Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #2,661
All this emulsion talk is taking me back to Arkansas. Left there at age 4 but will never forget being with Grandma milking the cow then churning the cream.

woman-milk-cow-dairy-farm-4137664.jpg

$_35.JPG

Nothing like fresh warm raw cow milk and real butter.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,662
When I was a kid (over 50 years ago), the local dairy farmer kept only Jerseys and Guernseys. He told me as a child that Holsteins gave only water, not milk. We got our milk in glass quart jugs, and at least a third of every bottle was cream. Shake them up and enjoy whole milk and/or pour off the cream and make butter every couple of days.

Mr. Hughes got put out of business because he could't afford to buy extra equipment to pasteurize the milk. He had agitators in his holding tanks to homogenize the milk, but when the Feds and the state demanded that the milk be pasteurized, he was done for. At his age, the investment made no sense.

• #2,663
Enigman said:
Is cheese an emulsion?

Not real cheese, like
234801.jpg

If Stilton doesn't smell like sweaty feet and try to crawl off the plate when it sees the cheese knife, it's not ready to eat yet...

But "elf and safety" means you don't get the real deal these days. Daniel Defoe (author of Robinsom Crusoe) wrote
We passed Stilton, a town famous for cheese, which is called our English Parmesan, and is brought to table with the mites, or maggots round it, so thick, that they bring a spoon with them for you to eat the mites with, as you do the cheese.

• #2,664
I'd have to be really hungry to eat cheese like that.

• #2,665
So I went to get my usual Bhakti chai from a cafe close to campus, and was 'shocked' they had to close for some reconstructions. I went to a nearby store in the hope they might have it, the owner said no, but told me there's a small poetry cafe just across the street, they have Bhakti. I was surprised I didn't know it--I almost know most places that serve it:biggrin:--and it was close from my usual cafe. Anyway, I went in and instantly felt the intimacy of place. Its walls are covered by bookshelves that are filled with different poetry and prose books :!). I took a random book along with my chai. I enjoyed both my Bhakti and the poems in the book. I found this one wondrous:

Wonder

Wide-eyed she'll find you every time.
She will not steal your heart or soul.
She will not say: away from here
The sea rocks gently in its bowl,

the moon's the ghost of Gilgamesh
floating toward the silver pine,
the love you lost is dwelling with
the peregrine and golden eye,

and by the bye,

deep in your chest, a well exists.

She is too busy changing form.
The hand upon your shoulder lifts.
She will not take your world by the storm.

Likes 1 person
  • #2,666
That just sounds beautiful, milady.

• #2,667
I was looking around in a local bookstore and the poetry shelf looked funny, there miniature books entitled "Don't worry, you are only 30" the next one said "Don't worry, you are only 40" then "Don't worry, you are only 50".. made me wonder, well when does worrying start then? :D

• #2,668
lendav_rott said:
I was looking around in a local bookstore and the poetry shelf looked funny, there miniature books entitled "Don't worry, you are only 30" the next one said "Don't worry, you are only 40" then "Don't worry, you are only 50".. made me wonder, well when does worrying start then? :D

When one's 20.

• #2,669
phion said:
I'd have to be really hungry to eat cheese like that.

Really? I am tempted to go home early and drop by the local cheesy shop and get some, as I've never experienced this "Stilton" cheese.

Moldy cheese rules!

google google google

YES! It's for sale across the street. I'll have a pound, thank you very much!

• #2,670
OmCheeto said:
Really? I am tempted to go home early and drop by the local cheesy shop and get some, as I've never experienced this "Stilton" cheese.

Moldy cheese rules!

google google google

YES! It's for sale across the street. I'll have a pound, thank you very much!

I was talking more about the Stilton, though I wouldn't mind trying a moldy cheese. Sounds delightful.

• #2,671
Freezing above, hot as hell downunder:
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Bats are dropping from trees, kangaroos are collapsing in the Outback and gardens are turning brown. While North America freezes under record polar temperatures, the southern hemisphere is experiencing the opposite extreme as heat records are being set in Australia after the hottest year ever.

Weather forecasters in Australia said some parts of the sparsely populated Pilbara region along the rugged northwest coast were approaching 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit) on Thursday...
http://news.yahoo.com/no-deep-freeze-australia-swelters-heat-wave-132947475.html

• #2,672
3-banger tricycle car coming in 2015. $6,800!

http://news.yahoo.com/three-wheel-6-800-car-gears-2015-us-193306020.html

"We didn't design it to be cool," he said. "It was cool by accident."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #2,673
phion said:
I was talking more about the Stilton, though I wouldn't mind trying a moldy cheese. Sounds delightful.
:confused: Um... whatever...

Oh.. My... God...

Stilton is to die for. :thumbs:10 Aleph

Thank god my nose is stuffed up, as there was no whiff of smelly feet. It's like moldy ice cream. :-p

There was also a small block of apparently very jealous French cheese, who had the same look, so I grabbed it also. Does anyone know if: "Spo persille du berujolais herve mons affinage" means: "I smell like smelly socks also, please buy me!"? My French is very, very poor.

• #2,674
I hate travelling.

• #2,675
Don't travel.

• #2,676
Pulled my hamstring so badly yesterday. I can barely walk today.

• #2,677
Gad said:
Wonder

Wide-eyed she'll find you every time.
She will not steal your heart or soul.
She will not say: away from here
The sea rocks gently in its bowl,

the moon's the ghost of Gilgamesh
floating toward the silver pine,
the love you lost is dwelling with
the peregrine and golden eye,

and by the bye,

deep in your chest, a well exists.

She is too busy changing form.
The hand upon your shoulder lifts.
She will not take your world by the storm.
Who is the author? That's a beautiful poem. :approve:

OmCheeto said:
It's like moldy ice cream. :-p
How is that, in any way, appetizing?

• #2,678
Mandelbroth said:
That is a good one. Very Apropos!

• #2,679
So, this barista at the Newtonian Cafe came out on the patio and sat by me during her break. We started talking and talked for a while, then a customer showed up and she ran back into wait on him.

Later she came back out and gave me a free fancy drink, iced something with whipped cream and chocolate syrup. It was scrumptious.

• #2,680
zoobyshoe said:
So, this barista at the Newtonian Cafe came out on the patio and sat by me during her break. We started talking and talked for a while, then a customer showed up and she ran back into wait on him.

Later she came back out and gave me a free fancy drink, iced something with whipped cream and chocolate syrup. It was scrumptious.
Is there a drawing in progress? :!)

• #2,681
Mandelbroth said:

Unfortunately, I don't know. I just took a snapshot of that page to type it later here. And I couldn't find it online. I'll let you know if I go there next time and find the book. :)

• #2,682
dlgoff said:

:!):!):!)

• #2,683
Why do I have no bed-dogs? Duke usually warms my toes and Lola cuddles up to me and keeps my my chest and face warm. When my wife heads off to bed, I lose my dogs...

• #2,684
turbo said:
Why do I have no bed-dogs? Duke usually warms my toes and Lola cuddles up to me and keeps my my chest and face warm. When my wife heads off to bed, I lose my dogs...
Sorry to hear that. I know there's been a lot of three-dog nights lately up there.

• #2,685
dlgoff said:
No. This particular barista has never seen my drawings. It's been too cold to draw there on the patio and all the indoor tables are always taken up. They don't have much inside seating.

• #2,686
Maturity - when you realize you can also turn the volume knob to the left.

Check.

• #2,687
"This is finally my fav piece - sound of silence".

• #2,688
OmCheeto said:
Does anyone know if: "Spo persille du berujolais herve mons affinage" means: "I smell like smelly socks also, please buy me!"? My French is very, very poor.

Nope, it means "the spelling checker of my aunt has been struck by lightning".

• #2,689
AlephZero said:
Nope, it means "the spelling checker of my aunt has been struck by lightning".

Ah ha! Thank you. I did eat it last night, and it was not half as good as the Stilton.

• #2,690
Aitzaz Hasan, 14, stopped a suicide bomber from entering his school Monday and sacrificed his life to protect his fellow students.

http://news.yahoo.com/teen-dies-saving-classmates-suicide-bomber-223018543--abc-news-topstories.html

Peace be upon him and his family.

• #2,691
I am craving hummus and pickles. Good thing I'm of the male gender or else I would be a bit worried :rolleyes:

• #2,692
New cell phone, finally. I'm using it to write this post. Of course, the Physics Forums app was the first to download and use. :smile:

• #2,693
I would never be able to get used to smartphones. I was forced to use some apple iphone 4 as a workphone, I immediately remembered one of Lewis Black's standups where he commented on the iphone as "Excuse me, is there an app that would turn this [profanity] into a [very much profanity] phone?!

..aaaand I agree completely.

Can't say about other phones, as much as I've tried telling my sister how to use her Samsung galaxy something, I can't make heads or tails of it.

I use a phone for calling people and sending sms, I have a computer for internet browsing.

• #2,694
Up to last week I was developing for Windows and at times it was an extremely frustrating experience.

Now I started to learn Android and Java, and I already miss good, old times.

• #2,695
Borek said:
Up to last week I was developing for Windows and at times it was an extremely frustrating experience.

Now I started to learn Android and Java, and I already miss good, old times.
Are you saying they're even harder than Windows, or are you saying they're so easy they're no challenge?