What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #5,286
Klystron said:
For what it is worth...For years I thought people were saying Hairy Krishnas. But most shave their heads!? Time to sleep...
I didn't make the connection between the two refs.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #5,287
Courtesy of axiomatic set theory:
If it swims and quacks like a duck then it is a set.

• Haha
  • Skeptical
Likes collinsmark, fresh_42, Klystron and 1 other person
  • #5,288
nuuskur said:
Do you allow me to copy this and make a science joke out of it? I have an idea for an illustration.

• #5,289
fresh_42 said:
Do you allow me to copy this and make a science joke out of it? I have an idea for an illustration.
Go ahead! I doubt it's an original idea, I mean that's what set theory says: if it exists, then it's a set.

I found the English version of the idea I was using. We have a similar saying.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
  • #5,290
nuuskur said:
That might fit on a nerdy T-shirt. (I pretty much exclusively wear nerdy T-shirts these days.) Hmm.

• #5,291
That feel...

When you make a thread about something not serious in 'off topic' and it gets moved to a serious subforum, only to be ridiculed and locked, when it was made in jest for the lols (hence being posted in off topic).

Y-U-No.jpg

• #5,292
I wonder what would make someone park in the opposite direction of traffic, granted it was a residential street but the car would still be on the same side as their house if parked properly 🤷‍♀️

• #5,293
Bought some roller blades, rat poison and a chicken sandwich. Interesting combinations you can find in large chain stores.

• #5,294
WWGD said:
Bought some roller blades, rat poison and a chicken sandwich. Interesting combinations you can find in large chain stores.
Rat poison is too easily detectable.

• #5,295
fresh_42 said:
Rat poison is too easily detectable.
Yes, no wonder cashier only handed me two things. I suspect they merged it with the chicka...(argh).

Last edited:
  • #5,296
WWGD said:
Yes, no wonder cashier only handed me two things. I suspect they merged [the rat poison] with the chicka...(argh).
Heh, don't worry too much. If the rat poison is warfarin-based it's "only" going to make your blood less likely to clot. So if you're not a footballer, nor an MMA thug, etc, you might not even notice it. :oldbiggrin:

Likes WWGD
  • #5,297
This "instant" there are six members listed as present but the forum stats show eleven as "on board;" there are that many members afraid to show their faces?

• #5,298
Bystander said:
This "instant" there are six members listed as present but the forum stats show eleven as "on board;" there are that many members afraid to show their faces?
I doubt 'afraid' is the operative term. Reluctant?
Or they set a profile/privacy switch without deep thought.
Or2 visitors are included? :bow: {the tiny icon is counting 1,2,3...}

• #5,299
Klystron said:
profile/privacy switch
"Prolly," nine of eighteen, at one point last night; my eyes get confused counting more than three rows of listed identities, so I'll never know if its mods hiding/lurking in ambush, therefore an ~ constant, or a fixed proportion of the PF population.

• #5,300
Bystander said:
nine of eighteen,
Twenty-six of thirty-eight.

Edit: Twenty-seven of forty-two.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #5,301
Oh god... I've changed jobs and tomorrow is my last day. I think some have planned a leaving do thing near the end of my shift.

Do not want. I know there's a card. Not sure if cake.

• #5,302
skyshrimp said:
Oh god... I've changed jobs and tomorrow is my last day. I think some have planned a leaving do thing near the end of my shift.

Consider it a preview of your funeral service; unwilling guest of honor and all.

• #5,303
skyshrimp said:
How strongly do you feel that? Most bosses where I am would listen if I said I really didn't want a leaving do. Depends on culture where you work, of course.

• #5,304
The other day I was following along with the course of a PF HW problem, when I decided to try something new, as distances involved varied by 5 orders of magnitude, from shortest to longest, and doodling a map where you could see all the lengths and lines and angles and distances seemed out of the question.

Drawing maps logarithmically, does not seem to work.

2019.09.18.log.lengths.png

The thread had to do with eclipses, and I was trying to work out some angle for the edge of the penumbra to touch the earth.

Logarithmically, the moon is about half way to the sun from the earth.
But, measured from the sun...
Let's just say, that I'll not be trying this maths trick again.

ps. It did give me a giggle, when I ran across one possible explanation of how one of Frank Zappa's kids got their name:

2019.09.19.moon.units.png

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #5,305
That maths problem did prompt me to finally work out whether or not god used logarithmic time.

2019.09.19.logarithmic.time.png

As far as I can tell, she did.

• #5,306
@OmCheeto, I like your "Ohm tries to interpret what "god" says happened" in your table.

In my opinion, this is a basic limitation of any ancient text's interpretation of modern concepts.
The guys back then, upon receiving God's explanation of the universe, did not have the conceptual framework in which they could have understood it (no chemistry, no physics (other than common knowledge, no biology).
Any knowledge they received could not have been understood.
Or if it was not properly communicated.

No comment on today's knowledge levels.

• #5,307
I was just amazed that given only 2 time points*, that each 'god' day seemed to correspond so well to some actual Earth era/event.

-----
big bang, day 1, 13.8 billion years
mankind shows up, day 6, 2 million years

ps. I like to think that there might have been something to that old Star Trek episode: Distant Origin
Those Hadrosaurs came back 3000 years ago, told us what happened, and we've been arguing about it ever since.

• #5,308
skyshrimp said:

good luck✨ skyshrimp farewell parties can be awkward like a 2-week notice, but cake is always good 🍰

• #5,309
A: " I didn't catch your name"
B: " I didn't throw it"

• #5,310
Anyone who forgets about benefits of moderated sites , notice/remember the types of questions allowed in unmoderated sites:

"So, is it true all the novels ever written appear in the expansion of infinite numbers like pie (##\pi##)"?

Likes QuantumQuest and Klystron
  • #5,311
My social grace. Someone tells me "See you later" and I reply: "You too!".

• #5,313
I am doubting elementary stuff like
[tex]
Y = Y_0\oplus Y_1 \Rightarrow Y/Y_0 \cong Y_1
[/tex]
Not feeling well today 🤢

• #5,314
Well, it would be wrong for ##Y=Y_0+Y_1##.

3:17 at 36'
13:23 (final)

Last edited:
  • #5,315
Read this somewhere:
My sister is pregnant , but I don't know if it is a boy or girl, so I don't know if I am going to be an aunt or an uncle...

• Haha
Likes nuuskur and QuantumQuest
  • #5,316
nuuskur said:
I am doubting elementary stuff like
[tex]
Y = Y_0\oplus Y_1 \Rightarrow Y/Y_0 \cong Y_1
[/tex]
Not feeling well today 🤢
Iirc, it has to see with the associated SES splitting.

• #5,317
For every sensible question I will have asked a hundred stupid ones.

• #5,318
This guy still walking around in Sandals, shorts and t-shirt. I told him: " Let it go, man, Summer is over. I was sad too. " But there is hope with global warming, not(with)standing Greta (Nor Hansel, I guess).

• #5,319
Tv is not always bad. Just watched, i.e. listened to a lecture by a Harvard anthropologist about the decline of various civilizations (Maya, Easter Islands, a certain conflict in the medieval Japan, etc.). It was very interesting and completely up to date. He closed with the statement that he is cautiously optimistic, because nowadays we have several communication networks which allow us to learn from catastrophes elsewhere and elsewhen.

I was stunned as they said at the end that it was from 2005. I would like to ask him whether he is still optimistic.

• #5,320
fresh_42 said:
Tv is not always bad. Just watched, i.e. listened to a lecture by a Harvard anthropologist about the decline of various civilizations (Maya, Easter Islands, a certain conflict in the medieval Japan, etc.). It was very interesting and completely up to date. He closed with the statement that he is cautiously optimistic, because nowadays we have several communication networks which allow us to learn from catastrophes elsewhere and elsewhen.

I was stunned as they said at the end that it was from 2005. I would like to ask him whether he is still optimistic.
Sad thing is channels like nat geo, discovery, which intended to provide serious programs ended up jumping the shark because,it seems, people today only want entertainment and not having to do any serious thinking.