don't actually have any calves to protect.
I just realized that going down in shark cages is pretty much an excuse to transfer a bull fight to the ocean under the guise of "research."

• #1,373
zoobyshoe said:
I just realized that going down in shark cages is pretty much an excuse to transfer a bull fight to the ocean under the guise of "research."

hmmm...

Stange comparison.

Though, this morning, I was out by my mailbox, and saw something wiggling by my foot. I'm quite surprised I saw it. It was an 8 mm long white caterpillar being harassed by an army of 3 mm long ants.

I crouched down and watched, for about a minute or two, fascinated by the brutality of life.

Then I got bored, went inside, and posted something on Facebook.

I don't think I mentioned the battle.

• #1,374
OmCheeto said:
OMG. These cow memes are killing me.

THEY CAME WITH A1 WE CAME WITH C4​

:smile:

:smile: They were all great! I'm saving those.

• #1,375
Love the cow memes!

• #1,376
StoryCorps Remembers 2 People Killed On Sept. 11, 2001
http://www.npr.org/2014/09/11/347594938/storycorps-remembers-2-people-killed-on-sept-11-2001

The late BEVERLY ECKERT: "Sean had warm, brown eyes and dark, curly hair, and we met when we were only 16, at a high school dance. When he died, we were 50. It's about 9:30 a.m. when he called and he told me he was on the 150th floor, and he'd been trying to find a way out. I think about that last half-hour with Sean all the time. I didn't want that day to end. As terrible as it was, I didn't want to go to sleep because as long as I was awake, it was still a day that I'd shared with Sean. You know, and he kissed me goodbye before leaving for work. I could still say that was just a little while ago, that was only this morning and I just think of myself as living life for both of us now."

RICHARD PECORELLA: "Every morning, Karen would drive with me to my office and then she'd take the subway from my office - one stop - to the Trade Center. I worked in Brooklyn, so my window - I could see the twin towers. . . .
. . . . I miss her eyes; her eyes sparkled to me. One day they were blue; the next day they were green - depending on how light hit them. Karen, I'll always be in love with you, and I will see you again. I will do enough good to make it up there."

• #1,377
Astronuc said:
StoryCorps Remembers 2 People Killed On Sept. 11, 2001
http://www.npr.org/2014/09/11/347594938/storycorps-remembers-2-people-killed-on-sept-11-2001

The late BEVERLY ECKERT: "Sean had warm, brown eyes and dark, curly hair, and we met when we were only 16, at a high school dance. When he died, we were 50. It's about 9:30 a.m. when he called and he told me he was on the 150th floor, and he'd been trying to find a way out. I think about that last half-hour with Sean all the time. I didn't want that day to end. As terrible as it was, I didn't want to go to sleep because as long as I was awake, it was still a day that I'd shared with Sean. You know, and he kissed me goodbye before leaving for work. I could still say that was just a little while ago, that was only this morning and I just think of myself as living life for both of us now."

RICHARD PECORELLA: "Every morning, Karen would drive with me to my office and then she'd take the subway from my office - one stop - to the Trade Center. I worked in Brooklyn, so my window - I could see the twin towers. . . .
. . . . I miss her eyes; her eyes sparkled to me. One day they were blue; the next day they were green - depending on how light hit them. Karen, I'll always be in love with you, and I will see you again. I will do enough good to make it up there."

Reminds me of a silly meme a very good old friend shared yesterday:

"Marry someone who messes up your lipstick, and not your mascara".​

I haven't seen this good old friend in at least 20 years.

Facebook is kind of cool. :smile:

• #1,378
Tomorrow we here in Sweden will be voting in our elections. I've been watching too much debates lately, and I am mighty tired of it all :zzz: I feel somewhat like this little girl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQpf6VHCWDw

• #1,380
I laughed with this exchange. Posting here as others might find it funny as well:

[DataGG] 5:50 pm: I want a goddamn dog
[DataGG] 5:50 pm: but they're so expensive to maintain
[DataGG] 5:51 pm: =((
[General Chat]: Rocket50 has left at 5:51 pm
[fluidistic] 5:51 pm: what about a bonsai

• #1,381
DataGG said:
I laughed with this exchange. Posting here as others might find it funny as well:

I have about 12,000 hours of saved up, very inspirational, and wisdom filled chat logs, but nothing that compares to fluidistic's above response.

• #1,383
high schoolers are basically the Khmer Rouge with backpacks and skateboards

Just read that on FB on a friends timeline.

I thought it was appropriately random.

• #1,384
DataGG said:

You should look into volunteering at a dog shelter, to scratch that dog-itch you have.

And what are your thoughts on bonsai, anyway?

• #1,385
Ugh.

Just tried to open a new tube of super glue (cyanoacrylate). But it had really low viscosity, and it was under pressure (why??), so as soon as the foil was punctured it went all over my hands!

No, I didn't glue anybody parts to any other body parts. But now my skin is all coated, cracking, and tight :frown:.

• #1,386
Nail polish remover works to some extent, the rest can usually be taken out by a nail file.

• #1,387
lisab said:
Ugh.

Just tried to open a new tube of super glue (cyanoacrylate). But it had really low viscosity, and it was under pressure (why??), so as soon as the foil was punctured it went all over my hands!

No, I didn't glue anybody parts to any other body parts. But now my skin is all coated, cracking, and tight :frown:.
I buy it in the little bottle:

http://www.supergluecorp.com/super-glue/-original-super-glue®/super-glue-spill-resistant-bottle

This is better than the tubes in many ways. You can often find it in these little bottles at dollar stores; a two-pack for a dollar.

• #1,388
I had a terrible superglue accident when I was nine, to this day I cannot stand the smell of superglue.

• #1,389
I think you'll need a mask, a pair of gloves, and eye glasses while working with super glues then. bhuhahah :biggrin:

• #1,390
I never found superglue very useful.

• #1,391
dlgoff said:
I never found superglue very useful.

I use it to glue short colored pencil stubs onto fresh colored pencils. Forward to 1:22

Colored pencils are pretty expensive and it's irritating when you can't use those last couple inches just because you can't hold them well. That last length can represent about 35 cents if you paid full price in an art store. Gluing the last bit onto the next one allows you to just about use the whole length.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
  • #1,392
Now that would be useful.

Likes 1 person
  • #1,393
English is not my first language. That's why...

How I think I speak English: Good evening. My name is Lord Falcon, son of Lord Henry the Fifth and Lady Josephine, Duchess of Noble Island from La Lune. It is an unbearable honor to meet you here. Allow me to greet your commemorable precense with some of my best wine. I presently apologize if you find my humble mansion not up to your respectable standards.

How I really speak English: Yo, my name is Jumble Tumble. What's yours?

We should have a thread for Classy Talking. It would be fun...

• #1,394
Psinter said:
English is not my first language. That's why...

How I think I speak English: Good evening. My name is Lord Falcon, son of Lord Henry the Fifth and Lady Josephine, Duchess of Noble Island from La Lune. It is an unbearable honor to meet you here. Allow me to greet your commemorable precense with some of my best wine. I presently apologize if you find my humble mansion not up to your respectable standards.

How I really speak English: Yo, my name is Jumble Tumble. What's yours?

We should have a thread for Classy Talking. It would be fun...

Reminds me of a good friend I had who was Czech. When she first moved here, she would meet new people with "How do you do?". She thought the amused looks were because she was saying it wrong, so she slowed it down and eee-nun-cee-ate-ed ev-err-ee sill-ah-bil to the best of her abilities.

(Btw no one ever says "How do you do" since...oh maybe 1970.)

• #1,395
:biggrin: Very useful, I'd really love to see a thread that sums up all modern and classic ways of speaking English.

• #1,396
lisab said:

Ouch, that's embarrassing. I still occasionally use that one or "Nice/Pleased to meet you." when introduced to someone.

I've been avoiding "wassup" and "how's it hanging." Should I go with those instead?

• #1,397
lisab said:
Reminds me of a good friend I had who was Czech. When she first moved here, she would meet new people with "How do you do?". She thought the amused looks were because she was saying it wrong, so she slowed it down and eee-nun-cee-ate-ed ev-err-ee sill-ah-bil to the best of her abilities.

keep-calm-and-how-you-doin-keep-calm-19286308-385-500.jpg

• #1,398
I still say "how do you do".

Likes ZetaOfThree
  • #1,399
Evo said:
I still say "how do you do".

*Hugs* Hurray! I'm not alone!

• #1,400
I say, "Nice to meet you." If it's a little more formal, I modify it slightly to, "Pleased to meet you."