Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,156
Ibix said:
I guessed. I was missing the point for comic effect.
Ah, sorry for my thickness . BTW: I just shot an elefant in my pijamas. I have no idea what the elefant was doing in my pijamas.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,157
WWGD said:
I think it is the other way around. I love him because he gave us a holiday.

That's what I meant. I made a strange sentence :)

• #1,158
Sophia said:
That's what I meant. I made a strange sentence :)
Don't worry, by writing that sentence alone you show more knowledge of English that I will most likely ever have of Slovakian ( a strange sentence itself). You're ahead of the game.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,159
Just curious: to those outside of the U.S, do you celebrate Valentine's day too? There seemed to be very little fuss about it this year, though.

• #1,161
WWGD said:
Just curious: to those outside of the U.S, do you celebrate Valentine's day too? There seemed to be very little fuss about it this year, though.
No. Only as an American style kind of import as burger, maple syrup, peanut butter or coke. Of course ads (Mon Chéri (forbidden to sell in the US, I think), florists etc.) are trying to establish it. Personally it's occupied as my (had been, has been?) wedding day. Long forgotten but valentine's day keeps reminding me.
14th of Feb doesn't have the same standing as your far more famous export, i.e. our re-import to be exact: halloween. Halloween parties here are a common thing, even if not to the extend of the American version. But that's ok, it's Irish anyway. :biggrin:

• #1,162
I just had to try repairing the loose tile in the shower... ?:)

• #1,163
fresh_42 said:
That's the closest I could get (haven't found sk):
https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakousko-Uhersko

K&K is the German term for it meaning "kaiserliche (A) und königliche (H) Monarchie".

Wow you are really great at searching! I thought you meant that but I wasn't sure as I've never seen that abbreviation before.

• #1,164
WWGD said:
Agree with fresh 42. It's mostly viewed as an American holiday. There are adverts for chocolates and stuff and tips for gifts or decorations in women's magazines. However, many people feel that it is an artifical holiday created by evil capitalists :-)
Some people, especially younger generation, do celebrate it but I think that the majority doesn't. Of those who celebrate, some only view it as a holiday of lovers, others give small presents to their family and friends as well.

• #1,165
Good to see that you do filter out some of the garbage we (our marketers) put out there.

• #1,166
WWGD said:
WWGD said:
Good to see that you do filter out some of the garbage we (our marketers) put out there.
I do celebrate Valentine's day. Alone, in my home.

introverts-unite.jpg

I'll probably have to go back to ordinary poor looking clothes. Girls are hooking their gazes with mine and it makes me uncomfortable. I'm an introvert and that kind of thing makes me uncomfortable. It happened yesterday and it happened today. And it's happening always! I be like: "I feel someone looking at me" and when I look there is indeed a girl looking me straight in the eyes. I look away for a while and when I look back they pierce their eyes on my eyes and make these (unrecognized by my mind) facial expressions and movements I don't understand. Definitely uncomfortable for introverts. Plus, their sudden friendliness also makes me uncomfortable. I'm not used to friendliness in face to face interactions.

I think in my mind: "Come on girls, it's just a change in clothes and hair, it's not like my face has changed. I'm still the ugly person I've always been." Well, my face skin changed a little since I started drinking collagen, but not that much.

Should I stop dressing how I like to stop the gazes or should I not give a sham and ignore those girls? I really like my clothes, I think I will just enter ignore mode.

• #1,167
Psinter said:
introverts-unite.jpg
I can't avoid to think of Cantor sets here ...

• #1,168
fresh_42 said:
I can't avoid to think of Cantor sets here ...
To associate that with mathematics, you mind is very mathematical. :smile: I could have never made that association.

• #1,169
This rings so much truth in my mind that I could not not share it: http://themetapicture.com/this-just-completely-changed-the-way/

Read it. It's someone's interpretation, not what the author really means. Even if it were, you cannot expect a child to deduce all that in the short time they've been in this world. But still, I find it a truthful interpretation. So called 'functional adults' with the task of defining society being depicted in a child's movie. What a shame.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,170
AT&T tells its 280,000 workers: adapt to new technology, or else
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/technology/headlines/20160215-att-tells-its-280000-workers-adapt-to-new-technology-or-else.ece

Adapt/innovate or perish

• #1,171
Astronuc said:
AT&T tells its 280,000 workers: adapt to new technology, or else
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/technology/headlines/20160215-att-tells-its-280000-workers-adapt-to-new-technology-or-else.ece

Adapt/innovate or perish
But it doesn't say perish. It says that else: you won't have much of a future. To which I would reply: Go on, it's not like I ever had much of a future. :oldlaugh:

I'm probably watching to much Hollywood. :biggrin:

• #1,172
Psinter said:
This rings so much truth in my mind that I could not not share it: http://themetapicture.com/this-just-completely-changed-the-way/

Read it. It's someone's interpretation, not what the author really means. Even if it were, you cannot expect a child to deduce all that in the short time they've been in this world. But still, I find it a truthful interpretation. So called 'functional adults' with the task of defining society being depicted in a child's movie. What a shame.
That's why in the past stories and myths were discussed by adults as well. It's just our so called civilised society that thinks stories are only for kids.
I love stories and myths. They contain centuries of human experience. Both good and bad, and often so true.

Likes 1oldman2 and Psinter
  • #1,173
Sophia said:
our so called civilised society
That reminds me of a short visual joke:
ME_499_Civil1-640x199.png

Sophia said:
That's why in the past stories and myths were discussed by adults as well.
I did not know this. It's great to know. Although I do remember something about how the Persians dealt regarding decisions of important stuff:
[PLAIN]http://classics.mit.edu/Herodotus/history.mb.txt said:
[/PLAIN]
It is also their general practice to deliberate upon affairs of weight
when they are drunk; and then on the morrow, when they are sober,
the decision to which they came the night before is put before them
by the master of the house in which it was made; and if it is then
approved of, they act on it; if not, they set it aside. Sometimes,
however, they are sober at their first deliberation, but in this case
they always reconsider the matter under the influence of wine.
:DD "Let's reconsider this important matter under the influence of wine, guys."
Sophia said:
I love stories and myths. They contain centuries of human experience. Both good and bad, and often so true.
Me too! :-p

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1oldman2 and Sophia
  • #1,174
I have seen more people becoming more open these days. That is great isn't it ? Cheers! :-p
... there is a thread named "Unusual set of 3 or 4 integers" in the math forum above that really interests me. :DD I really just need one reply, not all answers. It's enough for me then.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,175
Silicon Waffle said:
I have seen more people becoming more open these days. That is great isn't it ? Cheers! :-p
Hey, that's just because I felt comfortable around you, Sophia and lisab and zoobyshoe. Don't tease me or I'll close myself.

Initiating closing sequence... Done
Initiating seclusion sequence... Done

Now I'm untouchable.

Some comics and funny introvert stuff:
funny-introvert-girl-fear-call-comic.jpg
extroverts-be-all-up-in-my-hamster-ball.jpg
6a00d8341c5f3053ef01b8d187349b970c-800wi.png
funny-introverts-company-people-quote.jpg

Likes fresh_42, collinsmark, Sophia and 1 other person
  • #1,176
You will always feel good with me Psinter, get in here quick because the timeout is predetermined with only a small value, I am open by now.

Likes Psinter
  • #1,177
  • #1,178
Psinter said:
Not too long ago I saw this machine that specialized in creating water from air. It was very interesting I must say.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/24/tech/innovation/machine-makes-drinking-water-from-air/
It says:

The system produces 250-800 liters (65-210 gallons) of potable water a day depending on temperature and humidity conditions and Kohavi says it uses two cents' worth of electricity to produce a liter of water.
I wonder how they power it. If it's used by soldiers who are in the field and off the grid, they have to have batteries or solar panels, or generators. Otherwise, it's a cool invention.

Likes Psinter and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,179
I can't really see how this is anything more than a ordinary air conditioner/refrigerator system, except that it collects the water instead of just letting the resulting ice melt/evaporate when it's in the off cycle.
... and yes it would need a substantial power supply.
It wouldn't be very much use in hot dry climates where there isn't a lot of water to be collected anyway.

• #1,180
rootone said:
I can't really see how this is anything more than a ordinary air conditioner/refrigerator system, except that it collects the water instead of just letting the resulting ice melt/evaporate when it's in the off cycle.
... and yes it would need a substantial power supply.
It wouldn't be very much use in hot dry climates where there isn't a lot of water to be collected anyway.
They're not claiming it's innovative, just that it is engineered to collect moisture more efficiently than an air conditioner:

Capturing atmospheric humidity isn't a ground-breaking invention in itself -- other companies already sell atmospheric water generators for commercial and domestic use -- but Water-Gen says it has made its water generator more energy efficient than others by using the cooled air created by the unit to chill incoming air.

"Several companies tried to extract water from the air," says Kohavi. "It looks simple, because air conditioning is extracting water from air. But the issue is to do it very efficiently, to produce as much water as you can per kilowatt of power consumed."

Likes Psinter and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,181
rootone said:
Yeah, that's the catch: in a really arid climate there's not much moisture to collect.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,182
I wondered, was intrigued, by the teller lady who referred to "The ATM" and " The PIN" , instead of the usual
,redundant use of "ATM Machine" and "PIN Number". A correct but very unusual use of the terms. How come?

Likes OCR
  • #1,183
rootone said:
Now that you bring that up, if you allow me to derail the subject a little, I live in a very humid climate. Trees keep the humidity over 90% almost always. Which sucks because for some reason I'm allergic to the apparent eternal atmospheric fungus that appears in this humidity and never disappears. That's why I prefer life in the city. The air is dry and no fungus to cause me allergies. I'm happy in the city, and terribly sick with allergy in the forest. Humid forests are nice to visit and spend a few days, but not to live in because of human pathogens and allergens in the atmosphere. Some humans appear to be immune and live happily there, but not me.

I'm a dunce when it comes to biology, but here is something I found: (the study appears to be from Europe)
http://www.pnas.org/content/106/31/12814.full said:
Moreover, some fungi are major pathogens and allergens. The diversity of airborne fungi is, however, not well-known. By DNA analysis we found pronounced differences in the relative abundance and seasonal cycles of various groups of fungi in coarse and fine particulate matter, with more plant pathogens in the coarse fraction and more human pathogens and allergens in the respirable fine particle fraction (<3 μm).

Some fungi are major pathogens or allergens for humans, animals, and plants, and air is the primary medium for their dispersal (18–20), but the diversity of fungi in air particulate matter is not well-known.

Note that fine particles have longer residence times in the atmosphere (multiple days to weeks) and that they can reach the alveolar region of human lungs upon inhalation, whereas coarse particles are rapidly removed from the atmosphere (sedimentation, scavenging, and precipitation) and are deposited in the upper airways when inhaled. Thus, the scientific investigation and public discussion of climate and health effects are mostly focused on fine aerosol particles (11).

My list of pros and cons of living in the forest.
Pros:
  • More silent (humanly speaking, fauna speaking there are always noises of other animals)
  • No foul smells from trash containers like in the city
  • Neighbors have this kind of humanity and kindness not found in people of the city
  • Real darkness at night, the city is always illuminated
  • Beautiful small birds singing
  • Rivers
  • Amphibians which I like
Cons:
  • Horrible Allergies
  • Spiders
  • All kind of weird and creepy arthropods which I'm scared of and come out when it heavily rains (despite the fact that it rains almost every day)
  • Rains almost every day so keeping things dry is a pain
  • Electronics get damaged faster because of high humidity

• #1,184
WWGD said:
I wondered, was intrigued, by the teller lady who referred to "The ATM" and " The PIN" , instead of the usual
,redundant use of "ATM Machine" and "PIN Number". A correct but very unusual use of the terms. How come?
I didn't know if was unusual. Maybe ATM is a bit weird, but PIN sounded perfectly natural to me, because I thought N stands for number so you don't have to use it again. From now on, I will remember to say "PIN number" in English.

Likes OCR
  • #1,185
WWGD said:
Who did that horrible thing to you ? Sounds like a disaster.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,186
WWGD said:
... instead of the usual ,redundant use of "ATM Machine" and "PIN Number".

Lol... RAS syndrome .[COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR] :oldwink:

Likes WWGD and Sophia
  • #1,187
OCR said:
Lol... RAS syndrome .[COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR] :oldwink:
Thanks for the post, please Reserve an RSVP the next post, please.

Likes OCR
  • #1,188
Sophia said:
I didn't know if was unusual. Maybe ATM is a bit weird, but PIN sounded perfectly natural to me, because I thought N stands for number so you don't have to use it again. From now on, I will remember to say "PIN number" in English.
No, PIN is the right way in here unless you think redundancy is necessary.