Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
dkotschessaa said:
3 years married to my sweety. (That's spelled correctly. I'm sweetie, she's sweety).

We met on the bus in 6th grade. She asked me for my phone number, and I, being very intimidated by girls, masking my nervousness with humor, said "1-900-909-DAVE." We were friends in middle school, lost touch for a bit, found each other again in high school by which point I didn't recognize her, but nonetheless began chasing this hot girl around, who totally ignored me. We became friends again, and except for the occasional random out of nowhere kiss, we were just friends, though we promised that if we weren't married by the time we were 30 we'd look each other up and get married.

We lost touch for 15 years.

Found each other again about 5 years ago and started dating long distance, PA to Florida. We both lost our mothers a year apart, but before that, both our parents advised us, in their own ways, "don't screw it up." I moved to Florida and we got married, had a very extended honeymoon. We have been having a blast. We are the silliest two people you'll ever see together. She's awesome. I'm so lucky.

-Dave K

That's lovely :smile:.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stallone has called Willis lazy and greedy. This coming from a jerk who might be planning RockyXX Milk it Sly. We know who you are and we know that you are one-dimensional. At least Willis can act.

Yesterday I took 2 tests, both of which were easy. But graduate schools may fail me because my score might not be too high. my GPA in high school 33 and in college 35. My high school is a huge one while the college is 10 times smaller. I don't know why, blame it on luck or just my fate to have done on easy tests.

turbo said:
Stallone has called Willis lazy and greedy. This coming from a jerk who might be planning RockyXX Milk it Sly. We know who you are and we know that you are one-dimensional. At least Willis can act.
Stallone was great in "Copland". His fans hated the film, though, because he played a wimp. I loved it because I was amazed how well he could act when he was allowed to act.

Same with Robin Williams. I think he's best when playing creepy serial killers rather than comedy. Get some real acting out of him.

This pic shows what happens to palm trees when you don't trim them. The ones that grow by the side of the highway here are pretty much wild and don't get trimmed. That's why the three on fire I saw last night were throwing up such huge flames. Those drooping, dead palms all the way up the trunk burn like crazy.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-07 at 11.14.37 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-07 at 11.14.37 PM.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 389
zoobyshoe said:
This pic shows what happens to palm trees when you don't trim them. The ones that grow by the side of the highway here are pretty much wild and don't get trimmed. That's why the three on fire I saw last night were throwing up such huge flames. Those drooping, dead palms all the way up the trunk burn like crazy.
Probably just took one carelessly tossed cigarette from a passing car. Too bad that you didn't have a copilot to take a picture. But, a Google search gives a pretty good set of images.

you can time travel.

from california to N. Y ,
you travel 3 hours ahead, so from this point, you have traveled 3 hours into the future..

from n.y to china,
you traveled 12 hours ahead, so from this point, you have traveled 12 hours into the future.

from china to califonia,
you travel 15 hours back in time, so from this point, you have traveled 15 hours to the past.

time travel, occurs everyday.

:)

Every day, every hour, every second, every damn millisecond!

Borg said:
Probably just took one carelessly tossed cigarette from a passing car. Too bad that you didn't have a copilot to take a picture. But, a Google search gives a pretty good set of images.
The first thing I googled was "palm trees on fire". I passed on posting any of those here because none of them was equal to the intensity of the fire I saw. I thought, when I first saw it in the distance, a jetliner had crashed, or some tanker truck full of flammable liquid had overturned and caught fire. There was a candle wick proportion to the flames, with the trees as the wick and the flames that much higher than the trees. My sense of a palm tree is that mature ones are about 100 feet tall, so I figure trees + flames were at 200 feet.

Anyway, I'm now worried about the structural integrity of the elevated onramp that was getting licked by the flames. I hope they do a thorough evaluation of it.

zoobyshoe said:
Stallone was great in "Copland". His fans hated the film, though, because he played a wimp. I loved it because I was amazed how well he could act when he was allowed to act.

Same with Robin Williams. I think he's best when playing creepy serial killers rather than comedy. Get some real acting out of him.

I hate it when actors with the potential to play various opposing roles end up being type-casted, stuck portraying only one role, when they're capable of many.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
I hate it when actors with the potential to play various opposing roles end up being type-casted, stuck portraying only one role, when they're capable of many.
For some reason, I decided to Google "world's most typecast actor" which led me to Jagdish Raj who actually has the Guinness record for it. I guess it's too late for him to get a new agent now.

Jagdish Raj, an actor who held a world record after playing a policeman 144 times on screen, has died. The Bollywood legend was technically the most typecast actor ever, famous for playing a police detective in films such as Mazdoor and Imaan Dharam. He in fact held the Guinness World Record for the dubious honour, which was achieved during a 21 year career.

Last edited:
AnTiFreeze3 said:
I agree. It's money, of course. If one sort of role hauled in big bucks there'll be tremendous pressure from the industry to keep them repeating the trick over and over. Stallone has a much bigger range than circumstances have ever permitted him to demonstrate. That's not to say he's an outright chameleon like Gary Oldman, but he's not the two dimensional actor people think he is. He's funneled into two dimensions by directors and producers for the benefit of two dimensional audiences who, never-the-less, spend three dimensional bucks to watch him.

krash661 said:
you can time travel.

I always do it. One direction, one speed.

zoobyshoe said:
The first thing I googled was "palm trees on fire". I passed on posting any of those here because none of them was equal to the intensity of the fire I saw. I thought, when I first saw it in the distance, a jetliner had crashed, or some tanker truck full of flammable liquid had overturned and caught fire. There was a candle wick proportion to the flames, with the trees as the wick and the flames that much higher than the trees. My sense of a palm tree is that mature ones are about 100 feet tall, so I figure trees + flames were at 200 feet.

Anyway, I'm now worried about the structural integrity of the elevated onramp that was getting licked by the flames. I hope they do a thorough evaluation of it.
I want to know who set them on fire and beat the ever loving crud out of them.

Evo said:

Evo awakens in the middle of the night, startled and panicked.

Suddenly, a plethora of memories floods her all at once, as she begins piecing together the series of events that forms a dark and unwanted truth.
______

It was a peaceful drive home from work. Evo, being a good citizen as always, had picked up a littered box of matches on her way to her car. Due to the heat of the summer, her windows were rolled down, and the nice breeze eased the heat. The wind began to pick up, and the wind, coupled with the rolled down windows, was enough to send many important-looking papers flying out of the windows. In the resulting chaos of trying to grasp the fluttering papers, she hadn't noticed that something that once sat upon her dashboard was no longer there.

The box of matches.

It finally dawned on her. It was her own fault. She knew what she had to do, and tears streamed down her face as she raised her fists to her own face, and proceeded to beat the ever-loving crud out of the arsonist who she so hated.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Evo awakens in the middle of the night, startled and panicked.

Suddenly, a plethora of memories floods her all at once, as she begins piecing together the series of events that forms a dark and unwanted truth.
______

It was a peaceful drive home from work. Evo, being a good citizen as always, had picked up a littered box of matches on her way to her car. Due to the heat of the summer, her windows were rolled down, and the nice breeze eased the heat. The wind began to pick up, and the wind, coupled with the rolled down windows, was enough to send many important-looking papers flying out of the windows. In the resulting chaos of trying to grasp the fluttering papers, she hadn't noticed that something that once sat upon her dashboard was no longer there.

The box of matches.

It finally dawned on her. It was her own fault. She knew what she had to do, and tears streamed down her face as she raised her fists to her own face, and proceeded to beat the ever-loving crud out of the arsonist who she so hated.
:cry: Yes, it was you anti! You struck the match. I tried to blot that moment out of my mind, but... Why, oh why I kept asking myself, why did you do it?? And are you ok, I didn't mean to hit you so hard. :cry: you ran out into the night, at least, I thought it was you. (I wasn't wearing my glasses)

Or maybe it was...

Last edited:
Evo said:
:cry: Yes, it was you anti! You struck the match. I tried to blot that moment out of my mind, but... Why, oh why I kept asking myself, why did you do it?? And are you ok, I didn't mean to hit you so hard. :cry: you ran out into the night, at least, I thought it was you. (I wasn't wearing my glasses)

Or maybe it was...

The wounds will heal over time :frown:

Evo said:
I hope they're looking into that, too, in the event it was deliberate arson. This turned out to be the case with the huge wildfire in East County a few years back that destroyed a lot of homes.

OMG. I posted the following on a textbook thread by mistake. Meant to post it here.

I wish our dog liked me more. All day he hangs out in the living room waiting for his packleader (my wife) to come home. I invited him to hang out here in the office with me today. I put his bed in here and gave him a bone. Twice I did this. He humored me for about 10 minutes each time then went back in the livingroom. Perhaps I cannot escape the fact that I am a cat person, and he knows it...

• #1,000
This is this thread's 1000th post.

• #1,001
Enigman said:
This is this thread's 1000th post.

Evo said:
In order to help with server load, we are splitting up the larger threads.

This is a continuation of the original Random Thoughts thread located here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338126

Time for Part 3?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,002
dlgoff said:
Time for Part 3?

The original was 1100 PAGES before it got split. It's the moderators call, but I think we're just getting warmed up here.

• #1,003
gawd it's a tough world for introverts :frown:

• #1,004
My ears are burning. :(

• #1,005
It rained!

and I saw a rainbow

Then I thought of a new to be bride, who asked about rainbows.

I took numerous pictures of rainbows over the last 30 days.

The first rainbow made me think of the bride.

The universe, is wonderful.

Good night.

• #1,006
You took pictures over the last 30 days and you're sharing this with us.. In words??

*points Evo's ban gun at Om*

• #1,007
Gad said:
You took pictures over the last 30 days and you're sharing this with us.. In words??

*points Evo's ban gun at Om*

You should hear the story of the spider in my truck. It's been playing in my head all week. :smile:

• #1,008
... *thinks Om's drunk*

Or maybe I need to sleep. :)

• #1,009
Gad said:
... *thinks Om's drunk*

Or maybe I need to sleep. :)

I should probably change my profile, and modus operandi...

Being drunk, is just too easy... (hic!)

Ok. I'm really going to bed now... :blushing:

:zzz:

• #1,010
I hate looking at the Callender.

• #1,011
I've realized I've started to have issues about some people who tend to be overcontrolling and "drama queens" in my acquaintanceship (I had to consult wiktionary for these words :smile:). O' ye great oracle of PF random thoughts, how to deal with this situation? I find I have a hard time with drama queens, they deplete my energy...

• #1,012
DennisN said:
I've realized I've started to have issues about some people who tend to be overcontrolling and "drama queens" in my acquaintanceship (I had to consult wiktionary for these words :smile:). O' ye great oracle of PF random thoughts, how to deal with this situation? I find I have a hard time with drama queens, they deplete my energy...

Don't bother with them in the first place. Life is just too short.

You might do some introspection to see how it is you are initially attracted to them.

Likes 1 person
  • #1,013
lisab said:
Don't bother with them in the first place. Life is just too short.

You might do some introspection to see how it is you are initially attracted to them.

Thanks for the good answer, o 'ye great oracle :smile:. Introspection is probably a good idea, I have to do something about this. Maybe there is a little sleeping drama queen inside of me who are attracted to other drama queens? Hmm, makes me wonder... I don't want to turn into a drama queen :biggrin:.

Last edited:
  • #1,014
DennisN said:
Thanks for the good answer, o 'ye great oracle :smile:. Introspection is probably a good idea, I have to do something about this. Maybe there is a little sleeping drama queen inside of me who are attracted to other drama queens? Hmm, makes me wonder... I don't want to turn into a drama queen :biggrin:.

There is something compelling about people who generate lots of drama - I've fallen into that. But it gets exhausting soon enough.

Introspection is so hard! Perhaps scientists/engineers might be better at it than others, due to all our training to be objective, but still it's not an easy thing to do.

Your comment hits close to home, btw: someone very close to me is dealing with a person who is controlling and has created lots of drama in the last few years.

• #1,015
darn, found an old tv show I used to enjoy watching decades ago, and it's complete garbage, I can't watch it. Maybe it will get better. For the time, it had cool computers and holographs, and a cool castle and old books, kind of like a warehouse 13.

<sigh>

The pretty girl on the show was the daughter of Tommy Chong, of "cheech and chong".