What Exactly Is Happening In the Arab/Persian World?

• News
  • Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
In summary, the protests in Egypt are continuing and there are reports of violence and fires. The situation is not looking good for the government.
DevilsAvocado said:
Umbrella against bombs?

He's gone Michael Jackson!

michael-jackson-with-umbrella.jpe

Physics news on Phys.org
DevilsAvocado said:
http://gizmodo.com/#!5766477/libyan...-escape-to-malta-refusing-to-bomb-protesters"

Probably an understatement... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage_F1#Current_operators"... Gaddafi wax is probably on fire...

Agree... imagine this man’s face if 'his' fighter jets are used in a "bombing genocide" by a crazy dictator...

zy_meeting_in_Toulouse_for_the_2007_French_presidential_election_0299_2007-04-12_cropped_further.jpg

HA! I was talking about that on the phone a while ago. I'm sure France is THRILLED those colonels defected, but military aircraft were used in Tripoli... Here's to hoping they're not ours. :redface:

@Greg: I think that should be added to the DSM-V as a criteria for an emergent delusional disorder:NOS. :biggrin:

Wait... under those robes and the pancake makeup... Ghaddaffi... SETEC ASTRONOMY...

:

MJ IS GHADDAFI! Michael Jackson must have been Ghaddafi's day job when he's not being the godfather of Libya... he's the godfather of POP!

Oh wait... that doesn't work. Nope, I guess they both just had fair skin... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
He's gone Michael Jackson!

michael-jackson-with-umbrella.jpe

:biggrin::smile::biggrin:

Thriller!

Wait... if that umbrella WAS bullet resistant fabric... that wouldn't be a bad idea. Just goes to show that many problems in life are solved from the barrel of a long rifle, and the people who most deserve the payload know it.

Frankly, I'm amazed that one of his own people hasn't killed him yet.

nismaratwork said:
MJ IS GHADDAFI! Michael Jackson must have been Ghaddafi's day job when he's not being the godfather of Libya... he's the godfather of POP!

Thriller10

NOTE: Lacy33... I'm joking about MJ, Greg MADE me do this... he has powers. :blushing:

@DA: I love your emoticons... "Where does he get those wonderful TOYS?!" (The Joker)

nismaratwork said:
Frankly, I'm amazed that one of his own people hasn't killed him yet.

Thriller: revised sequel(don’t tell anyone...:smile:)

Oh lord... refugees in London are descibing the scene in Triploli...

They're using ARTILLARY against civilians. I'm so angry I can barrely type.

@DA I still find that funny.

nismaratwork said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :cry::mad::cry::mad::cry::mad::cry::mad:

nismaratwork said:
Oh lord... refugees in London are descibing the scene in Triploli...

Ghaddafi is digging his own grave. It won't go well for him when they get to him.

nismaratwork said:
MJ IS GHADDAFI!

Muammar+Gaddafi+Meets+PM+Berlusconi+Italian+xNydEleqq0Il.jpg
http://blogs.bet.com/entertainment/staytuned/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/michael-jackson1.jpg

What are you talking about? o:)

I think it's time to asess where this is going, beyond the immidiate. Libya is probably lost, even to itself... what is this message going to say to the region?

AP said:
Deep cracks opened in Moammar Gadhafi's regime Monday, with Libyan government officials at home and abroad resigning, air force pilots defecting and a bloody crackdown on protest in the capital of Tripoli, where cars and buildings were burned. World leaders were outraged at the "vicious forms of repression" used against the demonstrators.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7439624.html

I would hope some elements of the military move to stop those firing at civilians.

Borg said:
Ghaddafi is digging his own grave. It won't go well for him when they get to him.

He's already a dead man walking, agreed, but it may be that Libya is going to itself in civil war, as advertised. Ghaddafi... the ultimate "spoiler".

@Gokul: Now that is truly eerie. Like a couple of thin, pale Idi Amins.

Astronuc said:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7439624.html

I would hope some elements of the military move to stop those firing at civilians.

It seems that the mercenaries are being... mercenary... I'm not sure that a military without command and control is going to survive that.

BEN WEDEMEN: Live on CNN as of now.

He's saying the border is utterly unguarded. The internet is down, local calls can be made but none beyond Libya. He's still in Eastern Libya however...

They believe that the military has joined them, but that they expect possible use of military aircraft against the eastern portion as well.

Does anyone know what regional C&C/SAM/AA is in Libya?

Astronuc said:

Agree :frown:

If the military is shelling it's own people, is there a point where outside forces move into help?

DevilsAvocado said:
Agree :frown:

This is the question: CAN they? They're being faced with sub-saharan African mercenaries (speaking French according to a report by Ben Wedemen), and airstrikes. My question, if the they wanted to, can do they have meaningful AA capability and any semblance of command and control left? It sounds chaotic, and that makes organized defense impossible.

Remember we know now that this man was willing to BOMB his second largest cty...

This is going to be ugly... so ugly. They seem to want Libya, or destroy it...

Greg Bernhardt said:
If the military is shelling it's own people, is there a point where outside forces move into help?

The only outside forces involved now are mercenaries. Remember, that this is also a country that fosters jihaadi ideology in the worst way... who takes power here is going to be ugly no matter what.

Without Ghaddafi... there is no Libya as we know it, because he seems willing to destroy the infrastructure and return the country to a basic state.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Libyan government role is to stabilize the country, take control over the things, and not sit idle. It's unfortunate but I don't believe Libyan government is doing worse than any other strong government (e.g. China) in similar situation.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone have a spare carrier group and corps? NATO? China?

Astronuc said:

That reminds me of Iraq.

Throwing out the dictator and changing their political system might open a big can of worms.

nismaratwork said:
This is the question: CAN they?

I have no idea... maybe Greg is right "outside forces move into help"... the problem is that EU is not the perfect place for swift pragmatic decisions (nothing has happened since Yugoslavia)...

Uncle Sam...?

Astronuc said:

Has china ever helped in a battle? I was thinking some african nations could help, but they only help if it's in their backyard and they likely aren't skilled enough to handle this situation. I am considering this only if the country is lost and in chaos.

Astronuc said:

Phone call from Putin?

Astronuc said:

Yeah... we do. India would, but they're worried about Pakistan.

France could send the Charles Du Gaule... and Italy could stop ALL of this with their airforce... as could we, and NATO.

Don't be mistaken, we watched Sudan, and Rwanda... until oil stops flowing, blood will. End of story.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Has china ever helped in a battle? I was thinking some african nations could help, but they only help if it's in their backyard and they likely aren't skilled enough to handle this situation. I am considering this only if the country is lost and in chaos.

Here I agree with WhoWee... Russia COULD do this if they committed to annexation; they have the force of arms. China lacks the naval carrying capacity and ability to project power in the region.

rootX said:
That reminds me of Iraq.

Throwing out the dictator and changing their political system might open a big can of worms.

No might here, but it's happening with or without us.

Can NATO troops be sent in?

Qaddafi is evil/crazy enough that if he is going to lose power, he'd rather see the country destroyed.

Evo said:
Can NATO troops be sent in?

Qaddafi is evil/crazy enough that if he is going to lose power, he'd rather see the country destroyed.

In theory, yes, but in practice... Somalia on methamphetamine.

You're right IMO about Ghaddafi though... he seems to be the real deal: true meglomania. You don't see it that blatant, that often in times of relative peace.

nismaratwork said:
No might here, but it's happening with or without us.

It might be possible if either government loses strength or people stop. I don't believe those people are strong enough for their government.

rootX said:
It might be possible if either government loses strength or people stop. I don't believe those people are strong enough for their government.

Agreed... besides, who would we talk to, or deal with? OR SUPPORT? I'm not sure there is a "good guy" here... just Ghaddafi and everyone else. We're still talking about a really REALLY horrific track record, beyond Ghaddafi.

Anyway... if they can truly get airstrikes in Benghazi... it's civil war. It's madness to interfere in a civil war.

nismaratwork said:
Agreed... besides, who would we talk to, or deal with? OR SUPPORT? I'm not sure there is a "good guy" here... just Ghaddafi and everyone else. We're still talking about a really REALLY horrific track record, beyond Ghaddafi.

Anyway... if they can truly get airstrikes in Benghazi... it's civil war. It's madness to interfere in a civil war.

I hope peace returns soon. More long it goes, more casualties.