What Exactly Is Happening In the Arab/Persian World?

• News
  • Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
In summary, the protests in Egypt are continuing and there are reports of violence and fires. The situation is not looking good for the government.
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,018
Malta must be thrilled at receiving all this free military gear lol

• #1,019
Greg Bernhardt said:
Free 40-50 year old military gear that they have no parts for? Still, it's nice to see that some factions of the military are refusing to slaughter fellow Libyans just to keep the creep in power.

• #1,020
Borg said:
Oh to see the look on [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] "that son of goats" face over that! :smile:

You know I love you now... right? :wink:

Yes, Malta is having a good day, while Spain, France and Italy should probably get ready for SERIOUS blowback. Oh... and candles... they might want to invest in candles.

It seems that bomber was headed for the oil fields, not the population center of Benghazi. This... is not a good development.

• #1,021
turbo-1 said:
Free 40-50 year old military gear that they have no parts for? Still, it's nice to see that some factions of the military are refusing to slaughter fellow Libyans just to keep the creep in power.

I'm sure they'll find a suitable buyer for a couple of French jets used by Qaddafi... maybe France will want them back? :smile:

• #1,022
nismaratwork said:
MJ IS GHADDAFI! Michael Jackson must have been Ghaddafi's day job when he's not being the godfather of Libya... he's the godfather of POP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8flIbqvQ7Eo

• #1,023
They are saying Ghadaffi might be ordering the destruction of oil pipelines, think the world's oil supply might be in for a major shock soon?

• #1,024
CAC1001 said:
They are saying Ghadaffi might be ordering the destruction of oil pipelines, think the world's oil supply might be in for a major shock soon?
Do you have a source? "They" are notoriously unreliable WRT the facts.

• #1,025
turbo-1 said:
Do you have a source? "They" are notoriously unreliable WRT the facts.

Just was flipping through some news channels and heard it. That's why I said "might" though, as a lot of the stuff right now is totally unconfirmed as regards to Libya.

• #1,026
I've been hearing this too, and it jives with the goat's son to try and bomb Benghazi's oil fields. Definitive? hell no... probable?... sure seems that way.

• #1,027
CAC1001 said:

Wow, 8 posts. Trying to artificially inflate oil futures? Just kidding, but on a more serious note I'd like to see some more definative sources, as well.

• #1,028
Greg Bernhardt said:

I was thinking the same thing the other day. A friend of mine spent some time in Malta, so I knew how small it was. I was curious if they had an air force at all.

Ok then, here's half of Malta's air force before the two Libyan colonels defected.

300px-Scottish_Aviation_Bulldog%2C_SK_61C.jpg

But I'd say their military budget is going to skyrocket now that are going to have to replace Gunther the old volkswagen mechanic with an army of techs to keep those two Mirages in the air.

• #1,029
It would seem that Moamar has hired Algerian pilots, and his son's 7 battalions are on the prowl in Tripoli. With threats of mustard agents and poisoning water supplies, we can only hope those are desperate and empty threats.

Oh, and the mercenaries?... being offered 1000-2000 USD (reported by CNN, unconfirmed) Per diem... keep in mind that's as much or more than the average YEARLY earnings in the regions being drawn from.

• #1,030
CAC1001 said:

NPR reported yesterday that Libya contributes 2% of the world's oil supplies. Saudi Arabia can make up that amount, effortlessly.

So I'm a bit perplexed as to why oil prices didn't budge much until Libya started having trouble. It doesn't seem that they are a big enough player to upset the markets; is it just the final straw?

• #1,031
lisab said:
NPR reported yesterday that Libya contributes 2% of the world's oil supplies. Saudi Arabia can make up that amount, effortlessly.

So I'm a bit perplexed as to why oil prices didn't budge much until Libya started having trouble. It doesn't seem that they are a big enough player to upset the markets; is it just the final straw?

i believe they said something about it being very high quality/burns cleanly. got to keep things pristine in europa.

• #1,032
lisab said:

They contribute 2% of the [STRIKE]supply[/STRIKE] PRODUCTION, but they sit on the largest proven African reserves... which could be scuttled. In addition, the Saudis are getting even richer as this happens, and just pledged 10 billion USD in what amounts to social bribery.

Ah yes... and remember: Italy gets 38% of their oil from Libya, for one example. Interrupt that, and Italy is suddenly in the market for different oil. Spain, France... and others (especially Spain) would be wise to invest in candles at this point.

• #1,033
OmCheeto said:
Ok then, here's half of Malta's air force before the two Libyan colonels defected.

500px-Scottish_Aviation_Bulldog%2C_SK_61C.jpg

HUMMMMMMMMMMM!

See any resemblance on the aircraft insignia and these guys...??

[URL]http://iahmia.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/foppa.jpg[/URL]

When did Malta win the Olympic Gold in ICE HOCKEY?

These planes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Air_Force" ! :mad::mad:

(:smile:)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,034
DevilsAvocado said:
HUMMMMMMMMMMM!

See any resemblance on the aircraft insignia and these guys...??

[URL]http://iahmia.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/foppa.jpg[/URL]

When did Malta win the Olympic Gold in ICE HOCKEY?

These planes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Air_Force" ! :mad::mad:

(:smile:)

no, those are just disks. 1000 free hours when you sign up for AOL.

• #1,035
:smile::smile::smile:

• #1,036
OmCheeto said:
I was thinking the same thing the other day. A friend of mine spent some time in Malta, so I knew how small it was. I was curious if they had an air force at all.

300px-Scottish_Aviation_Bulldog%2C_SK_61C.jpg

But I'd say their military budget is going to skyrocket now that are going to have to replace Gunther the old volkswagen mechanic with an army of techs to keep those two Mirages in the air.

Actually, two thirds of their fixed wing airplanes are Bulldogs (4 planes). They also have two Britten-Norman BN-2Bs.

They also have 5 helicopters, 3 of which used to belong to the Libyan Air Force, so there's precedence.

• #1,037
OmCheeto said:

Watch the movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Countdown_(film)" . That was thirty-five years ago. Do you think we've been sitting still since then?

Sheesh!

I'm out.

• #1,038
Half second with a mechanic and a hammer and either would be totalled.

What the hell is this post about? grown a brain, someone, please. Thanks.

• #1,039
mugaliens said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Countdown_(film)"

Humor anyone? Poodles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

• #1,040
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02/25/libya.protests/index.html?hpt=T1

Well, the USA just dissolved diplomatic relations, almost the moment the Americans were safe in Malta.

Meanwhile, The goat's son gave another speech in Green Square exhorting the crowd to bleed to the last in defense of Tripoli, and then to sing and dance. Video is on CNN and elsewhere of the scene, and the attempted protest met with anti-material assets, including artillery and mortar fire.

• #1,041
i've got a weird feeling that the ambassador is hoping to end up as the new leader.

• #1,042
nismaratwork said:
It seems Ghaddafi (who I will now refer to as, "that son of goats") ...

That gives me an idea. Maybe we could get George Clooney and company to do something about the situation.

zwm9h1.jpg

• #1,043
:smile:

• #1,044
Borg said:
That gives me an idea. Maybe we could get George Clooney and company to do something about the situation.

zwm9h1.jpg

Hehheheheh, that would make the world a much better place, yes. :biggrin:

• #1,045
Post Tunisia events:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12588004
Security forces in the Tunisian capital have fired tear gas to try to disperse hundreds of demonstrators outside the interior ministry.

These people are out of their minds.

• #1,046
rootX said:
Post Tunisia events:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12588004

OK... first, if I could there would be a litany of curses preceeding this.

Second... stupid bastards... they need to maintain order, but if they use the tactics of the old regime they'll be treated the same way.

• #1,047
Hungery

rootX said:

taking GDP(ppp) and population from the CIA Factbook (current) and using one
quarter of GDP(ppp) divided by population as the minimum wage we get

$ per hour
US 6.20
France 4.35
Saudi 3.15
Libya 1.80
Tunisia 1.25
China 1.00
Egypt 0.80
Paki 0.30

$ per month
US 990
France 695
Saudi 500
Libya 290
Tunisia 200
China 155
Egypt 130
Paki 50

Maybe they are just hungery.

• #1,048

edpell said:
You forgot to take cost of living into consideration, so this doesn't have much meaning by itself. But, yes, the poor are very poor.

• #1,049

Evo said:
You forgot to take cost of living into consideration, so this doesn't have much meaning by itself. But, yes, the poor are very poor.

I am using the purchasing power parity numbers from the CIA Factbook that is the (ppp) in my post. I have let the CIA figure out the PPP conversion. I trust they know what they are doing.

The numbers would look far worse if I just used GDP.

• #1,050

edpell said:
Maybe they are just hungry.

Those comparisons are meaningless.

However, longer they protest, longer country stays in chaos, longer it takes to the bring back the country to the right track. It is nonsensical to overthrow governments and create chaos every time they feel hungry. Blaming government for everything, protesting, and creating chaos is not going to give them better living standards.