What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,886
skyshrimp said:
Did she laugh or cringe? :)
More like an eye roll and then she seemed to have tried to avoid me today.

Likes skyshrimp
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,887
I had a weird one at work today. This female coworker has been very flirty with me for the past two weeks and I've returned it. She's been quite hands on the last few days. When I was leaving today, she stopped me and asked if I wanted to pop out for a smoke with her before I go. Her English isn't that great, so she asked me to check a text she was about to send a while we were chatting. There were two other colleagues in the smoking area. I read out 'Do you want to meet up for a coffee?' She said, "Don't say that out loud! There are people listening. That text might have been sexual? I've met this guy yesterday and he's offered me a job for more money".

Why would she go out of her way and flirt with me and then ask me out for a smoke to read a text to another guy? Maybe she wanted to make me jealous to up my game? I don't want to. I wouldn't have started the flirting in the first place tbh. She's a nice girl, but I'm not looking for a relationship atm.

Weird.

• #3,888
CWatters said:
Today while talking to my wife in the garden my voice suddenly sounded all weird for a few seconds. Most disconcerting. As I moved my head this weird effect came and went. Quickly discovered that I was standing right at the focal point of the small curved wall around my patio and it was reflecting the sound back to me. The sweet spot appears to be quite small, only about 1 square foot in area. Quite an amazing effect given the wall is only 4 courses of bricks high. My teenage kids were suitably freaked out when I got them to stand there.

This sounds like a phenomenon in the US capitol where the House of Representatives used to meet.
Legend has it that this effect was used by some to eavesdrop on otherwise cryptic conversations political opponents were having.
Following his one term as president, John Quincy Adams served in the House of Representatives for 18 years. If you visit what is now called Statuary Hall in the U.S. Capitol and stand on the plaque that marks where his desk once rested, you’ll discover that you can hear everything people say — even whisper — from clear across the room. Legend has it that Adams eavesdropped on everyone else in the House without ever needing to stand.

The truth is that when the House met in Statuary Hall, there were carpets covering the marble floors, which probably killed the “whispering hall” effect. But the plaque really is where Adams sat, and the Hall really was the meeting place for the House of Representatives until 1864.

I grew up in the DC area and have been to this building where I heard bounced whispers there which were pretty clear.

• #3,889
Of fictional princesses, I don't remember what Cinderella was about. :confused:

Edit:

vX22VTM.gif

Attachments

• vX22VTM.gif
    vX22VTM.gif
    1 MB · Views: 315
Last edited:
  • #3,890
BillTre said:
This sounds like a phenomenon in the US capitol where the House of Representatives used to meet.
Legend has it that this effect was used by some to eavesdrop on otherwise cryptic conversations political opponents were having.I grew up in the DC area and have been to this building where I heard bounced whispers there which were pretty clear.
Only voices I hear from time to time are just whispers : Sizzler!

• #3,891
I forgot to mention that I walked past her hours before that smoke and popped into just say Hi. When I said Hi, she said 'shyster' under her breath before turning around. I just wanted to offer her a mint. Her hands where full so she opened her mouth for me to put the mint in there.

After the shyster comment and her showing me that text, I figured she was telling me to back off. I didn't flirt with her today. I wasn't really flirting before. Just returning her advances. This morning I signed in and a few people were there including her. I didn't say anything and just signed. She said Hi and I said good morning. I went to walk off but she told me to wait for her as she wanted to get a cup of water and gave me her bag. We were in the lift and I said "Thank f**k for Friday". She said "what?". I said, "It's Friday. I'm going out for a few beers at the pub tonight". She said, "I've never been to an English pub. I want to go, but I can't go alone you know?" I said, "Maybe one day we can go out of a few drinks". She said, "that'll be great" and smiled.

I went to her floor to say hi to my coworkers as I do everyday and see if they need my help with anything. I like the random banter. I've been doing that before she started work there. I didn't go to see her in her section as it seemed a bit weird. She saw me and came over to ask why I was on her floor. I told her I visit there each morning to say hi and went back upstairs as per usual.

Near the end of my shift, she went upstairs to see me. I was browsing on my phone. She said something random and started browsing on her phone. She keeps trying to catch me alone to see if I'll try it on. That's how she works.

From Monday, we're getting moved to the same floor which will be a little awkward tbh. My manager asked me how well I work with her. I said that we work well. She said "Don't go making love up there" I said "What?". She said, "I'm not stupid ok?".

My manager is playing Cupid's arrow. It's all just fun and games though :)

• #3,892
skyshrimp said:
I forgot to mention that I walked past her hours before that smoke and popped into just say Hi. When I said Hi, she said 'shyster' under her breath before turning around. I just wanted to offer her a mint. Her hands where full so she opened her mouth for me to put the mint in there.

After the shyster comment and her showing me that text, I figured she was telling me to back off. I didn't flirt with her today. I wasn't really flirting before. Just returning her advances. This morning I signed in and a few people were there including her. I didn't say anything and just signed. She said Hi and I said good morning. I went to walk off but she told me to wait for her as she wanted to get a cup of water and gave me her bag. We were in the lift and I said "Thank f**k for Friday". She said "what?". I said, "It's Friday. I'm going out for a few beers at the pub tonight". She said, "I've never been to an English pub. I want to go, but I can't go alone you know?" I said, "Maybe one day we can go out of a few drinks". She said, "that'll be great" and smiled.

I went to her floor to say hi to my coworkers as I do everyday and see if they need my help with anything. I like the random banter. I've been doing that before she started work there. I didn't go to see her in her section as it seemed a bit weird. She saw me and came over to ask why I was on her floor. I told her I visit there each morning to say hi and went back upstairs as per usual.

Near the end of my shift, she went upstairs to see me. I was browsing on my phone. She said something random and started browsing on her phone. She keeps trying to catch me alone to see if I'll try it on. That's how she works.

From Monday, we're getting moved to the same floor which will be a little awkward tbh. My manager asked me how well I work with her. I said that we work well. She said "Don't go making love up there" I said "What?". She said, "I'm not stupid ok?".

My manager is playing Cupid's arrow. It's all just fun and games though :)
Hope this is not too much into politics, and sorry if it is, but remember we are living in ## Me Too times, so be cautious.

• #3,893
Logoff sounds like an Eastern European last name.

• #3,894
The streaming channel Twitch has been running a Classic Doctor Who marathon for the last few weeks(week days only). They started with the First Doctor and they are now up to the Fourth Doctor. They usually average ~15 episodes a day (depending on the number of eps in each serial) and then repeat. So I have been ODing on Doctor Who lately.

Last night while they were in the second run through of the day's episodes, I switched over to watching the Mariners playing the Red Sox. During a break for a video review, I could swear that I could softly hear the Doctor Who theme playing. Nothing in the house was streaming Twitch at the time, and I had almost convinced myself that I had imagined it (After all, I had been hearing that theme played an average of 30 times a day for a number of weeks.), When my wife said, "Do you hear the Doctor Who theme?". They were obviously playing it in the ball park during the video review break. ( And if someone posts that they don't use the Doctor Who theme at Fenway park, then both my wife and I are losing it.)

• #3,895
WWGD said:
Logoff sounds like an Eastern European last name.

And Mueslix sounds more like something you might cough up in the morning rather than eat.

Likes Bystander
  • #3,896
Germany wins 2-1 against Sweden, last minute goal.

• #3,897
Janus said:
And Mueslix sounds more like something you might cough up in the morning rather than eat.
It also tastes like it ;).

• #3,898
CWatters said:
Today while talking to my wife in the garden my voice suddenly sounded all weird for a few seconds. Most disconcerting. As I moved my head this weird effect came and went. Quickly discovered that I was standing right at the focal point of the small curved wall around my patio and it was reflecting the sound back to me. The sweet spot appears to be quite small, only about 1 square foot in area. Quite an amazing effect given the wall is only 4 courses of bricks high. My teenage kids were suitably freaked out when I got them to stand there.
Your story reminds me of the "Whispering Gallery" in Grand Central Station, New York City.

• #3,899
This lady from mad TV last name weir married a guy with last name dasz . No joke, they made a company weir-dasz productions

• #3,900
I assume they thought this would save marketing costs. Unfortunately for them, they made the calculation without people's subconsciousness. Typical case of: not thought to the end.

I once lived in an apartment building with neighbors named Buse (her name, Busen= bosom) and Bock (his name, = buck).

• #3,901
If she is a boy and he is a girl, what do you think are my grades in English class?

• #3,902
fresh_42 said:
I assume they thought this would save marketing costs. Unfortunately for them, they made the calculation without people's subconsciousness. Typical case of: not thought to the end.

I once lived in an apartment building with neighbors named Buse (her name, Busen= bosom) and Bock (his name, = buck).
But they are comedians , so it may be in their favor.

• #3,903
There is this ( I assume) half insane woman in coffee shop that gives people the finger while pretending to scratch her face. Talk about advantages of being a woman. she has been doing this for months now. If she was a man, she (_he) would have been challenged for a fight long ago.

• #3,904
I started doing push-ups regularly and after a while, one day, I felt like a small sense of confidence that I could do one arm push-ups. It was as if without trying, I could clearly gauge my own capacity at that point. Got myself on the ground and to my surprise, I could do them!

It felt really good. I was like: "Oof. I'm strong." :-p

But once I was able to do it, I realized that it didn't require that much strength to do one arm push-ups. It wasn't something that required hard training to achieve. Although I'm not sure if the weight of the person influences the amount of training needed by that person. I have always been light. Whenever I'm moving something heavy, I always get told that the object can lift me, rather than the other way around :oldlaugh:.

So the random thought that crossed my mind is that when one exercises regularly, one sort of gets a feeling of one's own capacity to perform a certain task. Whether you can do it easily or whether it will cost you. I don't know how to explain it. You just can assess the situation and your capacities better than when you don't exercise at all.

• #3,905
Psinter said:
I started doing push-ups regularly and after a while, one day, I felt like a small sense of confidence that I could do one arm push-ups. It was as if without trying, I could clearly gauge my own capacity at that point. Got myself on the ground and to my surprise, I could do them!

It felt really good. I was like: "Oof. I'm strong." :-p

But once I was able to do it, I realized that it didn't require that much strength to do one arm push-ups. It wasn't something that required hard training to achieve. Although I'm not sure if the weight of the person influences the amount of training needed by that person. I have always been light. Whenever I'm moving something heavy, I always get told that the object can lift me, rather than the other way around :oldlaugh:.

So the random thought that crossed my mind is that when one exercises regularly, one sort of gets a feeling of one's own capacity to perform a certain task. Whether you can do it easily or whether it will cost you. I don't know how to explain it. You just can assess the situation and your capacities better than when you don't exercise at all.
How about one-finger push-ups? Any time soon? ( Don't try it , may fracture the finger)

• #3,906
WWGD said:
How about one-finger push-ups? Any time soon? ( Don't try it , may fracture the finger)
Not at all. I can push-up my finger without any noteworthy efforts as often as I like.

Likes Psinter
  • #3,907
Woman in coffee shop giving the finger more openly today, no pretense of scratching her face. Kind of funny but sad to see deranged people outside of special housing.

• #3,908
WWGD said:
Woman in coffee shop giving the finger more openly today, no pretense of scratching her face. Kind of funny but sad to see deranged people outside of special housing.
Well, at least a sign of honesty :biggrin:

• #3,909
WWGD said:
:oldlaugh:

Perhaps one day. :DD

Trying to use wax to remove some parts of my eyebrows for a longer lasting look and it ripped my skin off. Now I have a red-brown patch where the bright red thin layer of blood was. And it didn't remove the hairs! Just the skin! I look awesome now. Thank you :rolleyes:.

Looking for a solution I feel overwhelmed by the amount of makeup products in the cosmetics section. How do people even know what to use? Time to visit YouTube for makeup tutorials.

• #3,910
Why not glue the hairs and skin together in the brow area?Or just draw in some brows with a crayon, uncle Leo style (Seinfeld)?

• #3,911
It goes beyond deciding if app is short for application or appetizer.

• #3,912
Windows' error messages have changed from :
Windows has run into an error...
to:
Your PC has run into an error...

• #3,913
WWGD said:
Why don't you date her? :oldlaugh:

Crazy ones make for good dates :DD.

JFOwC36.jpg

Just kidding. Don't go there.

But following that line of thoughts, I think I once heard someone say to not think that you can change someone. Looks like some people who date, think they can change parts of their partners that they don't like. That they can convince them to be different. And it somehow doesn't go as expected.

Attachments

• JFOwC36.jpg
    JFOwC36.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
  • #3,914
Psinter said:

View attachment 227562

But following that line of thoughts, I think I once heard someone say to not think that you can change someone. Looks like some people who date, think they can change parts of their partners that they don't like. That they can convince them to be different.
You mean like their eyebrows? :).

Likes Psinter
  • #3,915
Psinter said:

View attachment 227562

But following that line of thoughts, I think I once heard someone say to not think that you can change someone. Looks like some people who date, think they can change parts of their partners that they don't like. That they can convince them to be different. And it somehow doesn't go as expected.
But, you have a point dating wise. I have a magnetic personality:every deranged person around seems to find me and approach me.

Likes Psinter
  • #3,916
I finally understood why a matrix is a (1,1) -tensor. After like a year.

• #3,917
WWGD said:
But, you have a point dating wise. I have a magnetic personality:every deranged person around seems to find me and approach me.
I know this characteristic too well. Always thought it's only me ...

• #3,918
WWGD said:
I finally understood why a matrix is a (1,1) -tensor. After like a year.
And now for the next lesson: it's also a (2,0) or a (0,2) tensor. :biggrin:

Likes Ibix
  • #3,919
WWGD said:
Back in undergrad days I was chatting to a friend in the corridor when a girl we both knew came round the corner, took one look at my friend, said "oh!" and went haring off back round the corner. I gave him a "that was weird" kind of look and he shrugs and says "It's my animal magnetism - I just need to figure out how to flip the polarity..."

(She showed up again two minutes later with a book he'd lent her.)

• #3,920
fresh_42 said:
And now for the next lesson: it's also a (2,0) or a (0,2) tensor. :biggrin:
...and only if it's got the right transformation laws.