Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,121
But I don't know if results from fin. dim. v.spaces necessarily extend to the infinite-dimensional case. Maybe doing PCA or Factor Analysis would help? Would a Kasperle transform also help?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,122
WWGD said:
But I don't know if results from fin. dim. v.spaces necessarily extend to the infinite-dimensional case. Maybe doing PCA or Factor Analysis would help? Would a Kasperle transform also help?
Where do you get the infinite dimensions from? There was a documentation here on TV in which someone (I do not dare to tell his name - he is anyway far too often on the screen these days ...) put a price tag on the US by basically counting the resources. This already comes close to my model.

Last edited:
  • #1,123
wolram said:
A Windsor knot is a devilish knot to tie only experts use it.
I am thrilled.
I've never done this before: Tie a bow. The restaurant I used to work for as a waiter during my college days didn't ask their employees to put it on, too bad! or I would have some experience of how to do it otherwise.

• #1,124
WWGD said:
What is the relation between the two? Is there a Kasperle involved?
Nope, only a Karl.

• #1,125
Today at the swap meet I scored a compact O.E.D. for $5.00.

Likes Psinter and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,126
fresh_42 said:
Funny. As I've thought about castles ... Our continent is the only one where you can find castles and palaces every few kilometres from Scotland to Sicily from Portugal to Austria. Never viewed it this way.
Why stop in Austria? Bojnice (read Boy-nitze) castle is just 20 km from my place :)
1353337812_bojnice-castle-11710-1920x1200.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_castles_in_Slovakia

Likes fresh_42, Psinter and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,127
Sophia said:
Why stop in Austria? Bojnice (read Boy-nitze) castle is just 20 km from my place :)
1353337812_bojnice-castle-11710-1920x1200.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_castles_in_Slovakia
How does one do maintenance on such a monster? How many cleaners, cooks. gardeners are needed
to keep the place in shape and running?

• #1,128
WWGD said:
How does one do maintenance on such a monster? How many cleaners, cooks. gardeners are needed
to keep the place in shape and running?
I tried to find out but couldn't find any statistics. Sure you need a lot of staff for that. Now all the castles are public and serve as museums. So cleaners, guides and gardeners can be paid from entrance fees. But they still don't earn enough money so some have not been reconstructed since the communist era. It's such a pity.

• #1,129
Sophia said:
I tried to find out but couldn't find any statistics. Sure you need a lot of staff for that. Now all the castles are public and serve as museums. So cleaners, guides and gardeners can be paid from entrance fees. But they still don't earn enough money so some have not been reconstructed since the communist era. It's such a pity.
Thanks for the effort. How about using them as hotels in general, maybe a luxury stay for some rich people, to help fund them?

• #1,131
WWGD said:
Thanks for the effort. How about using them as hotels in general, maybe a luxury stay for some rich people, to help fund them?
Yes, it is possible to rent some rooms and they are also used for wedding ceremonies and festivals. For some of them, we got money from the EU. History and archaeology students help save the ruins using materials they buy with their own money (unless someone steals those materials as happened last year) Also the services still don't reach western standards. Though I have the impression that it's gradually getting better. New generation of millionaires emerged and they are building luxurious hotels and aquaparks in beautiful national parks. But you know, all that profit goes to mafia :-)
I would say that we do have many wonderful and picturesque sites to offer but there are unfortunately dark forces who use every opportunity to steal whatever they can.

Likes WWGD
  • #1,132
Sophia said:
But you know, all that profit goes to mafia :-)
That reminds me of the time I had a sore throat and I almost lost my voice. I got the best service ever, everywhere I went, when using that throaty, low tone.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,133
wolram said:
Sophia, this castle is the same distance away from me , not as beautiful as yours though.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=i...b_s_nKAhWJShQKHSMYDXcQsAQIHw&biw=1366&bih=643
It's very nice. I liked English countryside a lot when I went there. You've got amazing lush green grass. I've never seen such green anywhere else. And the buildings made of red bricks or stones! You can feel history breathing on you :-)
And I must add that English people are so optimistic. Not the fake kind of optimistic but it seemed genuine to me. I only have nice memories of the UK.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,134
Sophia said:
It's very nice. I liked English countryside a lot when I went there. You've got amazing lush green grass. I've never seen such green anywhere else. And the buildings made of red bricks or stones! You can feel history breathing on you :-)
And I must add that English people are so optimistic. Not the fake kind of optimistic but it seemed genuine to me. I only have nice memories of the UK.
I've never been to UK before and want to go there to meet the Queen and King.

• #1,135
Silicon Waffle said:
We don't have a king right now, so you might have to wait a bit for that.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,136
Data is a killer robot.

• #1,137
Silicon Waffle said:

I will see if i can get you an invitation:biggrin:

• #1,138
The Queen's husband is not called a king in the UK ?
Tell them in your recommendation letter that I can do everything for the king.

Likes wolram
  • #1,139
When a man becomes King then his wife becomes Queen Consort.
When a woman becomes Queen, in her own right, then her husband can not become King as he would outrank her. Therefore he becomes Prince Consort.
In the case of our current Prince Consort - Prince Philip he also holds the title of Duke of Edinburgh.
Prince is his birthright, Prince Consort is by his being married to the Queen and Duke is an additional title that he holds.

In the letter i will ask the duke if he likes a waffle:biggrin:

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,140
wolram said:
When a man becomes King then his wife becomes Queen Consort.
When a woman becomes Queen, in her own right, then her husband can not become King as he would outrank her. Therefore he becomes Prince Consort.
In the case of our current Prince Consort - Prince Philip he also holds the title of Duke of Edinburgh.
Prince is his birthright, Prince Consort is by his being married to the Queen and Duke is an additional title that he holds.
Can Queen decide who will be the next King? I've heard that it is not clear if it will be Charles or prince William. But I've only read that in a tabloid, so maybe it isn't true :)

• #1,141
Sophia said:
Why stop in Austria?
Sorry, I should have written K&K :smile:
(I calculated the distance and 888 came out. Funny number.)

• #1,142
Sophia said:
Can Queen decide who will be the next King? I've heard that it is not clear if it will be Charles or prince William. But I've only read that in a tabloid, so maybe it isn't true :)
As far as know the successor to a current UK monarch in based on a very simple inheritance rule and there is no choice involved.
The rule is that all male children have priority over female, and that within each gender older children have priority over younger.
However the 'first in line' does have the option to immediately abdicate if the don't want the title, so then the 'next in line' would be offered it.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,143

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,144
wolram said:
In the letter i will ask the duke if he likes a waffle:biggrin:
I am pretty sure he will, because a waffle compared to a big hamburger doesn't cost him much at all. I can offer the King, if he picks me, a big sweet waffle for free.

• #1,145
collinsmark said:

If only all history classes were this interesting.

• #1,146
fresh_42 said:
Sorry, I should have written K&K :smile:
(I calculated the distance and 888 came out. Funny number.)
What does K&K mean?
I've got good news for you! I've done a research and according to ask-angels.com, this is the meaning of 888:

888 is a signal from the realms of spirit that prosperity in abundance is yours, and you’re on the right track to bring yourself into alignment with it.
When the angels show you 888 it may also mean that you’ve reached a level of completion in one or more areas in your life. Often the angel number 888 brings the message that something in your life needs to end or fade away soon so that you can return to balance and align with increased prosperity in abundance.
:partytime:

Likes fresh_42
  • #1,147
Today is a holiday here. Kind of strange how one can sense the feel of a holiday; day is more mellow, less active
than the usual. Although it may just be my imagination.

• #1,148
WWGD said:
Today is a holiday here. Kind of strange how one can sense the feel of a holiday; day is more mellow, less active
I hope it's not. Your employer will be annoyed if you only imagined it was a holiday.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,149
WWGD said:

what holiday is it?

• #1,150
New fortunes at the Chinese place with the lunch special are not as nice as the ones they used to have.
Just some lame jokes for the most part. Panda jokes.

• #1,152
Ibix said:
I hope it's not. Your employer will be annoyed if you only imagined it was a holiday.
Sorry, meant that my impression about the slower, mellower vibe may just be my imagination. And you're right, I cannot afford to miss neither work nor school, despite having received good evaluations and good grades so far. I have been reading up on different holidays in different religions and I will join the religion with the most holidays.

Likes Ibix
  • #1,153
WWGD said:
It is President's day. Not sure what that means.
Well, you must love your president because you have a day off because of him :) That's what's important! :biggrin:

• #1,154
WWGD said:
Sorry, meant that my impression about the slower, mellower vibe may just be my imagination.
I guessed. I was missing the point for comic effect.

• #1,155
Sophia said:
Well, you must love your president because you have a day off because of him :) That's what's important! :biggrin:
I think it is the other way around. I love him because he gave us a holiday.