Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
Sorry...

Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
Sorry...

I forgive you Om, even though I don't know what you're taking about :-p

DiracPool said:
I forgive you Om, even though I don't know what you're taking about :-p

That's ok. I don't know what I was talking about either.

It was obviously a drunken set of posts, as I was typing with a British accent.

Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
That's ok. I don't know what I was talking about either.

It was obviously a drunken set of posts, as I was typing with a British accent.

Yeah, I try hard to steer clear of this site if I've been drinking, because if I don't, I wake up in the morning and think, crap, I've been banned for sure this time. I can't seem to stay away, though :-p

DennisN said:
That's probably my favorite Stones song. WannaBeNewton, Monty Python is great too.

How about some Mitchell & Webb to cheer things up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo_nltYf9gw

I also like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59zLZ6PpeSA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOBhf8f7cXM

haha, that was great, I got that :smile: That's always been my experience of being on committees, just a bunch puffed up prima donna's talking in circles. Buy somehow, it makes the world run.

Bumble bees are in the genus Bombus, which are in the tribe Bombini.

Bombini bombus. Seriously.

Not to be mistaken with Bufo bufo, Bubo bubo or Natrix natrix.

In Polish shower is "natrysk" (or "prysznic") and the similarity between natrix and natrysk was a source of constant jokes between me and a friend of mine back in late seventies. Imagine a snake called shower shower.

lisab said:

Well if that ain't random I don't know what is :smile:

lisab said:

Some crazy kid I'm with right now somehow knows Latin, and would like to point out that Bombini means "bee". I don't know if this is true, but he seems fairly confident.

Speaking of Latin, this is one of my favorite phrases:

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

DiracPool said:
Edit: and I've got 7 more posts than you, so respect.

:smile: clearly I am not worthy

Borek said:

In Polish shower is "natrysk" (or "prysznic") and the similarity between natrix and natrysk was a source of constant jokes between me and a friend of mine back in late seventies. Imagine a snake called shower shower.

Is this another senility test?

I'm really worried about getting old.

When I was a child, the Latin name for Guppy was Lebistes Reticulatus.

I looked at that name a couple of years ago, and it looked like, Ridiculous Lover. Which of course, guppies are. They are sex machines.

But then I saw that someone had changed their name to Poecilia Reticulata.

----------------------
I know I've shared this story before. But...

I haz no dogz! My wife went to bed, and both dogs followed her into the bedroom where there big comfy beds are. I'll have them all day tomorrow, as usual, but it's kind of quiet out here.

DiracPool said:
haha, that was great, I got that :smile: That's always been my experience of being on committees, just a bunch puffed up prima donna's talking in circles. Buy somehow, it makes the world run.

Hmm, that makes me think of http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/administ.htm;

William DeBuvitz said:
The heaviest element known to science was recently discovered by investigators at a major U.S. research university. The element, tentatively named administratium, has no protons or electrons and thus has an atomic number of 0. However, it does have one neutron, 125 assistant neutrons, 75 vice neutrons and 111 assistant vice neutrons, which gives it an atomic mass of 312. These 312 particles are held together by a force that involves the continuous exchange of meson-like particles called morons.

Since it has no electrons, administratium is inert. However, it can be detected chemically as it impedes every reaction it comes in contact with. According to the discoverers, a minute amount of administratium causes one reaction to take over four days to complete when it would have normally occurred in less than a second.

:smile:

dennisn said:
hmm, that makes me think of http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/administ.htm;

:smile:

lol...

Borek said:

I wonder if Bufo bufo, Bubo bubo, or Natrix natrix live on Pago Pago, Bora Bora, or in Walla Walla.

lisab said:
I wonder if Bufo bufo, Bubo bubo, or Natrix natrix live on Pago Pago, Bora Bora, or in Walla Walla.

I don't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised seeing them in Baden-Baden.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Some crazy kid I'm with right now somehow knows Latin, and would like to point out that Bombini means "bee". I don't know if this is true, but he seems fairly confident.
I believe the Bombini were one of the original Five Families. Their Godfather, Don "Bombus" Bombini, however, perished in the St. Vitus Day massacre. He was succeeded by his son, Pauli "Bomboid" Bombini, a hot headed lad with no mind for business. He ran things into the ground and the rest of the family was picked off piecemeal by the competition. I don't know if this is true, but I feel fairly confident.

lisab said:

This is so cute and they are so scary.

HeLiXe said:
This is so cute and they are so scary.
And so necessary, if we are to have fruits and vegetables. "Buzz-pollinators" are critical for some crops like cucumbers, squash, etc that have relatively large blossoms. Pick up a bumblebee and look closely, and you will see that their hairs are covered with pollen, which is pretty important to the plants, since small bees, flies, etc, don't transport pollen as efficiently. I love bumblebees. Honeybees are nice, but they don't work when we have cold wet weather (common here).

My wife and I went to the pond to feed the turtles, but there were no turtles. But we became fascinated with the ants, and how they carried stuff, so we ended up feeding them - larger and large pieces to test their carrying skills. Quite amazing. (Took about 7 of the to carry a quarter of a taco shell.) Not their natural diet, I'm sure.

THen we came home and watched an awesome documentary about ants.

dkotschessaa said:
My wife and I went to the pond to feed the turtles, but there were no turtles. But we became fascinated with the ants, and how they carried stuff, so we ended up feeding them - larger and large pieces to test their carrying skills. Quite amazing. (Took about 7 of the to carry a quarter of a taco shell.) Not their natural diet, I'm sure.

THen we came home and watched an awesome documentary about ants.
Feynman was an antophile.

I was watching some Italian TV today , trying to refresh my memory from the classes I took a few years back, and a lot of it was coming back, except I can't figure out neither who this "Louie" guy is everyone was always talking about :" Louie this", "Louie that", nor why they kept talking about a piano so often.

A guy came up to me today and said, "Did you know you look like Terrence McKenna?" I had no idea who that was. When I got home I googled and saw there was a marked resemblance. We could easily pass for brothers, anyway. Except he had much more hair. And he's dead.

Last November, I met a young couple at my bar, that had just moved here from Alabama. The young lady had a chicken purse. We talked for about 2 minutes, and I asked if we could be Facebook friends. And it was so!

Then one day, one of her photo's was of a friend of hers from Rhode Island. He'd come to visit last year, and he had his picture taken at a location that I was very familiar with. It was a beautiful picture, with his silhouette against a sunset. Someone made a comment about his ears. I also made a comment about how I liked the picture, and we also became Facebook friends.

Yesterday, I was at a location 50 miles from where his picture was taken, on another beach, looking for my friends. I saw a young man with very familiar ears. I asked him if his name was such and such. He said yes. I then had to explain to him that we had been Facebook friends for quite some time. I then asked him to give his chicken purse friend a hug when he saw her, as I haven't seen her in a very long time.

pf.xa.crg.facing%20west.jpg

Last edited:
Haha! That's neat Om :)

Likes 1 person
Astronuc said:
Dribbling Man

"In exactly one year, the 2014 World Cup kicks off in Brazil. Richard Swanson died last month while trying to walk from Seattle to São Paulo in time for the first match."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...il-2014-world-cup-how-far-did-want-break-away

Got hit by a car, heard about that. Dropped his life saving saving's of not much to go on a odyssey later in life. That's not how life should treat that effort, IMO. RIP.

zoobyshoe said:
Feynman was an antophile.

Interesting follow up. The next day we went for a walk somewhere else and I stepped on an anthill, resulting in ants crawling up my leg and lots of bites. (I was wearing sandals). I tried to reason with them, telling them that I found their species fascinating and even provided food to their brethren, but they would not listen to reason

Still itching.

Downloaded a DOS emulator so I could play the 1980s version of simcity while I recover from surgery. It is the perfect time waster.

dkotschessaa said:
Downloaded a DOS emulator so I could play the 1980s version of simcity while I recover from surgery. It is the perfect time waster.

http://www.gog.com/

Borek said:

I wish I had another surgery coming up so I could spend another week playing Myst. Alas, time to get back to real life soon.

dkotschessaa said:
Interesting follow up. The next day we went for a walk somewhere else and I stepped on an anthill, resulting in ants crawling up my leg and lots of bites. (I was wearing sandals). I tried to reason with them, telling them that I found their species fascinating and even provided food to their brethren, but they would not listen to reason

Still itching.

Should have mentioned Feynman to them, that would have stopped them.

I've always been curious--but too lazy to do the actual research --to understand some issues of dog behavior.
Why does a dog seem so happy to see you after you have left home, you've pat him/her goodbye, and then returned home, after a few minutes,because you forgot something? I mean, you've been gone for 2 minutes, yet the dog jumps on you like he had not seen you in years. And you can iterate this a few times, leaving and coming back after 2 minutes , and each time the dog will react in exactly the same way.

I asked this at another one of the big ASPCA events, where they try to push a dog on you. I got away from it by pointing-out to them they did not have my favorite dog. No one knew the answer.

Last edited: