What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
Sophia said:
OMG that conversation must have been hilarious :) How did it continue?
Eventually, things were worked out. I was refunded for the missing item, which I then had to re-order.

[Edit: although the shipping & handling on the nothing was not refunded, so I lost out on that.]

Likes Ibix and Sophia
Physics news on Phys.org
collinsmark said:
[Edit: although the shipping & handling on the nothing was not refunded, so I lost out on that.]
I have a mental image of warehouse and postal staff miming taking an item off the shelf, packing it, posting it... You should mime entering your card number.

Ibix said:
Code:
$ ping -O peppermint
no answer yet for icmp_seq=54 
no answer yet for icmp_seq=55
no answer yet for icmp_seq=56
Definitely there will be no answer unless you ping me with -l option.

collinsmark said:
"So, you want me to mail you an empty box? In what size of box should I put the nothing?"
Shouldn't matter, as long as it won't get broken in the shipping process. And of course in its original wrapping!

Sometimes when I go into a donut shop I wonder how they crull the crullers.

zoobyshoe said:
Thanks for ruining the awesome mystery!
awww my poor Zooby! I'm so sorry! Don't worry, Santa Claus, easter bunny, tooth fairy and Chuck Norris really do exist!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Pepper Mint
zoobyshoe said:
Sometimes when I go into a donut shop I wonder how they crull the crullers.
I've once seen live how professional bakers formed pretzels. Unbelievable.

Phone rang to call me again and again. Now I know why the word 'phony' comes into existence.
But I like it a lot. Call me more and more pleaaaaasssse...

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
WWGD said:
For some reason the batteries in my TV remote ended up being extremely hot. I checked and I had not left the
remote anywhere near any main source of heat like a lamp, kitchen. And it is not likely I had done so because the
remote is made of plastic and pretty likely would have melted. Still scratching my head.
Scratch no more.

One plausible explanation is that something happened within the chemicals and/or metals inside the battery which caused the internal resistance to increase to a level such that the draining flow of current of even pressing a button for less than 1 second made it hot.

Another plausible explanation is that the control hardware opened a circuit somewhere for a while and the batteries were short circuited with one another. Since it is a short between the batteries and no other circuit is participating, they get hot in some time. Very unlikely, though.
collinsmark said:
I actually asked for clarification, "So, you want me to mail you an empty box? In what size of box should I put the nothing?"
The Nothingness is actually a character from a fiction story. "The Nothingness" corrupts and destroys. Everyone is scared of "The Nothingness". Except for a few warriors of course.

Likes WWGD
Psinter said:
Everyone is scared of "The Nothingness".
Not me. I have an infinite improbability drive.

This old lady's solution is forbidden here.

Likes Psinter
fresh_42 said:
It's sad how people don't know anything about this species of fish, but most people have had it some time in their life. Goldfish and bettas are the most neglected and misunderstood fish in the aquarist hobby. But no one cares because "they're just fish". We can flush them down the toilet.
It's just because they don't have facial expressions and we can't hear their sounds (yes, fish do communicate by sound) many almost don't consider them living creatures like other pets.
Then problems like this emerge.

Sophia said:
... But no one cares because "they're just fish". We can flush them down the toilet...
Oh No, I don't want to be a fish! :oldcry:Sometimes after leaving my own bathroom, I still feel very bad.
It's just because they don't have facial expressions and we can't hear their sounds (yes, fish do communicate by sound) many almost don't consider them living creatures like other pets.
Then problems like this emerge.
Yes, some people are rude, and Really they transmit their sounds to others in water ? I just can't talk under the water.

Pepper Mint said:
Oh No, I don't want to be a fish! :oldcry:Sometimes after leaving my own bathroom, I still feel very bad.
Yes, some people are rude, and Really they transmit their sounds to others in water ? I just can't talk under the water.
Yes, they do. They even have organs comparable to ears. We just can't hear them because they evolved for transmission of sound in water. But it can be recorded on special microphones. There's a very interesting book about fish senses, social structure and mental capacities.
It's called What a fish knows by Jonathan Balcombe. He's a biologist and quotes real research, so it's not some kind of new age "there's soul in everything" philosophy.

Sophia said:
It's called What a fish knows by Jonathan Balcombe. He's a biologist and quotes real research, so it's not some kind of new age "there's soul in everything" philosophy.
"Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake coming down from the trees in the first place, and some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no-one should ever have left the oceans." (D. Adams; Hitchhiker)

Likes Sophia
Pepper Mint said:
Someone looks hairless and is in latex protection. Yes, never touch the strange slimy fish without it.
Goodbye BK Fish Filet

It just seems like it is time for much of society to move forward: too many places I go to play only music from the 50s through the 80s,
sometimes 90s, but nothing from 2000 - on. As if people are stuck in the past, reliving it ad nauseam (my 1st chance to use this expression) in their heads, endlessly going on about how the new generation does not know what good music is. But then maybe the issue is with my going to old-fartish hangouts. I am no hip guy, I guess.

WWGD said:
too many places I go to play only music from the 50s through the 80s,
sometimes 90s, but nothing from 2000 - on.
Well, I mostly enjoy (and perform) music from the 1680s (e.g. Purcell) to the 1950s (e.g. Shostakovich Festive Overture), although there is some recent stuff I really like, such as the Star Wars music by John Williams (which is admittedly quite reminiscent of several early 20th century composers). Recent "music" is mostly too noisy, intrusive and monotonous for my taste, although some of it is fine.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, 1oldman2, Sophia and 1 other person
Jonathan Scott said:
... Recent "music" is mostly too noisy, intrusive and monotonous for my taste, although some of it is fine.

Likes RonL
Jonathan Scott said:
Well, I mostly enjoy (and perform) music from the 1680s (e.g. Purcell) to the 1950s (e.g. Shostakovich Festive Overture), although there is some recent stuff I really like, such as the Star Wars music by John Williams (which is admittedly quite reminiscent of several early 20th century composers). Recent "music" is mostly too noisy, intrusive and monotonous for my taste, although some of it is fine.

I think whatever we listened to in teenage years somehow imprints our brain for the rest of our life.

I like light classical, preferred it to what was on AM radio all through 60"s 70's. I earned title 'class weirdo' in Junior High School(1959) for answering the question "Who's your favorite group?" with "Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops" .
Though Fiedler did once say "Within a decade we will be playing The Beatles in concert halls" .
FiedlerBeatles.jpg

I guess they had some talent after all.old jim

Likes OmCheeto, 1oldman2 and Psinter
Common, man, there is some good stuff out there still.

WWGD said:
Common, man, there is some good stuff out there still.
Are ABBA re-united?

fresh_42 said:
Are ABBA re-united?
I think so, in the palindrome tour. They had just started playing the radio in my job (Pandora) and there was a lot of pretty good stuff.

WWGD said:
I think so, in the palindrome tour. They had just started playing the radio in my job (Pandora) and there was a lot of pretty good stuff.
I still have to think about the live concert of Iggy I saw these days on TV. He's been 68 at the time (2015) and rocked the whole arena (in France). Similar could be said about Keith or Tina. I have serious doubts that something like this will be said about nowadays "stars" as Beyonce, Miley or He-who-must-not-be-named.

jim hardy said:
I think whatever we listened to in teenage years somehow imprints our brain for the rest of our life.

I like light classical, preferred it to what was on AM radio all through 60"s 70's. I earned title 'class weirdo' in Junior High School(1959) for answering the question "Who's your favorite group?" with "Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops" .
Though Fiedler did once say "Within a decade we will be playing The Beatles in concert halls" .
View attachment 104882

I guess they had some talent after all.old jim
What? How about this? :devil:

Likes jim hardy
They killed the dog of a friend.

The veterinary said that it was too old and it could not recover. He said it was 126 years old when the average says it should have died a long time ago. That it was suffering.

So they put some kind of injection and killed it. Or so I was told, I wasn't there.

Edit: I don't know why the number of age so big. Never quite understood it. It might be some kind of convention. I don't know.

fresh_42 said:
I still have to think about the live concert of Iggy I saw these days on TV. He's been 68 at the time (2015) and rocked the whole arena (in France). Similar could be said about Keith or Tina. I have serious doubts that something like this will be said about nowadays "stars" as Beyonce, Miley or He-who-must-not-be-named.
Iggy renamed himself IggI to join the palindrome tour.

Likes fresh_42
WWGD said:
Iggy renamed himself IggI to join the palindrome tour.
No wonder, considering his full (stage) name. Guess he organizes the tour.