What Exactly Is Happening In the Arab/Persian World?

• News
  • Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
In summary, the protests in Egypt are continuing and there are reports of violence and fires. The situation is not looking good for the government.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Egypt museum had some looting. Without tourism egypt becomes sudan

...and with a splintered military, the Canal could turn into the coast of Somalia.

Physics news on Phys.org

Greg Bernhardt said:
Slashdot.org reporting egypt pulled it's last ISP. No Internet for Egypt.
Need satellite links to get anything out of Egypt now. Al Jazeera has already sussed that out a long time ago after getting stiffed by autocratic Arabic regimes. Hope they can keep the information flowing tomorrow (Week anniversary of the protests.)

turbo-1 said:
Need satellite links to get anything out of Egypt now. Al Jazeera has already sussed that out a long time ago after getting stiffed by autocratic Arabic regimes. Hope they can keep the information flowing tomorrow (Week anniversary of the protests.)

my bold

Turbo, how many hours have you been watching Al Jazeera?:redface:(sorry)

WhoWee said:
my bold

Turbo, how many hours have you been watching Al Jazeera?:redface:(sorry)
Not long, but they were getting clean feeds out of Iraq when it was not the US military's best interests. Remember?

Greg Bernhardt said:

True, and cell service is down, but now that people have had time to prepare, it doesn't seem to be having the same effect. Twitter and media outlets are pairing the ability to make certain "safe" international calls, speak your twiiter message, and have it posted by an external source. There are dozens of other ways to get actual internet, such as simply making an external call to a dial up proxy outside of your restrictive regime: you know, like the entire middle east and China's youth have been doing for years.

These measures are, I believe, effective in the early stages of organization, but once things have gone so far, fliers and word of mouth will do. In a way, this arguably cripples everyone except the military when they're out in the field, giving an advantage to any protesters who DO show up.

I would just add, I love the museum... it's great, but there's still the Sphinx, pyramids, dig sites... oh yes, and the Suez. Besides, there isn't the horrific cultural divive in Egypt, or rather, the minorities are so minor that they don't represent a "Sudan-like" population to victimize.

WhoWee said:
...and with a splintered military, the Canal could turn into the coast of Somalia.

Except that if needed, Israel can take the Suez, and then hold it with US aid... the area which needs to be held is minimal compared to the entire coast of Somalia.

Look, there's worry and caution, and then there's giving yourself agita for no reason.

nismaratwork said:
Except that if needed, Israel can take the Suez, and then hold it with US aid... the area which needs to be held is minimal compared to the entire coast of Somalia.

Look, there's worry and caution, and then there's giving yourself agita for no reason.

"Israel can take the Suez"? How would that ease tensions?

lisab said:
I'm betting the Egyptians will be savvy enough to recognize BS when they hear it :smile:!
nismaratwork said:
They're WAY too angry to care at this point... I wouldn't worry.

... omg geez ... :blushing: yet another of my very "Late Show" disasters ... :biggrin:

Ummm... A little louder please...

DevilsAvocado said:
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/02/01/jordan.government/"

Amazing how two weeks ago this would have been the talk of the world. Now it's a side note.

Last edited by a moderator:

More uncertainty - aside from change - what does the crowd actually want to achieve? When/where/how will they find their voice?

OmCheeto said:
Ummm... A little louder please...

Thanks! :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:

turbo-1 said:

There’s still a possibility to tweet.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/01/google-twitter-egypt

Google and Twitter launch service enabling Egyptians to tweet by phone

Google and Twitter have launched a service to allow people in Egypt to send Twitter messages by leaving a voicemail on a specific number after the last internet service provider in the country saw its access cut off late on Monday.

The new service, which has been created by co-ordination between the two internet companies, uses Google's speech-to-text recognition service to automatically translate provides an online voicemail service and tweets a link to each message, which is sent out on Twitter with the "#egypt" hashtag.

Google listed three phone numbers for people to call to use the service. They are: +16504194196; +390662207294; and +97316199855.

http://twitter.com/search?q=#Egypt" :!)

CNN: OBAMA calls natl. SECURITY MEETING

Well, CNN is reporting that Mubarak has decided not to run again, but he still wants to finish out his 8 more months. I'm not sure that's going to cut it for the people on the street anymore... they really loathe him and his police.

NPR was also reporting that Netanyahu was now backpedaling, speaking out in favor of democracy as opposed to their gov't's earlier attempt to request privately that other nations support the Mubarak gov't. seems the writing is on the wall. you may still need a few months, tho, to hammer out a new constitution or whatever it is they need to ensure that future gov'ts can't also undermine democratic process.

CONGRATULATIONS AND SUCCESS TO THE PEOPLE OF EGYPT!
May you know much better times in the future, much happiness and good communications.
Go in Strength and go and do good.

Lacy33 said:
CONGRATULATIONS AND SUCCESS TO THE PEOPLE OF EGYPT!
May you know much better times in the future, much happiness and good communications.
Go in Strength and go and do good.

BTW - What is your plan - do you have one yet?

WhoWee said:
"Israel can take the Suez"? How would that ease tensions?

Who said anything about easing tensions? I was responding to the notion of an insecure shipping channel being secured in the context of international stability.

An interesting article on Egypt... I'm personally not sure what to think of it.

WhoWee said:
BTW - What is your plan - do you have one yet?

We let the peoples work things out. I am happy the President did not just walk away and really let things run a muck. He is going to be hearing from everyone and more things will be happening in the region as well so all that will be considered.
This is not my field, but I, being an older person am thankful the young got him to move...out and he was wise not to just take off and go on vacation.

Why are you asking me?
Is this thread the center of world government and all leaders are watching us here taking our advice on how to run the world?
I just congratulated the people for successfully taking hold of their future as it should be.
The people want him to step down NOW!
If he steps down NOW! What is YOUR plan? :shy:

Hmmm... the crowd in Tahrir square seems far more angry than mollified by Mubarak. More waiting and seeing I guess, to see how the rest of Egypt reacts.

Lacy33 said:
We let the peoples work things out. I am happy the President did not just walk away and really let things run a muck. He is going to be hearing from everyone and more things will be happening in the region as well so all that will be considered.
This is not my field, but I, being an older person am thankful the young got him to move...out and he was wise not to just take off and go on vacation.

Why are you asking me?
Is this thread the center of world government and all leaders are watching us here taking our advice on how to run the world?
I just congratulated the people for successfully taking hold of their future as it should be.
The people want him to step down NOW!
If he steps down NOW! What is YOUR plan? :shy:

I too think this might be the best solution. If he were to walk away it would create a vacuum of power - most likely filled by all the wrong people - just waiting for such an opportunity.

No, my question was an add-on to your post - not a challenge. I hope the people of Egypt can now find a voice and a plan (I don't believe they have either at this point) - Mubarak's job description might become mediator?

Irrelevant... this speech has had the opposite effect intended... from all reporting the crowds, political parties, are incredibly angered by Mubarak's statement. They don't seem to believe him (what a shock right? :rolleyes:) and they're saying they will occupy other squares, and take his palace at Heliopolis.

I believe Mubarak is going to have to run, or die in his pride; how very 'Old Testament' of him!

WhoWee said:
I too think this might be the best solution. If he were to walk away it would create a vacuum of power - most likely filled by all the wrong people - just waiting for such an opportunity.

No, my question was an add-on to your post - not a challenge. I hope the people of Egypt can now find a voice and a plan (I don't believe they have either at this point) - Mubarak's job description might become mediator?

They're too angry WhoWee, and they've realized that they have this power? I don't believe the Egyptians want anything, literally anything they can all agree on except that they want Mubarak gone.

Given how diverse Egyptian society is, it would be like Ivan, Russ, Myself, You, Al, Jared, DA... ALL saying that Obama was evil and had to be impeached... it might be the only thing we'd all agree on, but until that was done can you imagine how motivated that kind of coalition would be?

nismaratwork said:
They're too angry WhoWee, and they've realized that they have this power? I don't believe the Egyptians want anything, literally anything they can all agree on except that they want Mubarak gone.

Given how diverse Egyptian society is, it would be like Ivan, Russ, Myself, You, Al, Jared, DA... ALL saying that Obama was evil and had to be impeached... it might be the only thing we'd all agree on, but until that was done can you imagine how motivated that kind of coalition would be?

Sure they are full of themselves. They and we just realized how much power the "people" have.
We all have to get use to this FAST! But there are enough grown ups (of all ages) around to organize. Keep out the real extremists,.. PLEASE... and this will work out.
So they are mad. :redface: .. I know in real life when I am impassioned and then make my point suddenly and unexpectedly, I don't always (if ever) have the grace to just shut up and take the next step in problem solving. OMgosh! What if there were thousands of Lacy's? All outside in the street too stunned to just be quiet? :eek: :blushing:
This is human nature. Let it be. Some forces need to quiet slower.
This has everyone's attention now.
All will be for good.. (How Old Testement. LOL)
And why am I not on that obama list please?

OK, Obama is going to talk... (for a change. )

nismaratwork said:

Count me out!

(:smile:)

Lacy33 said:
OK, Obama is going to talk... (for a change. )

Yup, this will be very interesting...

*** Sign in Cairo: Yes We Can Too ***

DevilsAvocado said:
Count me out!

What does it take to get Ivan to post? Has anyone heard from him?

WhoWee said:
Has anyone heard from him?

Too much revolution going on...

DevilsAvocado said:
Count me out!

If you're going out, I want to be put in instead!

Back