Navigating the Tensions in Ukraine: A Scientific Perspective

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
In summary, the Munich Agreement was an agreement between the Soviet Union and the United Kingdom that divided Czechoslovakia into the Soviet Union and the United States.
hutchphd said:
As a moral issue it seems pretty clear that the west has already vacated the moral high ground, perhaps permanently.
Although I agree /w you I suggest we not follow that line of discussion since it will inevitably lead to arguments since it is inextricably tied to politics.

Likes Oldman too
Physics news on Phys.org
Filip Larsen said:
I worry too, mostly because it is currently not apparent why Putin is doing this so its not clear when he will stop.
I heard a very interesting input on this in an interview on CNN or MSNBC yesterday which made some sense to me (regretfully I don't have a source for it at the moment, but I think I remembered who said it, so I will try to find a link on the net and post it later*).

According to the person interviewed he/she (I think it was a she) said that the reason for Russias action against Ukraine is not primarily because of any NATO expansion. Instead it is because Ukraine is a functional democracy which is/would be threatening to Russia which is an authoritarian state. If Ukraine is a functional, prosperous democracy which is looking to the West, people in Russia may start to realize that their lives could become better if Russia was a functional democracy. This reasoning makes quite much sense to me.

Nevertheless, Putins recent speech about historical grievances in general (with dubious historical accuracy) was worrying to hear.

* Update: I've made an initial search but could not find anything. If I remember correctly the reasoning came from a female author of history books (Ann something, I think).

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, valenumr, Oldman too and 3 others
DennisN said:
According to the person interviewed he/she (I think it was a she) said that the reason for Russias action against Ukraine is not primarily because of any NATO expansion. Instead it is because Ukraine is a functional democracy which is/would be threatening to Russia which is an authoritarian state. If Ukraine is a functional, prosperous democracy which is looking to the West, people in Russia may start to realize that their lives could become better if they were a functional democracy. This reasoning makes quite much sense to me.

I think Fiona Hill, for one, has been saying this.

• Informative
Likes DennisN
BillTre said:
I think Fiona Hill, for one, has been saying this.
I think I saw an interview with her too, so it may have been she who said it and not the author I was thinking about. I will do a search on youtube for CNN and MSNBC clips...

Likes BillTre
I don't think we need to guess what Putin's motivation is, because he's truthful where it matters. Facts don't matter to him, what's important is what he wants. He's told us, and we should believe him: He wants the USSR/Russian Empire back and Ukraine was part of them. That's it. Everything else is tangential or noise.

Last edited:
Likes valenumr, phinds, Oldman too and 2 others
phinds said:
Although I agree /w you I suggest we not follow that line of discussion since it will inevitably lead to arguments since it is inextricably tied to politics.
Perhaps...and folks can respond or not on that basis.
I am old enough to have known a few folks who worked on the developmwent of the original fission weapon. I remember talking to my undergrad advisor (Prof John Dewire) about his service Los Alamos and the subsequent moral dilemmas. Also Hans Bethe (my personal hero) had some very prescient attitudes about nuclear weapons (largely his creation) and was very much involved in political activities regarding limiting thermonuclear proliferation. They were political folks, and I wonder what they would say with regard to the Ukraine question. If we are unable to debate it in a rational manner then that alone speaks volumes.

Likes xAxis, Oldman too and Jarvis323
hutchphd said:
Are we safer because Ukraine ceded its Nuclear stockpile?

Sadly I think the answer to this may be no.
I agree,and the fact the US turned a blind eye to Crimea in 2014 didn't help. Russia was, by that treaty, a guarantor of Ukraine's territorial integrity.

It would be fair, albeit of questionable wisdom, for the other guarantor to say "the disarmament isn't working out. Here's 100 nuclear-armed Tomahawks. Let us know if you still have troublesome neighbors"

Likes Astronuc, fresh_42, Tom.G and 4 others
hutchphd said:
Here's the question that keeps recurring in my head:

Are we safer because Ukraine ceded its Nuclear stockpile?

Sadly I think the answer to this may be no. I still find that answer shocking. But how crazy is crazy?

As a moral issue it seems pretty clear that the west has already vacated the moral high ground, perhaps permanently.
Vanadium 50 said:
I agree,and the fact the US turned a blind eye to Crimea in 2014 didn't help. Russia was, by that treaty, a guarantor of Ukraine's territorial integrity.
I have to admit that I've not kept up with the recent history of the region. Can you give some links to reading about these issues? It looks like there is much more to the current situation than what is being presented in the current events news articles...

Here's a start...seems pretty balanced:

• Informative
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
It looks like there is much more to the current situation than what is being presented in the current events news articles...
Indeed there is. Interesting geopolitical situation that does NOT make the US look good.

The UK news site The Guardian reports (6 minutes ago):

The Guardian said:
"
Russian forces will carry out 'special military operation' in Ukraine, says Putin

Vladimir Putin has announced that Russia will carry out a “special military operation” in Ukraine, Reuters reports.

In an address to the Russian people under way now and coinciding with the United nations security council meeting, the Russian president also said:
  • clashes between Ukrainian and Russian forces are “inevitable” and “only a question of time”.
  • Further nato expansion and its use of Ukraine’s territory are unacceptable
  • the Russian military operation aims to “protect people”
  • circumstances “demand decisive action from Russia”
"

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...rope-sanctions-russian-invasion-border-troops

Furthermore:

The Guardian said:
Putin says he 'wants to “demilitarise and de-Nazify” Ukraine'

More from Putin’s address:
  • The Russian president says he wants to “demilitarise and de-Nazify” Ukraine Putin has also called on Ukrainian soldiers to put down their weapons and go home, according to Reuters, citing the Russian news agency Tass.
  • The Russian president adds that “in case of foreign interference, Russia will act immediately”.
  • Responsibility for bloodshed will be on the hands of the “Ukrainian regime”
  • Russia’s response “will be instant if anyone tries to take it on”
  • He tells Ukrainians that “your fathers and grandfathers did not fight so you could help ‘neo-Nazis’”

Also, very sad news: MSNBC has now reported that explosions now have been heard in the Ukraine capital Kyiv.

Last edited:
Yeah, crap. Here we go.

Thoughts with the people in the Ukraine, and neighboring countries. Watching it now...

Likes Oldman too and wrobel
DennisN said:
I am worried too. I've been following the situation closely the last couple of days. Actually I've been concerned ever since Russia took Crimea. But now it has escalated.

As a sidenote I personally suspect that the recent development will increase the support for a future NATO membership among the Swedish and Finnish population. I don't know if/when Sweden will join NATO though. We have a very long history of not being in any military alliance.
Hope you can fight back like the Finns did, though without losing your variant of Karelia et al.

Likes DennisN
WITW...? Only a probing attack? Putin's chess game opening I guess, but he is toying with thousands of lives. I'm frustrated with the lack of a stone wall defense by NATO and the US, to be honest...

Likes phinds
Putin is a revolting person and a paper bag job.

Sorry to my nurse who said the following to me:
"Before you say or write anything ask yourself three questions:
1. Is it true?
2. Is it necessary?
3. Is it kind?"

Likes Oldman too
WWGD said:
Hope you can fight back like the Finns did, though without losing your variant of Karelia et al.
Neither I nor the Swedish military (according to Swedish news) sees an immediate Russian threat against Sweden (but things can of course change over the years).

Nevertheless: an aggressive Russia is in my opinion a threat to the security of Europe.
And a threat to the security of Europe is a threat to the world, due to the various interconnections (economical and military (NATO)).

In Sweden the military recently took some defensive actions due to the current situation, and I suspect more of that is to come.

If you ask me, my concerns in the near future apart from Ukraine are the countries Latvia and Lithuania, which both are NATO members, see this map:

Europe-Mod.jpg

There is a Russian enclave called Kaliningrad, and if Russia would try to create a land corridor (my red marking in the map) between Russia and Kaliningrad, Latvia and Lithuania are in the way.

In short: I sincerely hope this conflict does not spread, as it would be very dangerous.

Last edited:
Likes Oldman too and WWGD
DennisN said:
I heard a very interesting input on this in an interview on CNN or MSNBC yesterday which made some sense to me (regretfully I don't have a source for it at the moment, but I think I remembered who said it, so I will try to find a link on the net and post it later*).

According to the person interviewed he/she (I think it was a she) said that the reason for Russias action against Ukraine is not primarily because of any NATO expansion. Instead it is because Ukraine is a functional democracy which is/would be threatening to Russia which is an authoritarian state. If Ukraine is a functional, prosperous democracy which is looking to the West, people in Russia may start to realize that their lives could become better if Russia was a functional democracy. This reasoning makes quite much sense to me.

Nevertheless, Putins recent speech about historical grievances in general (with dubious historical accuracy) was worrying to hear.

* Update: I've made an initial search but could not find anything. If I remember correctly the reasoning came from a female author of history books (Ann
Kind of rich. I don't think anyone group really has the moral high ground overall without gross cherry-picking and "cherry-forgetting"

Likes 256bits
Multiple media outlets are reporting a full-fledged invasion, including direct attacks on Kyiv and other major cities:
https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-23-22/index.html

Cute nugget:
"The Russian Armed Forces are not launching any missile or artillery strikes on the cities of Ukraine. High-precision weapons destroy military infrastructure: military airfields, aviation, air defense facilities of the Armed Forces of Ukraine," the statement read. "The civilian population is not at risk."

• Sad
Likes BillTre, Rive and 256bits
So they are going to take the whole thing, and change the government to pro Russia.
Which would gives Russia a southern route to the sea, which they surely lack, being hemmed in presently to say the least to access to international waters.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europ...e-strikes-confirmed-as-russia-invades-ukraine

How is the confrontation seen in Russia?

Russian state media are portraying Moscow as coming to the rescue of war-torn areas of eastern Ukraine that are tormented by Ukraine’s aggression.

TV presenters are professing the end of suffering for the residents of the breakaway regions.

“You paid with your blood for these eight years of torment and anticipation,” anchor Olga Skabeyeva said during a popular political talk show Tuesday (local time). “Russia will now be defending Donbas.”

Channel One struck a more festive tone, with its correspondent in Donetsk asserting that local residents “say it is the best news over the past years of war.”

“Now they have confidence in the future and that the years-long war will finally come to an end,” she said.

Whether ordinary Russians are buying it is another question.

Hard to say what's the aim, but they definitely try to finish it before the West can catch up. I think it's likely that East-Ukraine will be given up and Ukraine will try to keep the west only, with saving as many of their forces as they can, while waiting for the pressure from the West to take effect.

Retrospective: Russian peacekeeping in Belarus, oh my :rolleyes: All the events from the last few weeks were about this.

berkeman said:
WITW...? Only a probing attack? Putin's chess game opening I guess, but he is toying with thousands of lives. I'm frustrated with the lack of a stone wall defense by NATO and the US, to be honest...
Ukraine is not a NATO member, and the sphere of influence for the US in that region is not that great.
Even the EEU response seemed to lack lustre leading up.
Wagging fingers and a lot of frowning talking heads certainly did not have much of an effect,

Likes Rive and BillTre
DennisN said:
There is a Russian enclave called Kaliningrad, and if Russia would try to create a land corridor (my red marking in the map) between Russia and Kaliningrad, Latvia and Lithuania are in the way.
Latvia and Lithuania are both in NATO, last time I checked.

So after Russia finishes annexing Ukraine, then (presumably) Moldovia which is also not in NATO, it would have to take on a NATO country or (so-called?) neutral Finland to expand further west.

Likes BillTre
strangerep said:

So after Russia finishes annexing Ukraine, then (presumably) Moldovia which is also not in NATO, it would have to take on a NATO country or (so-called?) neutral Finland to expand further west.
And Finns still have WW2 memories fresh, with a high conscription rate; mandatory service , mostly as a reaction to their war with Russia.

StevieTNZ said:
[Russia annexing Ukraine]... Which is against international law.
...which is enforced by... the UN Security Council? Over which both Russia and China have veto power? Such international "law" is a joke.

Likes diogenesNY, Astronuc, russ_watters and 2 others
So far this is the best coverage I have found. Any better live news sources?

• Informative
Likes Tom.G and DennisN
berkeman said:
WITW...? Only a probing attack? Putin's chess game opening I guess, but he is toying with thousands of lives.
You mean hundreds of millions of lives. This is war in Europe.

DennisN said:
Plus: Putin could follow the same narrative, protecting Russian minorities in all three countries.

Likes DennisN
strangerep said:
So? Again: Putin is following exactly Hitler's textbook from 1938. And he grew up in a world where he developed the same mindset (Cold War, KGB).
The Munich Agreement of October 1938 forced the government of the Czech Republic to cede the Sudetenland to Germany.

Although France and Great Britain were once again able to avoid an impending military confrontation with their appeasement policy, they lost a great deal of respect and trust among the countries of Eastern Europe because of the abandonment of their ally Czechoslovakia.

Who will bet that he won't count on exactly the same mechanism: the west won't risk a world war for the Balticum?

There is potential for the war to spread if NATO acts in the most reasonable way.

Ukraine-growth.png

See Wikipedia or any other source: Ukraine received substantial territory in 1939 from Poland. So far, Poland has been unable to reclaim this land, but if Ukraine is about to be overrun by Russian troops, it should make very solid sense for them to cede the land back to Poland to be defended by NATO, in exchange for guarantees that their people (especially the ones allegedly on hit lists, or facing discrimination based on LGBT status) will always have sanctuary there.

Whether the Russians acknowledge that new NATO territory is another question, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

• Informative
  • Skeptical
Likes strangerep, Oldman too, Bandersnatch and 2 others
Bringing up historical data as basis of any kind of border revision is a very sensitive topic and would not be a good precedent. Once it starts you better think about doubling or tripling the land available in Europe, and that still might not be able to cover the sum of the various 'our biggest' maps.

Likes Klystron, fresh_42 and Bandersnatch
Refugees are already pouring into Poland. There is a huge group of Ukrainians (probably around 1.3 million, Poland has around 38 millions population) working here (kinda like Mexicans in USA, although they are mostly legal). So for them not only Poland is a first country outside that is not under a direct Russian influence, but also a country where they already have friends and contacts.

• Informative
Likes fresh_42, DennisN and PeroK
Rive said:
Bringing up historical data as basis of any kind of border revision is a very sensitive topic and would not be a good precedent. Once it starts you better think about doubling or tripling the land available in Europe, and that still might not be able to cover the sum of the various 'our biggest' maps.
Yes! Back to the German borders of 1236! :cool:

Rive said:
Isn't that what Putin just did in his speech?

Likes valenumr, Keith_McClary and PeroK