Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,821
Heard this one today:
"Two cannibals are eating a clown. One says to the other: "Does this taste funny to you?""
:smile:

Likes zoobyshoe and Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,822
Justice Department investigating potential airline collusion
http://news.yahoo.com/justice-department-investigating-potential-airline-175401122.html

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,823
Interesting combination of the two above posts.

I slept so deeply that it felt, when I woke up, almost as if I was gone and would not wake up. Weird.

• #1,824
The laundry machines I have available all use coins (Quarters, i.e., $0.25 coins , for non U.S), so I have adapted to the need; when I buy something non-major , I pay in cash if the expected change I will receive is at least two Quarters, i.e. if the cost is $x plus .50 or less than .50. A few times this shapes my choice of what to buy.

• #1,825
I dream-pt last night that i was wiring a huge control panel, then all of a sudden the cables came alive and wrapped them self's around me, what do you think that means?

• #1,826
wolram said:
I dream-pt last night that i was wiring a huge control panel, then all of a sudden the cables came alive and wrapped them self's around me, what do you think that means?
It means you need hugs. :biggrin:

• #1,827
Kind of nasty: I was standing in line, waiting for my order at the hot dog place , when they gave the wrong order to the guy right before me. The store guy seemed like he did not know what to do with the wrong order and I told him " if you're going to throw it out, I''ll take it ". He went on to give the order to another lady working there, who herself went on to throw it in the trash. I can't be 100% either of the workers were paying attention, but it I am pretty sure that they were.

• #1,828
WWGD said:
Kind of nasty: I was standing in line, waiting for my order at the hot dog place , when they gave the wrong order to the guy right before me. The store guy seemed like he did not know what to do with the wrong order and I told him " if you're going to throw it out, I''ll take it ". He went on to give the order to another lady working there, who herself went on to throw it in the trash. I can't be 100% either of the workers were paying attention, but it I am pretty sure that they were.
How wasteful. That hotdog could easily have been some homeless person's dinner.
"Sometimes it takes sadness to know happiness, noise to appreciate silence, and absence to value presence."

Last edited:
  • #1,829
wolram said:
It's hard to say, but it might be a dream about feeling overwhelmed by a task. On the other hand, it might be a dream about fear of snakes, or, possibly, fear of spaghetti.

• #1,830
wolram said:
I have seen enough of the internet to know where this is going...
:oldeyes:

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,831
WWGD said:
If it was a chain store then the employees are probably not allowed to do anything but discard the incorrect order. I worked at a McDonald's for about 4 months a few decades ago, and they did not permit you to give anything away free for any reason. They have the idea that employees will work out scams where their friends will come in posing as customers and get free stuff in various ways. That is probably actually true considering most fast food employees are in high school. In any event, corporate headquarters has worked out an evasive procedure for any situation where an employee might get something for free.

Contrast that with independent restaurants and the difference is amazing. This one coffee shop/sandwich place I go has twice given me a sandwich that somehow wasn't what the original customer wanted, and another indie coffee place gave me a fancy drink once. I think it was a practice drink by a new employee, but they didn't just throw it away.

• #1,832
WWGD said:
The laundry machines I have available all use coins (Quarters, i.e., $0.25 coins , for non U.S), so I have adapted to the need; when I buy something non-major , I pay in cash if the expected change I will receive is at least two Quarters, i.e. if the cost is $x plus .50 or less than .50. A few times this shapes my choice of what to buy.
I assume this means the machines are located in your apartment building and, at the same time they provide laundry machines, they neglect to provide change making machines.

• #1,833
zoobyshoe said:
If it was a chain store then the employees are probably not allowed to do anything but discard the incorrect order. I worked at a McDonald's for about 4 months a few decades ago, and they did not permit you to give anything away free for any reason. They have the idea that employees will work out scams where their friends will come in posing as customers and get free stuff in various ways. That is probably actually true considering most fast food employees are in high school. In any event, corporate headquarters has worked out an evasive procedure for any situation where an employee might get something for free.

Contrast that with independent restaurants and the difference is amazing. This one coffee shop/sandwich place I go has twice given me a sandwich that somehow wasn't what the original customer wanted, and another indie coffee place gave me a fancy drink once. I think it was a practice drink by a new employee, but they didn't just throw it away.
Which is a win-win practice in the long run. Customer gets a free drink/snack and is more likely to become a long term customer. Not a forward-looking practice. And these employees were at least in their 30's. Still, there is something a customer can do by not frequenting places that engage in this practice, which is what I will do.
Though Starbucks may be an exception: it does offer its drinks to customers in general when no one claims them.

Last edited:
  • #1,834
zoobyshoe said:
I assume this means the machines are located in your apartment building and, at the same time they provide laundry machines, they neglect to provide change making machines.
Correct. I guess given there are around 500 people living in the building, it makes sense for them (managing company) to do so; I assume the building's managing company gets a piece of the action. But using monetized cards has a flip side too, in that you cannot add the right amount; you are only allowed to deposit discrete amounts, like multiples of $5 or $10 into the card. Then you end up with an unusable amount, like $2.47 , that you cannot turn into a usable one. I hear that is why these prepaid cards are good business for the companies issuing them: so many are thrown out , having unusable amounts left in them. So the cards are bought for , e..g, $20 , and only some $18 (or less) of the total is used up.

Last edited:
  • #1,835
WWGD said:
Which is a win-win practice in the long run. Customer gets a free drink/snack and is more likely to become a long term customer. Not a forward-looking practice. And these employees were at least in their 30's. Still, there is something a customer can do by not frequenting places that engage in this practice, which is what I will do.
Though Starbucks may be an exception: it does offer its drinks to customers in general when no one claims them.
Yes, fast food places used to be worth it (they were, once upon a time, actually fast), but they've degenerated into truly soul-less and unabashed money harvesting operations.
WWGD said:
I hear that is why these prepaid cards are good business for the companies issuing them: so many are thrown out , having unusable amounts left in them.
Yes, another unabashed money-harvesting tactic.

Incidentally, this is the direction educational institutions are going in as well.

• #1,836
And Mathew Stonie wins the coveted mustard-yellow belt today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqwLoZ0CcAE-oGY.jpg

• #1,837
collinsmark said:
And Mathew Stonie wins the coveted mustard-yellow belt today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqwLoZ0CcAE-oGY.jpg
Wonder how much money it takes to apply. If it is not too much, just register and get a good meal, don't worry about winning.

• #1,838
Just became acquainted with a show called "Drunk History." They get actual people drunk and have them relate some incident from history. They use the audio of this as the narration for a re-enactment by actors. Whenever anyone is quoted in the narration, the drunken narrator's voice comes out of the actor's mouths. It's a comedy: the narrator's slurred speech and anachronistic verbiage coming out of the actor's mouths has quite a comic effect.

Now, the reason I mention it is because the show was peppered with anti-smoking commercials.

• #1,839
zoobyshoe said:
Just became acquainted with a show called "Drunk History." They get actual people drunk and have them relate some incident from history. They use the audio of this as the narration for a re-enactment by actors. Whenever anyone is quoted in the narration, the drunken narrator's voice comes out of the actor's mouths. It's a comedy: the narrator's slurred speech and anachronistic verbiage coming out of the actor's mouths has quite a comic effect.

Now, the reason I mention it is because the show was peppered with anti-smoking commercials.
I think my high school teacher was in the show.

• #1,840
Here's a wonderful way to waste some time: pit yourself against google by punching into google two apparently unrelated words. If google finds a site where both words are used in the same sentence, you lose. When google finds a site where both words are used in the same article, though not the same sentence, you're on probation. If that happens again, you lose. But, if google cannot find a site where both words are used in the same article, you win.

I just googled "fuchsia microtone" certain I would defeat google, but damned if google didn't find them used in the same sentence, in this poem, (which is essentially a long run-on sentence):
https://books.google.com/books?id=f...Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=fuchsia microtone&f=false

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,841
Wonder what would happen if I open the door to the Victoria Secret store and shout " It's not a secret anymore" at the top of my lungs and then just walk away.

Their mannequins get better-looking every year.

• #1,842
zoobyshoe said:
Here's a wonderful way to waste some time: pit yourself against google by punching into google two apparently unrelated words. If google finds a site where both words are used in the same sentence, you lose. When google finds a site where both words are used in the same article, though not the same sentence, you're on probation. If that happens again, you lose. But, if google cannot find a site where both words are used in the same article, you win.

I just googled "fuchsia microtone" certain I would defeat google, but damned if google didn't find them used in the same sentence, in this poem, (which is essentially a long run-on sentence):
https://books.google.com/books?id=fxR5Kb1L1MIC&pg=PA215&lpg=PA215&dq=fuchsia+microtone&source=bl&ots=6NjNs-24Fv&sig=A8pyDfTmgK2OslwuRVnDlZvDHng&hl=en&sa=X&ei=2tyZVZqiKIKuogSd8oH4Bw&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=fuchsia microtone&f=false

Pretty sure you will get some weird hits next time you do a legit search.

• #1,843
WWGD said:
Pretty sure you will get some weird hits next time you do a legit search.
What do you mean?

• #1,844
zoobyshoe said:
What do you mean?
I mean Google tailors its search results to your previous searches. Different people get different results for the same search. I get some weird hits after I use Google to do the crossword puzzle. Google knows more about you (or me, or anyone) than we know about ourselves.

• #1,845
The more there are, the less there are.

Man shoots off firework from top of his head, dies instantly
http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-shoots-off-firework-top-head-dies-135937499.html

On the west coast, where it has been unusually dry, I've heard a number of reports of folks houses burned out/down due to someone's illegal use of fireworks. Pretty sad when someone's home and possessions go up in flames because of some reckless, irresponsible persons.

• #1,846
I just watched Jack Reacher and it has about the most realistic fight scenes you'll see in a film. In the sense that, when someone gets punched or kicked they get seriously hurt, and all the hurts accumulate. None of the everyone-comes-back-at-full-strength-until-killed nonsense you usually see.

Tom Cruise was actually excellent. I ended up completely forgetting he's physically wrong for the role (Jack Reacher is supposed to be 6ft 4inches tall).

Unfortunately, they watered down the bad guys. In the book (which was called One Shot) they were so nasty you couldn't wait to see them defeated.

• #1,847
zoobyshoe said:

https://books.google.com/books?id=fxR5Kb1L1MIC&pg=PA215&lpg=PA215&dq=fuchsia+microtone&source=bl&ots=6NjNs-24Fv&sig=A8pyDfTmgK2OslwuRVnDlZvDHng&hl=en&sa=X&ei=2tyZVZqiKIKuogSd8oH4Bw&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=fuchsia microtone&f=false
Not exactly the same but it's close to a Googlenope where you have to find an exact phrase. There's even a website to compete against others - Rate my Googlenope.

• #1,848
Borg said:
Not exactly the same but it's close to a Googlenope where you have to find an exact phrase. There's even a website to compete against others - Rate my Googlenope.
That's pretty good. But I think it's easier to write a googlenope than my thing, because the googlenope has to be an exact phrase. It's amazing how many apparently unconnected words can be found used somewhere in the same sentence, which is a looser criteria.

• #1,849
The hamster machine retires incandescently while Mars and the girly pillbug eat their three-ply spider needles for the glory of the stark eyelid of barrel dunes.

• #1,850
zoobyshoe said:
I just watched Jack Reacher and it has about the most realistic fight scenes you'll see in a film. In the sense that, when someone gets punched or kicked they get seriously hurt, and all the hurts accumulate. None of the everyone-comes-back-at-full-strength-until-killed nonsense you usually see.

Tom Cruise was actually excellent. I ended up completely forgetting he's physically wrong for the role (Jack Reacher is supposed to be 6ft 4inches tall).

Unfortunately, they watered down the bad guys. In the book (which was called One Shot) they were so nasty you couldn't wait to see them defeated.

I would love to see genuine fight scenes, the rubbish we get on tv is just gross.

Likes PWiz
  • #1,851
wolram said:
I would love to see genuine fight scenes, the rubbish we get on tv is just gross.
I've seen one or two real fights in real life and they are so much more awkward than anyone imagines.

• #1,852
zoobyshoe said:

There showing it here just now. Was it FX channel? Just curious to see if they rotate movies around the country.

• #1,853
WWGD said:
There showing it here just now. Was it FX channel? Just curious to see if they rotate movies around the country.
Yup, it was FX. They showed it a few days ago, too, but I didn't catch it that time. It will probably be shown quite a few more times in the next three weeks. That's how it usually works.

• #1,854
zoobyshoe said:
Yup, it was FX. They showed it a few days ago, too, but I didn't catch it that time. It will probably be shown quite a few more times in the next three weeks. That's how it usually works.
They probably bought the rights to show it until sometime soon, and they are going to squeeze it till the last drop.

• #1,855
There is this guy here who seems to be weirdly out of the loop, even though, by his own account he has lived here for a few years. There are thousands of Spanish-speaking people here with Spanish names, but this guy pronounces them completely wrong. He pronounces , e.g., "Jose" , as "Joe's" , and "Juan" , as "Jew-Ann" . It would seem that just by hanging out and being out there, he would have caught the right way of pronouncing the names.