Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,226
Psinter said:
Was depilating my eyebrows this morning and totally managed to screw it up. I used a Sharpie to fix it and my friends are laughing (I'm laughing too).

I was depilating it because I have a job interview tonight. But it doesn't matter because Sharpie Brow makes me look fabulous. *confident*

If the interviewer asks: "Is that a Sharpie?"

I'll reply: "Maybe I was born with it. Maybe it's Maybelline." :-p
Try the mustache thing and say its Maybelline.

Likes Psinter and nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,227
WWGD said:
Try the mustache thing and say its Maybelline.
That would be epic. :biggrin:

It's a good thing we live in a civilization with cosmetics. Got some kind pencil at the girls cosmetics area to cover the disaster. The package reads: "Eyeliner". It works quite well if I do say so myself. I recommend it for accidents like this.

I've been wondering, what if ancient civilizations had known cosmetics? You think they would they have used them? Imagine the Ancient Greeks with cosmetics... :

"Ohoho, looking good, Plato! High five!"
-Psinter

• #1,228
Psinter said:
That would be epic. :biggrin:

It's a good thing we live in a civilization with cosmetics. Got some kind pencil at the girls cosmetics area to cover the disaster. The package reads: "Eyeliner". It works quite well if I do say so myself. I recommend it for accidents like this.

I've been wondering, what if ancient civilizations had known cosmetics? You think they would they have used them? Imagine the Ancient Greeks with cosmetics... :

"Ohoho, looking good, Plato! High five!"
-Psinter
I'm pretty sure they did. Cosmetics, from what I am lead to believe, have been around since the dawn of civilization (maybe before even).
http://cosmeticsinfo.org/Ancient-history-cosmetics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmetics_in_Ancient_Rome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty_and_cosmetics_in_ancient_Egypt

• #1,229
:sleep::sleep::sleep:

• #1,231
Still working on de-looping my life, making it a point to break my routine whenever possible.
I found a Chinese place with an amazingly cheap, pretty tasty, lunch special (and I felt OK
after eating it so they're not cutting down prices by using nasty substitutions). It is kind of fun
to feel disoriented from the change of routine.

• #1,232
WWGD said:
Still working on de-looping my life, making it a point to break my routine whenever possible.
I found a Chinese place with an amazingly cheap, pretty tasty, lunch special (and I felt OK
after eating it so they're not cutting down prices by using nasty substitutions). It is kind of fun
to feel disoriented from the change of routine.
Oriental food dis-oriented you?

Likes nuuskur
  • #1,234
zoobyshoe said:
Oriental food dis-oriented you?
No, I mean, while in delooping mode, or as a result of breaking my routine, I found this particular place I would most likely
not have found had I kept to my routine.

• #1,235
WWGD said:
How do you do it, i.e., what is the general method?
There's no thumb rule - that's what makes it fun ;)
First you have to find an expression of this sort: ##(A+Bx)^{\frac 1{3}}##. Then, you have to find suitable values for ##A## and ##B## such that a value for x can be substituted for which ##|Bx|<1## so that the expansion of the expression equals or involves the cube root of the prime number you're trying to find. Its pretty easy to use this method for finding the ##n^{th}## root of composite numbers if ##n## is even, but it takes some ingenuity for evaluating cube roots (odd roots actually) of prime numbers. You've used this method before, right?

• #1,236
Ibix said:
Up all night PFing, @Lisa! ?
Nope, I was just too tired to read any post!:oldbiggrin:

• #1,237
PWiz said:
There's no thumb rule - that's what makes it fun ;)
First you have to find an expression of this sort: ##(A+Bx)^{\frac 1{3}}##. Then, you have to find suitable values for ##A## and ##B## such that a value for x can be substituted for which ##|Bx|<1## so that the expansion of the expression equals or involves the cube root of the prime number you're trying to find. Its pretty easy to use this method for finding the ##n^{th}## root of composite numbers if ##n## is even, but it takes some ingenuity for evaluating cube roots (odd roots actually) of prime numbers. You've used this method before, right?

No, I have never used it, at least not knowingly. What is x ?

• #1,238
Lisa! said:
Nope, I was just too tired to read any post!:oldbiggrin:
I've just been listening to a talk (actually quite an interesting one), delivered in the world's warmest room, just after lunch. I kept having to shift around to stay awake. The guy next to me actually did doze off.

• #1,239
Ibix said:
I've just been listening to a talk (actually quite an interesting one), delivered in the world's warmest room, just after lunch. I kept having to shift around to stay awake. The guy next to me actually did doze off.

But the best is when someone dozes off and starts snoring in full. Everyone ( in the audience) chuckles, but no one
wants to do nor say anything.

• #1,240
How awkward it actually is when I wanted to say something but right then totally forgot what it was!

• #1,241
WWGD said:
But the best is when someone dozes off and starts snoring in full. Everyone ( in the audience) chuckles, but no one
wants to do nor say anything.
My English professor, freshman year, would insist on reading to us from our textbook and he had a very soft MONOTONE voice, completely monotone, no inflections, so boring. One day he closed the book and said "since most of you are asleep anyway, class dismissed", we had to wake people up to let them know that they could leave. Unfortunately that was the only time he gave us a break from his monotone readings.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
  • #1,242
Evo said:
we had to wake people up to let them no that they could leave.
I had a class where a student wasn't wakened from the previous class. When he finely did, it took him quite a while to realize it wasn't the class he fell asleep in. He looked a little like this: :olduhh:.

Likes collinsmark, Lisa! and Evo
  • #1,243
dlgoff said:
I had a class where a student wasn't wakened from the previous class. When he finely did, it took him quite a while to realize it wasn't the class he fell asleep in. He looked a little like this: :olduhh:.
Lol, that's funny.

Likes dlgoff
  • #1,244
WWGD said:
No, I have never used it, at least not knowingly. What is x ?
You substitute a value for it to evaluate your expression. For example, let's try to find an approximation to ##17^{\frac 1{4}}##.
If I set A=B=1, then I get the expression ##(1+x)^{\frac 1{4}}=1+\frac{x}{4} - \frac{3x^2}{32} ...## . Now if I substitute x=##\frac {1}{16}##, I can say that ##(\frac{17}{16})^\frac{1}{4} = 1+\frac 1 {64} -\frac{3}{8192} ...##, and ##17^{\frac{1}{4}}= 2 + \frac 1 {32} -\frac{3}{4096}...≈ 2.0305## . Of course, these kind of expansions are only valid if ##Bx## is less than 1, and ##\frac {1}{16}## is reasonably small to get a suitable approximation just using the first 3 terms, as the higher powers of x in the terms ahead makes their value so small that for all intents and purposes, they can be neglected. The larger the value of ##Bx##, the more work you have to put in figuring out the terms that follow in order to find a good approximation.

• #1,245
I just can't stop laughing..........
someone was trying to quote "science" from a site that claimed :- "jet contrails are evil aerosols being sprayed on people for a nefarious eugenics pogrom -- (not "program", that's not a misspelling) -- perpetrated by shadowy global conspirators"

• #1,246
certainly said:
someone was trying to quote "science" from a site that claimed :- "jet contrails are evil aerosols being sprayed on people for a nefarious eugenics pogrom -- (not "program", that's not a misspelling) -- perpetrated by shadowy global conspirators"
Tell him that contrail is an anagram for cilantro and see what he does with that. :oldtongue:

• #1,247
Neither of you apparently remembers those horrible cilantro pogroms. No wonder there is no cilantros left in eastern Europe.

• #1,248
Borg said:
Tell him that contrail is an anagram for cilantro and see what he does with that. :oldtongue:

WWGD said:
Neither of you apparently remembers those horrible cilantro pogroms. No wonder there is no cilantros left in eastern Europe.
It was actually from here.scroll down and see third reply to second comment. Sorry for taking so long to reply...but I still can't stop laughing...
[EDIT:- I think it's the 4th reply now that I've told him what you 2 recommended. ]

Last edited:
  • #1,249
certainly said:
It was actually from here.scroll down and see third reply to second comment. Sorry for taking so long to reply...but I still can't stop laughing...
[EDIT:- I think it's the 4th reply now that I've told him what you 2 recommended. ]

Well, when you see many references to phrases like "the global power elite", "imminent collapse" you know what you are likely to get in the page. Pretty sure you can find a few more ridiculous claims.

• #1,250
They do form a nice form of entertainment though...

• #1,252
Probably is... wouldn't have 16 million views otherwise...

• #1,253
certainly said:
pogrom

Actually it is a Polish word: http://ling.pl/pogrom

In some twisted way it connects with the idea that contrails are there to kill us all :wink:

• #1,254
Borek said:
Actually it is a Polish word: http://ling.pl/pogrom

In some twisted way it connects with the idea that contrails are there to kill us all :wink:

hmmmm... Backwards, it's "morgop", and in cyrillic, the "p" is an "r", so, in another twisted way, it becomes "morgor".

Morgor --> Mordor?

The land ruled by Sauron, the necromancer.

Necromancy: ... a compound of Ancient Greek nekrós, "dead body", and manteía, "prophecy"

Prophecy of death.

hmmmm... I wonder if Tolkien knew the Cyrillic alphabet.

Likes Enigman
  • #1,255
Hit a new level of laziness today, considered to pull an all-nighter just so I didn't have to make my bed.

Finally did it though, apparently I'm close to exhaustion.

• #1,256
certainly said:
and they got contrails wrong, conspiracy theorists call them "chemtrails" because they contain deadly chemicals.

• #1,257
Kind of strange how I have come to associate some shows with some hours of the day: Seinfeld is an evening show and it would
feel strange to watch it at, say, 8 a.m Same for Raymond.

They made Weird Al editor of this months Mad Magazine. He has (obviously) some good material in the issue.

• #1,258
Evo said:
and they got contrails wrong, conspiracy theorists call them "chemtrails" because they contain deadly chemicals.
But that's even better...chemtrails is an anagram for r alchemist. @OmCheeto there's your "r". I suppose this connection should be the final proof of the existence of the Illuminati ......but of course we should be worrying about the dark alchemist in mordor now......

• #1,259
Last night on River Monsters, Jeremy Wade finally found a new dangerous fish. For a long time he has been recycling the same dozen or so dangerous fishes, so this was refreshing. However, it wasn't a proper "River Monster," but a sea fish that will come a certain small way upriver if the water's salty enough. It's a borderline case.

The monster in question is the halibut. They are dangerous because they can grow really large and are incredibly strong. He tells the story of a fisherman who pulled a 200 lb halibut on board. The fish struggled and flopped around wildly, and whacked him in the leg, snapping his leg bone, which in turn cut his femoral artery. He was out alone, and bled to death before he could get back to shore.

For this reason, halibut fishermen generally try to kill the fish before bringing it onto the boat. Back in the day, Native fishermen developed special hooks that prevented any halibut over a certain size from getting it into it's mouth, thereby obviating the need to fight with a dangerously large one.

• #1,260
I've heard that some people like to fish just for the halibut. :oldtongue:

Last edited:
Likes Evo