What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #3,991
WWGD said:
I used to think a fellowship is one where everyone must call you 'fellow'.
It's hard to be a fellower of either these times ... No time to be anglophile.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,992
fresh_42 said:
It's hard to be a fellower of either these times ... No time to be anglophile.
Komrad/Tovarich then?

• #3,993
Well, at least the French seemingly don't want to change a winning team! So how about "copain"?

• #3,994
fresh_42 said:
Well, at least the French seemingly don't want to change a winning team! So how about "copain"?
Prijatelj?

• #3,995
WWGD said:
Prijatelj?
Good idea. Apart from American Handegg (Patriots) I like underdogs.

• #3,996
Interesting book on positive emotions and their goal . Good thing they called the book Positivity and nor Positivism.

• #3,997
fresh_42 said:
Good idea. Apart from American Handegg (Patriots) I like underdogs.
I like my dogs with coleslaw.

• #3,998
Croatia makes it!

• #3,999
fresh_42 said:
Probably better so. I don't think that the Belgians would have had a good chance against Croatia ...
WWGD said:
Croatia makes it!
:biggrin:

Likes WWGD
  • #4,000
fresh_42 said:
And I won a chocolate bar and water as a result. I am betting on Croatia on the final. Habout you, freshmeister?

• #4,001
fresh_42 said:
I am betting on Croatia for the final. Are you, freshmeister?
PS. My condolences, Ibix. Your autocorrect name is Inbox, it seems.

• #4,002
I think I keep my strategy: Self-preservation.

We have 3650 Croatians in town but only 215 British.
Well, it's 329 French ...

• #4,003
I just mixed Red Bull and orange juice in a pint glass full to the top with ice. I made it sour with a little ascorbic acid.

greatscott.gif

I'll try it with pineapple juice next.

Attachments

• greatscott.gif
    greatscott.gif
    407.7 KB · Views: 668
Likes Psinter
  • #4,004
skyshrimp said:
I just mixed Red Bull and orange juice in a pint glass full to the top with ice. I made it sour with a little ascorbic acid.

View attachment 227995

I'll try it with pineapple juice next.
That's how many drinks are born. Start thinking of a name for it!

Likes Psinter
  • #4,005
It's not the same to call a lion as to see a lion running towards you.

• #4,006
Should I say 'Math' or should I say 'Mathematics'?

XnRcvg9.jpg

Attachments

• XnRcvg9.jpg
    XnRcvg9.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 610
Likes Craftek_Ana
  • #4,007
Just thought that [Name]'s SAS Tutorials could have been named better...Otherwise, kind of contrived to have a tutorial for it. EDIT: Although no one's name would escape this. Just like the name of the Sushi place " Sushiteria" Just careful how you break the name down: Su -what?.

Last edited:
  • #4,008
Psinter said:
Should I say 'Math' or should I say 'Mathematics'?

View attachment 228063
British say Maths.

Likes Psinter and pinball1970
  • #4,009
WWGD said:
British say Maths.
I have a hypothesis: If Europe - {UK , IRL} would start to drive on the left, it would take at most a month until UK started to drive on the right. Eventually the only way to change this. I'm not quite sure about Eire. Guess they wouldn't change anything in the first place.

• #4,010
fresh_42 said:
I have a hypothesis: If Europe - {UK , IRL} would start to drive on the left, it would take at most a month until UK started to drive on the right. Eventually the only way to change this. I'm not quite sure about Eire. Guess they wouldn't change anything in the first place.
Why not just drive in reverse all the way?

• #4,011
WWGD said:
Why not just drive in reverse all the way?
I immediately thought of a Dutch DAF 600 such that it would make at least fun. But then I recognized, that probably every electric powered car can run as fast in reverse as in normal. Finally I understood what they're good for!

• #4,012
Problem with CC is its speed. Meanwhile we have the weather of Madrid but the opening hours of Glasgow. :mad:

• #4,013
Weird problem: webpage suddenly stops displaying scrollbar. Navigating that page was like drinking coffee with a fork. Solved it finally. EDIT: And the scrollbar disappeared again.

Last edited:
  • #4,014
WWGD said:
Weird problem: webpage suddenly stops displaying scrollbar. Navigating that page was like drinking coffee with a fork. Solved it finally. EDIT: And the scrollbar disappeared again.
I told you Schrödinger.com was a bad idea!

• #4,015
fresh_42 said:
I told you Schrödinger.com was a bad idea!
And back on...Strange thing is that it is only this one webpage.

• #4,016
WWGD said:
I guess that's what programming is about. Everybody can find a bug in a code, but these little, devious sometimes thingies are mean as hell.

• #4,017
fresh_42 said:
I guess that's what programming is about. Everybody can find a bug in a code, but these little, devious sometimes thingies are mean as hell.
Why, what's wrong with these programmers, can't they just consider the [infinitely many] ways in which the program [OS] can be implemented?

Likes Ibix
  • #4,018
I never forget when I searched for a PL/I error on a big machine. It was driving me mad. I had a few loops by integers around zero. All started well until all of a sudden my small integers became something like -12363 or similar. In the end it turned out to be a compiler error on automatically initialized variables. One could have "declare i integer; 0" or similar, don't remember exactly. The solution was to forget about the implicit init and do it per hand: declare i followed by set i=0. If you're desperate enough you change even seemingly correct code lines.

Likes Ibix
  • #4,019
Many years ago I knew a gentleman who was a mathematician at one of the large aerospace companies. He was running calculations on satellite orbits, rocket trajectories, etc. These were batch jobs being run on large main-frame computers, often over-night runs.

Trouble was he would sometimes get conflicting results. Much head scratching and debugging ensued; some repeated runs would have different trig calculation results with the same input data. After discussions with the computer department manager, it was realized there were two 'identical' machines the calcs could be run on.

The computer manufacturer field rep eventually discovered that the two machines had different versions of the Floating Point Unit hardware. There had been a redesign to fix a bug, but the upgrade hadn't made it to both machines!

Takeaway: NO two things are identical!

Likes Ibix
  • #4,020
WWGD said:
Next time it happens, try resizing your browser slightly. It will have to recalculate the window size and the scrollbar should return.

Likes WWGD
  • #4,021
Tom.G said:
... batch jobs being run on large main-frame computers, often over-night runs.
Bringing back memories of many sleepless nights waiting for an output.
220px-Used_Punchcard_%285151286161%29.jpg

Attachments

• 220px-Used_Punchcard_%285151286161%29.jpg
    220px-Used_Punchcard_%285151286161%29.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 215
  • #4,022
Do the chickens have large talons?

• #4,023
skyshrimp said:
Do the chickens have large talons?
Looks like they do. I mean, did you see the holes they made in @dlgoff's piece of paper? And they bit off one corner too!

Likes dlgoff and Tom.G
  • #4,024
dlgoff said:
Bringing back memories of many sleepless nights waiting for an output.
That reminds me of a story they told at the National Computing Museum. They have a very early relay-based computer there. Apparently the guys who used it wanted to leave it running over Christmas once, but wanted to be able to check it hadn't crashed. But no one wanted to sit in a freezing Nissen hut and miss Christmas dinner if the program hadn't died.

Because the computer was relay based it was noisy, and you could recognise the different noises it made doing different operations. So they rigged an auto-pickup for the lab phone, and dialled it periodically to listen in on how the program was progressing.

I love that story.

Likes WWGD and dlgoff
  • #4,025
Ibix said:
I love that story.
:oldlove: Awesome. Now I've got that story to pass on. :oldlove:

Likes Ibix