Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,296
OmCheeto said:
Holy Jehosephats!

The dyslexic dark pun forces of the universe have invaded...

hmmm...

Stahp ej!
"Qualia shapes your own space time events"

"Matter is at the heart of the barrier of abstract beauty"

:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,297
I have to give the Physics and Math level 2 SAT Subject tests on Saturday and I haven't even done one practice paper yet LOL

• #1,298
Sean Carroll posted this clip on his blog yesterday.
"Samatha shows how to build a cloud chamber"
(a future scientist, maybe? And I assume she was instructed/supervised when handling the dry ice)

Likes Borg and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,299
Evo said:
Thank you, I feel better now. Plus it's fun to watch the paper get shredded.

There is some visceral satisfaction felt while shredding paper.

Or, as a Brit might say,

There is some visceral satisfaction felt whilst shredding paper.

Likes Evo
  • #1,300
I met a man named John Watson today. So I said, "Do you get a lot of jokes about that?" He didn't know what I was talking about. So,I said, "Sherlock Holmes' sidekick?" He goes, "Oh, that, yeah. 'Elementary my dear Watson.' Yeah, people say that sometimes. Mostly, though, people tell me I look like the guy on 'House'." So, I took a good look at him and saw some very slight resemblance to Hugh Laurie, but it was like second cousin type resemblance. It would have made more sense if he looked like Wilson.

• #1,302
The moment you find a paper you need and its in French :(
Unfortunately it would take too long to use as is (not exactly fluent in French)

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,303
124 years ago Sherlock Holmes defeated the Napoleon of Crime at Reichenbach Falls.
306_sherlock_holmes.jpg

(^ plaque at Reichenbach Falls)
Oh and - May the Fourth be with you.

Likes Silicon Waffle and PWiz
  • #1,304
How old do I look? :devil:
http://how-old.net/

PS: hmmm... at least it guessed my age a lot better than most of people who meet me in real life:oldbiggrin:

Last edited:
  • #1,305
Have you noticed this thing on TV where a commercial starts and then it's suddenly interrupted by another commercial? It happens so often I think it's deliberate.

• #1,306
is it wrong that I don't watch TV?

• #1,307
Oops - Woman seeking man she kissed at marathon hears from his wife
http://news.yahoo.com/woman-seeking-man-she-kissed-marathon-hears-wife-183919997.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Borg
  • #1,308
My computer didn't fare well with its tumble onto the floor. Well, it was about time for an upgrade, I suppose. Parts are on the way. In the mean time, all I can say is poor Clubber Lang. Poor, poor Clubber Lang.

• #1,309
I am kind of disappointed with Will Ferrell's movies. He was amazing in SNL in the mid 90's, but
his movies just don't do it for me." Get Hard" was the last one I watched. Around 6 out of 10.

• #1,310
WWGD said:
I am kind of disappointed with Will Ferrell's movies. He was amazing in SNL in the mid 90's, but
his movies just don't do it for me." Get Hard" was the last one I watched. Around 6 out of 10.
"Land of the Lost" was hilarious. I had never heard of it and happened to catch it by accident on TV one night. The previews to "Get Hard," however, looked bad, and left me with no desire to see it.

• #1,311
collinsmark said:
My computer didn't fare well with its tumble onto the floor. Well, it was about time for an upgrade, I suppose. Parts are on the way. In the mean time, all I can say is poor Clubber Lang. Poor, poor Clubber Lang.
This post precipitated in me some small level of cognitive dissonance. If your computer is broken, how are you getting onto the internet?

• #1,312
nuuskur said:
is it wrong that I don't watch TV?
Cable TV providers, among others, would consider you evil, yes.

• #1,313
zoobyshoe said:
This post precipitated in me some small level of cognitive dissonance. If your computer is broken, how are you getting onto the internet?
I know, it's a conundrum! :eek:

No really, I fortunately still have an old laptop laying around. It's as slow as molasses in January, but it did allow me to order some replacement parts for Clubber, and submit a couple of posts here.

• #1,314
Dave Goldberg Died Due to Severe Head Trauma, Significant Blood Loss following an accident on a treadmill.
http://abcnews.go.com/International...ere-head-trauma-significant/story?id=30820381
The death of Dave Goldberg, CEO of SurveyMonkey and husband of Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, was caused by severe head trauma and blood loss after he slipped and fell off a treadmill, Mexican authorities said today.
. . . .
The treadmill accident happened at the hotel's gym, where Goldberg injured his head on the right side and suffered a 3-centimeter wound, officials said.

Apparently some 14,000 people go to the ER in the US from injuries due to accidents involving treadmills.

Although there aren't many studies of treadmill injuries, a study published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) estimated that more than 70,000 injuries related to exercise equipment occurred between 2007 and 2011, and 66 percent of them happened on treadmills.

So be careful when exercising with machines.

• #1,315
Likes PWiz
  • #1,317
collinsmark said:
I know, it's a conundrum! :eek:

No really, I fortunately still have an old laptop laying around. It's as slow as molasses in January, but it did allow me to order some replacement parts for Clubber, and submit a couple of posts here.
Mystery solved. Now we can close this thread.

• #1,318
Enigman said:
Doyle, Harper Lee, Dr. Seuss ...and now Mark Twain.
Mark Twain stories, 150 years old, uncovered by Berkeley scholars
These might actually all have been published back then, and this is just a rediscovery of the manuscript versions. I once got a book out of the library that consisted of his San Francisco newspaper articles. Despite the claim in the link he was shying away from humor, these articles were all funny. I recall in particular a "filler" paragraph that went something like this:

'In the yard of a house on the corner of B and Elm streets there is an adorable little puppy tied. Unfortunately, this puppy isn't expected to live much longer if it's owner doesn't figure out how to keep it's mouth shut at night.'

Little snippets like that weren't signed or attributed to any author when they appeared in the paper, and the editors of this book combed through copies of the paper from the time he was employed there, collecting anything that seemed like Twain's work.

• #1,319
Evo said:
Exercise will kill you. I avoid it.
True. Sedentary people fuse to chairs and sofas and eventually petrify, thereby lasting for millennia.

• #1,320
The hardest part of getting stuff done after a two hour night is picking the right background music.
Thinking some Nirvana right now can keep me awake.

• #1,321
JorisL said:
The hardest part of getting stuff done after a two hour night is picking the right background music.
Thinking some Nirvana right now can keep me awake.
IMO, night is not the best time to listen to Nirvana. You don't want any, erm, Kurt Cobain motivation, if you know what I mean.

• #1,322
zoobyshoe said:
"Land of the Lost" was hilarious. I had never heard of it and happened to catch it by accident on TV one night. The previews to "Get Hard," however, looked bad, and left me with no desire to see it.
Thanks, I will look it up.

• #1,323
PWiz said:
IMO, night is not the best time to listen to Nirvana. You don't want any, erm, Kurt Cobain motivation, if you know what I mean.

It's daytime :-)
Just had a deadline this morning so I continued working until 5 am and got up at 7 am, you can guess how tired I am now.

• #1,324
Well well, I just got my ACT results. I got a composite score of 33: 34 Math, 36 Science, 31 Reading and 31 English. Not very happy :(
In fact, I feel terrible. I could've done so much more.

• #1,325
PWiz said:
Well well, I just got my ACT results. I got a composite score of 33: 34 Math, 36 Science, 31 Reading and 31 English. Not very happy :(
In fact, I feel terrible. I could've done so much more.
That's not bad at all! As a matter of fact, that's an exceptionally good score. I think that places your science score in the 99th percentile, and still in the 99th percentile overall. It's better than what I got*.

*(Actually, I don't remember what I got; it was so long ago. But I am quite certain it was significantly less than that.)

• #1,326
JorisL said:
It's daytime :-)
Just had a deadline this morning so I continued working until 5 am and got up at 7 am, you can guess how tired I am now.
And this is why I always keep an emergency Red Bull stashed in the fridge.

• #1,327
Enigman said:
And this is why I always keep an emergency Red Bull stashed in the fridge.

Does that stuff actually work? Seems like a caffeine overdose with a few other ingredients.

Likes Borg
  • #1,328
A pot of coffee has the advantage of tasting nice

Also, I just made my first version of Ramen. Very mushroomy taste I might need to use more concentrated stock.

• #1,329
WWGD said:
Does that stuff actually work? Seems like a caffeine overdose with a few other ingredients.
When it is 4 am and there is still a pile of work to be done, an instant caffeine overdose is exactly what I need. I have been known to fall asleep making coffee/ brewing tea at night ( which generally goes - I will open my eyes when the kettle is done boiling...zzzz). Red Bull is for emergencies only.

As for the question- does it really work?
The caffeine sure does. But it won't give you wings.

• #1,330
Enigman said:
As for the question- does it really work?
The caffeine sure does. But it won't give you wings.
I guess that they should have claimed that it would turn people into litigious morons. :rolleyes: