Navigating the Tensions in Ukraine: A Scientific Perspective

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
In summary, the Munich Agreement was an agreement between the Soviet Union and the United Kingdom that divided Czechoslovakia into the Soviet Union and the United States.
  • #1,366
phinds said:
You actually believe that Putin would listen to his ex-wife? What optimism. Totally unfounded in my opinion.
Somebody needs to tell him he's lost the plot! Who better ?!

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre, geordief and phinds
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,367
neilparker62 said:
Somebody needs to tell him he's lost the plot! Who better ?!
An FSB hit squad?

• Haha
Likes BillTre, morrobay and phinds
  • #1,368
DennisN said:
Edit: Btw, I've just read reports on Twitter of many explosions heard in south Belarus. I'm keeping an eye on what that is about.
I did try to follow up on these reports, but I did not post about it here. There were several different rumors/stories about what this was about, mainly (1) military exercises by Belarus, (2) sonic booms from Russian jets flying there, (3) sabotage actions by (pro-Ukrainian) Belarus resistance and (4) possible preparations for a coup attempt in Belarus (!).

It seems to me it's still not clear what exactly was going on (which is quite understandable). I haven't seen any verified accounts of the events.

I've also heard about some alleged sabotage/interference with the railway (and other transportation) in Belarus. It's unclear to me (1) if it has happened and (2) by whom, so I decided to not link to where I read it.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
  • #1,369
Reuters - Russia may not stop with Ukraine – NATO looks to its weakest link
https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...raine-nato-looks-its-weakest-link-2022-03-21/
ON BOARD THE SUPPLY SHIP ELBE, Latvia (Reuters) - Hours after Russian missiles first struck Ukrainian cities on Feb. 24, German naval commander Terje Schmitt-Eliassen received notice to sail five warships under his command to the former Soviet Republic of Latvia to help protect the most vulnerable part of NATO's eastern flank.

Same story reported on Yahoo. https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-may-not-stop-ukraine-100921388.html

The concern/move is not alarmist, but rather prudent. What will happen with Kaliningrad?

Ukraine should prepare for naval assault and amphibious landing at Odessa.

The US and EU need to support a no-fly zone over Ukraine, if not directly, by providing material support to Ukraine - before it's too late.

• #1,370
Borg said:
An FSB hit squad?
From https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/02/ukraine-crisis-putin-military-opposition.html - a link which I also posted in #1022.

The most eyebrow-raising of these dissents is an open letter by retired Col. Gen. Leonid Ivashov posted on the website of the All-Russian Officers’ Assembly, which he chairs. In it, he rejects Putin’s claim that NATO poses a threat to Russia’s vital interests, warns that invading Ukraine “will forever make Russians and Ukrainians mortal enemies,” and calls on Putin to step down. He concludes, “We, Russia’s officers, demand that the President of the Russian Federation reject the criminal policy of provoking a war in which Russia would find itself alone against the united forces of the West.”

Likes valenumr
  • #1,371
Another one of those Ukrainian "go home, F you" marches

• #1,372
DennisN said:
've also heard about some alleged sabotage/interference with the railway (and other transportation) in Belarus
My grandmother's husband and her two brothers died organizing "sabotage/interference with the railway (and other transportation) in Belarus" it was about 1942. Hope the present lap is the last.
fresh_42 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heim_ins_Reich
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Agreement

The rest started on 9/1/39. We leap exactly 83 years and 5 months.

• #1,373
@wrobel based on your information from within, is it accurate that there are sugar shortages in Russia malls?
PS. sorry for the other non related video twitter just adds them both

• #1,374
artis said:
based on your information from within, is it accurate that there are sugar shortages in Russia malls?
in Moscow -- yes

• #1,375
Here it is cooking oil.

Flour, oil, sugar are always the first products people store. It's not the first time that I got the impression that people's most concern is apparently whether they still can bake their Sunday afternoon cake.

• #1,376
DennisN said:
I've also heard about some alleged sabotage/interference with the railway (and other transportation) in Belarus. It's unclear to me (1) if it has happened and (2) by whom, so I decided to not link to where I read it.
I've actually found a news article about it:

Russian troops cut off in devastating blow to Putin - major railway supply lines sabotaged (Daily Express, 21st March 2022)
https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...y-sabotage-supply-lines-trains-latest-news-vn

(I follow a Swedish blog which gets continually updated about the war in Ukraine, and I also read the comments where various things gets posted by readers of the blog, and I got the article link from there.)

Likes Borg, Astronuc, fresh_42 and 1 other person
  • #1,377
Marina Ovsyannikova, the Russian state TV employee who protested the war in Ukraine during a live news broadcast on TV One, has been labeled a British spy by the Russian government and state media. Of course, she's not.Edit: Meanwhile, Reuters reports "U.S. fighters say they felt calling to join Ukraine's cause"
https://news.yahoo.com/u-fighters-felt-calling-join-211001187.html

AP News - 20 days in Mariupol: The team that documented city’s agony
MARIUPOL, Ukraine (AP) — The Russians were hunting us down. They had a list of names, including ours, and they were closing in.

We were the only international journalists left in the Ukrainian city, and we had been documenting its siege by Russian troops for more than two weeks. We were reporting inside the hospital when gunmen began stalking the corridors. Surgeons gave us white scrubs to wear as camouflage.
https://news.yahoo.com/witnessed-mariupols-agony-fled-russian-100217753.html

• #1,378
They labeled Facebook and Instagram "extremist", Ukrainians "Nazi", and their war a "peace operation".

It is one of the constants in any dictatorship so far, that they accused others by what they essentially have been guilty themselves!

Likes Lnewqban
  • #1,379
fresh_42 said:
It is one of the constants in any dictatorship so far, that they accused others by what they essentially have been guilty themselves!
Putin is definitely channeling Hitler and Goebbels.

• #1,380
Astronuc said:
Indeed.

• #1,381
fresh_42 said:
I've thought a lot about that during this war on several occasions.

It's almost like we are experiencing psychological projection on a grand scale ("subconscious" or deliberate by the aggressor, or somewhere in between, perhaps, I don't know). Very weird.

• #1,382
Somebody posted this on twitter, kinda made me think.
You know I think it's the same as with individuals VS large corporations, if you do something wrong as an individual the police and all kinds of agencies almost immediately stop you, but if you do something wrong as a large corporation you are very hard to stop and when it is done finally in many cases you get that "off ramp" that we are talking about for Putin...
So there is safety in "numbers" as they say , especially if you can hide behind them

FOXSBbvXwAIgez-?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

• #1,383
Soviet TV propaganda had never gone down till the level of contemporary Russian TV.
In USSR they said: American imperialists are bad guys but ordinary american people are good. Contemporary propaganda translates pure hate. I feel ill after 5 minutes watching TV.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes Klystron, DennisN and PeroK
  • #1,384
artis said:
So there is safety in "numbers" as they say , especially if you can hide behind them
Well, I think it should not be forgotten that the guy on the right also has a lot more military capabilities (including a substantial nuclear arsenal) at his disposal, compared to what the guy on the left had.

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,385
DennisN said:
Well, I think it should not be forgotten that the guy on the right also has a lot more military capabilities (including a substantial nuclear arsenal) at his disposal.
Yes Putins army both personal and Russian official sure does give him almost endless immunity, but I think it is true in the general sense even without nuclear weapons, that it is much harder to bring judgement to a leader of a huge organization or country than it is to do to a smaller group or an individual.

If Bin Laden was say the head of North Korea rather than a radical hiding in a house somewhere in Pakistan he too would be harder to eliminate. Kadafi organized terrorist attacks on foreign soil and it took much longer to rid him, Saudi Arabia is known to have done some dirty stuff and they almost fly under the radar because their an ally of US, so it's not exactly that there is always justice elsewhere not just with respect to Russia-Ukraine.

• #1,386
DennisN said:
Well, I think it should not be forgotten that the guy on the right also has a lot more military capabilities (including a substantial nuclear arsenal) at his disposal, compared to what the guy on the left had.
Plus the fact, that the mean distance between Putin and even his faithful dog is meanwhile 10 meters and counting.
1647895132378.jpeg
The other guy lived in a dirt hole at the end of the world, not in a military compound surrounded by 20,000,000 people.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and artis
  • #1,387
Meanwhile it seems someone slipped some numbers, either accidentally or on purpose.
Russian tabloid for a brief moment had this, this figure of nearly 10k dead sounds like a realistic number given the huge bloodshed that has happened so far on both sides

• #1,388
artis said:
Yes Putins army both personal and Russian official sure does give him almost endless immunity, but I think it is true in the general sense even without nuclear weapons, that it is much harder to bring judgement to a leader of a huge organization or country than it is to do to a smaller group or an individual.

If Bin Laden was say the head of North Korea instead of a radical hiding in a house somewhere in Pakistan he too would be harder to eliminate.
I agree. Also, I would say that the risk of various political consequences (etc) for eliminating leaders of countries goes up significantly compared to eliminating terrorist leaders/terrorist groups.

For instance the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914 (though not a leader, but an heir
to the Austro-Hungarian throne) sparked various tragic events that led to World War I.

Last edited:
  • #1,389
artis said:
someone slipped some numbers
Another one, on 'who knows' level:

However, the numbers seems to fit without the paramilitary/mercenary unit losses: around 10000 soldiers, and some more.
It would mean that Ukraine did the count exceptionally well.
Also, together with some 'assumed number of wounded' out of the picture it could imply that the original ~ 190k troops are actually can be on the verge of collapse.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
  • #1,390
DennisN said:
... the risk of various political consequences (etc) for eliminating leaders ...
Sounds easier than it actually is. Hitler survived two serious assassination attempts by pure luck. And Putin with his paranoia is far more cautious.

Likes DennisN
  • #1,391
caz said:
Ukraine’s ”sin” was seeking stronger relations with the West. Even if it had followed your suggestions, Putin would have found another excuse.

Maybe these are factors which contributed.

What happened in Ukraine that led directly to this war is the following in my current understanding:

(1) A Russia backed politician won the Ukraine presidency through what Ukraine's supreme court ruled to be a fraudulent election.

(2) His competitor was installed as the president after Russia's guy was ousted. He was poisoned, but he survived.

(3) Russia labeled the ousting as a coup, and used propaganda to help them respond by fueling and funding an insurrection, which took hold the eastern more Russian speaking territories.

(4) In the rest of Ukraine, anti-Russian sentiment was reinforced in response through media and policies.

(5) Zelensky was elected in what many Ukrainians consider to be their first ever truly democratically elected president. His platform was neither anti-Russian, nor pro-Russian, just anti-corruption.

(6) Russia's interest in Ukraine is largely to have control industries in Ukraine.

Putin became fed up with trying so many other tactics to gain control. So he just decided to invade.

Likes Astronuc
  • #1,392
Astronuc said:
And Orwell.

• #1,393
Jarvis323 said:
(6) Russia's interest in Ukraine is largely to have control industries in Ukraine.
I think that's wrong. That might be a distant third reason but the two main reasons are (1) to have a buffer between Russia proper and NATO and (2) to capture all of the gas and oil reserves that belong to Ukraine (they are massive).

• #1,394
phinds said:
And Orwell.
Not really. There have been many despots better than Putin. Animal Farm described communism, and 1984 a surveillance society. Both have been practiced by actual communistic regimes better than Putin is able to control private communications nowadays. E.g. WhatsApp is still online.

• #1,395
phinds said:
I think that's wrong. That might be a distant third reason but the two main reasons are (1) to have a buffer between Russia proper and NATO and (2) to capture all of the gas and oil reserves that belong to Ukraine (they are massive).
Well, the oil/gas industry is one of many, but clearly, capture of ALL Ukrainian industry and resources, is a huge incentive, and control of trade and transportation, and huge agricultural. A second, and perhaps equally important goal is to prevent Ukraine from becoming part of EU/NATO, after which the goal of controlling Ukraine is no go. A third goal is to prevent Ukraine from being a successful and thriving democracy and open society, something that is anathema to Putin and his corrupt cohorts. Imagine how many young Russians would leave Russia for Ukraine, if Ukraine was a free and open society.

And Putin is simply a paranoid, delusional narcissistic psychopath, with plenty of enablers.

Likes pinball1970 and PeroK
  • #1,396
fresh_42 said:
Not really. There have been many despots better than Putin.
I was referring to his calling things the opposite of what they are and accusing his enemies of doing what he does.

• #1,397
phinds said:
I was referring to his calling things the opposite of what they are and accusing his enemies of doing what he does.
Sounds familiar?

Likes Oldman too
  • #1,398
phinds said:

fresh_42 said:
Sounds familiar?
A politician?

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
  • #1,399
Bystander said:
A politician?
I know several examples. One was Hitler but I hesitate to call him a politician. Or Ulbricht: "Nobody has the intention to build a wall!" Putin is just an extreme example.

• #1,400
fresh_42 said:
Or Ulbricht [GDR]: "Nobody has the intention to build a wall!" [A week before he actually built the wall in Berlin.]

Just heard on tv:

French authorities have seized the yacht (€ 530,000,000) of the owner of Rosneft as it was preparing to leave the harbor.

A German yacht spotter observed that Putin's yacht had left its German dockyard although work wasn't finished two weeks prior to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Honni soit qui mal y pense.