Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,241
phion said:

You are just asking for it...
:devil:Let's trill...
"www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPTaE59mwBQ‎"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPTaE59mwBQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,242
Mandelbroth said:
I just listened to this. I'm crying with laughter. :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

In case anyone haven't seen... Bohemian Gravity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rjbtsX7twc

• #2,243
Uck. Why listen to the arrangement my Kreisler, rearranged by "anonymous" and by played by somebody who claims to play "violin techno-acoustic fusion", when you can have the original version?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUQAv4To4s

• #2,244
Thanks to coding theory, I now realize I possesses an entirely useless skill: I can tell you whether an ISBN code is valid or not.

Can't wait to add that one to my resume.

• #2,245
lisab said:
We can send a man to the moon, but we can't make Christmas lights that work reliably.

We should have never sent a man to the moon. It just makes everything else we do seem crappy in comparison.

• #2,246
Yesterday I was thinking about frozen turkeys again and had a question about water at really low temperatures so I googled the forum and found a thread where the person talked about ice XI being similar to glass at such a low temperature and someone else said glass was a liquid because they'd found evidence of glass flowing from ancient Egypt which I thought was ridiculous because I didn't remember ever seeing windows in any pyramids so I went to the wiki entry on glass and was immediately distracted by a very pretty glass ball.

2013.11.25.wiki.very.pretty.220px-Glass-Ball.jpg

Very pretty indeed.

Just then my boss walked in and asked what I was doing and I told him that glass originated on the shores of ancient Syria and in Egypt. Just beads and stuff, but no windows. I don't remember how he responded, but he told me to listen to a voice message on speaker phone. The caller left their name and number and had a problem. I recognized the name but couldn't put a face to the name. We have about 15,000 employees so I mix people up all the time. So I went to our intranet and searched for her web page hoping to get an image of her. Instead of an image of herself, she had posted the following:

2013.11.25.wiki.very.pretty.220px-Glass-Ball.jpg

I thought that was a very strange coincidence. I wonder if she's been thinking about Thanksgiving, also.

• #2,247
OmCheeto said:
Yesterday I was thinking about frozen turkeys again and had a question about water at really low temperatures so I googled the forum and found a thread where the person talked about ice XI being similar to glass at such a low temperature and someone else said glass was a liquid because they'd found evidence of glass flowing from ancient Egypt which I thought was ridiculous because I didn't remember ever seeing windows in any pyramids

Its a common misconception about glass being a super-cooled liquid. Though usually old church windows which are thicker at the bottom is cited as a reason. At that time, glassblowers created glass cylinders that were then flattened to make panes of glass. The resulting pieces may never have been uniformly flat and workers installing the windows preferred, for one reason or another, to put the thicker sides of the pane at the bottom. This gives them a melted look, but does not mean glass is a true liquid.
Glass is neither a supercooled liquid nor a solid. Its an Amorphous solid (something between the two, no long range order):
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fact-fiction-glass-liquid

• #2,248
Enigman said:
Its a common misconception about glass being a super-cooled liquid. Though usually old church windows which are thicker at the bottom is cited as a reason. At that time, glassblowers created glass cylinders that were then flattened to make panes of glass. The resulting pieces may never have been uniformly flat and workers installing the windows preferred, for one reason or another, to put the thicker sides of the pane at the bottom. This gives them a melted look, but does not mean glass is a true liquid.
Glass is neither a supercooled liquid nor a solid. Its an Amorphous solid (something between the two, no long range order):
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fact-fiction-glass-liquid

That sounds like the story I've heard. And what on Earth is an amorphous solid?

google google

Mayonnaise and glass are both classified as amorphous solids?

Amorphous solids are comprised of particles (atoms, grains, bubbles, molecules) arranged so that the locations of their centers of mass are disordered; their structure is essentially indistinguishable from a liquid.

So crystals are the only real solids?

And what about liquid crystals?

I think I'll go back to bed.

• #2,249
OmCheeto said:
That sounds like the story I've heard. And what on Earth is an amorphous solid?

google google

Mayonnaise and glass are both classified as amorphous solids?

So crystals are the only real solids?
Wiki says no.
The atoms in a solid are tightly bound to each other, either in a regular geometric lattice (crystalline solids, which include metals and ordinary ice) or irregularly (an amorphous solid such as common window glass).

So, its more like a sub-division of solid

And what about liquid crystals?

Gad would be better suited to answer about liquid crystals, but still from wiki-

Liquid crystal states have properties intermediate between mobile liquids and ordered solids. Generally, they are able to flow like a liquid, but exhibiting long-range order. For example, the nematic phase consists of long rod-like molecules such as para-azoxyanisole, which is nematic in the temperature range 118–136 °C.[8] In this state the molecules flow as in a liquid, but they all point in the same direction (within each domain) and cannot rotate freely.

• #2,250
dkotschessaa said:
Thanks to coding theory, I now realize I possesses an entirely useless skill: I can tell you whether an ISBN code is valid or not.

Can't wait to add that one to my resume.
If you learn the ins and outs of forward error detection and correction, that is a very useful thing to put on your resume.

• #2,251
OmCheeto said:
I always say stuff like this on weekends, but then I just end up going back to my whiteboards (I got 2 more :biggrin:) and working through problems out of whatever book I happen to want to work from that day. Life's too short to sleep.

• #2,252
My pen is stuck.

• #2,253
Mandelbroth said:
... Life's too short to sleep.

I don't agree. Life can be very long so long as your longing to lengthen your experiences is sufficient.

• #2,254
For those of you that wanted to see my eyes after exposure to the toxin in the shrimp. I don't even look human.

Attachments

• shrimp toxin exposure.jpg
    shrimp toxin exposure.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 362
  • #2,255
Eww Evo

• #2,256
phion said:
Eww Evo
:cry:

• #2,257
Oh my :frown: You look like my step-mother after eating mustard.

Technically even if I lived with my Mom second wife of my Dad was my step-mother, wasn't she?

• #2,258
:frown: take some Benadryl, quick!

• #2,259
lisab said:
:frown: take some Benadryl, quick!
I had to see the doctor the next day, I was taking large doses of Benadryl and it wasn't helping, the swelling wasn't going down. The doctor prescribed oral corticosteroids and steroid drops for my eyes, that seems to be working, but it's been 3 days and there is still a lot of swelling, but the "burned" look is much lighter.

It seems a chemical called sodium tripolyphosphate is added to seafood to plump it up and add weight. Apparently it is not regulated and there is no telling how much of this chemical was in the batch of shrimp (from china) I was handling. It is a chemical used for toilet cleansers and is considered a severe eye and skin irritant. Apparently I handled the shrimp, then touched my eyes and face, even though the shrimp had been thoroughly rinsed. Within minutes the burning caused me to get to the bathroom to try to flush my eyes with water, and I noticed all of my skin on my face looked burned where I had touched it. Within a few minutes one eye was completely swollen shut and the other mostly swollen under the eye.

Last edited:
  • #2,260
Evo said:
I had to see the doctor the next day, I was taking large doses of Benadryl and it wasn't helping, the swelling wasn't going down. The doctor prescribed oral corticosteroids and steroid drops for my eyes, that seems to be working, but it's been 3 days and there is still a lot of swelling, but the "burned" look is much lighter.

It seems a chemical called sodium tripolyphosphate is added to seafood to plump it up and add weight. Apparently it is not regulated and there is no telling how much of this chemical was in the batch of shrimp (from china) I was handling. It is a chemical used for toilet cleansers and is considered a severe eye and skin irritant. Apparently I handled the shrimp, then touched my eyes and face, even though the shrimp had been thoroughly rinsed. Within minutes the burning caused me to get to the bathroom to try to flush my eyes with water, and I noticed all of my skin on my face looked burned where I had touched it. Within a few minutes one eye was completely swollen shut and the other mostly swollen under the eye.

Dang, that sounds horrible. I hope you're better soon!

I worry about our food supply. More and more, I look for "country of origin" on the label. I will buy local even if it's more expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,261
Evo said:
Apparently it is not regulated and there is no telling how much of this chemical was in the batch of shrimp (from china) I was handling.

lisab said:
More and more, I look for "country of origin" on the label.

At my last job working in a USDA lab, I read one news letter stating that some soy sauce made from human hair was discovered.

• #2,262
dlgoff said:
At my last job working in a USDA lab, I read one news letter stating that some soy sauce made from human hair was discovered.

Whaaaaaaaa?

By which I mean, Whaaaaaaaa??

• #2,263
I wonder what all we've consumed that we weren't aware of?

• #2,264
dlgoff said:
i wonder what all we've consumed that we weren't aware of?
Aaaaaarrrgggh!

• #2,265
dlgoff said:

You probably don't want to know it.

• #2,266
I should use more 'one's while talking...One like using 'one's while talking to one...
:smile:

• #2,267
Borek said:

Anybody remember this SNL Sketch?

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/86/86qheaven.phtml

[Guy talking to an angel in heaven right after his own death]

Deceased: Well. Let's see.. what's the grossest thing I ever ate?

Angel: You don't want to know.

Deceased: Oh. Okay. What about the 200th grossest thing?

Angel: Okay.. that would be some butterscotch pudding that had a dead earwig in it.

Deceased: [ grimaces ] Oh, gross! You mean I never tasted it!

Angel: Well, you made this very funny face.. but you were watching a football game on TV at the time..

• #2,268
collinsmark said:
If you learn the ins and outs of forward error detection and correction, that is a very useful thing to put on your resume.

Perhaps my sarcasm is ill founded then. Would you mind expounding a bit in this post of mine?

-Dave K

• #2,269
dlgoff said:

Borek said:

Whatever it was, it hasn't killed you yet.

But you are still going to die, eventually :smile:

• #2,270
Evo said:
For those of you that wanted to see my eyes after exposure to the toxin in the shrimp. I don't even look human.
Wow, that's quite an allergic/toxic reaction!

• #2,271
AlephZero said:
Whatever it was, it hasn't killed you yet.

But you are still going to die, eventually :smile:
There was a line in a novel I read recently that went something like, "All these health nuts are going to be surprised eventually when they die...of nothing."

• #2,272
Evo said:

Ouch!

Lovely eyebrows though.

(I see the good in every situation).

-Dave K

• #2,273
zoobyshoe said:
I read recently that went something like, "All these health nuts are going to be surprised eventually when they die...of nothing."

There was a guy at work who spent a lot of time finding the "best" sources of organic food etc, and also spent a lot of time researching organic remedies for all the minor ailments he had.

We kept telling him he could get two slices of his life back by eating junk like everybody else, but he was immune to that sort of logic.

• #2,274
zoobyshoe said:
There was a line in a novel I read recently that went something like, "All these health nuts are going to be surprised eventually when they die...of nothing."

Better to live healthy and die of old age than live your last days walking on a limb, organs failing and looking like you lost a fight to a swarm of bees

• #2,275
Caveat said:
Better to live healthy and die of old age than live your last days walking on a limb, organs failing and looking like you lost a fight to a swarm of bees

Exactly. It's about quality of life. And most people cited as living unhealthily/exceptionally long are just statistical anomalies.