Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,156
Evo said:
Ming IS a very photogenic dog, we do kind of look alike...

You may be a bit woof around the edges but you are in no way dog like:smile:

Likes Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,157
collinsmark said:
Such a cute puppy! :smile:
But then again, hmm. Again I wonder.
3072-exorcism.jpg
Haha, too much banditry. Looks like she cannot post anything without getting staged. :rolleyes:

• #1,158
Ohohohoho . I'm getting these no matter what. I hope it grows at my place:

eec2funny-flower-transparent-white-water.jpg

http://emorfes.com/2014/11/21/diphylleia-grayi-skeleton-flower/
I'm looking for some video, but there is non showing the transformation live. I'm guessing it is not instantaneous.

Likes Silicon Waffle, Lisa!, PWiz and 1 other person
  • #1,159
They do it on purpose I'm sure. Every time I am at home and need to study , the two-three show I like are
suddenly on. When I want to chill, there is nothing good on. It's part of a plan.

Likes PWiz
  • #1,160
Silicon Waffle said:
I save the image. It's soo cute of them.:nb) Thanks Lisa!
You're welcome!:)

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,161
collinsmark said:
...But then again, hmm. Again I wonder.
3072-exorcism.jpg
Who is this ?

• #1,162
Silicon Waffle said:
Who is this ?
Anneliese Michel, the girl on whom the movie "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" is loosely based upon.

• #1,163
Silicon Waffle said:
Who is this ?
It was an image that came up when I googled images of demonic possession.

Evo's puppies, as nice, cute and adorable as they are (and I do believe they are), when photographed, produce images that are surprisingly similar to images in movies and popular culture that involve demonic possession.

(For what it's worth, I don't believe in demonic possession, but it does make a good movie plot.)

-----------------------
Edit: some history here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/random-thoughts-part-three.745013/page-49#post-4811288

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/random-thoughts-part-three.745013/page-59#post-4829179

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/random-thoughts-part-three.745013/page-59#post-4829597

Last edited:
Likes Evo
  • #1,164
collinsmark said:
Just some image that came up when I googled images of demonic possession.

Evo's puppies, as nice and cute as they are (and I do believe they are), when photographed, produce images that are surprisingly similar to images in movies and popular culture that involve demonic possession.

(For what it's worth, I don't believe in demonic possession, but it does make a good movie plot.)
The case was tragic, regardless of whether there was any actual "demonic possession" or not, bringing about the emaciated and dehydrated girl to an untimely demise. One can also find some disturbing audio files on YouTube, and the case has frequently been attributed to medical misdiagnosis and negligence.

• #1,165
On a different note

latest?cb=20100325202746.jpg

[Charles Schulz, Peanuts, 14 Oct. 1950]

Likes Astronuc, Enigman and OmCheeto
  • #1,168
zoobyshoe said:
Someone will have to explain to me how that didn't change the way the plane handled.
Isn't it because the hull of the airplane forms a Faraday cage?

• #1,169
An article with a brand new picture of Pluto and Charon was recently posted here.
I am very excited about this, I wonder what it will look like when New Horizons arrives...

16535030644_62ebea34a5_o.jpg

Likes OmCheeto and lisab
  • #1,170
PWiz said:
Isn't it because the hull of the airplane forms a Faraday cage?
I'm talking about the hole in the nose of the plane.

• #1,171
zoobyshoe said:
I'm talking about the hole in the nose of the plane.
Birds fly with two holes in their noses. Maybe we need to redesign planes.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,172
OmCheeto said:
Birds fly with two holes in their noses. Maybe we need to redesign planes.
Or maybe we need to redesign birds.

Likes WWGD and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,173
I wonder how some students feel when they pay 10,000$+ per semester and have to rely on the internet for studying; mainly using Chegg, Stackexchange, online notes..etc. Do they actually realize that? And is it a frequent case in colleges worldwide?

• #1,174
Don't have to pay a single dime and the teaching is top notch.

• #1,175
Akaisora said:
I wonder how some students feel when they pay 10,000$+ per semester and have to rely on the internet for studying; mainly using Chegg, Stackexchange, online notes..etc. Do they actually realize that? And is it a frequent case in colleges worldwide?
It has been normalized, I don't feel anything anymore.
nuuskur said:
Don't have to pay a single dime and the teaching is top notch.
Your parents pay it for you? You are so lucky. Me not so lucky.

• #1,176
Psinter said:
It has been normalized, I don't feel anything anymore.

He probably meant scholarships or financial aid.

• #1,177
Oh. Well that's different. That's no luck, but that you worked for it.

• #1,178
Anyone heard of Dave K recently? Maybe he is busy in his Math PHD?

• #1,179
Akaisora said:
I went to college in the '70's and am not familiar with what you're talking about. Gimme a little internet reliant studying 101.

• #1,180
Psinter said:
This is a small country, the state pays my tuition if I stay at the top of my game.

• #1,181
nuuskur said:
This is a small country, the state pays my tuition if I stay at the top of my game.
Oh I see. Very good. :smile:

• #1,182
nuuskur said:
I thought you were Russian.

• #1,183
WWGD said:
I thought you were Russian.
"Nuuskur" = "Sleuth" in Estonian, according to google translate.

• #1,184
OmCheeto said:
"Nuuskur" = "Sleuth" in Estonian, according to google translate.

Good job in "Nuuskuring" the answer .

• #1,185
WWGD said:
Good job in "Nuuskuring" the answer .
I wonder if it's related to "Hūsker Dū?"?

pre wiki; In Danish -- as in Norwegian -- "Husker du?" (written without the macrons above the u's) means "Do you remember?".

I would imagine "du" means "you".

Husker: retained knowledge
Nuuskur: one who seeks knowledge

I'm guessing, definite maybe. :biggrin:

• #1,186
A lot of Estonians have a second mother tongue as Russian.

• #1,187
nuuskur said:
A lot of Estonians have a second mother tongue as Russian.
To my knowledge, I've never made the acquaintance of an Estonian.
I met a Lithuanian once.
He taught me how to say; "Osh neжиma nиko". :devil:

• #1,188
There was too much play in my steering so I figured out how to adjust it yesterday. However, I made it too tight, and it was hard to steer at all. Today I readjusted it twice, and now it's in a good place.

When there's too much play, the wheels reorient themselves independently of the steering wheel every time you hit any irregularity in the road, and you end up swimming all over the place. When it's too tight, it takes too much effort to correct for minor alterations of road direction. When it's just right, you stay on course with just a light touch of the hand on the steering wheel.

Anyone so inclined can have that story to turn into some sort of philosophical parable.

• #1,189
An unwatched pot always boils over.

• #1,190
Did you see me typing and then sending this message ? No ? then this is likely not from me.
I have been notoriously known for always making up this kind of cheat-sheet.. :-p Referencing people's works as mine is an art I've practiced for decades.
Who pays then be the boss, who doesn't should get their arses off the field. :wink: