Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #1,576
An old pillow without a pillowcase...looks like a bandage from a Civil War field hospital.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,577
Well Liddell & Scott says I guessed right. http://perseus.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.47:4:64.LSJ

• #1,578
It's thundering...

• #1,579
lisab said:
An old pillow without a pillowcase...looks like a bandage from a Civil War field hospital.

I have a bunch of those. What does one do with a dozen old pillows?

• #1,581
AlephZero said:
Well Liddell & Scott says I guessed right. http://perseus.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.47:4:64.LSJ
A uniphthong, then, is a phthong that can be worn by lispers of either sex.

• #1,582
Common sense ain't so common nowadays.

• #1,583
An old friend called yesterday and said he and his wife would be stopping by in about 15 minutes. My wife and I got more cleaning done in that 15 minutes than we usually do in a week.

• #1,584
Chilies and cherries in dark chocolate: the best!

I always buy this lovely chocolate brand that coats the chocolate with a love poem. :!)

• #1,585
edward said:
An old friend called yesterday and said he and his wife would be stopping by in about 15 minutes. My wife and I got more cleaning done in that 15 minutes than we usually do in a week.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that does that.

• #1,586
A poem, apparently posted somewhere at or near Race Point, Cape Cod National Seashore.

Each day we die a little more ;
Stale custom takes its toll:
It is the unexpected Thing
That brings life to the soul.
-Harry Kemp (1883 – 1960)

• #1,587
edward said:

Evo said:

I invited some friends for a cookout a couple weeks ago. That's the only way I can get the house cleaned.

• #1,588
Evo said:

I once had to fill the oven with dirty dishes because there was no where else to put them :redface:. In my defense, I had just given birth a few weeks before and my then-husband was on a business trip. Someone wanted to 'just drop by to see the baby'.

• #1,589
lisab said:
I once had to fill the oven with dirty dishes because there was no where else to put them :redface:. In my defense, I had just given birth a few weeks before and my then-husband was on a business trip. Someone wanted to 'just drop by to see the baby'.
I got a call that an old friend was stopping by, I grabbed a large trash bag, gathered everything that was lying around, mail, magazines, kid's toys, and tossed it into the basement. I did the "dishes into the oven" once, my neighbor saw me outside and said, I've got something for you, I'll be right over. NOOOOOO.

• #1,590
Astronuc said:
A poem, apparently posted somewhere at or near Race Point, Cape Cod National Seashore.

Each day we die a little more ;
Stale custom takes its toll:
It is the unexpected Thing
That brings life to the soul.
-Harry Kemp (1883 – 1960)

Nice one Astro. :)

• #1,591
It must have been a productive day today. Lots of stuff got done and my back hurts.

But it seems to have gone by in a flash, or maybe a blur. A blurry flash?

• #1,592
I will occasionally think up witty remarks to say to snarky customers whilst I'm working, should I ever encounter any (and I do).

But usually what happens is something like this:
The customer, implementing some hyperbole: "About time! I've been sitting in the drive-thru for half an hour already!"

Me: "I'm sorry, sir. We're doing the best we can."

Customer: "Well it sure doesn't look like it."

He, your everyday megalomaniac, proceeds to be an unnecessarily difficult customer, often guffawing at the simplest of questions as if I just asked him to take his pants off.

But here's what, at the time, I wish I could have said:
The customer, implementing some hyperbole: "About time! I've been sitting in the drive-thru for half an ho-"

Me: "Sir, can you count?"

Customer, presumably startled and confused: "What kind of question is that?"

Me: "Well, if you could, then you would realize that there are a mere eight employees currently working, only three of which are working on the drive-thru. With it being night-time, when we're the most busy, I would go so far as to say that, presently, there are at least 50 customers, many of which have multiple items they're ordering. Doesn't it make just a little bit of sense to you that you had to wait for ten minutes?"

Customer: *Breaks down into tears, acknowledges that I am entirely right, and then proceeds to give me $100 as recompense for his ignorance.*

One can dream...

• #1,593
AnTiFreeze3 said:
I will occasionally think up witty remarks to say to snarky customers whilst I'm working, should I ever encounter any (and I do).

But usually what happens is something like this:
The customer, implementing some hyperbole: "About time! I've been sitting in the drive-thru for half an hour already!"

Me: "I'm sorry, sir. We're doing the best we can."

Customer: "Well it sure doesn't look like it."

He, your everyday megalomaniac, proceeds to be an unnecessarily difficult customer, often guffawing at the simplest of questions as if I just asked him to take his pants off.

But here's what, at the time, I wish I could have said:
The customer, implementing some hyperbole: "About time! I've been sitting in the drive-thru for half an ho-"

Me: "Sir, can you count?"

Customer, presumably startled and confused: "What kind of question is that?"

Me: "Well, if you could, then you would realize that there are a mere eight employees currently working, only three of which are working on the drive-thru. With it being night-time, when we're the most busy, I would go so far as to say that, presently, there are at least 50 customers, many of which have multiple items they're ordering. Doesn't it make just a little bit of sense to you that you had to wait for ten minutes?"

Customer: *Breaks down into tears, acknowledges that I am entirely right, and then proceeds to give me $100 as recompense for his ignorance.*

One can dream...
Many years ago I worked at a bakery/coffee shop. A lot of customers couldn't pronounce the word croissant. This irritated me.

So, this girl who worked there and I made a big poster with all the mispronunciations on it all crossed out in red marker, and at the end, the proper French one.

We had to take it down because some customers complained to the owner that it made them feel stupid. That, of course, had been exactly what we set out to demonstrate. However, it turned out, to our surprise, telling your customers they're stupid is bad for business.

• #1,594
Failed at all exams (got C- 's):cry:

• #1,595
Talking of croissants ...

Once on a business trip to France, we had arrived at a company by car to start the day's work. This was the sort of company with lots of security - the visitor's car park was outside a high fence and wall. We were looking around, a bit bleary eyed, figuring out where the entrance was, when an ancient and battered french car came screaming across the car park, did a four-wheel slide on the gravel, missed our car by a few millimeters and stopped a few millimeters from the fence. Several people piled out of it, including one of our hosts - who emerged from the left hand side front door with both hands, and mouth, all full of hot croissants and butter.

Being Brits who drive on the other side of the road, it took us a few seconds to realize the significance of "the left hand side front door." I guess "driving under the influence of croissants" is not listed in the French legal code!

• #1,596
I hate the word GOT, only because it sounds horrible, could you get through a day without saying GOT, i bet a $1
you can not.

• #1,597
wolram said:
I hate the word GOT, only because it sounds horrible, could you get through a day without saying GOT, i bet a $1
you can not.

You just lost.

Unless you come here and force me to discuss Goths. One Goth is "got" in Polish.

• #1,598
inotyce said:
Failed at all exams (got C- 's):cry:
Awwww. That's not failing!

BIG {{{HUG}}}

What happened?

• #1,599
AlephZero said:
who emerged from the left hand side front door with both hands, and mouth, all full of hot croissants and butter.

Your story and description of the croissants...You are evil :frown:

AlephZero said:
Being Brits who drive on the other side of the road, it took us a few seconds to realize the significance of "the left hand side front door." I guess "driving under the influence of croissants" is not listed in the French legal code!

Trust me, if anything, the delicious smell of a hot croissant au chocolat, or a croissant au fromage would easily disturb all of your senses except smelling, see nothing, hear nothing, feel nothing. But no worries soon it will make its way into the French legal code:wink:

• #1,600
AlephZero said:

Once on a business trip to France, we had arrived at a company by car to start the day's work. This was the sort of company with lots of security - the visitor's car park was outside a high fence and wall. We were looking around, a bit bleary eyed, figuring out where the entrance was, when an ancient and battered french car came screaming across the car park, did a four-wheel slide on the gravel, missed our car by a few millimeters and stopped a few millimeters from the fence. Several people piled out of it, including one of our hosts - who emerged from the left hand side front door with both hands, and mouth, all full of hot croissants and butter.

French people are crazy! (I'm French)

• #1,601
Borek said:
You just lost.

Unless you come here and force me to discuss Goths. One Goth is "got" in Polish.

HUH, a $1 to Borek ;-]

• #1,602
Evo said:

That car driver was quite a character. I once saw him typing non-stop with one hand, while opening a new packet of Gauloises, extracting one, and lighting up with the other hand.

And he had one of the sharpest brains of anybody I've met. His response to something was usually a big sigh (and a cloud of Gaulois smoke), followed by "well, I know nossings about zees topic, I have nevair worked on eet. BUT...

And you knew that whatever followed the "but" was going to completely wreck your argument!

• #1,603
Evo said:
For Evo: Liberté, égalité, fraternité, and Mireille Mathieu (I like that version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3IvXo0W1YI

• #1,604
Why do I forget.. A LOT.

• #1,605
Gad said:
Why do I forget.. A LOT.

You're not alone :smile:. Too many things on your mind, perhaps?

Excuses when forgetting something important:

1. "A cosmic ray probably hit one of my main neurons. It can happen."
2. "The brain follows the Rules of Quantum Mechanics, so it is probabilistic."
3. "Look on the bright side: In another world, there might be a version of me who remembered."
4. "Second law of thermodynamics. I can't do anything about it."

• #1,606
As a returning adult in the world of academia, I just have to say, that the current generation has the potential to be one of the greatest the world has yet seen...

...if they would just stop playing with their ****** phones.

-Dave K

• #1,607
dkotschessaa said:
As a returning adult in the world of academia, I just have to say, that the current generation has the potential to be one of the greatest the world has yet seen...

-Dave K
Maybe there's an app for that.

• #1,608

Anybody waiting for a Star Wars with customizable Luke Skywalker?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,609
I have just accepted that Evo Child's smart phone is part of who she is. Now that her phone synchs up to her new car, the car has become an extension of her phone, and she spends a lot of time in her car. Well, her car *is* a smart phone on wheels. It's amazing how dependent her generation is on technology. But I must admit that on a cold morning being able to call your car and tell it to start and get the heater going so that it's all warm and defrosted before you leave the house is a very nice thing.

• #1,610
dkotschessaa said:

No can do.
My phone has all the course related material (class notes, slides, etc.), my mind maps, my flash cards, my graphers(3D, parametric and polar), my to-do-list (without which I'm lost) and of course the PF app...