What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,921
Ibix said:
...and only if it's got the right transformation laws.
I found the answer through meditation : Hom, Hom,...

Likes fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,922
Ibix said:
...and only if it's got the right transformation laws.
Only for physicists. For me it's only important how many asterisks are involved! That's sufficient for me to know what to do. And don't bring up co- and contravariances. My book about homological algebra uses them differently anyway.

• #3,923
fresh_42 said:
Only for physicists. For me it's only important how many asterisks are involved! That's sufficient for me to know what to do. And don't bring up co- and contravariances. My book about homological algebra uses them differently anyway.
OK, but still you have a condition over and above being a square matrix. The Christoffel connection coefficients are representible by an NxNxN matrix, but aren't a tensor.

• #3,924
Every "rectangle" collection of numbers in any dimension can be interpreted as a tensor, a cube is just ##\sum x \otimes y \otimes z##.

• #3,925
Can be interpreted as, sure. But can be interpreted otherwise too (e.g. the connection). So I object to the "is" part of "a matrix is a tensor".

• #3,926
Ibix said:
OK, but still you have a condition over and above being a square matrix. The Christoffel connection coefficients are representible by an NxNxN matrix, but aren't a tensor.
But isn't a matrix just a 2D array? Or maybe it is the confusion of notational/definitional differencees?

• #3,927
It's the old discussion what a transformation and what its matrix is. A tensor to me is simply an element of a tensor algebra, resp. space, if only tensors of equal rank are involved. As soon as I have a basis of the constituent vector spaces, I have a cube or whatever a matrix (not necessarily square) in higher dimensions shall be called. Their use by physicists makes me dizzy. It always sounds curved somehow, but it's flat as a board.

Last edited:
  • #3,928
fresh_42 said:
Every "rectangle" collection of numbers in any dimension can be interpreted as a tensor, a cube is just #\sum x \otimes y \otimes z##.
What type of or theory of Homology are you using?

• #3,929
WWGD said:
What type of or theory of Homology are you using?
Covariance and contravariance determines, whether a functor keeps the direction of mapping arrows or converts them. I have never seen a second category by the way physicists use these terms - there are always only vector spaces present. If at all, it's the transition ##V \rightarrow V^*##, but they attach it to either ##V## or ##V^*##, so again no second category.

• #3,930
fresh_42 said:
It's the old discussion what a transformation and what its matrix is. A tensor to me is simply an element of a tensor algebra, resp. space, if only tensors of equal rank are involved. As soon as I have a basis of the constituent vector spaces, I have a cube or whatever a matrix (not necessarily square) in higher dimensions shall be called. Their use by physicists makes me dizzy. It always sounds curved somehow, but it's flat as a board.
This looks more like geometric algebra. Or Simplicial.

• #3,931
WWGD said:
This looks more like geometric algebra. Or Simplicial.
No, it looks like homological algebra, the category thingies, at least the books are titled so, both, the English and the German ones.

• #3,932
Ibix said:
Can be interpreted as, sure. But can be interpreted otherwise too (e.g. the connection). So I object to the "is" part of "a matrix is a tensor".
So it depends on what "is" is?

• #3,933
Yo mama so fat , when she walks around the house... she _really_ walks around the house.

• #3,934
Whenever you get a new job and meet your new co-workers:

oLG93mr.gif

Edit:

Scene from the movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguins_of_Madagascar

Attachments

• oLG93mr.gif
    oLG93mr.gif
    595.2 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Likes Borg
  • #3,935
Can someone please find a word for "Erkenntnis". The only possibility I see is "knowledge", but there is a fundamental difference between knowing something and understood something! Too bad we don't have philosophy here. I would be very interested which consequences it has to a society, that only knows things and doesn't care about "Erkenntnis".

And, no, re-cognition doesn't count. It's only to realize what's already known. I'm looking for the knowledge behind "Eureka!".

• #3,936
fresh_42 said:
Can someone please find a word for "Erkenntnis". The only possibility I see is "knowledge", but there is a fundamental difference between knowing something and understood something! Too bad we don't have philosophy here. I would be very interested which consequences it has to a society, that only knows things and doesn't care about "Erkenntnis".

And, no, re-cognition doesn't count. It's only to realize what's already known. I'm looking for the knowledge behind "Eureka!".
Insight?

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,937
Jonathan Scott said:
Insight?
Oh, I haven't thought about this one. Probably because it means something different in German. Insight here reflects on a revised and corrected position, or the possibility to view formerly closed documents.

• #3,938
Have you even laughed so hard that you could literally feel your ab muscles ripping?

• #3,939
Are rainbows chromatic aberrations, or vice versa?

Likes collinsmark
  • #3,940
I've incidentally found a place in town today where people can actually play boules - people who played it inclusively.

• #3,941
OmCheeto said:
Are rainbows chromatic aberrations, or vice versa?
They're more or less a product of chromatic aberration, yes. I'm not sure you can really call it chromatic aberration when it's not part of an optical system designed to form an achromatic image, but it's the same root cause, certainly.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #3,942
fresh_42 said:
I've incidentally found a place in town today where people can actually play boules - people who played it inclusively.
I play boules
(I need no tools)
Against fools
While eating moules.

• #3,943
Ibix said:
I play boules
(I need no tools)
Against fools
While eating moules.
Correction: Pétanque.

Your turn.

• #3,944
fresh_42 said:
Correction: Pétanque.

Your turn.
I'll be frank
I play petanque
But I don't clank
'less I bring my tank.

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,945
Ibix said:
I'll be frank
I play petanque
But I don't clank
'less I bring my tank.
You know this doesn't work with the actual pronunciation?
Our town is considered the most multi-cultural in Germany, but I didn't know that French belong to this mixture.

Likes Ibix
  • #3,946
fresh_42 said:
You know this doesn't work with the actual pronunciation?
Our town is considered the most multi-cultural in Germany, but I didn't know that French belong to this mixture.
It works with the usual anglicised pronunciation. And just Googling it (from an English computer in England, anyway) gives me the same pronunciation. How's it supposed to be pronounced?

• #3,947
Ibix said:
How's it supposed to be pronounced?
[peˈtaŋkɔ]
There is no correspondence to the French nasal syllables in English. Frank was o.k., since the French pronounce it similar, but then I don't think there is a way to make it rhyme in English. That's why I corrected boules. :wink:

Likes Ibix
  • #3,948
Hmm. Google is offering pəˈtaŋk - which I think is the same except it's missing the final symbol - and the "listen to the pronunciation" comes out so that it rhymes with frank/clank/tank. But I do vaguely recall how to pronounce frank (or, at least, franc). And there won't be much that rhymes with that in English. As you say, we don't have that sort of sound.

Anyway, my doggerel works in English. And I'm speaking English. Not my fault if foreigners can't pronounce their own language right. :wink:

Likes fresh_42
  • #3,949
I just looked it up, out of curiosity, and the statistic counts more than 300 French in town, and only a bit over 200 from UK. I would have expected more. At least the 330 are enough to explain a boules match.

• #3,950
Ibix said:
Not my fault if foreigners can't pronounce their own language right.
Are we talking about the Haggis people?

• #3,951
fresh_42 said:
Are we talking about the Haggis people?
Haggises are people? I thought they were furry creatures with one leg shorter than the other from running round hills. You catch them by scaring them into running the wrong way round a hill, then catching them in a net as they roll down the hill.

• #3,952
Ibix said:
Haggises are people? I thought they were furry creatures with one leg shorter than the other from running round hills. You catch them by scaring them into running the wrong way round a hill, then catching them in a net as they roll down the hill.
I always suspected these things were alive - no wonder Nessie is hiding. ... Are they related to fried Mars bars?

• #3,953
fresh_42 said:
I always suspected these things were alive - no wonder Nessie is hiding. ... Are they related to fried Mars bars?
No - unlike haggis trapping and Nessie, those are real. :oldruck:

• #3,954
Ibix said:
They're more or less a product of chromatic aberration, yes. I'm not sure you can really call it chromatic aberration when it's not part of an optical system designed to form an achromatic image, but it's the same root cause, certainly.
Thanks! That was my thought.

Likes Ibix
  • #3,955
Ibix said:
So is it the real life or is it just fantasy...?