Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,471
WWGD said:
That is why it was intended for bilingual people who pronounce names in Spanish and pronounce soft g's in DiMaggio -(which is the case around here, were DiMaggio sounds like DiMajjo). So I estimate around 2.47 people will get it and -1 people will like it, but maybe my calculations are wrong.
I am English-Spanish bilingual and instinctively pronounce di Maggio with a soft g even though I know it's Italian so that is wrong. I didn't get it until you explained. Sorry...

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,472
Hold, it. I was wrong. It is a soft "g" in English. Pronounced just like the "j" in "jellyfish". What I was trying to point out, is that it is not an "h" like in Spanish. "DiMahhio" could well call "de Mayo" to mind, but neither a soft nor hard English "g" will.

• #1,473
In other words, the joke would have worked if someone saw "5 DiMaggio" as saying "Cinco Di Mahhio."

• #1,474
Actually, the " Di Mahhio " pronunciation is more of an Anglo version. In Spanish it is more like "De Majjo", with a strong J, as in Jacob. At least in many Spanish-speaking countries. I think your pronunciation is more "Spanglish" , like, e.g., Tex-Mex lingo.

Last edited:
  • #1,475
My SAT Subject test scores just came in. I got a perfect 800 in both Physics and Math Level 2! I feel like I'm on top of the world!

I'd like to thank anyone and everyone who helped me on this awesome website, because I covered most of the syllabus here just browsing through threads and posts in the past few months without actually realizing it. PF rocks!

Likes zoobyshoe, WWGD, Ibix and 2 others
  • #1,476
PWiz said:
My SAT Subject test scores just came in. I got a perfect 800 in both Physics and Math Level 2! I feel like I'm on top of the world!

I'd like to thank anyone and everyone who helped me on this awesome website, because I covered most of the syllabus here just browsing through threads and posts in the past few months without actually realizing it. PF rocks!
Congratulations!

Likes PWiz
  • #1,477
My wife sent me a link to a friend's Instagram page. He recently got married and they apparently went to Tahiti for their honeymoon. The link shows a picture of his boarding pass. Unfortunately, it's sitting on top of his passport so that the whole world can see his full passport number. I hope he enjoys identity theft. :rolleyes:

• #1,478
WWGD said:
Actually, the " Di Mahhio " pronunciation is more of an Anglo version. In Spanish it is more like "De Majjo", with a strong J, as in Jacob. At least in many Spanish-speaking countries. I think your pronunciation is more "Spanglish" , like, e.g., Tex-Mex lingo.
So the name, "Gorge", is pronounced "Jor-je"? I thought it was "Hor-he".

• #1,479
zoobyshoe said:
Your right, this is true only when the g is in the middle of the word, at the beginning it is as you said.

• #1,480
Yo no say nada...

:redface:

• #1,481
zoobyshoe said:
It is the first time I use this word, but it is a moot point, a useless point I made: I am 99.999777 % (precisely this amount) sure that there
are no words in Spanish with a double g. So I don't know how it would be pronounced, a word that does not exist. A "one hand clapping" type thing.

• #1,482
WWGD said:
It is the first time I use this word, but it is a moot point, a useless point I made: I am 99.999777 % (precisely this amount) sure that there
are no words in Spanish with a double g. So I don't know how it would be pronounced, a word that does not exist. A "one hand clapping" type thing.
Caravaggio! I would imagine Spanish speakers attack the pronunciation as English speakers do: adopt something as close to the Italian as is convenient.

• #1,483
Having watched both series of "Cosmos" now I for some reason prefer the one with Carl Sagan, even though the new Cosmos is much more flashy and graphical and.. cgi filled to the brim.

• #1,484
WWGD said:
That is why it was intended for bilingual people who pronounce names in Spanish and pronounce soft g's in DiMaggio -(which is the case around here, were DiMaggio sounds like DiMajjo). So I estimate around 2.47 people will get it and -1 people will like it, but maybe my calculations are wrong.
I got it :smile: and I even chuckled!

• #1,485
Thanks, lisab, but I think we settled on "5 de Caravaggio" , I think. But I think deCaravaggio is injured this season, so we won't see his number.

Good intentions but misguided: a group of volunteers distributes, or at least offers, packs of food in the subway cars.They alternate between cars, between routes.
But, how many homeless/hungry hang out all day in/between subway cars? I suggested to them they get a fixed/centric site in the city so the homeless/hungry can know where to go, instead of them having to subway -surf see if they run into the volunteers. Seems like a well-intentioned though bizarre effort.

• #1,487
There are these online tests you can take in which you enter your (or a ) name and email and then the results are sent to you, saying " mr x, your IQ is ..."
I took one making sure I got almost everything wrong and gave a friend's email address. He should be receiving an email soon saying " Your IQ is 23 " ,not knowing where it comes from.

Likes Bandersnatch, zoobyshoe, PWiz and 1 other person
  • #1,488
WWGD said:
There are these online tests you can take in which you enter your (or a ) name and email and then the results are sent to you, saying " mr x, your IQ is ..."
I took one making sure I got almost everything wrong and gave a friend's email address. He should be receiving an email soon saying " Your IQ is 23 " ,not knowing where it comes from.
:DD Excellent idea!

• #1,489
I really hate clothes shopping! That's really hard:frown:

• #1,490
why are you fat? :DD

• #1,491
Pipeline that leaked wasn't equipped with auto shut-off
http://news.yahoo.com/california-oil-spill-harder-clean-choppy-waters-081709505--finance.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The pipeline that leaked thousands of gallons of oil on the California coast was the only pipe of its kind in the county not required to have an automatic shut-off valve because of a court fight nearly three decades ago, a county official said.

The original owner of the pipeline skirted the Santa Barbara County requirement by successfully arguing in court in the late 1980s that it should be subject to federal oversight because the pipeline is part of an interstate network, said Kevin Drude, deputy director of the county's Energy and Minerals Division. Auto shut-off valves are not required by federal regulators.
I wonder if the company saw it as an unnecessary expense.Sea lion rescued from Santa Barbara oil spill dies at SeaWorld
http://news.yahoo.com/sea-lion-rescued-santa-barbara-oil-spill-dies-234613823--finance.html

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,492
Lisa! said:
I really hate clothes shopping! That's really hard:frown:

Me, too! Absolutely hate it. Malls are the worst. I don't like the fancy lights they use, or the music, or that there are never any windows or natural scenes. Everything feels fake and plastic and it's all a ruse to make you spend money. Most of the things I buy in malls, I hate when I get home - "What the heck was I thinking by buying that?!"

Likes Lisa!
  • #1,493
Just another birthday for Detroit-area woman _ her 116th
http://news.yahoo.com/just-another-birthday-detroit-area-woman-her-116th-164853914.html

Happy Birthday, Jeralean Talley!

The stories she can probably tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,495
For those who don't wander through the Special and General Relativity Forum very often.
A Slower Speed of Light game.

• #1,496
Borg said:
For those who don't wander through the Special and General Relativity Forum very often.
A Slower Speed of Light game.
Nice! I think they should make a game where quantum effects become progressively more noticeable on large scales as well! How much of fun would it be to see the moon disappear and reappear at different spots...erm... well on second thoughts, that might not be as much fun :confused:

• #1,497
Political earthquake here. I wonder how much popcorn I will need to watch the situation evolve for the next 5 years.

• #1,498
Borek said:
Political earthquake here. I wonder how much popcorn I will need to watch the situation evolve for the next 5 years.
Buy 1,825 bags of microwave popcorn. That's one bag a day. Of course, some days will be 3 bag days, but other days will be 0 bag days.

Likes Borek
  • #1,499
zoobyshoe said:
Buy 1,825 bags of microwave popcorn. That's one bag a day. Of course, some days will be 3 bag days, but other days will be 0 bag days.
think that's 1826 :D *wiseguy alert*

• #1,500
nuuskur said:
think that's 1826 :D *wiseguy alert*
1827, in this case.

• #1,501
wiseguy attempt failed :<

• #1,502
:wink:

Leap years intrigue me. There are big celebations in Santiago de Compostela whenever St James' day falls on a Sunday (from the religious because it's extra-holy, and from the rest of the local economy because there's a lot of pilgrims because it's extra-holy). But the pattern of interactions between a seven-day cycle and a one-day-but-sometimes-two-days-a-year shift is surprisingly complex.

• #1,503
If people under a certain age went back in time to 30 years ago I think they might be horrified to find out how small real strawberries actually were.

Likes PWiz, Borek and Evo
  • #1,504
Those large ones never got popular here.

• #1,505
Depends what you mean. You seem to export a lot of them to the UK...