Ask a Stupid Quetion Get a Stupid Answer

• Thread starter climbhi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, a group of individuals are discussing a new forum and its purpose of asking and answering "stupid questions." They discuss topics such as how long it takes to reach 1000 posts, the existence of the old forums, the best superpower, an elevator that goes sideways, and the reasons behind posting in this forum. They also explore the question of why they ask questions and the possible theories that have not been invented. Eventually, the conversation turns to the expansion of the universe and the orbit of planets around stars.
  • #1,086
Hahahaha, I was too slow on the draw !

Now my true nature is at last revealed :smile:

Recently, while practising the ancient art of dowsing, I succeeded in finding no fewer than 14 pairs of old dowsing rods. Any explanations?
I'd have to consult with (Q) for an explanation. :biggrin:

Boulderhead's Polynesian sweety;
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/8338/Faces/labels/Pipestone.html

Can dowsing rods be used to locate a suitable area on a commercial jetliner for parachute mounting?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,087
BoulderHead said:
Now my true nature is at last revealed
hehehehehehehe

Can dowsing rods be used to locate a suitable area on a commercial jetliner for parachute mounting?
Of course. I know someone who once used them to locate a place to mount the flight attendant.

Say, given all the noise on a jet, all the engine rumbling and such, and the fact you're going 800 miles an hour, and because the pilots sometimes hum tunes into the PA system cause they forget to shut them off, do you suppose it is possible that sound is being produced in the infrasonic range that could be affecting the passeners? Ya think this could explain why, whenever I fly I have the strong urge to stand in front of everyone announcing "De plane! De Plane!"?

• #1,088
zoobyshoe said:
...do you suppose it is possible that sound is being produced in the infrasonic range that could be affecting the passeners?
I don't think so 'cause I'm fairly certain they had all those types of ranges replaced with more modern microwave ovens.
Ya think this could explain why, whenever I fly I have the strong urge to stand in front of everyone announcing "De plane! De Plane!"?
Methinks those little bottles they sell for exorbitant prices would be a more likely cause. :smile:

Are not those seat-buckle demonstrations performed by flight attendants some of the most captivating performances ever witnessed in nature?

• #1,089
BoulderHead said:
Are not those seat-buckle demonstrations performed by flight attendants some of the most captivating performances ever witnessed in nature?
I don't fly for any other reason.

I have an autograph book with the signatures of over 300 lovely flight attendants; the past and present stars of the seat belt demonstrations all over the globe. What am I bid?

• #1,090
I'll give you 30 tons of raw jellyfish, seeing as Zoobs don't appreciate the value of U.S. legal tender.

How many barbers have gone insane after encountering Boulderhead's massive pompadour?

• #1,091
Math Is Hard said:
How many barbers have gone insane after encountering Boulderhead's massive pompadour?
Trick quetion. None. Boulder gets his hair cut by jackhammer artists at the foot of Mt. Rushmore.

I wonder, do all the real Boulderheads feel envious of all the attention the fake Boulderheads at Mt. Rushmore recieve?

Disgruntled, envious boulderhead:?
Address:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/8338/Faces/labels/WhtMtnFor.html

Last edited:
  • #1,092
Math Is Hard said:
Too many, and all I ever wanted was a little trim...but it appears I am stuck with my cowlick ! :biggrin:

[edit = ignore (been beaten to punch by the Zoobster once again)]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,093
zoobyshoe said:
I wonder, do all the real Boulderheads feel envious of all the attention the fake Boulderheads at Mt. Rushmore recieve?

There are no real Boulderheads.

But there are the retired sculptors from the stellar system, Rockstar Chisellitallup. So the day they get their pensions (they're periodic beings, like our cicadas - all born the same day, start working together, and retire simultaneously, a Mersenne prime number of years later - but that's a different story) the entire sculpting community of planet Boulderdash (the only other community on the planet are a bunch of surgeons that specialize in setting bones broken by flying granite) go traveling about the Galaxy performing their artwork upon yet unbeautified planets.

The most recent generation of the Boulderdash sculptors (retired about 4000 years ago) proudly take the credit for the canals of Mars - even though they had to consume several gigatonnes of asteroids to keep them going.

Did you know that the Boulderdashian sculptors are a species devoid of the female sex ?

• #1,094
Gokul43201 said:
Did you know that the Boulderdashian sculptors are a species devoid of the female sex ?
To a point approaching physical pain, YES ! :biggrin: :smile:

I saw an advertisement in a local newspaper selling a two-year old cement mixer for $125. How can anyone so young perform such back-breaking labor ??

• #1,095
BoulderHead said:
I saw an advertisement in a local newspaper selling a two-year old cement mixer for $125. How can anyone so young perform such back-breaking labor ??
We here at area 51 have been looking for that child since his escape last month. Please PM me with the location. In the meantime phone the vendor and tell them not to feed it any lobster. I'm not at liberty to explain.

Every once in a while someone finds a boulderhead somewhere in Mexico that looks exactly like the Virgin Mary. It's a miracle, isn't it?

• #1,096
zoobyshoe said:
Every once in a while someone finds a boulderhead somewhere in Mexico that looks exactly like the Virgin Mary. It's a miracle, isn't it?

Absolutely, it is right next to the large rock that looks mysteriously like Richard Nixon's nose. That is when you set up a booth and charge people to have their picture taken with a up-scaled version of nature's rendition of a former U.S. Presidents nose. 140% of the people who did this reported gaining thousands of pesos and using all of the money up to buy one loaf of bread.

*last sentence is slightly inaccurate.

Can one theoretically rob a bank with a frozen loaf of bread and get away with it?

EDIT: to Math Is Hard - I meant using the frozen loaf of bread as a weapon, like a gun. sorry for misunderstanding. put changes in edit so as to not ruin the flow of this gigantic thread.

Last edited:
  • #1,097
Wouldn't it be better rob a bank that had money rather than just a lousy loaf of frozen bread?

If Ask a Stupid Quetion.. became a hit TV show, who would be the sponsors?

• #1,098
Math Is Hard said:
If Ask a Stupid Quetion.. became a hit TV show, who would be the sponsors?
Due to vanity, I'm more concerned about who they'll get to play the role of Zooby.

I bought a CD the other day, a recording of a rarly performed violin sonata by rarely recorded composer, Uwe S. Ohrenkreig, performed by pianist Schnellen D. Bangenhammer and violinist Schramme D. Blitzgeige. The composer describes this work as being set in the key of Z minor. It consist of noises produced by dropping delicate, airy things like leaves and feathers onto the strings of the two instruments.
It is a subtle work, and went over my head. Anyone have any idea what it was all about?

• #1,099
Sure...it's more popularly known as the levitationally traveling oxymorchestra. For a couple months each year, you'll find it going over everybody's heads.

If I now asked a quetion that was not stupid, would this thread, in a moment of angst, give up, pack its bags, and go home ?

• #1,100
Let's find out. I will ask a "borderline" stupid quetion as a test, and we can measure how long the thread stalls.

My textbook says that if you have a current moving through a wire, electrons move in the opposite direction of the current. Why is that?

• #1,101
Math Is Hard said:
My textbook says that if you have a current moving through a wire, electrons move in the opposite direction of the current. Why is that?

Simple, it is mating season and the electons want to move upstream to fertilize the opposite "sex (i.e charge)". Its a subatomic world of salmon migration.

Would the following statement be true based on that assumption? "Electrons have feelings too" if the opposite charge dumps an election?

• #1,102
holy **** there is 1100 replies to this thread, well make this 1101

Last edited:
  • #1,103
motai said:
Would the following statement be true based on that assumption? "Electrons have feelings too" if the opposite charge dumps an election?

Absolutely. Electrons certainly have feelings. So does friction.

Many elementary physics textbooks will preface a problem by stating "Ignore friction."
How long do you think friction will continue to take being ignored by thousands upon thousands of students before it finally snaps, and what will be the consequences?

• #1,104
Math Is Hard said:

Many elementary physics textbooks will preface a problem by stating "Ignore friction."
How long do you think friction will continue to take being ignored by thousands upon thousands of students before it finally snaps, and what will be the consequences?

I think that friction will tired of being constantly ignored and within the next year or two will snap and give people horrible rashes and burns.

Speaking of ignored science with feelings, how bad do you think air resistance feels when textbooks tell you that it is negligable?

• #1,105
Math Is Hard said:

I think friction doesn't mind being ignored because it understands the twist that is put onto the problem when it is applied so there will be no consequences.

But for a stupid question what's more annoying? A big huge fly buzzing around your head or a bunch of gnats flying around?

• #1,106
Not very bad at all. You see air resistance is a poor learner (what with all the resistance... ) and never got the hang of big words. It still enjoys strutting about in a transparent negligee.

If there's ever a revolution going to happen among the ill-appreciated physical quantities, it will likely be led by the growingly disgruntled gang of commonplace objects' velocities. They've had a decent time until Alfred Einstein came along and questioned their manhood.

How do you think they feel about being continually (over the last century) referred to as 'small compared to the speed of light' ?

EDIT : IGNORE THIS. I type too slowly...beaten by multiple posts.

• #1,107
I am going to defer to your quetion, Gokul. I have deleted my prev post. Your quetion stands as the quetion to be answered.

Last edited:
  • #1,108
Gokul43201 said:
If there's ever a revolution going to happen among the ill-appreciated physical quantities, it will likely be led by the growingly disgruntled gang of commonplace objects' velocities. They've had a decent time until Alfred Einstein came along and questioned their manhood.

How do you think they feel about being continually (over the last century) referred to as 'small compared to the speed of light' ?
Trick quetion. Alfred© Einstein, of course, had nothing to say about the speed of light. Alfred's concerns were gelatinous and purple. As for speed, he had to rely on a stipulation of the speed of a nocturnally roving herd of weird, purple jellyfish in a vacuum for his calculations, since a real herd in those circumstances would simply explode into a lavender mess.

Since the great bulk of Alfred's ideas came from "thought experiments" (sittengedankenthinkin versuchungen) do you suppose that all the weird, purple jellyfish he experimented upon were experimenting back upon him with sittengedankenthinkin experiments of their own?

• #1,109
Trick quetion. Alfred© Einstein, of course, had nothing to say about the speed of light. Alfred's concerns were gelatinous and purple. As for speed, he had to rely on a stipulation of the speed of a nocturnally roving herd of weird, purple jellyfish in a vacuum for his calculations, since a real herd in those circumstances would simply explode into a lavender mess.

Since the great bulk of Alfred's ideas came from "thought experiments" (sittengedankenthinkin versuchungen) do you suppose that all the weird, purple jellyfish he experimented upon were experimenting back upon him with sittengedankenthinkin experiments of their own?

I don't suppose it; I know it. And the result was disastrous. Let me explain...

You see Einstein (borrowing from Finny Descartilage) eventually announced : "I think, therefore you (the weird, purple jellyfish) are." And the weird, purple jellyfish decided (all together, since they're bassons - refer Dr. S. N. Bass) to see what would happen if they performed a Fluvier transform on those words. So they performed it and arrived at : "We are integral, therefore you are imaginary."

And Einstein disappeared in a puff of purple smoke.

Since that day, Einstein can be found only in the sittingedankenthinkin experiments of the weird, purple jellyfish.

Isn't it a gigantic pity that this was the end of one of the greatest thinkers to ever be?

Last edited:
  • #1,110
Gokul43201 said:
Isn't it a gigantic pity that this was the end of one of the greatest thinkers to ever be?

I wouldn't call Alfred Einstein one of the greatest thinkers of all time, if he can be out-smarted by weird purple jellyfish.

Which other great scientists have been out-smarted by weird purple jellyfish and how?

• #1,111
jimmy p said:
Which other great scientists have been out-smarted by weird purple jellyfish and how?
Well, of course there was Aristotle, who completely misunderstood the cause and nature of the weird, purple jellyfish' weirdness, but he was outsmarted by the entire physical world, so that's no surprise. Strangely, though, even Galileo fell down on this quetion because, when trying to devise some sort of scale of weirdness against which to measure any given weird, purple jellyfish, the jellies kept messin' with his head by adopting a level of weirdness equal to wherever they were placed on the scale.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it wasn't till Isaac Newty, using a prism and rotten apple setup, discovered that every weird, purple jellyfish is composed of a spectrum of weirdness, that galileo's mystification was cleared up. Who, then, though discovered that the presence of a weird, purple jellyfish can induce weirdness in certain, select other things in Nature, and how does that work?

• #1,112
That would have been astronomer Tai-bo Brahe who carefully observed jellyfish outside his window while doing his vigorous morning exercises. Brahe discovered first-hand the insane weirdness of purple jellyfish when he challenged one to a duel (over a minor mathematical discrepancy) and it promptly cut off his nose.

Without a nose, how did Brahe smell?

• #1,113
Math Is Hard said:
Without a nose, how did Brahe smell?
Oh, you think you can tempt me with that easy bait?

Why is it, do you think, that weird, purple jellyfish get so insanely weird when their notions on science are challenged?

• #1,114
ha! if I wanted to tempt a Zooby I would simply capture a chicken and teach it to say "koo koo roo, koo roo, I'm a little fat, delicious, lost chicken with a broken leg and can't run very fast, koo koo roo" and then chain it to the fence down at the Peterson farm about 2 km from your brush shelter.

Jellyfish get insanely weird when their science theories are challenged not unlike their human counterparts posting to the Theory Development area of this website. The reason is that they do not have the basic scientific training to back up their wild speculations. This often leads to hostility (read: stings).

How many posters to the Theory Development thread of this website, do you opine, are actually WPJ passing themselves off as human?

• #1,115
Math Is Hard said:
How many posters to the Theory Development thread of this website, do you opine, are actually WPJ passing themselves off as human?
Hmmmm. The quetion got me thinking and a quick check of a babelfish informed me that "Michio" is a regional, informal word for "jellyfish" in one coastal village on the island of Hokaido, and "Kaku" the name of a berry that grows in the south of Japan, which berry is purple in hue!

Speaking of astronomy, the great telescope at Palomar Mt. here in Ca. gave the world its first glimpse of the amazing jellyfish nebula (located in the constellation Aquarius of course, so it doesn't dry out). The Hubble telescope has afforded even better views of it, and astro-physicists now believe they know what makes up the nebula's amazing tentacles. What is it they think they are made of?

Last edited:
  • #1,116
Wait quick break. How long is this thread going to last?

Also don't forget to answer the question above though I am supposed to.

• #1,117
zoobyshoe said:
Hmmmm. The quetion got me thinking and a quick check of a babelfish informed me that "Michio" is a regional, informal word for "jellyfish" in one coastal village on the island of Hokaido, and "Kaku" the name of a berry that grows in the south of Japan, which berry is purple in hue!

Speaking of astronomy, the great telescope at Palomar Mt. here in Ca. gave the world its first glimpse of the amazing jellyfish nebula (located in the constellation Aquarius of course, so it doesn't dry out). The Hubble telescope has afforded even better views of it, and astro-physicists now believe they know what makes up the nebula's amazing tentacles. What is it they think they are made of?

Mass-spectrometry shows very convincingly that the tentacles are made of ... sugar ! Well, not exactly sugar...more like a . . . umm, well... a jelly sandwich.

The folks at the Atkins Institute have already released travel advisories for people planning to visit the jellyfish nebula. In fact, they go so far as suggesting that looking in that general direction is the equivalent of licking cake frosting off your fingers after you've washed your hands - an act considered perfectly harmless by the ignorentsia.

Don't you think the low carb revolution is like Armageddon, and we will eventually vanquish all that is evil, simply by shunning the cursed carbs ?

(EDIT : Quote : "How long is this thread going to last ?" There is a theory suggesting the self-annihilation of this thread by the proposal of a non-stupid quetion, but so far, no-one has been able to replicate that condition...or the theory is incorrect - guess we'll never know which it is !)

Last edited:
  • #1,118
zoobyshoe said:

Purple energy - it makes up 17.4% of dark energy, the rest is blue green energy, as seen in the blue green alga nebula.

So what ancient astronomer do you think went around naming celestial bodies after jellyfish?

• #1,119
Answers: 1) Kacper: a fly buzzing around 2) Gokul: yes. carbs kill. even 2nd hand carbs kill 3) SA: That was Jellileo Jellili.

Quetion: When I arrive at work, the clock downstairs says 8:45. When I take the elevator up to my floor, the clock on my floor says 8:30. Does this have anything to do with relativity?

• #1,120
Math Is Hard said:
Answers: 1) Kacper: a fly buzzing around 2) Gokul: yes. carbs kill. even 2nd hand carbs kill 3) SA: That was Jellileo Jellili.

Quetion: When I arrive at work, the clock downstairs says 8:45. When I take the elevator up to my floor, the clock on my floor says 8:30. Does this have anything to do with relativity?

No, it just shows how far you'll go to convince yourself that you're not getting to work 15 minutes late. If you want to call that re-late-ivity, be my guest, but I'm sure Alfred is squirming in his sittingedankenthinkin grave...

...which makes me wonder : can thoughts die ?

Back